VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like Jay in the photos is either wearing a skirt or very large harem pants. If he's wearing a skirt, that's something a lot of people would probably remember about a person they saw around town, worked with, hung out with in the scene, etc. Even now guys in skirts at festivals are pretty noticeable to me. My boyfriend wears one sometimes and everyone points it out and remembers him for it. It could be an identifier for Jay. Just a thought!

I asked Buzzfeed to highlight the community posting on their home page, but no reply yet. I think it needs to be shared a lot, and get lots of votes and likes on the page in order to get their attention, really.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lrutley/interwebs-now-closer-to-solving-a-20-year-old-cold-x024

Also, I contacted the HuffPo article writer over twitter. No response yet.

For things to go viral you must not stop the activity - liking and commenting and sharing. :)

Ok. I thought the driver survived. Dangit! Thanks for clarifying it for me. Yea, for some reason I thought that someone said that Eric's gf also wore patterend skirts. And the funny thing is; I have a skirt around here somewhere similar to "Jay in the picture." Sadly, I bought mine about 8 years ago from wal-mart. I know that the "skirt/pants" may not be an identifier for "Jay in the picture" and/or GDF; but I wonder if that was just an alternative choice on his part, or maybe his sexuality could be an identifier? Heck, you never know..maybe he decided to wear a skirt because his underwear were in the wash, and he just wanted to dry out his manparts. LOL JMO

I can just totally picture someone from Champaign being like "yeah I totally remember this guy with long hair who wore skirts all the time." It's the midwest, and a college town, so it's possible!
I wonder if he had a bank account, maybe at a bank near the home he shared with the 3 roommates? He needed somewhere to cash his paychecks from McDonalds...there's a chance someone at that bank could at least check into it, without giving any information to anyone directly. They could just be told to call the case manager if there's a record of a Jay or Jason with no account activity after 1995. I'm not sure if they close accounts like that automatically, or how that works though. Just a thought.
If someone in the Champaign area could hit some places Jay might have frequented around where he lived, it's possible that some of the employees might be the same. Like a manager of a gas station he could have bought cigs from every day. Etc.
Again, these are just thoughts!

Jbluesky;

Be sure to keep us updated with the local news and your post on Facebook! :D

So far between my personal post on my page and my post on Horry Classifieds, it has been shared by at least 60 people in the Myrtle Beach area. I don't know how to track if those posts have been shared as well by their friends (pyramid effect).

I've not heard an update yet for my friend who works at the news station (WPDE News Channel 15).

I was able to get a contact email for how I can get a yearbook from Saint James Middle School to follow up on that lead. I emailed her and am waiting on a reply.

The internet stuff I can mostly do during the week.... As far as going out physically and putting up flyers, visiting shops etc, I will mostly only be able to do these things on the weekends (work and child at home makes that part a little difficult during the week).

Is anybody working on a flyer/poster by any chance that I could print out and put up? I could try to mess around in my spare time, but I don't have spiffy software and would need input as far as what exactly to put on the poster. It's a hard case to break down to a few sentences and explain why we are asking if anybody remembers him from 20+ years ago.

I also found online resumes for people who worked at the Myrtle Beach McDonalds in 1995, but then realized Jay worked at the one in Champaign. Maybe scouring online resumes would turn up some people who worked at the Champaign McDonalds.

I found out that the contents of dormant bank accounts are turned over to the state. It'd be incredibly easy to write a letter to the proper department in IL that handles unclaimed property. They could look for a Jay or Jason, date the account was turned over, and give any matching records to the case manager. Could easily do the same for South Carolina. Do you guys think that's a good idea? I'd be willing to send letters out today if you do. Of course this is just IF he had a bank account, IF there was money in it, etc. But to me no effort is a waste of time.

I found out that the contents of dormant bank accounts are turned over to the state. It'd be incredibly easy to write a letter to the proper department in IL that handles unclaimed property. They could look for a Jay or Jason, date the account was turned over, and give any matching records to the case manager. Could easily do the same for South Carolina. Do you guys think that's a good idea? I'd be willing to send letters out today if you do. Of course this is just IF he had a bank account, IF there was money in it, etc. But to me no effort is a waste of time.

https://icash.illinois.gov/
Is the website to recover lost "property" for IL. KY has a similar one (I actually found some money that I didn't know about on there). All states probably do.

I have been reading but maybe I missed it, any ideas on the last name?

Yes, and the address to send letters about claims is on that website as well. They don't do email inquiries though so I'd have to write a letter.
Also, I wonder if there's a way to find out what happens to overdrawn bank accounts in case he was in the hole, and what entity the bank may have turned that over to as well? What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking the next step is unfortunately going to require something like a school or employer looking up records. If this was Jason, that means he left home as a CHILD and was never reported missing. I wouldn't be surprised if his last known family members have passed away long ago. While he could certainly be recognized by the photographs, people who knew him might not have much more to say than has already been said. He seems not to have remained in one place for very long, and even the people he lived with don't know a ton about him.

I'm dreading the possibility of coming this far only for his parents to be dead and the police not being able to fund the exhumation of their bodies to test DNA, or worse, that they've been cremated :(

I think this is a great idea. Anything that can potentially get results outside of someone recognizing him I think is worth pursuing.

The link isn't working (for me) :( I think it might not be linkable?

How do we navigate to the page in question?

darn it was just working. looks like the whole canada's missing page is down or something now. hang on i'll keep working at it.

The link is working now, assuming Cameron Gerald March is who you were trying to post

yeah, he's one of the only missing children on canada's missing list that fits the age and description of GDoe.

https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2012020114&id=0

https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2013000087&id=1

Then these 2. Those are the only 3 cases I can find on Canada's Missing that could be matches. It would explain why no one in the US reported him missing or claimed the remains.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if his family disowned him or kicked him out in his teens for his alleged psychedelic usage, alternative lifestyle, etc. and really just never cared enough to look for him. Maybe they just assumed he was following bands and living a life they didn't agree with or want to take part in. Especially if his pentagram tattoo is a sign of long term rehab like another user mentioned before. A mutual falling out from a family that just let him go. I really believe this theory more than any because he had to have a SSN to get a job at McDonald's, if GDoe is really Jay. That's why I think banks/unclaimed property records might be a good try. I'm going to start working on those letters.
Then there's the idea he was once in foster care (orphan or removed from family) and the foster family didn't report it in order to continue receiving checks which I read either on this thread or another GDoe thread. I wonder if any agencies in SC could be helpful in the case? Since Jay spoke of South Carolina to his past roommates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quioxte221