UK UK - Maria Aldridge, 17, Birmingham, 29 February 1968

I am pretty sure no such site exists for the police. It is generally a case of ploughing through old newspaper reports, either online at various subscription sites or in libraries on microfiche. This does sometimes produce new information, especially on old cases, as newspaper reporting in the past - especially as far back as this case - was far more thorough and fact based rather than the superficial clickbait approach common today. However, having said that, when I checked the old Birmingham Mails a while after my previous post, I did not find the inquest report (but as I only had limited time I could have missed it).

On the police investigation I am inclined to disagree with characterising it as very poor. This was a missing person case of an employed teen who had her own life, career and accommodation so would not have been high priority in the initial critical period, and that would probably still be the case today. But the police did then go to some lengths, contacting Maria Aldridge's nationwide and identifying the newspaper advert. This suggests some effort on their part. I was brought up in Birmingham in the 60s and early 70s and know that the city police were not great (the standing joke was that the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad were named after their own activities), but they do seem to have been active with this case. My main concern with them would be the failure to make contact with staff from the period when they reopened the case - but that is no criticism of the earlier response.
Thank you for the reply. I will look into this as there is lots of gaps I’m interested in filling. Example is BM advert reference number 63, paper trail and the issue 63 stopped running by Birmingham City Transport (Corporation Buses) at 4:30pm and possible lack of interviews.

Regarding the Police investigation, will have to agree to disagree (spent time in WMP and hearing old timers stories before the format of WMP is an eye opener).

Last edited:
SATURDAY SHARE- MARIA BERNADETTE ALDRIDGE

Maria Bernadette Aldridge was born on 2 October 1950 and was brought up in Stourport, Worcestershire. At 17yrs old she was in her first year of nursing training at the Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham now known as City Hospital. Between the 21 to 24 of May 1968 she went missing from the nursing quarters. Sadly, nobody from the hospital bothered to phone the police, nor did they search the hospital grounds for Maria.

The family were only alerted that Maria was missing when Paul Gough arrived at their home in Stourport looking for her. He was believed to have been her boyfriend at the time. Maria’s mum was told the matron wanted to see her, so Mary O’Sullivan along with her other daughter Cathy travelled to the hospital to make enquiries about her mysterious disappearance. Cathy sat in the car while her mum went in to see the matron. It was thought Maria was a runaway, so after handing over her belongings in two cardboard boxes, the matron told Mary to let her know when Maria showed up.

Records show Maria was working until at least May and police think she may have gone missing around that time. Her mother worked tirelessly to keep her daughter’s name in the media over the years and even put Maria’s name forward to the investigation team dealing with the heinous crimes of Fred & Rose West. Checks were made, but again no connection was found. Mrs O’Sullivan spent 40yrs desperately searching for Maria, but tragically passed away without knowing what happened to her beloved daughter.

After their mother died, Cathy Phillips, Maria’s sister, with great determination took up the reins and managed to get detectives to launch an investigation, because nothing had been done for 40yrs. When a headless female body was found in Norfolk, a new CID team reviewed Maria’s case and tests were proved negative on the corpse found.

With fresh eyes, the team found a letter from Maria to her mother dated 28 February 1968. She spoke fondly of her friend at the hospital and enjoyed nights out at the Locarno Nightclub in Hurst Street in the city centre. The names she mentioned were Sue and Evelyn who were doing their training with her plus Dave Olfrey (maybe spelt Allfrey or Allfree), Patrick McGill, Christopher Fair and Jim Taylor. Jim Taylor is thought to be from the Kidderminster area. Police appealed for them, and the teenager’s former boyfriend, to come forward in the hope that they might be able to shed some light on her disappearance.

Detectives also uncovered an advert in the Mail dated 1 June 1968 which read “Nurse M – Meet 7pm, 63 bus, Monday 3 June, hope to see you, Simon”. It has never been corroborated whether this was meant for Maria but continue to appeal to the person who placed the advert.

Maria featured in season three of The Missing Podcast, where her sister, Cathy spoke to Pandora Sykes about her disappearance (link below).

A note from Cathy Phillips (sister)

“When my sister, Maria disappeared, we did not have the advantage of computerised police records or social media, snail mail was our only form of communication. From the outset, the word ‘missing’ was never used because Matron Clews told us she was a runaway. There was no panic and we were told to contact the hospital once she returned. For this reason, there were no searches or appeals in the newspaper.

Despite the general consensus Maria had ran away, it didn’t make any sense because she didn’t take her clothes, paperwork, wages (which were in cash). She also left behind her half-finished knitting.

In 1994, our mom wrote to Gloucester Police and asked if Maria was one of Fred and Rosemary West victims. They said no, they were all accounted for and her disappearance didn’t fit his modus operandi (MO). This still plays heavily on my mind, because according to court proceedings and news reports he was known to meet young girls off a bus, offer them a place to stay, then rape and murder them. I also fail to understand why the only scrap of evidence they have is Mr Gough visiting our home.

I do not feel Maria’s disappearance has been investigated thoroughly, if at all. Since mom and her friend Mrs Chell passed away, I don’t know who would have any pieces of the puzzle. I was kept updated by Ian the detective until he retired, but since then I haven’t had any communication from the police.

Maria is very much loved and missed dearly, she is a human being who deserves to be found. If she came to harm, which I believe she did, my ultimate wish is to be able to give her a lawful, dignified burial. For this to be realised, I would really like a thorough search of the hospital grounds and area.

In the meantime, if anyone who went to Kidderminster High School has any photos from 1967 graduating class, or the previous 4 years, I would love to see them”.

If you have information about Maria or know the circumstances of her disappearance, please contact West Midlands Police, Rose Road, Birmingham B17 9LL on 0121 626 5967 quoting reference number #0209 WMID 1496. If you prefer to remain anonymous, please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or use their online reporting service. Alternatively phone/text Missing People charity on 116 000 or email 116000@missingpeople.org.uk quoting reference 03-000658.

Cathy Phillips Facebook:

Facebook:

The Missing Podcast:
The Missing Podcast

Missing People:

#SaturdayShare #FindMariaAldridge #MissingPersonsSupport

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220514-022918_Facebook-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220514-022918_Facebook-01.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
Very little to go on with this case. I'd like to know more about the boyfriend, Paul Gough who alerted the family that Maria was missing. His name is not mentioned in the letter that Maria wrote in Feb. 1968, but I guessing is entirely possible they were not dating then (if they were dating at all) ?

I would hope she was not a victim of Fred West. His killing spree started in the late 1960s. It would be a terrible fate.

Very little to go on with this case. I'd like to know more about the boyfriend, Paul Gough who alerted the family that Maria was missing. His name is not mentioned in the letter that Maria wrote in Feb. 1968, but I guessing is entirely possible they were not dating then (if they were dating at all) ?

I would hope she was not a victim of Fred West. His killing spree started in the late 1960s. It would be a terrible fate.
Quite intriguing how Paul Gough adtually knew her address and took the time and trouble to actually
try and locate her. That suggests to me that they had a budding and blossoming romance.
maybe they had met several times at city centre night clubs in Birmingham at weekends?
Isn't it likely that they made a date for the following weekend and that as she had not turned up,
he was naturally anxious and concerned at her whereabouts?
So went to visit her home address but drew a blank.
Her sister Cathy refers to this incident and various other boyfriends before Paul; she also remarkably
stayed in a mental hospital in Worcester prior to this...ref..The Missing Podcast S3 E3, worth a listen.
And as I type this, I've just remembered the Worcester connection when 5-6 years later, both Carol Cooper and Shirley Hubbard went missing after departing the town by bus.
Could Maria have met West near to that hospital?
And therefore knew him even before she started work as a trainee nurse?
Remember West was adept at duping young females and befriending them; he would have got to know her over a period of time, taking her into his confidence.
f

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637