UT UT - Ellsworth Wilson Mielke, 33, Salt Lake City, 25 Aug 1947

No. There's absolutely NOTHING that shows Ellsworth went back to New York. No records, no burials, no nothing. He had many siblings. Something would've came up.

His family wouldn't be opening his missing persons report 75 years later if they suspected that.

REading between the lines tells me that Ellsworth was still alive and went back to San Born, New York to live with his parents. That would explain a lot. They just failed to inform the police he was still alive. In New York.

Does that sound plausible?

Father Elsworth W Mielkie
white, age 31
Birth place Now York (I assume New York)
Chauffeur
self employed
Mother: Helen Hansen

View attachment 465229

View attachment 465230
I am also a genealogical researcher as well and have found no evidence of his existence after his son's stillbirth certificate. I do appreciate your point of view and I will investigate New York. HOWEVER, I think it is very clear to me that he suffered an episode. He had quite the military history. During his confusion, he either came to accident or foul play. To me this is the simplest explanation.

Ok so to me this speaks clearly that Ellsworth Mielke is a likely UID. Hardly anyone lives to 103 years of age.

If he is a UID, what area would he have been found in?

If he is a UID, what decade would he have been discovered?

If he is a UID, what other information could help us connect him to ... him?

Ok so to me this speaks clearly that Ellsworth Mielke is a likely UID. Hardly anyone lives to 103 years of age.

Unfortunately I agree.

He wasn't feeling well that day. His boss confirmed that. I think an episode was coming on. He left work and perhaps got confused on his way home. His house was in the opposite his truck was found after all.

It's possible he looked like an easy target to someone and met with foul play. Maybe he was confused and tried to hitchhike back to New York? Or it's possible just wandered away into an accident /misadventure. I would start with UIDs closest to Lagoon and work outwards from there.

It's too bad there aren't any notable characteristics listed. Maybe a pair of eyeglasses though. Leather would degrade far slower than say a cotton shirt or jacket. Any major dental characteristics MIGHT be ruled out using the photo of him smiling.

Unfortunately I agree.

He wasn't feeling well that day. His boss confirmed that. I think an episode was coming on. He left work and perhaps got confused on his way home. His house was in the opposite his truck was found after all.

It's possible he looked like an easy target to someone and met with foul play. Maybe he was confused and tried to hitchhike back to New York? Or it's possible just wandered away into an accident /misadventure. I would start with UIDs closest to Lagoon and work outwards from there.

It's too bad there aren't any notable characteristics listed. Maybe a pair of eyeglasses though. Leather would degrade far slower than say a cotton shirt or jacket. Any major dental characteristics MIGHT be ruled out using the photo of him smiling.
@Laughing do you know a way to search his military records for any potential injuries that would leave a mark, or surgical scar? Did you see anywhere else he was familiar with militarily besides NY and UT? I only saw those two states.

I agree with @TinfoilYarmulke to start in Utah and spread towards NY if I am to search for UIDs. I agree with @Quoththeraven to also search New York back towards UT.

I haven't been active in a long time but this hit me in the feels. Am I missing anything? Do they do stuff with DNA now? I feel so behind the ball but my gut tells me, he had an episode and he went to what felt familiar.....

Was he from an area in New York with a lot of lakes? Could he have wandered towards the GSL? Bay is not far from Lagoon.

It's not often to have an old MP pop up like this and I think there are so many chances there is a hit there somewhere if we have the right link!

Remember when you.look at the map upthread that the beginnings of what would become the interstate highway system was a decade in the future. It likely was a much more circuitous route and took considerably more time to get from Point A to Point B.

@Laughing do you know a way to search his military records for any potential injuries that would leave a mark, or surgical scar? Did you see anywhere else he was familiar with militarily besides NY and UT? I only saw those two states.

I agree with @TinfoilYarmulke to start in Utah and spread towards NY if I am to search for UIDs. I agree with @Quoththeraven to also search New York back towards UT.

I haven't been active in a long time but this hit me in the feels. Am I missing anything? Do they do stuff with DNA now? I feel so behind the ball but my gut tells me, he had an episode and he went to what felt familiar.....

Was he from an area in New York with a lot of lakes? Could he have wandered towards the GSL? Bay is not far from Lagoon.

It's not often to have an old MP pop up like this and I think there are so many chances there is a hit there somewhere if we have the right link!

I checked Fold3. All that's listed is his draft card registration. His brother George was in the Army WWII is all I found regarding military service.

Attachments

• draftcard.png
    draftcard.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 5
I checked Fold3. All that's listed is his draft card registration. His brother George was in the Army WWII is all I found regarding military service.
I saw like 20 different registrations and I was like... ok I'm not cut out for this tonight. He clearly served our country and we owe him his body back...tysm for any resource you can send my way... you seem really good with the records as well. I have a punch in my gut feeling that this man is a UID somewhere already in the system.... hard punch on this one.

I agree, he's probably a UID. No sign of him in online New York records. His sister Nellie's obit, 1991, lists one brother surviving, George, and George's obit, 1994, lists Ellsworth as deceased. Source: Ancestry.com

He's also listed as deceased here.

I agree, he's probably a UID. No sign of him in online New York records. His sister Nellie's obit, 1991, lists one brother surviving, George, and George's obit, 1994, lists Ellsworth as deceased. Source: Ancestry.com

He's also listed as deceased here.
Interesting. I've noticed every where he is listed deceased at, there is not a date listed and no records attached to verify or confirm it.

Obviously, by now at over 100 he's likely deceased, but I think the lack of death records is quite telling.

Is Ancestry usually accurate? I'm not very familiar with it. I found this, but I don't know if it means anything. It states Ellsworth passed away in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1949. Could he have been considered deceased after missing for 2 years?
1701738473963.png

Is Ancestry usually accurate? I'm not very familiar with it. I found this, but I don't know if it means anything. It states Ellsworth passed away in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1949. Could he have been considered deceased after missing for 2 years?
Five years, I believe, to be legally declared dead. That Ancestry entry could be an error. You'd have to contact the person who did the genealogy to make sure. They might know something we don't. Or it's just another error like on his son's death certificate, which had several.
(e)An individual whose death is not established under Subsection (1)(a), (b), (c) or (d) who is absent for a continuous period of five years, during which the individual has not been heard from, and whose absence is not satisfactorily explained after diligent search or inquiry, is presumed to be dead.

Five years, I believe, to be legally declared dead. That Ancestry entry could be an error. You'd have to contact the person who did the genealogy to make sure. They might know something we don't. Or it's just another error like on his son's death certificate, which had several.
(e)An individual whose death is not established under Subsection (1)(a), (b), (c) or (d) who is absent for a continuous period of five years, during which the individual has not been heard from, and whose absence is not satisfactorily explained after diligent search or inquiry, is presumed to be dead.

But subsection (d) does give flexibility in allowing circumstantial evidence (which may be taken to include disappearance and no further evidence of life). This is common elsewhere and used to advance a declaration of death where issues such as dealing with insurance or the estate of the missing requires a declaration.
On a minor point discussed earlier, I am unsure of the sex of the stillborn baby. The two Ancestry trees with the best provenance (one from a nephew and the other from a grandson - I think) either support the girl registration (nephew) or hedge the bets by including both options (grandson). But I do not think the gender is relevant to the disappearance.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graceyfc
Back