US Virgin Is - Sarm Joan Lillian Heslop, 41, British, aboard vessel Siren Song, St. John, 7 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sign of missing woman

A U.S. Coast Guard spokesman said that Sector San Juan received a call from a man at 11:46 a.m. Monday, “who reported that his girlfriend may have fallen from their 47-foot catamaran, the Siren Song, the night before.”

The caller said they had gone to sleep at around 10 p.m. and “at 2 a.m. he woke up and realized that she was not on board. He stated that her belongings were still aboard the vessel, as far as her cellphone, shoes and purse.”

The vessel’s tender, or dinghy, was still tied up.

An initial V.I. Police press release listed Heslop’s age as 56, but police confirmed Wednesday that she is 41.

Last edited:
So he wakes at 2am but doesn't ring the coastguard until nearly 10hrs later?? Surely you would call them immediately, especially given you've been asleep for 4hrs!!

Moo
Huge red-flag obviously... You don't search a small boat for 10 hours. She didn't swim to shore... my understanding is there were anchored in the water, not tied to a dock. What did he think when she wasn't there?

Giving the benefit of doubt to the SO- perhaps alcohol played a part in his initial response time and he fell back to sleep thinking she was somewhere on the boat and would be there in the morning. To be fair, I wouldn't make up a story that said I noticed at 2am then didn't call until noon if I were trying to cover my tracks. It would be more like I woke up at sunrise and she wasn't there and I called right away...

Praying she is just somewhere on the island enjoying herself.

I couldn't read the link above as it required me to register with the news source. But here is an ad for that particular boat for charter in the Virgin Islands. Sounds like it comes with a Captain and it doesn't appear they just "rent" it out without at least a partial crew. So were she and her boyfriend the only people on board, and if so, why? SIREN SONG: 47' Catamaran - All Inclusive Crewed Yacht Charter

I couldn't read the link above as it required me to register with the news source. But here is an ad for that particular boat for charter in the Virgin Islands. Sounds like it comes with a Captain and it doesn't appear they just "rent" it out without at least a partial crew. So were she and her boyfriend the only people on board, and if so, why? SIREN SONG: 47' Catamaran - All Inclusive Crewed Yacht Charter

With this company, you can "bareboat" charter which means you can prove you have sailed a boat of approximate size and have the skills to do all the necessary skills. You can prove it by sharing your previous experience or having them do a skills outing with you. It is not uncommon for people who have sailed in other areas of the world to want to take boats out on their own.

Here is the company's statements about "bareboat" sailing: Boat Bvi FAQ Virgin Island Sailing

I appreciate you can't read this link, this snip may answer your question.

Ms Heslop’s boyfriend, named locally as Captain Ryan Bane – the owner of the luxury charter yacht – told the Coast Guard's San Juan station that she had gone to sleep at around 10pm, and that “at 2am he woke up and realised that she was not on board” his catamaran.

Huge search and rescue operation mounted for UK woman who vanished from a yacht moored off the US Virgin Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayana2cool4school