VA - Car caught on video driving off of fishing pier into the water - Jan. 27, 2024

What in the world?
Running from someone? Inebriated or drug-addled? Suicide?
Dunno what to think. Does he or she have relatives or friends nearby? SMH.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
News Report - -
Posted at 11:54 AM, Jan 28, 2024
and last updated 2:47 PM, Jan 28, 2024

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Police told News 3 Sunday that they had a plan in place to retrieve the car that drove into the ocean from the end of the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier.
However, they had to call the recovery off, citing rough waters.
Virginia Beach officer Jude Brenya spoke with News 3 and said that they needed to establish another plan to get the car out of the water.
- - - - - - - - - - -
More here:
Source:
Police not able to retrieve car that drove into ocean from end of VB Fishing Pier citing rough waters

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Top stories from several news reports:
- - - - -
Car drives off Virginia Beach Fishing Pier

Source:

I was expecting to see a slow ride down the pier. The car appeared to be driving rather fast. Surely police will be able to obtain some type of video from nearby businesses to help identify the type of car an possible tags
A family is missing a loved one or two tonight

This video left me stunned and then sad.
So many social media comments speculating that the driver must have had hesitation because the brake lights kept coming on, but my other half suggested that there was a struggle going on in that car, as in a passenger that may have been going on the ride against their will. That gave me chills.

So many social media comments speculating that the driver must have had hesitation because the brake lights kept coming on, but my other half suggested that there was a struggle going on in that car, as in a passenger that may have been going on the ride against their will. That gave me chills.
There are posts along the pier. It could, and most likely, was the car passing those posts making it appear as if the driver was breaking. There is a delay in retrieving the vehicle because of the condition of the water. I feel so bad for the person that decided to take their life. Someone knows who this person was. Someone is missing a family member. I've seen speculation as to who it was online. It would make sense if they're correct. I have to go to the beach for the Polar Plunge this weekend. It's not far from the pier. After losing my dad to suicide I know it's going to be on my mind even more so being so close.

Both of these things could be true, but someone also told me a rumor that the car was braking to avoid hitting seagulls. Probably nobody will ever know. Incidentally the girls who filmed the video are students at the school where I work and the owner of the pier restaurant is a friend of mine. Small world.

I’m sure the police know exactly what happened but can’t confirm.

One occupant was inside the vehicle and appeared to be an adult male, according to Virginia Beach police spokesperson Jody Saunders.

At around 9:20 a.m. a crane barge swiftly lifted a red Nissan Kicks in an upside down position out of the water and onto the vessel. Workers then covered it with a tarp while onlookers watched from the Boardwalk.

[...]

Saunders said the vehicle had shifted to the northwest, “out and around the pier.” It was located using sonar, she said. The SUV had no license plate in the front and the spot on the rear of the car where a license plate would be located was no longer attached to the vehicle, she said.

I find this a bit strange:
I mean, if it's clear the person took their own life (which in this case it very much is) there's really no reason to release their identity. Especially when there's video on the internet of their death, or at least the seconds leading up to it. Perhaps the family doesn't want the person to only ever be remembered by their very public suicide. Or they feel it might bring some shame/humiliation to their family- they shouldn't feel that way, to be clear, but I would understand if they did. There is still a huge stigma around mental health issues, unfortunately.

I mean, if it's clear the person took their own life (which in this case it very much is) there's really no reason to release their identity. Especially when there's video on the internet of their death, or at least the seconds leading up to it. Perhaps the family doesn't want the person to only ever be remembered by their very public suicide. Or they feel it might bring some shame/humiliation to their family- they shouldn't feel that way, to be clear, but I would understand if they did. There is still a huge stigma around mental health issues, unfortunately.
I get that, but it will probably eventually come out one way or another. It could be helpful to others to understand what went wrong. To encourage others to reach out for help. Unfortunately sometime people reach out for help and no one is there, or the people around them don't know what to do to help. Sometimes it's a spontaneous act after something painful happened. It's incredibly sad either way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back