UK UK - John Bingham, 17th Earl of Lucan, Missing since 1974

Richard

Reaction score
John Bingham, 17th Earl of Lucan

john-bingham-7th-earl-of-lucan-pictured-working-on-the-news-photo-1580299346.jpg

His friends called him "Lucky."

In 1974, Britain, and later much of the rest of the world, was captivated by the brutal murder of a 29-year-old nanny named Sandra Rivett, and the rapid disappearance of the main suspect: an aristocrat named Richard John Bingham — or Lord Lucan.

It helped that Lucan was, according to The New York Times, a "dashing British aristocrat and army officer, known for his prowess at backgammon and bridge and his fondness for vodka martinis, powerboats, and Aston Martin cars."

It helped, too, that the murder took place in an apartment's dark basement, providing space for conjecture. What helped the most, though, was that Lucan disappeared forever, meaning no one could say for sure what happened.

LINK:
The riveting true story of Lord Lucan — the British aristocrat who killed his maid and disappeared forever

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current approved link (when available) and images as of November 14, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
A Tasmanian author, Heather Rose, has written a fictional book about Lord Lucan escaping and living under an alias in Tasmania. It is rather good.

The key word here is "Fictional". A killer of his high status and so well known internationally trying to live in obscurity in Tasmania is a bit like a New Yorker moving to Frostbite Falls, Minnesota and trying to blend in. The whole island of Tasmania is a bit like a small town anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there's no way they could possibly be the same person.
John Bingham, 17th Earl of Lucan

john-bingham-7th-earl-of-lucan-pictured-working-on-the-news-photo-1580299346.jpg

His friends called him "Lucky."

In 1974, Britain, and later much of the rest of the world, was captivated by the brutal murder of a 29-year-old nanny named Sandra Rivett, and the rapid disappearance of the main suspect: an aristocrat named Richard John Bingham — or Lord Lucan.

It helped that Lucan was, according to The New York Times, a "dashing British aristocrat and army officer, known for his prowess at backgammon and bridge and his fondness for vodka martinis, powerboats, and Aston Martin cars."

It helped, too, that the murder took place in an apartment's dark basement, providing space for conjecture. What helped the most, though, was that Lucan disappeared forever, meaning no one could say for sure what happened.

LINK:
The riveting true story of Lord Lucan — the British aristocrat who killed his maid and disappeared forever

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current approved link (when available) and images as of November 14, 2022>
I know his friends called him “Lucky”, but from what I understood from the Audiobook I listened to, his fortune was dwindling as a result of trying to be a professional gambler.

Yes, there's no way they could possibly be the same person.
The gentlemen who thinks his facial recognition algorithms have identified him, in my personal opinion, is too invested in the technology and I don’t think he can see the Forrest for the trees. Up until 3 years ago I was the main contractor looking after our cities Public CCTV System which had 500 Cameras. Facial recognition technology was just being introduced to the system then. I am not saying it was totally useless, it did result in some successful outcomes, but it was still really “hit and miss” for want of a better term. It was nowhere near 100% reliable and still required a lot of operator and police intervention to check and interpret the results. I don‘t think it’s accuracy will have improved radically in the past three years, especially if this result is anything to go by.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back