VA VA - Darren Hillis, 14, Norfolk, 12 March 1973

I cannot think of Dean Corll as a viable suspect without a proof placing him in that area. I know the photograph is heartbreaking, but it's extremely difficult to identify that poor boy.
I'm surprised of Darren's height and weight (6' 4" and 150 lbs), I mean, incredible height for a 14-year-old and yet very light. It's hard to imagine a scenario where he could have felt threatened and controlled (unless there were many attakers or they were carrying a weapon).
I think we are taking for granted a situation which is far from been a fact: we are are assuming Darren met foul play, and LE do not suspect such a thing (publicly), so... what if he perish because of an accident? May he have fallen anywhere or being the victim of a hit-and-run?
Last thing we know is Darren walked to the bus stop, but it's not clear he ever get on the bus. Did he miss the bus? What would he have done? Would he have walked or asked for a ride? How was the area between the bus stop and the high school?

Darren Hillis would have turned 64 today. Instead, it's the 50th anniversary of his last birthday.

I was studying his school portrait, and a photo of him featured in the newsclip "Bringing attention to a 45 year old cold case" at time 1:42, and comparing them to the boy in the polaroid. When you compare his hairline in the school portrait (where he's wearing a red shirt) to the boy's hairline in the polaroid it appears to be the same. Also, note the seemingly blondish appearance of the hair on the left side in both photos, perhaps a reaction to the light. Comparing the picture of Darren (with his brother and dog) timed around 1:42 in the news clip with the polaroid, note the similarity not only of the eyes but of the right cheek, mouth and chin. I'm about 99% sure the boy in the polaroid is Darren Hillis.

Also, the Wikipedia article about Dean Corll states in the second to last paragraph under "possible additional victims" that in March of 1973, three men (two of whom were identified as Corll and Henley) were observed burying a "long, wrapped bundle" on Galveston Beach. Given his height was 6 ft. 4 in. and he disappeared in March of 1973, it's possible if not downright likely that it was Darren Hillis they were burying.

Corll moved into his father's house at 2020 Lamar Drive in Pasadena on March 7, 1973. Darren disappeared on March 12. If he was in fact abducted by Corll and brought to Texas, Darren could have been the first victim to die at the Lamar Drive residence (which, as of this writing, was demolished 2 weeks ago).

In any case, Darren Bruce Hillis celebrated his 14th birthday 50 years ago today and vanished almost a week later. I wish him and his family much love and respect.

And to the boy in the polaroid and his family, Hillis or not, much love and respect as well.

Last edited:
Just added to NamUs. Looks like a pretty good match. Possibly a skip school day to go swimming.

Age 16-25. Estimated PMI 3 days.
Age, height and weight all off.

Seems like the match would have been made since both UP and MP located in Norfolk.

Red trousers with white pin stripes
Olive drab fur-lined zipper jacket (heavy)
Swimming trunks found in the pocket of the jacket.

Just added to NamUs. Looks like a pretty good match. Possibly a skip school day to go swimming.

Seems like the match would have been made since both UP and MP located in Norfolk.

Oh God! I think it's definitely him

Darren was reported to be wearing the following. The pants and jacket match.

Green Army jacket
Red bell bottom pants with white stripes going down the leg
Black and red striped shirt

Submitted for review.
Thank you, watching for updates. Although if this wasn't considered by LE at the time then that is insane!

I don't see the Dean Corll link here. It doesn't seem to fit him at all, and I also can't really see the similarities to the photo (but that's just me).

I'm a great one for believing local rumours and opinions. From the few small things out there and posted years ago in the thread it sounds like most people believe he left of his own accord. They must have had a reason to come to this conclusion. Perhaps home life was difficult. A 6 foot 4 14 year old...there can't be many John Does with those measurements!

CLEARLY, the most likely to be Darren. Nice find! I will be shocked as well, if they didn't already rule this one out.

I've also submitted the two cases mentioned earlier in this post. What they didn't see, was the newer 2023 facial reconstruction. Looks like him to me.

TX - TX - Unidentified victims of Dean Corll, Houston Serial Killer, 1970-1973

darren-hillis.jpg

Last edited:

Darren was reported to be wearing the following. The pants and jacket match.

Green Army jacket
Red bell bottom pants with white stripes going down the leg
Black and red striped shirt
Has to be him. The newspaper article says that the unidentified had a "navy foul weather jacket" which could also be described as what the missing was wearing: "Green Army jacket." And, the article has the weight at 170 lbs. How in the world?...

Article:
https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/120189/Documents/21722

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fortypoundcat
Back