262825_261214020558323_563940_n.jpg
upload_2019-3-28_13-6-51.jpeg
img

• Age at disappearance: 51
  • Missing Since: 15-Nov-2002
  • Missing from: BUCKIE, Banffshire, Scotland
  • Reference No: 03-000100

Her profile on Missing People org - Help us find Patricia Duncan
FB page run by family - Missing person ( Patricia Duncan )

Patricia Duncan - missing since 16 November 2002 - Scotland

Sometime between midnight and 7am, on November 15, 2002, Patricia, then a 51-year-old mother-of-seven, walked out of her home in Buckie, Banffshire, and into the wind and rain.

She was wearing a sheepskin jacket - and she took a pack of cigarettes and her lighter.

Patricia is 5ft 4ins, slim with brown eyes.

Last edited:
Published 8 April 2009
Fresh hope in missing woman case

A possible sighting of a grandmother who went missing seven years ago has been investigated.

Her husband, George Duncan, has contacted police to report a possible sighting while watching a television news report.

Grampian Police said the footage had been viewed and would be discussed with the family, but that Mrs Duncan was still considered a missing person.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Fresh hope in missing woman case

8 DEC 2010
Husband haunted by the mystery of his wife's disappearance eight years ago

GEORGE DUNCAN sees his missing wife Patricia in so many places. She is the commuter at the railway station, the face in the crowd, the driver in the car behind him. She is the shopper in the supermarket with a familiar walk and hair, a particular hue of grey.

George said: "It never goes away. Everywhere I go, I think I see her. It's the same routine. If it's someone in front, I have to try to catch them up and get a better look. If it's a driver behind, I slow down until they pass.

"I found myself face to face with a woman one day and I could see in her eyes that she thought I was mad. So I had to explain that my wife was missing. It can get pretty embarrassing.
---
Sometime between midnight and 7am, on November 15, 2002, Patricia, then a 51-year-old mother-of-seven, walked out of her home in Buckie, Banffshire, and into the wind and rain.

She was wearing a sheepskin jacket - and she took a pack of cigarettes and her lighter.

Patricia is 5ft 4ins, slim with brown eyes. Sometimes George, 66, feels this description is his only certainty about his wife of 30 years. He said: "I didn't know her the way I thought I did. That's obvious. Never, ever would I have imagined she would have left like that."

"I wish the constant looking could stop but it won't until I know she is safe."
---
Patricia was full of fun, travelled to America with him and helped build a mini-Western town in the garden because they were both fascinated by cowboys.
She also loved amateur dramatics. They went out together and they loved their big family - sons Sandy, 44, William, 42, and Andrew, 41, and the girls Louise, 39, Joanne, 32, Fiona, 29 and Sarah, 26.

George said: "I thought we had a good marriage. I thought we were close. That's why I miss her. She was a good, nice person - one of the best.

"She was a great mother and a lovely wife. I thought she was happy.
---
The night before she left, Louise was staying at the family house. She watched a movie with her parents and they stayed on to watch a second, while she went to bed.

The last words Louise said to her mum were that she would see her in the morning.

When the family discovered she was gone, they called police straight away. Their pleas were taken seriously because Patricia's disappearance was so clearly out of character.
---
Louise said: "There was no clue that there was anything wrong. No matter how much time passes, I just can't get my head around the fact that she has gone. It makes no sense to me."

Patricia did have a lot on her plate.

George's parents lived in a granny flat attached to the house and Patricia helped look after his mother, who had Alzheimer's disease.

She also looked after two of her grandchildren during the day and she did the books for her husband who was a selfemployed steel worker.

But if it had all become too much, she certainly didn't say and she had no history of depression. Louise said: "I like to think she would have come to us. It is hard to think she had some kind of breakdown.

"If you ask any of us, we will say she was more than a mother. She was a best friend.
"If we had a problem, she told us not to sit and dwell but to come to her. If something was wrong, she would always put a positive spin on things."
---
There was a lot of laughter in the Duncan household, plenty of noise and no shortage of love. It is that bond that has kept the family sane.

Louise said: "We are close. We were lucky that we had each other. We really pulled together. I am sure there are smaller families out there who don't have that ready-made network of support and that must be hard."
---
She said: "The police didn't seem to know what to do with us. We were offered bereavement counselling but that wasn't appropriate. In the end, we got details of Missing People from a magazine and they have been absolutely brilliant. I think there needs to be more emotional support out there for people."

The charity helped publicise Patricia's disappearance and they regularly call to check on the family.

Husband haunted by the mystery of his wife's disappearance eight years ago

Last edited:
19 Jul 2012
Move to declare missing woman dead after 10 years

Legal steps have been taken to have a north-east woman officially declared dead after she mysteriously vanished almost 10 years ago.

Last night, Mr Duncan – who has spent years searching for his wife across the UK – said a writ had been raised at Elgin Sheriff Court after he sought advice from solicitors on sorting out his finances.

He said the action had been difficult for him to take because he believes she is still alive.
---
Mrs Duncan disappeared early one morning, taking only her jacket, cigarettes and a lighter.

Extensive searches along the Moray coastline and police inquiries led to many reported sightings, and Mr Duncan and his three sons and four daughters travelled to destinations including Bristol, Dundee and Oban, to investigate some of the leads.

The family were given fresh hope when they thought they spotted Mrs Duncan on an ITN news broadcast but, 10 years on, they have still found no trace of her.

They said the 51-year-old was a devoted family woman who doted on her grandchildren, and her disappearance was completely out of character.
---
Last night, Mr Duncan said he had taken the first steps in what will be a lengthy legal process to sort out his finances.

“I couldn’t make a new will or even sell my house, because everything is in our joint names,” he said. “I met a solicitor who said that this was my only option. I am getting on in years now, and I need to get everything sorted out. “It is something that has not been very nice to do though.”
---
He said the family were still trying to rebuild their lives without Mrs Duncan, but that they had never given up hope that she might still be alive.

“We just can’t bring our- selves to believe that she’s done something to harm herself – but then again, we just don’t know,” he said.

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

April 2016
TV star Lorraine Kelly leads Christmas appeal to bring missing Scots home
"Margaret Moody and Patricia Duncan were both mums-of-seven who vanished,
seemingly into thin air. Margaret — 31 when she disappeared from her
Motherwell home in 1977 — would be 66 now. Patricia was 51 when she went
missing ten years ago. Lorraine said: “It must take an awful lot for a
mother to leave her children. I can’t begin to imagine what was going
through their minds.

“Today their children still don’t know whether their mums are alive. It must
be unbearable.”

Lorraine, 52, is close to her parents Anne and John. They’ll spend a
traditional Christmas with her, hubby Steve and daughter Rosie, 18, at their
home near Dundee. She added: “All the chairs round my table will be filled.
But for some there’s always an empty space. Somehow it seems worse at
Christmas, because all those families want is news of their mum.”

When Margaret’s son Jim, 28, died of leukaemia in 1993, a black and white
photo of a woman and a little boy turned up in his coffin at the funeral
home.

Lorraine said: “That must have given the family a glimmer of hope. Margaret’s
son Robert told me a woman with red hair like his mum’s was seen watching
the funeral from a distance at the cemetery.

“But before anyone could approach her she’d gone. Robert’s dad David has also
now passed away not knowing what happened to his wife.”

Lorraine believes that even if a family can somehow contact a missing relative
on the phone or by text message or letter, reuniting the family is not
always simple. She said: “The person who is missing might think the family
are better off without them.

“They worry that as time goes on they won’t be welcomed back, or they feel
guilty or too ashamed to get in touch. That’s the cruellest part of it —
because they will ALWAYS be welcome. All the families want is to know
their loved ones are okay.”

Children often suffer anxiety when a parent vanishes, Lorraine has found.

She said: “The wee ones wonder if they were naughty and if it’s their fault.”

Patricia Duncan walked out into a bitter November night in Buckie, Banffshire,
ten years ago and has never been seen since.

Wrapped up in a sheepskin coat, the 51-year-old had only her cigarettes and
lighter on her.

Lorraine said: “Her daughter Sarah told me about the family’s endless search
for answers.

“Patricia was a coper. She fostered kids, worked as a child minder and looked
after her mother-in-law, who had Alzheimer’s. What happened was so out of
character that her family contacted the police immediately.

“Where did she go?”

Now Lorraine hopes The Scottish Sun’s Missing People campaign will bring some
sort of news for the two families.

She said: “There haven’t been updates recently. Hopefully, this will make a
difference.”

How to Help
– IF YOU have any information contact the Missing People helpline on 116 000.
For advice and support you can also log on to www.missingpeople.org.uk"
Ws thread..
UK - UK - Margaret Moody, 31, Motherwell, Scotland, 1977

Bumping and wondering if Patricia's passport was missing or any other identification that would help her get one? speculation.

Bumping and wondering if Patricia's passport was missing or any other identification that would help her get one? speculation.

There was huge storm the night Patricia disappeared. I really don't think she travelled, at least definitely not abroad.

UK Missing Persons Unit

Do you think this body was ever looked at? I’ve never seen a full description of what Patricia was wearing, only the fur coat.
Welcome to Ws jjlm, interesting suggestion!
From link..
Age range
30 - 50
Ethnicity
white european
Height
152cm - 165cm
Build
thin
Date found
22 November 2006
Body or remains
body
Circumstances
Decomposed body found on the beach at Port Logan. Believed to have been in the water for up to 6 months.

Her daughter has said (in the missing podcast) that she only left in the clothes she was wearing plus her cigarettes. She left her bag & purse etc at home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Affogato
Back