Found Safe UT - Kai Zhuang, 17, international student, 28 December 2023 *ransom demand*

cocomod

Reaction score

RIVERDALE, Utah — Riverdale police released a missing endangered advisory for a foreign exchange student in Utah who they believe may have forcibly been taken from his home.

The advisory was released early Friday morning for Kai Zhuang. He is described as a 17-year-old Asian male. Zhuang is 5’10” tall and weighs 170 pounds with black hair and black eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
New updates
“According to Riverdale Police Chief Casey Warren, authorities received a report of Zhuan’s kidnapping at 8:30 p.m. Thursday from the high school he attended. Warren said Zhuan’s parents in China told the school they received a photo of their son that made it appear he was kidnapped and the kidnappers were asking for a ransom.”

Police said the high school Kai is attending contacted officers after Kai's parents in China notified the school they had received a "photograph of their child that would indicate he was abducted and they requested a ransom." Further details were not given.

Officers responded to the residence of the host family in Riverdale, who were unaware Kai was missing. The host family said they had seen Kai the night before and had heard him in the early hours of Friday, police said.

Police said no evidence suggests he was forcibly taken from the home. Riverdale police say ransom note was received for missing foreign exchange student

Sorry, all. Some of the details have me a bit confused. Trying to make sense of this. Let me know where I'm misunderstanding.

According to Riverdale Police Chief Casey Warren, authorities received a report of Zhuan’s kidnapping at 8:30 p.m. Thursday from the high school he attended. (The school reported him missing? Aren't they on break? 8:30 PM?)

Warren said Zhuan’s parents in China told the school they received a photo of their son that made it appear he was kidnapped and the kidnappers were asking for a ransom. (Did the parents call the school and NOT the host family? The school then reported him missing?)

Police checked the home where the Zhuang was staying. The host family told police they did not notice him missing and had last seen him the night before and possibly heard him in the morning. (Where did they think he was? Was it normal for him to be gone like this?)

Police said Kai was last seen at approximately 3:30 a.m. Thursday. They did not know what clothing he was wearing but said he has been known to wear a green jacket. (He was reported missing at 8:30 PM, last see the same day at 3:30 AM? By whom? Where? Again, where did his host family think he was?)

Warren said there is no evidence that Zhuan was forcibly taken from his host family’s home. (Then why does the headline say

Police searching for foreign exchange student in Utah who may have been forcefully taken?​

I am also confused and hope to god he's okay.

He was last seen Thursday at about 3:30 a.m.

At this point, police do not believe he was forced to be taken from the home in Riverdale. Though he is still considered to be endangered at this time.

Riverdale police say they are working with the FBI, the US Embassy in China and China officials to locate the missing juvenile.

No suspect has been identified at this time.

Because Zhuang is a foreign exchange student and underage, Retired Deputy Police Chief Bertram said the FBI, the state, and local authorities will be using national resources to find him.

<modsnip - snipped for copyright, more at link>

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thing sounds like a movie plot. Per post #11, the first possibility mentioned is a hoax. Are they leaning that way? But then option 2 makes it sound like (if you read more of the article) this kind of thing is happening and they have been warning people about it.

Who is the host family? 330am? Has he been in Utah since 9th grade, or did he just arrive this fall?

If he has been a student in the USA since freshman year, he's got to have a friend group that LE can tap into.. social media? How fluent was he in English?

In sf we have not a small number of Chinese students who attend four years of high school and live with their 'aunt', not sure if that's what is happening here or this was just for this year/semester.

I am hopeful that this is just a kid gone astray on purpose and wants to rebel a little...

Sorry, all. Some of the details have me a bit confused. Trying to make sense of this. Let me know where I'm misunderstanding.

According to Riverdale Police Chief Casey Warren, authorities received a report of Zhuan’s kidnapping at 8:30 p.m. Thursday from the high school he attended. (The school reported him missing? Aren't they on break? 8:30 PM?)

Warren said Zhuan’s parents in China told the school they received a photo of their son that made it appear he was kidnapped and the kidnappers were asking for a ransom. (Did the parents call the school and NOT the host family? The school then reported him missing?)

Police checked the home where the Zhuang was staying. The host family told police they did not notice him missing and had last seen him the night before and possibly heard him in the morning. (Where did they think he was? Was it normal for him to be gone like this?)

Police said Kai was last seen at approximately 3:30 a.m. Thursday. They did not know what clothing he was wearing but said he has been known to wear a green jacket. (He was reported missing at 8:30 PM, last see the same day at 3:30 AM? By whom? Where? Again, where did his host family think he was?)

Warren said there is no evidence that Zhuan was forcibly taken from his host family’s home. (Then why does the headline say

Police searching for foreign exchange student in Utah who may have been forcefully taken?​

It's all very confusing. I'm following this topic in hopes things will become clearer and that he is safe.

Maybe something like this scam is going on?
''Toronto police say they believe two Chinese students they first thought were missing persons are actually victims of a scam targeting their parents back in China.

Since Wednesday, police were made aware that two Chinese students studying in Toronto, Juanwen Zhang, 20, and Ke “Jaden” Xu, were reported missing to authorities.

After looking into the matter, investigators say they believe suspects contacted both students and told them to go into hiding and stay off their phones and social media, saying their families back in China would be in danger if they did not comply.''

Maybe something like this scam is going on?
''Toronto police say they believe two Chinese students they first thought were missing persons are actually victims of a scam targeting their parents back in China.

Since Wednesday, police were made aware that two Chinese students studying in Toronto, Juanwen Zhang, 20, and Ke “Jaden” Xu, were reported missing to authorities.

After looking into the matter, investigators say they believe suspects contacted both students and told them to go into hiding and stay off their phones and social media, saying their families back in China would be in danger if they did not comply.''

I think you are right! Looks like similar have been going on for years.
ETA I hope so as this would mean safe.

DOTR worth calling in I think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HairHawk