UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

This is a trial thread to discuss the trial only. It is not a general discussion thread.

Although WS is based in the USA, we do try to manage the various discussions according to laws of other countries.

As this trial is in the UK, the case is under sub judice so please stick to discussing the trial content without posting anything that violates the following principles:

Basically anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusation that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits
Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:

Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Reference: UK Contempt of Court Act 1981

ADMIN NOTE:

Please remember that WS copyright rules and copyright law require that images have a link to the original source to give credit to the source.

Also, Mods not only have to edit the OP to remove unsourced pics, they then have have to go through all subsequent pages and posts to edit where the post has been requoted by others. OR we can remove the entire post and all responses and response to responses.

All we ask is that members ensure a link is provided. It takes only a moment for the members but takes WS staff a lot of time to fix if the link is not included.

Back on thread 31, iirc, we had a discussion speculating on how the grievance complaint and meetings with the Letbys went down.

And also asked whether it was normal to get offered a 'reward' such as the MSc/Alder Hey placement afterwards. Sweeteners or as Times phrased it ' craven rewards'
Some of us speculated on what might have been used as leverage against CoC, ( Especially as CoC was always so keen to protect reputation & LL was up for a fight )

In view of that discussion, this caught my eye ( the quote in italics, below)

Ian Haythornthwaite new Chairman at CoC
Susan Gilby, new CEO after Tony Chambers is paid off.
Things don't go well between IH & SG ( details at link)
but look at this bit:

Dr Gilby makes a formal whistle-blowing complaint against the chairman & the Trust in July 2022. What does the trust do? Tries to buy her off.

'the trust responded by proposing she be seconded to a senior advisory role within NHS England as long as she withdrew her allegations, which she refused to do.

Corrupt! ( A new chair, new exec board members but still as dodgy as...)

They suspended Susan Gilby. Haythornthwaite is still Chair of CoC

Last edited:
Back on thread 31, iirc, we had a discussion speculating on how the grievance complaint and meetings with the Letbys went down.

And also asked whether it was normal to get offered a 'reward' such as the MSc/Alder Hey placement afterwards. Sweeteners or as Times phrased it ' craven rewards'
Some of us speculated on what might have been used as leverage against CoC, ( Especially as CoC was always so keen to protect reputation & LL was up for a fight )

In view of that discussion, this caught my eye ( the quote in italics, below)

Ian Haythornthwaite new Chairman at CoC
Susan Gilby, new CEO after Tony Chambers is paid off.
Things don't go well between IH & SG ( details at link)
but look at this bit:

Dr Gilby makes a formal whistle-blowing complaint against the chairman & the Trust in July 2022. What does the trust do? Tries to buy her off.

'the trust responded by proposing she be seconded to a senior advisory role within NHS England as long as she withdrew her allegations, which she refused to do.

Corrupt! ( A new chair, new exec board members but still as dodgy as...)

They suspended Susan Gilby. Haythornthwaite is still Chair of CoC
Surely they mean CONSTRUCTIVE unfair dismissal!

New dm podcast. This is particularly interesting and from the first few minutes it fits a noticeable pattern. It really would be interesting to think these are the accounts of affected parents ahead of trial

this actually has audio of Lucy letby as she is interacting with the parents and baby on the unit.

@11 minutes

Last edited:
"A hospital chief accused of ignoring concerns about Lucy Letby allegedly boasted about being ‘persuaded’ to take up a £215,000 top job by an NHS England boss after the killer nurse was arrested.

Tony Chambers resigned from his £160,000-a-year position at the Countess of Chester Hospital in Cheshire in September 2018 just two months after Letby was held for murdering and attempting to murder babies.

In January 2020, while police were still investigating Letby, he is said to have bragged about being talked into taking up the £215,000 role – as CEO of Barking, Havering and Redbridge NHS Trust in east London – by his ‘friend’ Sir David Sloman, the NHS regional director for London at the time."

Surely they mean CONSTRUCTIVE unfair dismissal!
No wonder she is now suing them.

Back to that MSc offer for LL.
I've still only managed to catch-up via 1.5 WS threads of the hearing but somewhere amongst those 1000 + posts ( or countless Chester newspapers) there's a transcript of Dr A text convo with LL.
I think he might have been the one who suggested it to LL. ( In that convo he's gushing and saying she'd be amazing if she did a course ... something APNN or whatever.... and she replies with excitement or is v flattered. I'll never find the link now)
Think he said this course: https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/course...cal-advanced-healthcare-practice-clinical-msc

Imagine the extra damage she could've done with that

Last edited:
New dm podcast. This is particularly interesting and from the first few minutes it fits a noticeable pattern. It really would be interesting to think these are the accounts of affected parents ahead of trial

this actually has audio of Lucy letby as she is interacting with the parents and baby on the unit.
It's this case. The link has the texts that LL sent to the Mum

We trusted Lucy Letby so much we wanted her to be our baby's godmother

Podcast. Husband ' she was always around him' :(

blood in the nappy! Is that the second or third case of that?

Last edited:
That article fits a familiar pattern. Wi5hout saying anything negative she sounds the part from it and I can hear the confidence.

thought the but where she got angry about not looking after that baby was very worrying.
we've seen a text exchange which was similar - in the trial evidence.
The one where LL replies ' Forget I ever said it'
she has a hissy fit. Is that a second case or the same baby?

ETA these extras weren't in the original link
- multiple Polaroids
- unit's virus issue - holding baby ( was LL going against the matron's stipulation?)
- compares the care at CoC with the care given to her other prem baby
- LL was at the birth (3lbs 2oz, nine weeks early by emergency C-section)
Thank goodness he is very well now. He has two horses. Aww

Last edited:
That article fits a familiar pattern. Wi5hout saying anything negative she sounds the part from it and I can hear the confidence.

thought the but where she got angry about not looking after that baby was very worrying.
It reminds me of this conversation about Baby I. We never found out why they suddenly decided nobody should have Baby I for more than one night... er.. I mean one shift ;)

In WhatsApp messages read to the court, Letby asked a colleague on the afternoon of October 14 if Child I was staying on the unit.

She added: “I’d like to keep her please.”

Her colleague, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, replied: “Yes. Staying for now. OK re keeping.”

An hour later the colleague messaged: “I’ve had to reallocate. Sorry.”

Letby said: “Has something happened?”

The colleague replied: “No. Was just asked to reallocate so no one has her for more than 1 night at a time. Or 1 shift. Not just night.” Letby responded: “Yeah that’s understandable.”

The Crown says Letby, originally from Hereford, murdered Child I in the early hours of October 23.

It was said to be her fourth attempt to deliberately harm the baby after earlier bids on September 30, October 13 and 14.

Am I correct in saying that Letby’s notes were not mentioned during the cross examination by Nick Johnson until the final day ?

ETA these extras weren't in the original link
- multiple Polaroids
- unit's virus issue - holding baby ( was LL going against the matron's stipulation?)
- compares the care at CoC with the care given to her other prem baby
- LL was at the birth (3lbs 2oz, nine weeks early by emergency C-section)
Thank goodness he is very well now. He has two horses. Aww
That’s a case for a potential future trial I believe. Yeh it’s those hissy fits that I’ve noticed. Bit silly to get angry over which baby your looking after imo. Never heard of a bad baby. Yeh the pics she took without permission and against the rules of leaving breathing tubes in is pretty sick if you ask me.

what’s that about a virus issue?

thank the nurse who said she wouldn’t swap, sounds like a case we heard in the trial.

is this5he first we heard of ll having favourites? I think so and cp your right. We never did hear why they suddenly changed it.

That’s a case for a potential future trial I believe. Yeh it’s those hissy fits that I’ve noticed. Bit silly to get angry over which baby your looking after imo. Never heard of a bad baby. Yeh the pics she took without permission and against the rules of leaving breathing tubes in is pretty sick if you ask me.

what’s that about a virus issue?

thank the nurse who said she wouldn’t swap, sounds like a case we heard in the trial.

is this5he first we heard of ll having favourites? I think so and cp your right. We never did hear why they suddenly changed it.
It wasn't clear but to me it sounded as if the matron had said that all babies had to remain in their original rooms ( in that case N1) and that parents shouldn't hold their baby due to risk of infection. It wasn't clear whether these restrictions had been lifted by the time LL decides to take the baby out of the cot so parents could hold him. ( Might be nothing, me misinterpreting)

The other, more important thing re ColourPurple's last post is that ambiguous text exchange ( autumn 2015) suggests that a nursing colleague/s knew something wasn't right, at the very least.
( I'd always wondered whether or which nurses also had misgivings like the consultants)

Last edited:
Found it, so it's a different attack & different year ( mum on podcast is Feb 2016 ) but the same kind of irritation at not having access

@dotr posted this

''13 June 2015: Five days after Baby A's murder, and the day before she kills Baby C, Letby has an irritable exchange with a colleague over her manager's refusal to let her go back to work in intensive care.
She says when she worked at Liverpool Women's Hospital, she found she needed to go straight back and care for another baby "otherwise the image of the one you lost never goes".

The colleague disagrees, telling her to take a break:
Colleague: I agree with her don't think it will help. You need a break from full on ITU... It sounds very odd and I would be complete opposite.
[…]

Letby: Forget i said anything, I'll be fine, It's part of the job just don't feel like there is much team spirit tonight X
The conversation continues into the evening, until 23:09 when Letby signs off saying "Sleep well xx".
Six minutes later, Baby C falls critically ill.

Letby had been assigned to a child elsewhere in the unit, but that night she enters the nursery where Baby C is and feeds air into his stomach through a nasogastric tube, causing his collapse.''

Dotr's post from thread 33, has the full transcript where LL next goes whining to nurse Mary Griffith GUILTY - UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #33

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member