UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common, 3 March 2021 MEDIA THREAD *NO DISCUSSION*

IPSO Upholds Complaint Made By Met Police About MailOnline Article Regarding The Arrest Of Wayne Couzens

5 Nov 2021

[..]

The article – published on 11th March 2021 – reported on the Metropolitan Police’s search for the suspect in the Sarah Everard murder case.

It reported that “Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens ha[d] been arrested on suspicion of her kidnap and murder” after being “tracked by plain clothes detectives for several days”.

It later noted that; “Sources have suggested that plain clothes detectives may have been secretly monitoring the suspect’s movements for days before he was arrested”.

Additionally, it stated that Couzens “works in Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command and is armed as part of his job”.

It added that “The case has prompted the possibility that perhaps for the first time in the Met’s history, armed surveillance officers were watching one of their own firearms officers [Couzens] while he was on duty guarding one of the most important buildings in London”.

It elsewhere reported that a “police insider said: ‘There are two possible approaches the Met could have taken when the officer emerged as the main suspect [one being] to maintain his normal duties whilst having an armed capacity…watching him’”

In the complaint, the Met said that it was untrue that the suspect was either known to or tracked by police for several days before his arrest.

In fact, Couzens was located just a few hours before his arrest.

In light of this, the Met said that it was also inaccurate to speculate that Couzens had returned to work after being identified as a suspect.

IPSO said that the Met had contacted the MailOnline shortly after the story was published to express its concern that the article was inaccurate.

It said that the publication’s failure to promptly delete and correct the article when the Met first contacted it on the day of publication was regrettable.

In response, the MailOnline said that it had relied on an anonymous police source regarding the claim that “The case has prompted the possibility that perhaps for the first time in the Met’s history, armed surveillance officers were watching one of their own firearms officers [Couzens] while he was on duty…”.

However, whilst it said the source was reliable, following the direct complaint from the Met to the publication, the source had clarified that they could not guarantee the accuracy of their claim.

Concerning the claim that Mr Couzens had been “tracked by plain clothes detectives for several days”, the publication said this was based on speculation from a neighbour that had appeared in the press.

The neighbour had claimed that plainclothes officers had been watching the suspect’s property the day before the arrests and that there were unmarked police cars in the street. But this was also not true.

The MailOnline also emphasised that it had sought the Met’s comments on the claims before publication but was told the complainant would not comment.

On receipt of the direct complaint from the Met on the day of publication, the newspaper amended the article.

[..]

Sarah Everard: former prosecutor to lead inquiry into rape and murder by police officer

22 Nov 2021

"The Home Office inquiry into the rape and murder of Sarah Everard by a police officer will be chaired by Dame Elish Angiolini, formerly Scotland’s top prosecutor, the department has said.

"It will examine whether chances to identify her murderer, Wayne Couzens, as a danger to women before he attacked Everard in March 2021 were missed.

"Angiolini was chosen as chair of the inquiry, which will be in two parts, following consultation with the family of Sarah Everard. [...]

"Past allegations of sexual misconduct by Couzens dating back to 2015, which are alleged to have been missed by policing, are under investigation, as are police vetting procedures. The results of the inquiries by two police watchdogs will be passed to the Angiolini review. [...]

"The first part of the inquiry will examine whether warning signs about Couzens were missed, and whether allegations made against him were properly handled. The second part will look at issues raised by part one, and will report to the home secretary as soon as possible." [...]

Evil Wayne Couzens moved to same prison as Ian Huntley & Levi Bellfield

14/12/2021

The ex-cop, who abducted and murdered Sarah Everard, 33, has been switched from Belmarsh in London to HMP Frankland, Co Durham. [...]

He tried to kill himself while awaiting trial so he has been segregated on a wing for vulnerable inmates.

But a source said: “They can’t keep him hidden away forever and other cons will be queueing to get at him.

“Couzens has a huge target on his head because of his job and what he did." [...]

Couzens, 48, who was given a whole-life sentence in October, is said to have refused food and threatened to go on hunger strike in protest at his supposed harsh treatment at the jail.

Sarah Everard's killer Wayne Couzens 'set to appeal whole life sentence'

18 Dec 2021

The Court of Appeal confirmed that an application to bring an appeal against Couzens’ sentence had been lodged, in October.

Now, a Judicial Office spokesperson has said that the hearing is likely to be in early May, adding that the date is not fixed and may change.

Whole life sentences are reserved for the most heinous of murders.

Lord Justice Fulford said the fact Couzens ‘used his position as a police officer’ to abduct the 33-year-old was justification for imposing the order.

Guidance
Angiolini Inquiry terms of reference

Published 10 January 2022

The abduction, rape and murder of Sarah Everard was a horrendous crime and has had a devastating impact on her family and loved ones. That it was committed by a serving Metropolitan Police officer, Wayne Couzens, abusing his position to do so, is abhorrent and risks undermining the public’s confidence in policing.

It is of vital importance that there is a clear understanding of how this was able to happen and the lessons identified so that policing, and partners, can do everything possible to ensure it cannot happen again. This inquiry has been established to achieve this.

The forces where the perpetrator worked or volunteered are fully committed to supporting the work of the inquiry.

This inquiry has been established as a non-statutory inquiry but if necessary, the Home Secretary may agree to convert into a statutory inquiry, following advice from the Chair.

Phase 1
Phase 1 of the inquiry will seek to establish:

1. An overall timeline of Couzens’ career and relevant incidents, including allegations of criminal behaviour and/or misconduct;
  2. The circumstances and decision-making relating to his vetting and re-vetting, including whether any potential risks and/or red flags were missed;
  3. Any other relevant matters arising from his transfers between forces;
  4. His overall conduct – including non-disciplinary matters, his performance and training;
  5. The extent to which any issues relating to his behaviour, particularly in relation to women, were known and raised by colleagues, (including professional standards and senior leaders);
  6. Any abuse of his police powers.
The inquiry will seek to establish these through methods including, but not limited to:

• Analysis of documentation from relevant forces, including the Metropolitan Police Service, Civil Nuclear Constabulary and Kent Police;
  • Interviews and witness statements;
  • Findings from the relevant Independent Office for Police Conduct investigations.
The inquiry will keep the Everard family informed on its progress.

The inquiry shall make recommendations for any immediate steps that policing, and other partners, need to take to address issues arising from this work.

It shall report to the Secretary of State for the Home Department as soon as practicable, taking into account any ongoing investigations and legal proceedings.

The aim is that this should happen within 6 – 9 months from the agreed start of the Inquiry. The Secretary of State for the Home Department will publish the report and will have regard to her obligations under the Human Rights Act and her duties in respect of national security before the report is published.

The findings of Phase 1 will inform the Secretary of State for the Home Department’s consideration of what further, broader, issues arise for policing and the protection of women should be considered in Phase 2 of the Inquiry.

Angiolini Inquiry terms of reference

Scotland Yard must overhaul its culture of sexism, racism, bullying and homophobia after a damning report uncovered officers’ disturbing ‘jokes’ about rape.

The police watchdog issued the force with 15 recommendations after an investigation into misconduct at Charing Cross Police Station.

Operation Hotton was sparked in March 2018 and found text and WhatsApp messages between officers which were highly sexualised, discriminatory or referred to violence, which officers often defended as ‘banter’.

They included one sent by a male officer to a female colleague saying: “I would happily rape you”.

The conclusions are particularly damning in the aftermath of the kidnap, rape and murder of Sarah Everard, 33, by Met firearms officer Wayne Couzens last March.

‘Disgraceful’ Met Police must be overhauled, damning IOPC report finds

[...] 33. We found numerous messages about domestic violence, plus sexually explicit, misogynistic and demeaning conversations:

A WhatsApp conversation between two police officers:

o Officer 1: “And my bird won't stop taking the piss. Swear to got [sic] I'm going to smack her ”

o Officer 2: “Slap her one…say you didn’t”

o Officer 1: “I`ll f#cking do it. She`s f#cked off home.”
A separate WhatsApp conversation between two police officers:

o Officer 1: “I f#cking need to take my bird out, won’t see her until next Saturday. Then I have to work. Promised to take her out the Friday after. Making it up to her from when I backhanded her”

o Officer 2: “Grab her by the pussy”

o Officer 1: “You ever slapped your missus?”

o Officer 1: “It makes them love you more. Seriously since I did that she won’t leave me alone. Now I know why these daft c#nts are getting murdered by their spastic boyfriends. Knock a bird about and she will love you. Human nature. They are biologically programmed to like that *advertiser censored*.”

o Officer 2: “Lmao”

o Officer 1: “I’m right though”
A further WhatsApp conversation between two police officers:

o Officer 1: “I had that massive fight with my bird because she found out I'd been out on the piss with this girl who's a high class hooker a couple of weeks ago Hahahah”

o Officer 1: “Make friends with high class hookers”

o Officer 2: “I had one in Watford from adult work. 4Used to f#ck her all the time”

o Officer 1: “Yes! Hahaha” o Officer 2: “used just hang out and blast her on the sly”

o Officer 2: “when I was on roids5 and needed it every hour”
Messages sent by a male officer to a female officer:

o “I would happily rape you”

o “if I was single I would actually hate f#ck you”

o “if I was single I would happily chloroform you”
Further messages sent about women, include:

o “Getting a woman in to bed is like spreading butter. It can be done with a bit of effort using a credit card, but it's quicker and easier just to use a knife.”

o “F#ck knows what she's on about I just wanna spuff on her” (sent by an officer in reference to another police officer’s girlfriend).

o “Mate my Mrs is driving me mad - come and shag a baby into her it might shut her up bro .”
https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/si...ion Hotton Learning report - January 2022.pdf

Attachments

• Operation Hotton Learning report - January 2022.pdf
    477.5 KB · Views: 2
Two serving Met police constables and an ex-officer have denied sharing grossly offensive messages with Sarah Everard's killer Wayne Couzens.

PC Jonathon Cobban, 35, PC William Neville, 33, and former officer Joel Borders, 45, appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court accused of the offences between April and August 2019.

Wayne Couzens: Met PCs deny sharing offensive messages with Couzens

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back