Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

I only followed the case at the beginning. I thought I remembered that Brenner was a friend of or acquainted with Dylan's grandparents? Is that mistaken? Am I thinking of someone else that the grandparents were friends with?
No, the family friend known to Dylan's grandparents was Don. The defendant (JB) and Don were friends. Don previously worked for Dylan but they had recently parted ways.

I recall Don was identified in police reports linked earlier after he told investigators that JB, a convicted felon, brought weapons he had in his trailer to Don for storage. He was not allowed to possess firearms and was afraid police might become involved in Dylan's missing person investigation and confiscate them.

IIRC, Don did not disclose this to police initially but came clean with this information the next time he talked to investigators. MOO

Sorry if my post was unclear. It was DH that kept the .22 rifle received from JB for safekeeping. DH handed over JB's muzzleloader guns to LE but retained the rifle because DH believed the owner that left the long gun behind in the trailer that JB squatted owed him money. DH eventually handed over the .22 rifle to LE. MOO

Brenner appeared in the First District Court of Brigham City on Wednesday, May 15 where he accepted a plea deal from the prosecution, according to the Box Elder County Attorney’s Office. The plea deal required Brenner to disclose the location of Dylan’s remains prior to today’s court date.

In exchange for Dylan’s location, Brenner received a reduction in his charges. The first-degree felony aggravated murder charge was reduced to a second-degree felony murder charge. The second charge of desecration of human remains was dismissed.

5/15/24

Brenner also pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of a firearm by a restricted person and a third case for aggravated assault unrelated to Dylan Rounds was also dismissed. The plea deal mandates a prison sentence and the sentences for each charge must run consecutively.

Brenner will be sentenced on July 1, 2024.

Brenner will be sentenced 7/1/24

‘The justice system forced us into this type of plea’: Family of young farmer murdered by squatter disappointed by killer’s sentence

A Utah squatter has admitted to murdering a young farmer after agreeing to lead authorities to the location where he buried the body.

James Brenner, 60, pleaded guilty in the May 2022 death of Dylan Rounds. As part of a plea deal, Brenner had to tell law enforcement where he buried the body, prosecutors said in a news release.

In exchange, he received a reduction from first-degree felony aggravated murder to second-degree felony murder, prosecutors said. The second charge — desecration of human remains — was dismissed. Brenner also pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of a firearm by a restricted person. The plea deal also includes an agreement that the sentences for the charges run consecutively, and prison is mandatory. He’s set to be sentenced on July 1 and faces between three and 30 years in prison.

Rounds’ mother, Candice Cooley, told the East Idaho News outside court he should have gotten more.

After reading the above posts there is no mention as to how and why James Brenner killed Dylan.
Maybe LE is keeping that information confidential pending any further litigation in this case.
We can speculate that there was some type of spontaneous confrontaion between JB and DR.
I don't believe this was a pre-meditated murder but we will never know at least for the time being.
Sadly Dylan is not here to give his side of the story.

There had to be something going on between them, otherwise Dylan would not have had that recording on his phone.
Its possible that JB might have accidentally activated the phone camera after taking it from DR.
According to the above PE podcast DR was shot in the head he would have been unable to record JB.
Did the video provide any clue as to location of the shooting or the circumstances leading up to the shooting.
The above questions doesn't change the fact that Dylan's life was cut way too short by a very evil person.

IIRC it wasn't video recorded ON his phone but rather TO his phone. Believed he was being stolen from so he set up surveillance which was motion detected. Captured footage after Dylan was murdered, where JB had blood on himself. MOO, going off memory.

If only Dylan realized how dangerous JB was.

JB, a waste.

Dylan shoukd be alive, growing his crop, growing his footprint, living his dream.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57
Back