UK UK - Kate Bushell, 14, Exeter, Devon, 15 Nov 1997

My mum has lived in Exwick for her entire life. Her reasoning to why he did it as that he hugged her body when he found her. She believes he did it so the DNA on her body would not be suspicious.
Interesting theory. Always struck me as such a strange murder. The age of the victim, and the fact it didn't seem to be sexually motivated. She had a dog too, so if it was a stranger murder, how did the culprit know the dog wouldn't make a lot of noise or become aggressive? Also a remote area. Had to be a local man, and possibly someone Kate knew.
Could a Father commit this kind of murder against his own child? Not sure....

Interesting theory. Always struck me as such a strange murder. The age of the victim, and the fact it didn't seem to be sexually motivated. She had a dog too, so if it was a stranger murder, how did the culprit know the dog wouldn't make a lot of noise or become aggressive? Also a remote area. Had to be a local man, and possibly someone Kate knew.
Perhaps it was the brother and the parents covered it up. A teenager accidentally killing his sister in the spur of the moment during a fight sounds more realistic than a father killing his stepdaughter with no apparent motive.

IMO it's definitely a sexually motivated murder. Kate was stripped below the waist and the forensics certainly suggest a sexual element.

A dog isn't going to be a threat to an armed maniac, unless it's an aggressive Doberman, German Shepherd, Rottweiler etc. There was a similar case in the region where a man was scared off by an Alsatian IIRC. However, most dogs will cower or be no match for an aggressive man.

There are many cases where commuter offenders travel to quiet locations, and wait for lone females. I don't think it has to have been a local man.

IMO it's definitely a sexually motivated murder. Kate was stripped below the waist and the forensics certainly suggest a sexual element.

A dog isn't going to be a threat to an armed maniac, unless it's an aggressive Doberman, German Shepherd, Rottweiler etc. There was a similar case in the region where a man was scared off by an Alsatian IIRC. However, most dogs will cower or be no match for an aggressive man.

There are many cases where commuter offenders travel to quiet locations, and wait for lone females. I don't think it has to have been a local man.
What forensics suggest a sexual element?

What type of dog was it?

I don't think the dog provided any clues. From what I can remember, the dog was found unharmed in the area where the killer would have encountered Kate.

Kate was taken to an even more isolated spot, across a field and over two stiles. I'm not sure if the dog would or could have followed Kate and the killer.

IIRC Gemma was a neighbour's dog and Kate was walking her as a favour for the neighbours.

I'm not sure if the dog walking was a new arrangement, or a regular one.

I wonder if the owner usually walked Gemma at the same time of day, or on the same route. Was the owner an attractive 30 year old female, or a big and hairy 60 year old male farmer?

I also wonder who arranged for Kate to walk the dog.

Was it something she was really keen to do, or was it an unwanted errand?

A murdered schoolgirl whose body was discovered by her father, had her throat slashed, a post mortem showed.

Kate Bushell, 14, was found in a pool of blood in a field just 300 yards from her home.
Detective Superintendent Mike Stephens, who is leading the murder inquiry, said: "It was a mindless, ruthless attack, which ripped the girl's throat.
"This was a premeditated attack by a killer who had control of themselves and the victim."
Kate's dad, Jeremy, 44, called police on Saturday when she failed to return home from walking a dog belonging to neighbours.
Mr Bushell, of Exwick, Exeter, Devon, found the body when he searched the field with a police officer.
As more than 100 officers continued the murder hunt, Det Supt Stephens said they had not ruled out a sexual motive for the "horrific crime" as some of the teenager's clothing had been disturbed.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]Forensic tests were being carried out to establish if she had been sexually assaulted. Blood samples were also being tested.
Det Supt Stephens appealed to householders in the Exwick area to check their dustbins to see if any knives, sharp intsruments or bloodstained clothing had been thrown in them.
He added that the neighbours' Jack Russell terrier had been examined forensically to see whether there had been any transference of material, during the attack.
Det Supt Stephens said police needed to know about any suspicious individuals who had been seen in the area over the last few weeks. Kate, described by friends as a caring, bright, music-loving youngster, was walking the dog as a favour for her neighbours who were away.
BBC News | UK | Schoolgirl victim of "mindless attack"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Its the 10 year anniversary of Kates death and no one has ever been charged despite an arrest back in 1998. Such a tragic waste of life.

So the police described this as a premeditated murder and Kate was walking the dog for her neighbours who were away.
Police have also said that from the location of the crime scene they believe the killer must have had very strong local knowledge.
It would be interesting to know exactly who the neighbours were and who might have known it was not them but Kate who would be walking their dog that day.
MOO

though the killings were ery simlar in some ways also some diffrence katie had her throat cut but lyn was stabbed so a fairly diffrent method of killing could still be the same person but engough difrence to make it posble it was 2 people

though the killings were ery simlar in some ways also some diffrence katie had her throat cut but lyn was stabbed so a fairly diffrent method of killing could still be the same person but engough difrence to make it posble it was 2 people
The police still haven't ruled out a connection though.

I'm also 50/50 about whether the two cases are connected.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
combszola
Back