UT UT - Kiplyn Davis, 15, Spanish Fork, 2 May 1995

Hard to believe no one has broken down and told where she is or what exactly happened to her...I feel so bad for her family...I cannot imagine what they are going through...not only losing their daughter the way they have, but that so many people have known for so many years and not coming forward...there are some pretty awful people in this world!

There is no cure for the pain in Richard Davis' heart. There is no escaping it, no medicine for it, no surgery that can make it better. At night while lying in bed, or out on the highway when he is alone with his thoughts, he thinks about it and feels an ache deep in his chest.
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret Morning NewsTamara and Richard Davis have left the porch light on since Kiplyn vanished.
The last words he said to Kiplyn.
There's a tombstone in the cemetery with Kiplyn's name on it. The Davises are certain she has left this world, and they've known it since the first days of her disappearance; known it in their bones. And yet they still keep the front porch light on, waiting for her return. For more than 10 years the light has shined, night and day. When the bulb burns out, they replace it, even if it's in the dead of a winter night, even if it means borrowing a bulb from another fixture in the house because they've run out of new bulbs. The neighbors and the mailman have knocked on the door to tell them: Your light is out.
"I just want to bring my girl home," says Davis, as he stands on his front porch, under the light on a recent afternoon.
When he gets on his knees at night, he prays for three things: Please, bring Kiplyn home. Please, soften people's hearts. Please, provide a clue and help the police agencies find her.
She vanished on a cool wet day, May 2, 1995. It rained hard most of the day, letting up late in the afternoon. When Davis returned home from work at about 5 p.m. and didn't find Kiplyn there, he knew immediately something was wrong. That wasn't like her. She always returned from school at about 3:30 and then called her mother at work.
"You could set your watch by her," says Davis.
He called Tamara, who said she hadn't heard from Kiplyn. Davis drove to the high school, but no one there had seen her. During the next few hours, he drove to a church youth activity to see if she was there and then back to the high school to see if she had shown up at play practice.
He called the police. They dismissed it as a runaway case and said she would probably turn up soon. Davis knew his daughter was no runaway.

Eight years later, when Elizabeth Smart disappeared, the media-savvy Smarts put her face on TV and in newspapers and on the Internet almost immediately, largely through press conferences.
The Davises had none of this working for them. It was more than two weeks before the first press conference. The Davises were on their own, which was a frightful, overwhelming prospect. The day after the disappearance, extended family gathered to discuss the situation. Karissa, only 10 at the time, suggested fliers. They printed the fliers themselves at a local print shop and posted them in Spanish Fork, Springville and Payson.
"We did it all ourselves," says Davis. "The police had no clue. I wasn't Tom Smart. I'm just a contractor. We begged the police for help and then would tell them how to do it."
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635171683,00.html

From Mysteryview's link,

It was Tamara's turn to drive Kiplyn to school. She went outside to warm up the car at 5:20. After a few minutes, Davis realized Kiplyn still had not left the house. "Kiplyn," he said, "your mom's in the car waiting for you!"
From another part of the house, Kiplyn replied, "I haven't got my makeup on yet."
And then Davis uttered the words that have haunted him for a decade: "You get your damn makeup and get the hell out of here."
Sitting in his living room, his eyes fill with tears as he tells this story. "That's the last thing I said to my daughter," he says firmly. "Can you believe that? I have to live with that the rest of my life."

How sad that his last words to his daughter were harsh ones. She got up 30 min. late. If she had missed school that day she may have lived. Life is strange.
Too bad all these people knew the story of what really happened and not one of them would tell.

It brought tears to my eyes to read this thread and what has happend. That poor man. You spend your whole life protecting, loving, and cherishing your children, then one bad morning something meaninless comes out and your haunted with it the rest of your life. I hope that he remembers all the times that he kissed her boo boos, or told her he loved her, or that he was proud of her. I hope and pray that they get peace very soon.

Angels_Not_Forgotten said:
It brought tears to my eyes to read this thread and what has happend. That poor man. You spend your whole life protecting, loving, and cherishing your children, then one bad morning something meaninless comes out and your haunted with it the rest of your life. I hope that he remembers all the times that he kissed her boo boos, or told her he loved her, or that he was proud of her. I hope and pray that they get peace very soon.

That's beautiful! If only we could all remember the times we said the rigtht things, instead of the wrong things! I'm sure Kiplyn knows she is loved and remembered... She was a teenager after all, she probable didn't even hear what her dad said...

imo

The trial for one of the top suspects in the disappearance of a Spanish Fork teen 10 years ago has been pushed back more than a month.

The trial for Timmy Brent Olsen, who faces several counts of perjury to an FBI agent and to a federal grand jury, will begin Feb. 21, not on Monday as scheduled, said Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Last month, Brunson was the first to strike a plea deal with prosecutors, saying he is willing to testify against Olsen and others. Brunson said he was asked by Olsen to also create a false alibi by telling police that Olsen and others were at Brunson's home helping roof a shed. Brunson now says that story was false and has agreed to testify against Olsen in both state and federal court if Olsen stands trial.
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635173734,00.html

A second man has struck a plea deal in the case of a missing Spanish Fork teenager, another step toward solving the mystery of what happened to 15-year-old Kiplyn Davis.
Court records show that Garry Blackmore, 26, is slated to enter a new plea Jan. 19 before U.S. Magistrate David Nuffer. Blackmore, who is accused of lying to FBI agents and a grand jury about what he knew about Davis' disappearance almost 11 years ago, had originally pleaded not guilty and been scheduled to go to trial next Tuesday.
The U.S. Attorney's Office and Blackmore's defense attorney declined Tuesday to give details about the plea bargain. Blackmore, a former Salem resident who now lives in Canada, is charged with four counts of making false statements and one count of perjury.
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3390851

A former Utahn admitted Tuesday that he lied when he told an FBI agent and a federal grand jury that he never heard a friend say anything about a missing Spanish Fork teenager or confess to her killing.
As part of a deal with the U.S. Attorney's Office, Garry Von Blackmore pleaded guilty to one count each of perjury and making a false statement in the investigation into the disappearance of 15-year-old Kiplyn Davis.
The plea was made in a closed hearing before U.S. District Court Magistrate Samuel Alba in Salt Lake City. Prosecutors declined
to give details of the plea bargain, which was sealed.
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3412578

2nd plea in Kiplyn case

A suspect in the disappearance and possible murder of 15-year-old Kiplyn Davis now says he was privy to a murder confession by another man charged in the case, further cracking the wall of silence surrounding the 10-year-old mystery.

According to a federal indictment filed against Blackmore last August, Blackmore had repeatedly denied discussing Davis' disappearance with a person referred to as an unreported party.
In particular, Blackmore now admits that during a road trip to Wendover, a friend confessed to Blackmore that he had killed Davis after she vanished from Spanish Fork High School on May 2, 1995. Given information released about the case, that friend is believed to be Timmy Brent Olsen.

Last month, Scott Brunson agreed to testify against Olsen. Brunson now claims Olsen asked to cover for him by creating a false alibi for law enforcement, telling police that Olsen was at Brunson's home helping roof a shed on the day Davis disappeared.
Federal prosecutors have said a wall of secrecy has surrounded the case, with many people in the Spanish Fork community threatened and intimidated into silence for almost a decade.
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635177148,00.html

I have to say that I really admire these prosecutor's. It is a slow hard road, but they are steadily making progress. Slowly, the blanket of threats an imtimidation is being uncovered. They are breaking them down, and through the Grand Jury and the plea bargains......it is working. They are turning defendents into witnesses against the person thought to have actually committed the murder.

There's going to be a press conference this afternoon at 3:00 concerning Kiplyn. Apparently, one of the guys who changed his plea is gonna let loose some information! They're officially calling it a homicide investigation and are saying this conference is about "a major development." Maybe they found her body?!

OH I HOPE SO!!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=152322

I'm watching the news conference...they're going to charge Timmy Brent Olson with First degree murder in the case. they have ideas where her body is, but are going to wait until spring.

How hard for the family to wait until spring! I'd want to go RIGHT NOW and look for her. I can't believe the scum these guys are for keeping quiet for 11 years. How could someone even sleep knowing what they were putting her family though! Thank goodness it's first degree murder. Utah has the DP doesn't it?

Yeah, we have the death penalty. I believe this Olson guy is also facing over 100 years of jail time just because he's been found guilty of 26 counts of lying to a federal jury. They had better throw the book at this *advertiser censored**hole!!

The Utah County Attorney's Office announced today that it has charged a former classmate of Kiplyn Davis with first-degree felony murder in the Spanish Fork girl's 1995 disappearance, a big step toward solving the mystery of what happened to the teenager.
Timmy Brent Olsen, 28, a Spanish Fork mechanic, is already in jail. He has been incarcerated since his arrest last fall on federal perjury charges stemming from the investigation into Kiplyn's fate.
Olsen is the first defendant to face state charges in the case. He and four other men - David Rucker Leifson, 28, of Bountiful; Christopher Neal Jeppson, 28, West Jordan; Garry Von Blackmore, 26, Cardston, Alberta, Canada; and Scott
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3418429?source=rss

The Utah County Attorney's office has charged Timmy Brent Olsen in the death of Kiplyn Davis.

Utah County Attorney Kay Bryson said Olsen was charged with first-degree murder on Thursday, facing a possible life prison term if convicted.

Bryson said the charge against Olsen may change as evidence changes and stated he may not be the only person facing charges in the teen's murder.
http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_019171730.html

jaybird said:
I'm watching the news conference...they're going to charge Timmy Brent Olson with First degree murder in the case. they have ideas where her body is, but are going to wait until spring.

Did they say why they will be waiting until spring to look for her body?
Are you local? Can you advise as to whether there is snow on the ground, ice on rivers or any other obstacles to doing a search now?

yeah, I'm local. I lived in Spanish Fork until 2004, now I'm about 40 minutes away. We had an incredible snowstorm yesterday that was dropping an average of 4 to 5 inches PER HOUR. The big rumor is that she's buried somewhere up Spanish Fork Canyon, and so with all the snow up there, it makes sense they'd want to wait.

The guy who did the press conference (the attorney general, Kay Brunson), said they had "ideas" of where she's at...I don't know how many or how far up they go. Could also be they're hoping that one of the suspects will give up a little more info in the meantime.

jaybird said:
yeah, I'm local.

Hi jaybird! I am also in Utah!
From my understanding ... they know the general area where she is.
If they had an exact spot they would start searching now, but since
they only know the general area they will wait until the snow melts.
I hope that one of the 5 will tell the exact spot so they can start searching now!
They also said that they believe they know what happened to her (how and why she died) but they won't comment.
I am so happy for her family to finally be able to get answers!

More than a decade after teenager Kiplyn Davis disappeared, her hometown learned the bittersweet news: A former classmate is charged with killing her and authorities hope to find and bring her body home to her grieving parents by spring.
On Thursday, prosecutors accused Timmy Brent Olsen of murder in the presumed 1995 death of the 15-year-
old.
At a Thursday news conference, Utah County Attorney Kay Bryson said he does not believe Olsen acted alone in connection with Kiplyn's death, but said prosecutors currently have sufficient evidence to charge only him. Future charges are expected, he said.
"There certainly has been a conspiracy of silence," Bryson said.
But the conspiracy is crumbling, he added, and investigators are closer to finding a body. "I think it's only a matter of time," Bryson said. "And perhaps just a matter of waiting for the spring and better weather."
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3420081

Kiplyn case has a murder charge

The Utah County Attorney's Office charged Olsen, 28, in the death of Kiplyn Davis, who disappeared from Spanish Fork High School on May 2, 1995.
Olsen, of Spanish Fork, is already charged with several counts of lying to an FBI agent and a federal grand jury in connection with Davis' disappearance. He now also faces a first-degree murder charge, which carries with it a possible sentence of life in prison.
Bryson said that conspiracy has been breaking down as a result of a grand jury investigation, which in the past year has led to the federal perjury indictments for Olsen and four other men linked to Davis' disappearance.
Two of those men, Garry Blackmore, 25, and Scott Brunson, 28, have pleaded guilty to the federal charges. Olsen and two other suspects, Christopher Neal Jeppson, 28, and David Rucker Leifson, face federal trials.
One or more of those men may also face state charges, Bryson said, and he expects that additional charges will be filed against Olsen, who has been in federal custody since September.
Bryson called the fact that Davis' body has never been found "a complicating factor" but said it's not detrimental to the case against Olsen. He also said law enforcement officials believe they have an idea where to find the girl's body.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635177786,00.html

jaybird said:
yeah, I'm local. I lived in Spanish Fork until 2004, now I'm about 40 minutes away. We had an incredible snowstorm yesterday that was dropping an average of 4 to 5 inches PER HOUR. The big rumor is that she's buried somewhere up Spanish Fork Canyon, and so with all the snow up there, it makes sense they'd want to wait.

The guy who did the press conference (the attorney general, Kay Brunson), said they had "ideas" of where she's at...I don't know how many or how far up they go. Could also be they're hoping that one of the suspects will give up a little more info in the meantime.

Thanks Jaybird. It has been mild in Ohio for Jan, but I knew that it isn't like this everywhere.
I have seen some mention that some locals believe that the boys may have had assistance or at least advice from adults, and that is why they were so successful at keeping the secret for so long. LE has made comments about the conspiracy, and hinted at others involvment.....but they aren't saying who yet.
I long slow difficult process, but I am glad they are sticking with it.
To me the only thing worse than knowing your child has been murdered, is not having a body to mourn over.
Hopefully, they will find Kiplyn.

As news spread Thursday that Utah County prosecutors had scheduled a news conference about Kiplyn Davis, hopes were high that the teenager's 1995 disappearance had been solved, anyone involved brought to justice and her body found.
"I thought, 'This is it. This will just close the case,' " said Betty Wyman, longtime secretary at Spanish Fork High School, which Kiplyn attended.
Instead, prosecutors offered mixed news: a former classmate, Timmy Brent Olsen, was charged with murder; but more charges against him and others are expected. Authorities hope to find Kiplyn's body by spring, but don't know her exact location now. And they still want and need leads from the community.

Cold case, new strategy: Since the spring of 2003, a federal grand jury has gathered periodically in Salt Lake City to hear testimony that might show what happened to Kiplyn. Its work began after the 15-year-old Spanish Fork girl's parents, Richard and Tamara Davis, asked Warner for help. Testimony has been collected from more than 70 witnesses, producing thousands of pages of transcripts. Warner says the case is the largest grand jury investigation that he's seen in Utah during his 30 years as a prosecutor.
As the work progressed, tips flowed in. By court order, the jury's term - usually 18 months - was extended. The grand jurors are still together and continue to hear evidence. Just last week, prosecutors received new information they say could be significant.
More to come: Charges against others, both in the alleged murder and "related to obstruction of justice and a cover-up and those kind of things" are still expected, Bryson adds. Kiplyn's father, Richard Davis, urges any further witnesses to step forward.
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3426723

Mullin: Parents never quit on Kiplyn

The day after Utah County authorities charged Timmy Brent Olsen with murder in the disappearance of Kiplyn Davis, I saw a car sporting a license-plate frame with an attitude. It read: "Blondes get noticed. Redheads are remembered."
Kiplyn Davis was a redhead. Her parents have battled for 10 years and nine months to make sure she is remembered. Surely, you have seen the photo of the missing 15-year-old, her head cocked to one side, her bangs set like fine threads against her forehead. The case against five alleged co-conspirators in Kiplyn's disappearance has been unfolding since April, when a federal grand jury began delivering dozens of indictments against the men for perjury and giving false statements.
As much as police, FBI investigators and federal prosecutors have dedicated themselves to gaining ground in this case, it got this far because Richard and Tamara Davis always knew something about Kiplyn's disappearance was rotten at the core.
She will be remembered.
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3426725

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice is coming