UK UK - Serial Killer in Ipswich UK - Stephen Wright

Murder police questioning drivers

Police investigating the murders of five women in Suffolk have questioned drivers in efforts to establish the last movements of one of the victims.
Officers were talking to motorists in Ipswich's red light area to work out the last movements of Paula Clennell.

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/6187073.stm

Just caught this on CNN:

Detectives hunting the killer of five prostitutes in the UK say they have arrested a 37-year-old man.

dark_shadows said:
British Police Concerned Arrested Suspect May Not Be 'Ipswich Ripper'

IPSWICH, England — Despite having arrested a suspect in the murders of five prostitutes whose naked bodies were found dumped in rural areas around the town of Ipswich, British police are concerned they may have the wrong man.
According to Sky News (8.25am GMT)a second unnamed as yet man has been arrested on or around the London Road near the red light district. Press conference to be held at 8.45am to make the announcement and give more details hopefully.

MySpace deletes murder suspect's profile (Source)

By Angus Kidman Tuesday, 19 December 2006 What should a social networking site do when one of its users turns out to be the focus of a major murder investigation? For MySpace, the answer has turned out to be pretty simple: delete their profile.

Following the arrest of Tom Stephens on suspicion of murdering five women in Ipswich, UK journalists were quick to uncover Stephens' MySpace profile. A photograph of Stephens taken from the profile was widely used in news reports on the arrest, along with details drawn from the MySpace entry such as his fondness for cartoon character Hong Kong Phooey. The page proved a bonanza for writers seeking background on Stephens, who denied any involvement in the murders in a number of media interviews prior to his arrest. However, that resource has been cut off.

Visitors to Stephens' profile now encounter the message: "Invalid Friend ID: This user has either cancelled their membership, or their account has been deleted."

MySpace remains the most popular example of the 'social networking' trend, making it almost inevitable that individuals on it will become the subject of criminal investigation from time to time.

Under MySpace's terms of use, it can "terminate . . . access to all or any part of the MySpace Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice, and without liability."

48 year old man arrested at his home near the red light district at 5am (GMT). Suspected of the murder of all five women. No name or location of station where he's being held released .

Tom stephens to remain in custody.

Second Suspect Arrested (Source)

Updated: 08:56, Tuesday December 19, 2006

A 48-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering five prostitutes in Suffolk, police have announced.

He was arrested at his home in Ipswich at 5am.

Sky News has been told he lived near the red light district of the town.

This morning's announcement follows yesterday's arrest of Tom Stephens at his home in Trimley, Suffolk.

Detectives are continuing to question the 37-year-old on suspicion of murdering the five women.

They have been given another 12 hours to either charge Stephens, release him or apply for more time for questioning.

Former special constable Stephens told a Sunday newspaper he knew all five women and lacked alibis for some of the nights they went missing.

But he insisted he was innocent.

The supermarket worker also works as a part-time taxi driver.

He was arrested on Monday morning at his home near Felixstowe.

Former prostitute Jacci Goldsmith told Sky News that Stephens looked after the women on the street.

Stephens also has his own page on the MySpace website, in which he has posted several pictures of himself.

He describes himself on the site as "fit", enjoys 80s music and is not interested in TV.

Calling himself "The Bishop", he puts his occupation as a "team leader" at a local Tesco store, he wants a "serious relationship" and his hero is "Hong Kong Phooey".

The bodies of the five women were found naked in rural locations south of Ipswich.

Gemma Adams, 25, was found in Belstead Brook at Hintlesham on December 2.

Tania Nicol, 19, was found at Copdock on December 8; Anneli Alderton, 24, at Nacton on December 10; Paula Clennell, 24, at Levington on December 12, and Annette Nicholls, 29, also at Levington on the same day.

9.30am (GMT) Sky News Sources say the second man is known to the local prostitutes as a client. He lives on his own in bedsit. Still no name released.

Forensic experts and search teams are at the home of the second murder suspect who although arrested at 5am (GMT) has not been questioned yet.

Dark blue ford mondeo removed from an "address" in Ipswich.

Earlier News Conference http://snipurl.com/15949

narlacat said:
Thanks Blaize, just heard this.

Police arrest second man over UK murders
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=170233
Sky News sources name second man as 48 years old Steve Wright. They believe he was married and has a teenage daughter.

Sky News are interviewing the landlord of a pub Eddie Robbins, called 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' where Steve Wright's (ex?)wife Pam was. Mr Robbins said that Pam is devastated and could not believe these allegations. She believes Mr Wrght was with her around the time of one of the murders. Mr Robbins went on to say that he couldn't believe Mr Wright was capable of these murders either.

'His Flat Was Immaculate' (Source)

Updated: 15:25, Tuesday December 19, 2006

A prostitute who claims she had regular sex with the second man arrested in connection with the Suffolk murders has told how his bedsit was kept in "immaculate" order.

The woman, known as Lou, told Sky News Correspondent Darren Little that the man was one of her regular punters.

She said that when hired, she would usually go with him to his flat on London Road, on the outskirts of Ipswich's red light district.

He kept the flat very tidy, she said, but he spoke very little to her.

She said: "His flat is immaculate. Everything is kept tidy. I last saw him three weeks ago."

Lou added: "I've known him for about eight months. He is a chubby man with silver hair.

1481130.jpg

Police seal off suspect's flat
"He is in his late 40s but he would not give me his name."

She described the suspect as a "normal" man who sometimes hired her every few weeks and other times could be "very regular".

"Usually he would pick me up after midnight around here. He always treated me well but he did not speak much," Lou said.

"Just do business at his house then go."

Lou ventured down to the police cordon on London Road as police began sealing off the house.

She has spoken a number of times about her fears since the investigation began.

She also spoke about Tom Stephens, the first man arrested on Monday in connection with the murders.

She was shocked by the news.

"He just wanted to be our friend, he knew all the girls down here, and he used to try and help us out," she said.

Wonder which one it was?

Hopefully, its one of the two.

Thanks again Blaize for the links.

narlacat said:
Wonder which one it was?

Hopefully, its one of the two.

Thanks again Blaize for the links.
I suppose it's better that they have the two men in custody until they can eliminate one. The first man Tom Stephens might be an attention seeker considering he gave that interview to the Sunday Mirror. The fact that the police are being very terse and tight lipped about this second arrest leads me to suspect that they are leaning strongly towards the second man Steve Wright.

Whichever one it is I hope they keep him off the streets for good.

I recall Ian Huntley giving an interview to the media - I am glad he wasnt dismissed as an attention seeker!!!

Just saw the live press conference on the BBC: the second suspect, Steve Wright, has been charged with the murders of all five prostitutes.

Jacobi said:
Just saw the live press conference on the BBC: the second suspect, Steve Wright, has been charged with the murders of all five prostitutes.
That's great but i hope they're very clear about why they've held onto Tom Stephens and don't leave legal loopholes for Steve Wright's defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elaguileno81
Back