UK UK - Melanie Hall, 25, Bath, Somerset, 9 June 1996

The starred-out word is a four-letter word beginning with th and ending with ug. Not what you might have thought! Note to US people: This is a commonplace and uncontroversial word in the UK. It is generally used to describe a violent bully, nothing more.
Lol, in Canada it is not a bad word either!

Christopher Halliwell: double killer linked to Claudia Lawrence murder

While looking at Halliwell possible other crimes, I came across this March 2019 article that mentions Melanie as well as other possible victims.

"Melanie Hall, 25, disappeared after leaving a nightclub in Bath in 1996. Her body was found by the M5 in 2009.

Halliwell reportedly once told a colleague at his minicab firm: “Who knows what or who you will find buried out there, there could be loads of people over the years.” "

Ten years on from the discovery of Melanie Hall’s remains in undergrowth off a motorway slip road, we’re issuing new information as part of our continuing efforts to find the person or people responsible for her murder.

More at New information released on key anniversary in Melanie Hall murder inquiry - Avon and Somerset Police
Good info. and pics! rbbm.
Replica-of-polypropylene-rope-1024x768.jpg

Replica of polypropylene rope

Melanie-Hall-clothing.jpg

Replicas of clothing Melanie was wearing on the night she disappeared.
"Can you help us?
  • Did you own a length, or lengths, of blue polypropylene rope which went missing around June 1996, or do you know someone who possessed rope of this kind, whose behaviour or demeanour may have changed since the summer of 1996?
  • Were you involved in the aftermath of this crime in any way? Maybe you assisted with the deposition of Melanie’s body but were not involved in the murder. We want to hear from you now.
  • Did you see Melanie after 1.10am on Sunday 9 June? Did you see her leave the Cadillacs nightclub, or go elsewhere within the nightclub other than sitting by the dancefloor, or see who she was with, at any time after this?
  • Were you in Cadillacs nightclub that night? It was the evening where England drew 1-1 with Switzerland in the opening game of the football Euro 96 Championships? If you were there and haven’t spoken to police, please call us.
  • Did you see any suspicious activity or a vehicle parked on the northbound J14 slip road of the M5 at Thornbury in the early hours of Sunday 9 June 1996 or the days immediately afterwards?
  • Are you concerned about the change in behaviour of a friend or relative, or anyone showing a particular interest in this inquiry?
  • Do you have information on where Melanie’s clothing or belongings may be? They’ve never been found. They include a pale blue silk dress with a round neck, black suede mule shoes with straps across the front and an open toe, size 5 or 6, a cream single-breasted, long-sleeved jacket and a black satchel-type handbag.
  • In Melanie’s handbag were cosmetics and a Midland cheque book and bank card. Also missing are items of jewellery including a Next watch with expanding bracelet and silver drop earrings. Where are these items? Have you ever seen them?
You can call the Operation Denmark Incident Room on 01278 648934 or give information online through the Major Incident Public Portal here Public Portal

Alternatively you can 101 and ask for the Operation Denmark team.

Melanie’s parents have reinstated a £50,000 reward for information provided to the police which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for Melanie’s murder."

DNA breakthrough in Melanie Hall murder probe from rope used to tie her up

2_Melanie-Hall-murder.jpg

Detectives probing a 23-year murder mystery think they have found the killer’s DNA on a rope used to tie up the body.

They also believe another person may have helped dump Melanie Hall’s remains on a motorway slip road.

She was last seen at a nightclub in Bath, Somerset, in June, 1996.

Her body – wrapped in bin liners and bound with distinctive blue rope – was found in undergrowth 13 years later by men cutting grass alongside the M5.

New DNA breakthrough in Melanie Hall murder probe from rope used to tie her up

The missing items of clothing point to Halliwell for me. She might well have left the club and got into a taxi.

Although the wording of the police statement seems to indicate they know who is responsible. It seems like a 'come forward before we get the evidence we need' appeal. Although it could be a bluff.

This feels like a bit of a bluff too me, something to restir interest in wake of the 10 year anniversary of her remains being found. of course I hope thats not the case and they do have DNA, however if they do then its clearly not Christopher Halliwell nor anyone else that is notorious and belonging to someone who is not on the data base. I feel like after all this time they wouldnt just appeal to this persons better nature to come forward, they would go straight in.

Although I am interested as to why they think someone else helped dispose of the body, I wonder whats led them to that? Further DNA on the rope? But who is to say if that is the case, that it wasnt commited by two people.

Part of me feels this will go cold again for another few years now.

I just rethought that, if there was two sets of DNA on that rope, logically it does make sense to report that ther may have been someone help in disposing of the body rather than the fact there could be two killers just in the hope that, that theory is the case and they can get the aid to come forward. Then they can investigate their story and hopefully lead them to the killer, plus if it was a duo killing these two people may have fallen out so your giving one of them the opportunity to come forward as the "aid" - It is pretty logical to be fair.

Original Crimewatch U.K. reconstruction here for those who haven’t seen it. It was broadcast in November 1996 and it’s the first reconstruction featured in this episode.

I remember watching this at the time as a teen. Can’t believe this case still hasn’t been solved...

Have been listening to a couple of podcasts regarding this case today was interesting listen, although not all the areas of investigation were covered.
One of them, both hosts believed that she knew the person that had killed her or the person she left the club with.

They also mentioned a couple walking along the canal a few days after that heard a loud argument on a canal boat between a man and a woman. The woman was heard shouting “If nothing happened with Melanie then why do you look so guilty”.
This of course could mean a lot of things but interesting none the less.

I think the Police have a very good idea of who was involved, but a person who probably had a big involvement died before her body was found, however finding the evidence they needed was another matter.

All the clues point to that person, and although I don't believe he was the killer, he helped cover up what I think was a fatal accident.

I've never seen the link to the Transit keys before, but that just puts the lid on it for me.

Unsure how much I can post, as it's so long ago, I can't remember how much was in the MSM, and how much was through word of mouth, ie not just rumour, but knowing people that were interviewed and what the line of questioning was.

Care to elaborate on any of this? I take it you are from or lived in Bath?

''Melanie Hall was enjoying a night out in Bath, Somerset, when she disappeared on June 9, 1996.

Efforts to trace the whereabouts of the then 25-year-old were unsuccessful until her remains were found dumped by the M5 in South Gloucestershire by a workman clearing undergrowth 13 years later.

Ms Hall, a clerical worker at Royal United Hospital in Bath, was last seen at around 1.10am sitting on a stool on the edge of the dance floor in nightclub Walcot Street - renamed ClubXL before closing in 2017.

In March 2014, police appealed for information about a White Golf GTI with links to the Pentwn area of Cardiff, which they believed could be of significance to the investigation.

A then 45-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder in June 2016 after voluntarily attending a police station in Wiltshire.

It followed the discovery of DNA evidence close to the site where she was found. However, he was released without charge three months later.''
1671059616341.png
The e-fit issued by police as part of the probe into the murder of Melanie Hall
1671059672638.png

I think Bellfield could be a likely suspect. She fits his modus operandi.

I think he began killing way before Milly.

I think he killed Patsy Morris, Melanie Hall, Lin and Megan Russell, Debbie Linsley Debbie Linsley murder: Reward offer over 1988 train death, Sally-Ann Light (stabbed outside the Tower of London in '89, can't find anything), Penny Bell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Penny_Bell; there are more I can't quite find right now. I think though, that whoever killed Melanie is a psycho and this was not a one-off murder.
Levi has just confessed to murdering lynn & Meghan Russell last month. He was questioned 3 days ago over more unsolved murders too.

Good info. and pics! rbbm.
Replica-of-polypropylene-rope-1024x768.jpg

Replica of polypropylene rope

Melanie-Hall-clothing.jpg

Replicas of clothing Melanie was wearing on the night she disappeared.
"Can you help us?
  • Did you own a length, or lengths, of blue polypropylene rope which went missing around June 1996, or do you know someone who possessed rope of this kind, whose behaviour or demeanour may have changed since the summer of 1996?
  • Were you involved in the aftermath of this crime in any way? Maybe you assisted with the deposition of Melanie’s body but were not involved in the murder. We want to hear from you now.
  • Did you see Melanie after 1.10am on Sunday 9 June? Did you see her leave the Cadillacs nightclub, or go elsewhere within the nightclub other than sitting by the dancefloor, or see who she was with, at any time after this?
  • Were you in Cadillacs nightclub that night? It was the evening where England drew 1-1 with Switzerland in the opening game of the football Euro 96 Championships? If you were there and haven’t spoken to police, please call us.
  • Did you see any suspicious activity or a vehicle parked on the northbound J14 slip road of the M5 at Thornbury in the early hours of Sunday 9 June 1996 or the days immediately afterwards?
  • Are you concerned about the change in behaviour of a friend or relative, or anyone showing a particular interest in this inquiry?
  • Do you have information on where Melanie’s clothing or belongings may be? They’ve never been found. They include a pale blue silk dress with a round neck, black suede mule shoes with straps across the front and an open toe, size 5 or 6, a cream single-breasted, long-sleeved jacket and a black satchel-type handbag.
  • In Melanie’s handbag were cosmetics and a Midland cheque book and bank card. Also missing are items of jewellery including a Next watch with expanding bracelet and silver drop earrings. Where are these items? Have you ever seen them?
You can call the Operation Denmark Incident Room on 01278 648934 or give information online through the Major Incident Public Portal here Public Portal

Alternatively you can 101 and ask for the Operation Denmark team.

Melanie’s parents have reinstated a £50,000 reward for information provided to the police which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for Melanie’s murder."

None of Melanie Hall's belongings were found with her remains apart from a ring which had been in her family for generations. Is there any rational explanation as to why the perpetrator may have decided to not also take the ring?

Maybe i missed why the investigation might have been called the "Denmark Operation'', does it have something to do with cold places and the kind of rope often used in those places? imo, complete speculation, fwiw.

''Temperatures
Denmark is located in the North Temperate Zone and has a mean temperature of 7.7˚C (46˚F) . Statistically, February is the coldest month (mean 0.0˚C/32˚F)  and August the warmest (mean 15.7˚C/ 60˚F). ''

''Artist Mike Mitchell said blue rope likely came to the North through commercial fishing, but it has grown to be an important tool to those who call the N.W.T. home.

"This originally commercial fishing rope has been planted like a giant beanstalk and it's grown to epic proportions with uses that far outweigh or outstrip the commercial fishing industry,"

"We know that there's blue rope stories out there in the communities of the Northwest Territories beyond just Yellowknife," she said.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back