UK UK - Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe

Netflix "The Ripper" Series
There is a new documentary out now on Netflix called The Ripper.It has 4 episodes..so you can binge it in a day.
@LunaticFringe Thx for posting this. Watched it last week. Interesting to see old news vid clips contrasting w interviews of LE today. The series: The Ripper (TV Mini-Series 2020) - IMDb
And gen info: Peter Sutcliffe - Wikipedia
What is inexplicable is that the police were so convinced the man on the tape was the killer they discounted the testimony of survivors, women who said that the Ripper spoke to them just before he attacked, and that he had a Yorkshire accent (as did Peter Sutcliffe) not a Wearside one.
@Montrealaise Thx for this post. Yes, LE's disbelief re surviving victims' description of perp's accent was perplexing.

The other thing about LE procedure, as video showed and as described by office employee: The Wheel.
Not criticizing LE in any way, because in late 1970s, more sophisticated tech'y was not available,
but holy cow, was that unwieldy & primitive. (Notwithstanding, it was what was avail. at the time). I imagine a system like that could work well for smaller scale investigations in concentrated geographical area, etc.

Even today jurisdictional gaps or jurisdictional blindness still delay or prevent some cases from being solved. my2cts.

Last edited:
I was a little kid in the U.S. when these heinous Ripper crimes occurred in the U.K., and don't remember hearing about these at all; I guess they got international attention, but I wasn't paying much attention to the news ATT.

Recently saw the Netflix "The Ripper" true crime mini-series. Superb & very thoroughly researched. Netflix has knocked it out of the park again with this series. Excellent blend of older news footage & new interviews with the people affected by & involved in the case (those who were still alive, that is); there weren't that many re-enactments here, which I felt added to the authenticity of the show.

It's unfortunate that it took the authorities so long to catch this killer. I strongly suspect that if he were killing wealthy women in an "good" area of the UK, they would have caught him a lot sooner. But, of course - he specifically went after women that were on the fringes of society (either prostitutes or poor women), so they were obviously not deemed as "worthy" of attention by the authorities. Very sad, but unfortunately not at all surprising.

Last edited:

For those that are not geo-restricted it is here --> My5

Have to say that while I am very familiar with this case over the years it's actually the first time I have heard his voice and it freaked me out a bit, and so unlike what I expected. "Ooh the weather's been lovely here, you know?" "March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb, you know". Hard to to connect it with the person who did what he did.

This one could be one of his victims

It's unfortunate that it took the authorities so long to catch this killer. I strongly suspect that if he were killing wealthy women in an "good" area of the UK, they would have caught him a lot sooner. But, of course - he specifically went after women that were on the fringes of society (either prostitutes or poor women), so they were obviously not deemed as "worthy" of attention by the authorities. Very sad, but unfortunately not at all surprising.

<RSBM>

I take your point but they weren't all on the fringes of society. One of Sutcliffe's earlier victims, who survived, was 14 year old schoolgirl Tracy Browne in 1975. She gave one of the best e-fit descriptions and when George Oldfield interviewed her she was adamant her attacker had a Yorkshire accent (he'd walked up the lane and chatted with her for quite a long time), but Oldfield tried to convince her she'd heard a Wearside accident.

And that was one of the reasons it took longer to catch him - the police were totally convinced by the hoaxer "Wearside Jack".

I have known about this case for a long time. For me, the murders aren't what disturb me the most. It's the way the press treated the murders. I'll show an article from a few days after Jayne MacDonald was murdered. The way the newspaper refers to Wilma McCann, Patricia Atkinson and Irene Richardson is just disgusting. Then they say that Jayne was "killed by mistake". You don't do what he (This man doesn't deserve to be called by name) did to her "by mistake".

Even without a membership, you should be able to see this. Know the language used to refer to these poor women is disturbing.

On a less grim note, it's interested that one of the names used was "The Shadows Maniac". I'm trying to find articles from the time of these murders to truly see how the case progressed. As they should have, they saw the connection between the murders of Wilma and Emily Jackson before Emily was even identified.

Last edited:
Every attack/murder that we know of, even those suspected. Post is a work in progress.
Date of attack/murderDetails
1969Female sex worker attacked in Bradford with a sock with a stone inside of it. Weapon broke during attack. Victim didn't want to press charges.
5 July, 1975Anna Rogulskyj was attacked with a hammer and a knife while walking home alone

This is an update of my previous post. Can a moderator delete that one?

Every attack/murder that we know of.
DateAttack or MurderDetails
1969AttackFemale sex worker attacked in Bradford with a sock with a stone inside of it. Weapon broke during attack. No charges were pressed.
5 July, 1975Attack28-year-old Anna Rogulskyj was attacked with a hammer and a knife while walking home alone in Keighley. Anna survived as the attack was disturbed by a neighbour.
15 August, 1975Attack46-year-old Olive Smelt was attacked with a hammer and a knife in Halifax. Olive also survived.
27 August, 1975Attack14-year-old Tracy Browne was attacked with a hammer in Silsden. A passing car disturbed attack, leaving Tracy alive. Confession to this attack occurred in 1992, 16 years later.
30 October, 1975Murder24-year-old Wilma McCann was murdered in Leeds with a hammer and knife.
20 January 1976Murder42-year-old Emily Jackson was murdered in Leeds with a hammer and a screwdriver.
9 May, 1976Attack20-year-old Marcella Claxton was attacked with a hammer after a party in Leeds. Marcella was four months pregnant at the time and lost her baby.
5 February, 1977Murder28-year-old Irene Richardson was murdered with a hammer and a knife in Leeds.
23 April, 1977Murder33-year-old Patricia "Tina" Atkinson was murdered in her Bradford flat.
26 June, 1977Murder16-year-old Jayne MacDonald was murdered in Leeds. Unlike the previous victims, she was not a sex worker.
10 July, 1977Attack42-year-old Maureen Long was attacked in Bradford. The attack was interrupted, leaving Maureen alive.
1 October, 1977Murder20-year-old Jean Jordan was murdered in Manchester.
14 December, 1977Attack25-year-old Marilyn Moore was attacked in Leeds. She survived the attack.
c. January 21, 1978Murder21-year-old Yvonne Pearson was murdered in Bradford. Her body was not found until April 1978.
3 February, 1978Murder18-year-old Helen Rytka was murdered in Huddersfield.
17 May, 1978Murder40-year-old Vera Millward was murdered in Manchester.
4 April, 1979Murder19-year-old Josephine Whitaker was murdered while walking home in Halifax.
1 September, 1979Murder20-year-old Barbara Leach was murdered in Bradford.
20 August, 1980Murder47-year-old Marguerite Walls was murdered in Leeds.
24 September, 1980AttackUphadya Bandara was attacked in Leeds. She survived the attack.
25 October, 1980Attack20-year-old Maureen "Mo" Lea was attacked in Leeds. She survived her attack.
5 November, 1980Attack16-year-old Theresa Sykes was attacked in Huddersfield. She survived her attack.
17 November, 1980Murder20-year-old Jacqueline Hill was murdered in Leads.
What scares me here is that there's long gaps between some and only gaps of days between others. This makes me think, are there attacks we don't know about? I didn't hear about Mo Lea for a while. Her case wasn't on Wikipedia until 2013/2014, about 32 year after the cases were solved.

Last edited:
This is an update of my previous post. Can a moderator delete that one?

Every attack/murder that we know of.
DateAttack or MurderDetails
1969AttackFemale sex worker attacked in Bradford with a sock with a stone inside of it. Weapon broke during attack. No charges were pressed.
5 July, 1975Attack28-year-old Anna Rogulskyj was attacked with a hammer and a knife while walking home alone in Keighley. Anna survived as the attack was disturbed by a neighbour.
15 August, 1975Attack46-year-old Olive Smelt was attacked with a hammer and a knife in Halifax. Olive also survived.
27 August, 1975Attack14-year-old Tracy Browne was attacked with a hammer in Silsden. A passing car disturbed attack, leaving Tracy alive. Confession to this attack occurred in 1992, 16 years later.
30 October, 1975Murder24-year-old Wilma McCann was murdered in Leeds with a hammer and knife.
20 January 1976Murder42-year-old Emily Jackson was murdered in Leeds with a hammer and a screwdriver.
9 May, 1976Attack20-year-old Marcella Claxton was attacked with a hammer after a party in Leeds. Marcella was four months pregnant at the time and lost her baby.
5 February, 1977Murder28-year-old Irene Richardson was murdered with a hammer and a knife in Leeds.
23 April, 1977Murder33-year-old Patricia "Tina" Atkinson was murdered in her Bradford flat.
26 June, 1977Murder16-year-old Jayne MacDonald was murdered in Leeds. Unlike the previous victims, she was not a sex worker.
10 July, 1977Attack42-year-old Maureen Long was attacked in Bradford. The attack was interrupted, leaving Maureen alive.
1 October, 1977Murder20-year-old Jean Jordan was murdered in Manchester.
14 December, 1977Attack25-year-old Marilyn Moore was attacked in Leeds. She survived the attack.
c. January 21, 1978Murder21-year-old Yvonne Pearson was murdered in Bradford. Her body was not found until April 1978.
3 February, 1978Murder18-year-old Helen Rytka was murdered in Huddersfield.
17 May, 1978Murder40-year-old Vera Millward was murdered in Manchester.
4 April, 1979Murder19-year-old Josephine Whitaker was murdered while walking home in Halifax.
1 September, 1979Murder20-year-old Barbara Leach was murdered in Bradford.
20 August, 1980Murder47-year-old Marguerite Walls was murdered in Leeds.
24 September, 1980AttackUphadya Bandara was attacked in Leeds. She survived the attack.
25 October, 1980Attack20-year-old Maureen "Mo" Lea was attacked in Leeds. She survived her attack.
5 November, 1980Attack16-year-old Theresa Sykes was attacked in Huddersfield. She survived her attack.
17 November, 1980Murder20-year-old Jacqueline Hill was murdered in Leads.
What scares me here is that there's long gaps between some and only gaps of days between others. This makes me think, are there attacks we don't know about? I didn't hear about Mo Lea for a while. Her case wasn't on Wikipedia until 2013/2014, about 32 year after the cases were solved.
Apparently in the same confession where he confessed to attacking Tracy Browne, he also confessed to attacking an unnamed Irish woman who was a student in 1975. This woman, like Tracy, survived her assault. Do we know if he was lying? The only other women attacked in 1975 that we know of other than Tracy are Olive Smelt, Anna Rogulskyj and Wilma McCann. Like all clippings, everyone should be able to see this.

I watched a show on him this morning (Sunday) on Court TV.

I feel like it's quite clear why we don't know of some victims. It's probably the same reason Mo Lea gave in the interview for the Netflix documentary. They didn't want to be associated with a killer of sex workers. I'm still be pretty sure that in the back of some undocumented victim's heads, they knew they were attacked by the killer.

He travelled up and down the country in his lorry and must have attacked more women. I wonder whether he knew Joseph Kappen (bus driver + bouncer)

Apparently in the same confession where he confessed to attacking Tracy Browne, he also confessed to attacking an unnamed Irish woman who was a student in 1975. This woman, like Tracy, survived her assault. Do we know if he was lying? The only other women attacked in 1975 that we know of other than Tracy are Olive Smelt, Anna Rogulskyj and Wilma McCann. Like all clippings, everyone should be able to see this.
The Irish woman was Leeds student Ann Rooney, who was attacked in 1979. This one got past me while looking for attacks. That alone is terrifying, that there's so many attacks I forgot about one... her info is on the Wikipedia.

Based on her FindAGrave, Wilma McCann's birthday just passed...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgreen63
Back