VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

@Simply Southern - I tried this morning to get into the Pittsylvania County court site - and it is not letting me in - how about you? Any new court dates?

TIA! :)

@Simply Southern - I tried this morning to get into the Pittsylvania County court site - and it is not letting me in - how about you? Any new court dates?

I've tried for several days unsuccessfully. Not sure what's up with the site.
Not a word in the local news.

Last edited:
Thought I had an updated article, but it turned out to be from 2019.

@Simply Southern - I have you down as a "go to" person in my notes. Any updates on this case?

This article below says he's been ruled incompetent at least four times and ordered to undergo treatment to restore competency.
This reminds me of the case of Beau Bruneau in Florida, accused of the grotesque killing of his mother. I believe it was 12 years before he finally came to trial and was found not guilty by reason of insanity. There were several hundred hearings and tons of taxpayer money spent.

Matthew Bernard ordered, again, to receive treatment for incompetency

This article below says he's been ruled incompetent at least four times and ordered to undergo treatment to restore competency.
This reminds me of the case of Beau Bruneau in Florida, accused of the grotesque killing of his mother. I believe it was 12 years before he finally came to trial and was found not guilty by reason of insanity. There were several hundred hearings and tons of taxpayer money spent.

@Niner

I did not find anything on the VA court site.

Thanks, @JoeFromLB

Is this article from 2019 - or current 2024? I can not access it here - blocked by EU. TIA!

@Niner I do not see he was ever charged for murder and the others nolle prosequi.
Moo... In Virginia it is extremely hard, near impossible to place an individual, in a long term mental health facility, with any type of assault or criminal charges. All mental health commitment hearings are not public record and sealed.

Virginia closed and downsized all of our state owned mental health facilities, starting in the late 70s. Private facilities, absolutely will not except patience with assault charges. State law prevents admission to nursing homes (long-term care facilities) and Assisted Living, for those is criminal assault charges. Privately owned long-term mental health facilities, have waiting list years long.

State law requires, a police background check prior to all admissions. Availability for long-term mental health residential care is at a crisis point.

Not processing the charges, will afford Mathew an opportunity for replacement in a private facility, hopefully close to home where family can visit.

Moo... I don't think that Matthew will be released to the community.
I hope you can read the screenshot

Screenshot_20240508-090014.pngScreenshot_20240508-085838.png

@Niner
I apologize for the delayed information. I've been checking General district Court, looking for the murder charges.

They charges were filed in circuit Court.

Thank you for that info @Simply Southern - BUT! :D
In my notes I have this - and unfortunately no case # in Pittssylvania County. This is from my last post here - I will go back into the thread - and see what I can come up with - that changed these murder charges to null.

Wednesday, September 15th [2021]:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Denise Jefferson Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19/now 20) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) & arraigned (9/12/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. No plea entered. Held with bond. On suicide watch. Pittsylvania County Circuit Court
Court info from 8/28/19 thru 10/29/20 reference post #318 here:
https://www33.websleuths.com/forums...ia-murdered-26-aug-2019-arrest.470300/page-16
3/31/21 Update: Hearing has been delayed. Still receiving treatment. Next preliminary hearing on 9/15/21.

and at this time ^^ he was committed for treatment.

@Niner
I apologize for the delayed information. I've been checking General district Court, looking for the murder charges.

They charges were filed in circuit Court.

Ah - just saw this after I posted mine. Okay - I shall wait & see what you come up with. Thanks!

No apology is necessary! I know not everyone checks in every day like I do! LOL! :) and I DO appreciated your help on this one!
I am so grateful for your diligence in keeping up with so many threads court dates. You are amazing. I love when I see that you're on a thread I follow.

Have a great day.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weary