UT - Reo the Shih Tzu, 7, Clearfield, 23 Jul 2023 *Carjacking dognapper has extensive criminal history*

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
JUL 25, 2023
kutv.com

Search underway for 7-year-old Shih Tzu after stolen car recovered in Clearfield

A search is underway in Clearfield for a 7-year-old Shih Tzu, named Reo, after a car was stolen at a gas station. During the incident, the driver was assaulted by the suspect, who successfully escaped. Although the stolen car has been recovered, the dog is still missing.

According to authorities, the 74-year-old victim's Lexus RX350 was stolen from a Maverik gas station on 709 S State Street on Sunday.

The suspect, believed to be around 30 years old, reportedly took the car keys from the victim while she was inside the store. When the victim tried to intervene, the suspect allegedly struck her with a portion of the car before fleeing the scene.

JUL 28, 2023
kjzz.com

KUTV uncovers extensive criminal history of woman accused of carjacking, dog-napping

[...]

Police eventually found the stolen car abandoned and crashed near 2300 N Redwood Road in Salt Lake City. A SWAT team was needed to get into Rush's house and arrest her days later. She refuses to talk to law enforcement and tell them what happened to Reo.

KUTV looked through court documents and learned that just 10 days before this recent crime, UHP arrested Rush for driving under the influence of drugs and leaving the scene of an accident.

[...]

Then in 2021, things escalated. She was eventually convicted of aggravated assault after trying to run over a woman on the sidewalk.

More recently, in April of this year, she was accused of child abuse. The Davis County attorney asked for her to be held in jail with no bail, according to court documents. The judge decided to release her pre-trial. Her trial was scheduled for July 31st (in a few days).

[...]

JUL 27, 2023
[...]

For Thorell and her daughter, losing Reo has been a nightmare.

"Having a Shih Tzu is not like having a real dog.He's like more like having a two-year-old, and I gotta tell you, he's my baby," said Thorell. "I talk to him all day. I kiss him goodbye when I go to the store and I tell him I won't be long and I tell him I love him.

[...]

After realizing she had been spotted, arrest documents say Rush and a male companion ran into a "large industrial area and hid from police actively searching for them."

Police then went to Rush's home where she and the male were seen "running upstairs inside the apartment" and "failed to respond" to officers. After Rush was finally taken into custody, she refused to speak and was booked into the Davis County Jail.

"I don't understand why she won't tell us where Reo is. I mean, that just devastates me," said Thorell on Thursday.

[...]

JUL 28, 2023
Police recovered Thorell’s wrecked car in the 2300 block of N. Redwood Rd in Salt Lake City. Reo was nowhere to be found. It is unclear if Reo was still in the car at the time it was totaled or if he had been previously let loose.

The Thorell family told ABC4 they have been in contact with shelters across Utah, but so far, leads have been few. Thorell told ABC4 Reo has been her companion for seven years now.

If anyone finds Reo, they should take him to the nearest shelter since he is microchipped, which will help officials contact Thorell for a safe return.

Thorell's daughter, Andrea Willden, said they're now working with a dog tracker. They're working on larger posters, which they plan to hang up along on-and-off ramps from Salt Lake City to Ogden.

JUL 27, 2023
0fd1a874-d960-4e02-a217-f642aee30239-medium16x9_IMG_8342.jpeg

Search underway for 7-year-old Shih Tzu after stolen car recovered in Clearfield on July 23, 2023. (Photo: Clearfield PD with victim's permission)

Last edited:
Poor little doggie. I can relate, I've had pets that disappeared mysteriously and it broke my heart. And for pet lovers we do think of them as our child.

Wish there was a way that LE could persuade this person to tell them what happened to the pup and where it is, if she knows. The little dog could have jumped out a car window and took off. Hoping this will turn out good somehow, although it doesn't look promising right now.

REO was found safe! :)

JUL 29, 2023
“The dog is safe, healthy, and reunited with the victim. Initial information from family members of the victim, indicates the dog was dropped off by the previously arrested suspect (Rush), to a random family at this homeless camp,” Clearfield Police states.

Police say it appears that the homeless family had no idea the dog was stolen, and that they took care of the dog while in their company. Reo was reportedly given back to the victim without issue.

We don't often get happy endings here...so glad we did this time!

Even though the homeless people didn't try to find the owner I think they should get some reward money for looking after him in the interim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back