UK UK - Three dead, arrest made in Exeter in suspected serial killing spree

Looks like the facebook jury have already decided that he should be strung up!

Its a good job that people cannot physically reach through facebook YET

Having been sectioned twice in the past (combined with the cannabis obsession on his facebook which won't have improved his mental state at all), I feel it is not impossible that he won't be found fit to plead.

https://www.facebook.com/albyranwel...QNPu343ERukLYIKJhC9zN6X01JlK35THmZ39RHEj6CqLo

2nd attempt....this will be the social media account....i am struggling to get links to post!
Thanks for posting, I couldn't find his FB. 12th Feb was the day he was arrested, not sure this has any meaning:

Alby Ranwell
22 January at 19:56 ·
Looking for a road trip buddy who wants to go to the alps. Must have valid driving licence.

8 comments
CommentShare
Comments

• C### Z####### When ? I will when I’m back
    • · 3w
  • 35362290_10216195501701482_1196496091013447680_n.jpg

Alby Ranwell Don't know when. Could be an option...

• · 3w

• C### Z####### ideal I’m free after the 12th of feb
      • · 3w
    • D##### G####### Do it C### Z#######
      • · 3w
    • C### Z####### i plan to mate

A 28-year-old man accused of murdering three men in their 80s is to stand trial in November.

Alexander Lewis-Ranwell is charged with the murders of twin brothers Dick and Roger Carter, 84, and Anthony Payne, 80, in Exeter, Devon.

They were found dead at their homes on 11 and 12 February.

Mr Lewis-Ranwell, who did not appear at the hearing at Exeter Crown Court, also faces two charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

His trial has been set to start on 18 November.

Triple murder accused trial date set

Trial has started. Either manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility or not guilty by reason of insanity.

The 28-year-old denies the murders on grounds of insanity.

Prosecutor Richard Smith QC said: "Mr Lewis-Ranwell was suffering from delusions on the day of the killings that there was an organised paedophile ring that was holding and abusing children.

"His victims, he deludedly thought were somehow involved in that.

"The victims (were) of course not involved in any such thing."

[...]

It was agreed in court his level of responsibility was reduced because he was suffering from a serious mental disorder at the time.

Jurors were told they would have to decide if he was guilty of manslaughter or not guilty by reason of insanity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-50492748

I thought this would be an insanity case. (Very sad for the victims.)

Is there actually much point in having a trial over whether it's manslaughter or murder? Won't he be sentenced to indefinite detention in a high security psychiatric institution regardless?

I haven't really been able to keep up with this trial, but I struggle with the distinction between 'manslaughter by diminished responsibility' and ' not guilty by reason of insanity'. I don't have a clear idea of where to draw the line. I assume (and hope) the jury are getting good instructions on this.

It seems fairly clear he shouldn't have been on the streets, but I'm not sure where the fault lies from what I've read (other than a general lack of funding for mental health care).

If he wasn't his taking anti-psych meds out of choice does this make him more responsible?

And he told police he'd 'lost his unicorn'. I'm struggling with that being genuine, it sounds more like he's just taking the piss.

Article about his arrests/releases in the hours leading up to the murders:
Mum of triple murder accused told police not to release son hours before deaths

A man who killed three elderly men because he wrongly believed they were paedophiles has been cleared of murder.

[...]

He was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Triple killer not guilty of murder due to insanity

In sentencing, Mrs Justice May described the case as "disturbing... on so many levels - three dead, two injured at hands of someone floridly psychic at the time and therefore not criminally responsible". She said she would be making a hospital order with restrictions to insure Lewis-Ranwell "won't be allowed into the community until agencies are absolutely content it is OK for him to be released".

I don't know much about this subject, but I assume it means he stays at Broadmoor (or similar) until such a time he is deemed safe to be released?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Royco
Back