VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A series of miscarriages? Can you imagine a newborn in the same home as this disturbed 6 year old? Postpartum depression>? I thought that term was reserved for mothers after giving birth? I'm confused!

A series of miscarriages? Can you imagine a newborn in the same home as this disturbed 6 year old? Postpartum depression>? I thought that term was reserved for mothers after giving birth? I'm confused!

Apparently, pregnant people can experience "Postpartum Depression" after a miscarriage. Very sad for this woman, she has had a lot of problems.

Apparently, pregnant people can experience "Postpartum Depression" after a miscarriage. Very sad for this woman, she has had a lot of problems.
Yes but it seems she isn't addressing her problems unless she is receiving some counseling we are unaware of. Post partum is a medical term reserved for moms after giving birth . After miscarriage she is experiencing Depression. Same difference just improper use of terminology.

"I don’t think jail is the right answer," Ellenson said.
He referred to certain stressors Taylor experienced leading up to the shooting.
"She had a very severe miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy miscarriage," Ellenson said
"We're looking forward to working collaboratively with the Commonwealth’s Attorney's Office to resolve the charges," Ellenson said, adding that he is hoping for “something that is fair, something that is just."
He also said the 6-year-old boy's mother, grandfather, and father accompanied him in the classroom during the school year, but it stopped after Christmas break.
The decision-makers at Richneck Elementary decided it was OK for the child to attend class without either the mom or the grandfather, and on occasion the father," Ellenson said.
Ellenson on Friday also gave an update on the status of the 6-year-old, saying he hasn't returned home since the shooting, but the family hoped to get him to live with his grandfather.
A decision has been delayed, though.

Trigger Lock. Deja Taylor's Gun?

1. Atty said: the gun "had a trigger lock."
Q: When last handling the firearm, did Deja Taylor PUT the trigger lock IN PLACE?
Q. Who, if anyone in addition to DT, know the COMBINATION to the lock? Or knew where she kept the KEY? (leaving it in the lock, maybe?)

2. Also said "the mother BELIEVED her gun... had a trigger lock."
If not sloppy wording on atty's part, seems imo an even weaker stmt than the first. If she had been in the HABIT of putting the trigger lock in place, or if she had done it even ONCE, she would KNOW, not just believe, the gun had a trigger lock.

imo

2. Also from Ap. 13
"Ellenson has said the mother believed her gun, which was legally purchased, was secured on a top shelf in her closet and had a trigger lock."

Last edited:
Trigger locks. Generally.

"Trigger locks prevent trigger manipulation, however they do not guarantee that the firearm absolutely cannot be discharged..."

Children?
" ... critics point to demonstrations that some models can be removed by children with very little force and common household tools..."

This was new to me.
"Trigger locks are not designed for use on loaded firearms as the locking mechanism itself may be able manipulate the trigger if pressure is exerted on the lock or during installation/removal; critics argue that this may make the firearm more dangerous by creating the illusion of safety.[25]."
See more at wiki & at links in footnotes there.
BTW: This little image is a cable lock, not trigger lock.
* "Generally, two pieces come together from either side behind the trigger and are locked in place, which can be unlocked with a key or combination. This physically prevents the trigger from being depressed to discharge the weapon.[22]..."

Trigger locks have a ratchet mechanism & shackle, like a padlock, and may work w a combination or a key. Examples:

Documentation of Change in Terms?
... He also said the 6-year-old boy's mother, grandfather, and father accompanied him in the classroom during the school year, but it stopped after Christmas break.
The decision-makers at Richneck Elementary decided it was OK for the child to attend class without either the mom or the grandfather, and on occasion the father," Ellenson said.
snipped for focus @Simply Southern Thanks for quote & link.

First stmt ^ "mother, grandfather, and father accompanied."
If/when deleting req'mt for "mom or grandfather," what does "on occasion the father" mean?

Anyone curious to see evd of the ^ bolded? DOCUMENTATION, issued/signed by appropriate personnel at school? I am.
imo

I think that wording is important, it HAD a trigger lock doesnt mean the lock was on. Big difference.

Also, not sure how this fits in for character, but if DNT overslept because of sleeping pills, what is to say that she has done similar with the child at home and, say, forgot to put trigger lock on, or left gun out or the like?
Imho

Trigger Lock. Deja Taylor's Gun?

1. Atty said: the gun "had a trigger lock."
Q: When last handling the firearm, did Deja Taylor PUT the trigger lock IN PLACE?
Q. Who, if anyone in addition to DT, know the COMBINATION to the lock? Or knew where she kept the KEY? (leaving it in the lock, maybe?)

2. Also said "the mother BELIEVED her gun... had a trigger lock."
If not sloppy wording on atty's part, seems imo an even weaker stmt than the first. If she had been in the HABIT of putting the trigger lock in place, or if she had done it even ONCE, she would KNOW, not just believe, the gun had a trigger lock.

imo

2. Also from Ap. 13
"Ellenson has said the mother believed her gun, which was legally purchased, was secured on a top shelf in her closet and had a trigger lock."

Stored Gun or Used Gun?
When was the last time she had seen the gun? A gun isn’t something most women use weekly.
Why did she have the gun? Protection? A gun with a trigger lock on a top shelf unloaded in a closet is not available for protection.

Guns for Protection…
A gun for protection must be loaded, and within quick reach- such as in a safe with fingerprint lock under the edge of the bed. Problem is, those safes cost $100 or more.

Six Year Olds are Capable
It could be that the boy found the gun. If the key to the trigger lock is nearby, he could have taken it off. If the bullets are nearby and it is a revolver- he could have figured out how to load it.

Curious or Angry?
The thinking involved in planning to get the gun and take it to school, then carrying out that plan is possible for a six year old, but the intent to cause deadly harm is not.
I’m not sure a six year old understands death as permanent. Was he curious, or angry, was his intent to hurt or to see what would happen?

Last edited:
Stored Gun or Used Gun?
When was the last time she had seen the gun? A gun isn’t something most women use weekly.
Why did she have the gun? Protection? A gun with a trigger lock on a top shelf unloaded in a closet is not available for protection.

Guns for Protection…
A gun for protection must be loaded, and within quick reach- such as in a safe with fingerprint lock under the edge of the bed. Problem is, those safes cost $100 or more.

Six Year Olds are Capable
It could be that the boy found the gun. If the key to the trigger lock is nearby, he could have taken it off. If the bullets are nearby and it is a revolver- he could have figured out how to load it.

Curious or Angry?
The thinking involved in planning to get the gun and take it to school, then carrying out that plan is possible for a six year old, but the intent to cause deadly harm is not.
I’m not sure a six year old understands death as permanent. Was he curious, or angry, was his intent to hurt or to see what would happen?

In regards to “curious or angry”—I would love to know that too. It sounds like he was constantly testing limits and getting away with every atrocious behavior he exhibited at school.

I am relieved to hear he has not been sent back to his previous living situation— if he ever is I hope he will be closely monitored and that the whole family receives counseling.

That AVP who likely thought she was “protecting” him, did him absolutely no favors. She was a huge part of the problem. SMH, IMO.

In regards to “curious or angry”—I would love to know that too. It sounds like he was constantly testing limits and getting away with every atrocious behavior he exhibited at school.

I am relieved to hear he has not been sent back to his previous living situation— if he ever is I hope he will be closely monitored and that the whole family receives counseling.

That AVP who likely thought she was “protecting” him, did him absolutely no favors. She was a huge part of the problem. SMH, IMO.

In my experience most 6 yr olds believe in Santa, the Easter bunny, and tooth fairy, their imaginary wishful life is just as real as the physical world.
Whatever his motive was- he kept that state of mind long enough to plan it out and carry it out. To me that fact is a bit mind boggling, six year olds don’t make their own lunch, they forget their jacket, may end up in the car on the way to school without shoes.
How did this six year old know what to do? What show did he watch? What YouTube? What adult or teen was he around?
JMO

I think that wording is important, it HAD a trigger lock doesnt mean the lock was on. Big difference.

Also, not sure how this fits in for character, but if DNT overslept because of sleeping pills, what is to say that she has done similar with the child at home and, say, forgot to put trigger lock on, or left gun out or the like?
Imho

That attorney better choose his words very wisely.
These two do not go together…
- trigger lock
- loaded gun
Read the paperwork with trigger locks, you don’t put one on a loaded gun.

Safe Gun Storage
To actually store a gun safely ALL four of these must be met. Safely defined as can’t be found and used by a child…
- unloaded
- trigger lock
- ammo separated from gun
- key or combination to trigger lock separated from gun

The proof is in the result…a six year old got this gun with ammo and took it to school. It could NOT have been stored safely.

FYI

Last edited:
I gotta "love" that "school administrators decided it was okay for John Doe to attend class without his parents". Yeah, people who were no where near the classroom all day.
Seems like they would be on alert, returning from suspension. I mean he busted her phone, two days before.

I happy to hear he was not returned to the home. I'm wondering if CPS was involved before the shooting?

From the article: "Her attorney, James Ellenson, said his client wants to reach a plea agreement with prosecutors and hopes they will consider what he called “mitigating circumstances.” He cited a number of miscarriages the woman had, including one following an ectopic pregnancy that resulted in a hospital stay in January 2022. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when a pregnancy develops outside the uterus, often in a fallopian tube. Ellenson said the miscarriages resulted in post-partum depression."

So post-partum depression and multiple miscarriages are the mitigating circumstances for allowing a loaded weapon to be in reach of a child?

I'd love to know WHEN the gun was purchased and WHY.
Self-defense?
or was she contemplating suicide at one point?

Pondering priorities here. JMHO and all that.

When I delivered a little Laughing with a physically handicapping condition, Mr. Laughing & I knew to put off plans for another little Laughing for a while to concentrate on the needs at hand.

Once things stabilized, indeed thanking God for the Shriners, we could re-assess.

And this was after a miscarriage, btw.

Knows her child has an "acute disability" yet tries for more? Repeatedly?

I will not in any way limit her reproductive rights, but as a mother I wanted to be sure that my child has what that individual child needs -- and I still do!

Yes, post-partum depression is real -- as so is the stress & sometimes resulting depression in mothers of children with disabilities.

Has anyone noticed anything about the child's father yet? A Mr. Taylor?

Just pondering...just my humble opinion....et cetera

I notice he isn't being charged with NEGLECT yet he lives there also. Why isn't he held to some part of the responsibility of raising this child?
Why is his ID hidden/protected?
I'd like to see charges for BOTH parents. If she was struggling he needed to STEP up to the plate and help. No free pass because he is a man.

Seems like they would be on alert, returning from suspension. I mean he busted her phone, two days before.

I happy to hear he was not returned to the home. I'm wondering if CPS was involved before the shooting?

I wonder if the child has some sort of issue that is undiagnosed?
Some issues would be apparent by now in Jan of 1st grade- autism.
Others take longer to figure out, and a young teacher may not have the experience to know the signs.
It appears there had been enough issues for the child to be flagged as difficult.
Why was he difficult?
Kids at 6 aren’t difficult without reason.
They are not ‘evil’ or acting with forethought and malice against others.

They may be manipulative- but they learn to be that way.
They do what works.

I am terribly curious to find out what was going on in his little mind. Likely, and probably good for him that we will never be told.

JMO

It shows she isn't making wise decisions, if you have a 6-year-old with severe issues and is VIOLENT you should NOT even think about having a new baby around that child! The parents have proven to not be able to make solid decisions.
I'd like to know how owning a gun around a violent child even makes any sense!
Was she threatened? An attempted break-in recently? What triggered the gun purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57