UK UK - Three dead, arrest made in Exeter in suspected serial killing spree

yabbyyou

New party, who dis?
Reaction score
Telegraph:
Exeter OAPs suffered 'serious head injuries'
in suspected serial killing spree, police say

Police investigating a suspected OAP serial killer have revealed all three men in their 80s sustained similar "serious head injuries".

The battered bodies of three elderly men in their 80s - including twin brothers - were discovered at their homes in Exeter, Devon, within hours of one another on Monday and Tuesday.

Now, on Thursday afternoon, detectives said due to a number of similarities, they were treating the deaths as a "single multiple murder", suggesting they were dealing with a serial killer.
--

Mail:

Police reveal twin brothers, 84, and pensioner, 80, were battered around the head at two homes a mile apart - as CCTV emerges of one sibling buying a paper hours before he was murdered

Last edited:
Oh, this case seems weird... a couple of points from that DM article:

• It also emerged a note was left on Mr Payne's front door, which read: 'Elderly man 80 years of age wants accommodation for himself and his pet cat.' Neighbours said the note, signed 'AJ Payne', had been there for a month and that the pensioner had not been seen in that time
  • 'He was quiet but there would often be problems in the house. It wasn't him causing problems but people who had access to the property.'
  • Last night a relative of the Carters, who part-owns their £750,000 house, told of his shock. He revealed the victims were estranged from their family, saying: 'They were so secluded. They just wanted to be left alone.'
  • Last night it was claimed that an antiquated shotgun was found next to the body of Mr Payne. Devon and Cornwall Police have declined to confirm or deny the reports, but have said the injuries sustained were not connected to the use of a firearm.

So the police have applied for an extension but have not yet charged the guy they arrested. Interesting. Wouldn't a quick arrest like indicated they had good evidence? Anyone know why they might take longer to charge?

Maybe they know he did one crime (the most recent) but it's harder to prove the older one?

Exeter murders: CCTV shows Dick Carter, 84, in the days before he was killed

So the police have applied for an extension but have not yet charged the guy they arrested. Interesting. Wouldn't a quick arrest like indicated they had good evidence? Anyone know why they might take longer to charge?

Maybe they know he did one crime (the most recent) but it's harder to prove the older one?

Exeter murders: CCTV shows Dick Carter, 84, in the days before he was killed

BIB, possibly so they can continue to question him? Once charged, they can't ask any more. They might be trying to make sure there are no other victims.

Police investigating the deaths of three pensioners are not ruling out they could have been the victim of cuckooing.

A major murder probe in Exeter on Tuesday after Anthony Payne, 80, and twins Dick and Roger Carter, both 84, were found dead with“serious head injuries”.

But neighbours of one of the victims, Anthony Payne, raised their concerns that he was being taken advantage of by young people at his rundown home in Exeter.

Cuckooing is a form of crime in which criminals take over the home of a vulnerable person in order to use it as a base for activities such as drug dealing.

It is a tactic increasingly employed by county lines drugs gangs across the south of England.

Neighbour Tonya Parsons said: “There was trouble at that house, it was quiet then there was loads of comings and goings and shouting.

Three pensioners murdered in Exeter 'could have been the victim of cuckooing'

Police investigating the deaths of three pensioners are not ruling out they could have been the victim of cuckooing.

A major murder probe in Exeter on Tuesday after Anthony Payne, 80, and twins Dick and Roger Carter, both 84, were found dead with“serious head injuries”.

But neighbours of one of the victims, Anthony Payne, raised their concerns that he was being taken advantage of by young people at his rundown home in Exeter.

Cuckooing is a form of crime in which criminals take over the home of a vulnerable person in order to use it as a base for activities such as drug dealing.

It is a tactic increasingly employed by county lines drugs gangs across the south of England.

Neighbour Tonya Parsons said: “There was trouble at that house, it was quiet then there was loads of comings and goings and shouting.

Three pensioners murdered in Exeter 'could have been the victim of cuckooing'

My god, that is absolutely HORRENDOUS. I have never heard of this, but sometimes the human race takes my breath away anew with its awfulness. :(

That would also somewhat explain the note.

This is my attempt at a timeline. There is more to this story, surely:

approx. August 2018 owners move out of Anthony Payne's house

approx. mid January 2019 note goes up on Anthony Payne's door

10th February - 9am Dick Carter caught on CCTV at local shop

- approx. evening, Anthony Payne doesn't go back to Keith's

11th Feb - 2.30pm Keith goes to look for Anthony & finds his body

- 3pm police are called

12th Feb - approx. late morning scruffy man seen outside Dick and Roger's home

- 1pm Dick and Roger's bodies are found

- approx 4pm Alexander Lewis-Ranwell arrested

Do we have any information about how the twins were found or who alerted police?

Please let me know corrections/amendments I can change.

His facebook sure does suggest he's into cannabis. Maybe a schizophrenic break? Or as someone above suggested, a drug dealing connection.

Sorry, I'm spamming the thread, I will stop now. I can't believe this case isn't getting more attention!!

Hmmm. Ok rethinking that above post.

Re. references to his '64 year old girlfriend' there are some very interesting posts on social media alleging that accused man abducted her dogs. On more than one occasion.

Abducting ex-partner's dogs would count to me as indicator of abuse. Also indicator that he is not quite the vegan animal loving laidback surfer dude that 'people who know him' are presenting him as in the msm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back