VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
The star tattoo this kid had is a juvenile long term rehab marker. Not a prison tattoo by all means. All kids in the 90's that were in long term rehab tattoo marked themselves. Not your 30 day kids, but 12 month kids. This was common, protocol for newbies, usually by an electric razor modified into a tattoo gun and broken pen ink. This kid was in rehab at one point in his life.

From phish message board

I played around with the pictures in Photoshop to see. I worry that it will only lead to confirmation bias, as in order to make this picture you have to literally change parts of one picture to fit another, but I totally understand the curiosity and wanted to see it too.

THANKS!!!!!

The eyes yet. In the sketch they got the eyes right. But that hair really makes a big difference. Would that have solved this mystery sooner (I know it's not over yet). I'm not putting the people that do this reconstruction work down, I don't know the first thing about their job. Biggest thing though was his natural color was not red. What if they would show the reconstruction with a variety of hair styles? His hair was apparently much longer at the time of his death then it was a few months earlier.

GDFamily

It's him

Quote Originally Posted by j123 View Post
I played around with the pictures in Photoshop to see. I worry that it will only lead to confirmation bias, as in order to make this picture you have to literally change parts of one picture to fit another, but I totally understand the curiosity and wanted to see it too.

Please don't post this image anywhere else; there's nothing scientific about my image editing, and I don't want it coloring anyone's opinions about who Grateful Doe is.
Name: j h.jpg Views: 40 Size: 74.9 KB

It's him 100%

Do you think that if the reconstruction was done that way it would have clicked? Apparently his hair at the time of the accident was longer and maybe red.

The problem is you tend to focus almost exclusively on the long, wavy, red hair. It's very uncommon so you look at that picture and think "I don't know anyone that has hair like that." Done. How many people would bother to study the other facial features? And even if they did could they make the connection?

Could a head injury have changed his hair color?

I started following this about 10 years after it happened; for the first several years, people had to be constantly reminded that his hair was not naturally red and that it had some sort of temporary dye in it.

There have been lots of problems in reporting, primarily from the media. "Unrestored teeth" became "naturally perfect teeth," "note found at the scene" became "note found in his possession" or "note found in his pocket" are the two biggest ones. Then there was the neighbour who claimed, a year or so after the fact, that he had seen the boys together at Mr. Hager's house, the detective who was interviewed by either HuPo or a poster on this board said that was not the case.

I would have sworn that at one point there was a report that the two had been seen stopping for drinks (sodas) somewhere, but have never been able to find that report again - either I have it confused with another case or I dreamed it up whole-cloth.

Off-topic - have any of you nerdy people like me ever looked back and thought "Man, I made a mistake with this. I should have followed a few shows with my friends and drunk in the experience"? I'm almost 50 now and my body won't let me do some things I would like to do; I regret not doing these things when I was young, beautiful, fit, and lacking any sort of expectations. I guess it takes all types, but I wish I had been *that* type instead.

Lots of kids in those yrs used satanic star tats, and n no was does it signify a rehab stay. Disagree fully on that. Then again great wrk everyone...on trying so hard to id him as we all Hv tried for so many yrs...

Is there any way we can have a seperate thread set up for this information? I don't want to get too excited yet, but it could lead us somewhere. What do you think?

I shared GD's image again on Imgur. This time, it was seen 337,449 times (and counting), was liked by 5,553 people (and counting), and 600+ comments (some of which, are negative, but most are positive. I have had so many people ask questions, or show interest in the plight of GD).

I monitored every single comment to see what was being said. My heart jumped into my throat when I saw someone posting that the sketches look familiar to a guy he knew. Here is our conversation (which I had permission to post) I have edited names to protect privacy. Any notes I make are initialed with GM:

"Hi. Yes, I think I knew him. The sketches look like a kid I lived with for a few months back in 1994 into 1995.

It was Fall Semester 1994 at University Of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. It was the beginning of my senior year and I was planning to live with two other guys in a two bedroom house just off campus. M & G. M was a couple years older than me and I knew him from a poetry class we had shared the year before. G was a younger guy who M knew from his church group. Anyway, when I arrived in town to move in to the house, it turned out that G had invited an even younger kid he'd met that summer to live with us. It was already going to be tight fit with the three of us in that tiny house. But M & I agreed to let him stay. His name was Jason and he was a laid back surfer dude from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I think that's where G met him. G & Jason lived in one bedroom. I was in the second bedroom and Mark lived in the unfinished basement.

M and I were both attending classes at U of I and G may have been enrolled at a community college. I can't remember. Jason just hung out really. Even though the kid was probably only 17 or 18, he was a major Dead Head. I loved 60s music in a big way but had no interest in the Dead. M on the other hand was a big fan of the Dead and had plenty of conversations with Jason about their shared love of the band. I remember having long discussions with Jason about Atheism and about experiences with hallucinogens. Jason believed he could talk to trees. Not that all that unusual really. Jason did get a job at some point. He was working at a McDonalds near our house. I believe it was the one at *edited out for privacy* (maybe I can PM this address to someone in this area; They can call and confirm if there has ever been as Jason employed there? If it still exists!). He ended up getting involved romantically with a female manager there who was in her 30s or 40s. I can't remember if I ever met her. Then he disappeared. I don't remember exactly when or what the circumstances were. It seems like it was in mid to late winter, so maybe Feb 1995. It could have been Spring. I can't remember.

What I do remember is that when the next phone bill arrived, the three of us were shocked to find Jason had racked up hundreds of dollars in charges to a 1-900 line for Dead Heads. It's funny now but we were pissed off at the time. Unfortunately I have no photos of Jason. G might though. I have my doubts. But G was the one who met him and brought him to live with us. They spent a lot of time together so he should be able to fill in more of the blanks. I friended him on FB but he hasn't responded yet to the message I sent. (GM: 1900 line would have been 1900-RUN-DEAD as per: https://archive.org/post/98595/anyone-remember-900-run-dead. A line for fans to call and be provided with information about setlists of concerts.)

Jason had a slight build and his hair looked sun bleached like he spent plenty of time at the beach. Reminded me of Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times At Ridgemont High." His eyes were always slightly closed. He was baked a lot I think.

I got a brief message from G this AM. He remembers Jason. I asked him to tell me Jason's last name and see if he has any photos of him.

I can't promise our Jason is your GD, but I have a strong feeling from the sketches and the descriptions that it is.

He was a lost hippie kid. We took him under our wings. M & I were older and both had an affection for Jason. I can't say exactly what G's relationship was to Jason.

It didn't jump out at me at first. But then I remembered our Hippie kid was named Jason and I looked closer at those sketches... That nose, those eyes.

The newer computer image doesn't look like him. They made him look too conventional/mainstream/awake.

He talked like a soft-spoken surfer dude, although I think he could get quite animated.

My sister says he had hair like Kurt Cobain.

No recollection of Jason speaking about his family.

He worked at McDonalds. Probably for enough dough to make rent and get high.

I think he shroomed. (I asked if he was just a pot smoker)

It's hard to believe someone could die in a car accident and absolutely no one who knew him would know.

But, from what I remember of jason, it's not that hard to fathom.
He very well could have been hitching a ride.

While I'm waiting to hear from G for details, you might try searching Myrtle Beach area high school yearbooks from the early 90s. He may be in there."

There you have it folks. I will continue to update as soon as I get information (no sleep tonight for me!)

BBM: Wonder if we can appeal to and McDonald's Managers in 1995 in Myrtle Beach? The 30-40 year old female manager would likely be on record at the Mcdonald's far more than our GD.

BBM: Wonder if we can appeal to and McDonald's Managers in 1995 in Myrtle Beach? The 30-40 year old female manager would likely be on record at the Mcdonald's far more than our GD.

wondergirl i think the mcdonalds in question was in champaign , not myrtle beach

That's correct, Jason worked at an off-campus McDonalds a few blocks from his house in Champaign between about September 1994 and February 1995.

That's correct, Jason worked at an off-campus McDonalds a few blocks from his house in Champaign between about September 1994 and February 1995.
Plunder - do you think Jason is the GD? Are there any suggestions you have of where to look to try to determine his identity?

Wondergirl: I feel very confident that Jason is a match. He lived in Champaign between about Aug/Sep 1994 and approximately Feb 1995. At that time he departed to parts unknown. Several people have come forward to verify his presence there in Champaign, including the three guys he lived with and several of their friends & relatives. But none of them remember his last name. It was 20 years ago and his presence there was casual. He was not on the lease.
Therefore, I think it makes sense to shift focus back to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. He was living there before he left to live in Champaign. We need to get the 1994 images of Jason to the eyes of as many Myrtle Beach folks as we possibly can. We need someone who lived in Myrtle Beach in the Summer of 1994 to see his pic and say "A-ha! I remember him and Yes, I remember his full name!" Once that happens we get alot closer to solving this Cold Case.

I also suggested to greymetal that going beyond the internet would be useful. Someone who is really passionate about this case who lives in the MB area could print out some high quality fliers with Jason's 1994 pix and get them out to head shops, Food Co-Ops and other alternative establishments. Get his image out to folks who hate the internet!

Jason was a gregarious guy and was not shy. There are plenty of folks out there who crossed paths with him and have no idea we are looking for him. I'm sure of it. And Myrtle Beach is the area where those people would be most concentrated.

Have to wonder if someone ripped him off after the concert. Its the only explanation

Not necessarily.
He could have been hitching from concert to concert, when you're out on "lot" ( parking lot) you leave your pack in car. Maybe he never came back to car, maybe drivers left show early, maybe he trAded his back pack for an orange, maybe he lost it, maybe he was having a lad meltdown and got rid of his pack bc he thought aliens were following him.

If I rembrr correctly he was in a "newish" shirt, possibly got it on lot, maybe after he found out his pack was gone? Wearing a brand new tie dye to a show was considered "custie" aka customer, meaning non GD Family.

Just thoughts

I live in Myrtle Beach and I would be glad to help in any way possible... I've already shared the post from imgur.com on my Facebook page... am I correct in estimating he would be about 36 if he were alive today?

I live in Myrtle Beach and I would be glad to help in any way possible... I've already shared the post from imgur.com on my Facebook page... am I correct in estimating he would be about 36 if he were alive today?
Hey J, I think we shared some sleuthing ideas on Amber Berbiglia's thread here.

I think Plunders ideas upthread are bang on. Need some hard flyers in Myrtle Beach places he suggested would be a great start.

We need to contact the Myrtle Beach media. This needs to go beyond internet now, ITA. It has been great, but, I think we can agree that there is a very strong possibility that Jay/Jason is our GD, and we need that picture out there.

If nobody here comes forward with contacts by tomorrow, I will contact Myrtle Beach news directly to see if we can generate some legs on this find.

There is a tip for a Jason from St.James Middle School in Myrtle Beach in 1992. He had failed a grade and then did not go back to that school. Fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kch52285