VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness how much a person can miss out on when RL doesn't allow to come and check in..... I'm speechless... so many emotions all at once

I totally forgot until now that one of my best friends from high school now works at NCMEC but it looks like that doesn't matter anyway BC the ball is rolling. Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For any of you who followed the Jason Reynolds/ Grateful Dead Doe rule out, you know that this is a complicated process from proposing the candidate and moving forward. The less definitive the information, the longer it takes. (Not just trying to restate the obvious fwiw.) Someone asked about juvenile records and the discussion was where they are kept. More often than not, I have found, in a case of this age and of this type the fingerprint records are on fingerprint cards. Juvenile records get expunged or are sealed and then frequently warehoused off site. Several of us worked on a Jane Doe juvenile case here where the family had come across her morgue photo on the www but there were no items left for a direct DNA comparison and the backlog of familial DNA would have taken a year or more to ID her. Family mentioned that she had a juvenile record and to this day I think about the stars aligning: The state bureau of investigation pulled some strings and pointed us to the jurisdiction who pulled the file which HADNT been destroyed and in it were her fingerprint cards. It was, if I recall correctly, 6 hours start to finish once her family became involved. She had been unidentified for 9 years at that point.

So if family is available in this case and if there are fingerprint cards or dental records available, it should go very quickly. If DNA needs to be processed, it may be a while.

In case you want a tidbit of what's going on, one of the other roommates and I are working up a couple leads.

We are trying to see if any phone records exist from the time Jason lived with us. It seems like a long-shot, but if such records exist from that landline, then we could check for calls made to South Carolina.

We are also following up on the church lead to see if Jason's full name [and possibly more details about his background] exist anywhere in their archives.

In case LE doesn't get somewhere with their investigations, maybe we can still come up with something.

In case you want a tidbit of what's going on, one of the other roommates and I are working up a couple leads.

We are trying to see if any phone records exist from the time Jason lived with us. It seems like a long-shot, but if such records exist from that landline, then we could check for calls made to South Carolina.

We are also following up on the church lead to see if Jason's full name [and possibly more details about his background] exist anywhere in their archives.

In case LE doesn't get somewhere with their investigations, maybe we can still come up with something.

He may have signed the church guest book, been mentioned in youth activity minutes, borrowed from the resource centre ...

Plunderphonica, what is the church lead?

The Church group [in the group photo with blurred faces] was involved in bringing Jason from Myrtle Beach to Champaign. It was fairly unusual for them to recruit someone in this way. Therefore, my thinking is they would have some record of his name somewhere in their archives. As musicaljoke suggested, Jason's full name could be in a newsletter, or a phone list, or notes from a ministering session or in a correspondence in their files.
And just in case anyone asks again, it's not prudent to release the name of the church group at this time. My old roommate has personal connections with the church people and he'll do better getting info than random people trying to call up.
I feel confident with the church lead. The phone lead, on the other hand, is gonna be more of a slog...

Does this mean you don't have a last name for Jason/Jay?

It would be very helpful to know if the publics assistance is still needed to determine Jason/Jay's identity.

That's correct, no one I'm in contact with has confirmed his last name. I certainly haven't been able to remember it yet.

I suggest that the best thing you can do is to keep spreading the 1994 photos of Jason around in the hope that someone who knows his full name & background will see the pix. It's just a matter of patience now.

I feel confident with the church lead. The phone lead, on the other hand, is gonna be more of a slog...

Do you have a copy of the old phone bill? Did any of you use the phone bill for income tax purposes and save a copy in with your tax stuff? What about a wall calendar ...an old phone book, anything that he might have doodled his name or a phone number onto while he was on the phone. Did you happen to write about him to your folks, grandma, or girlfriend, someone who may have kept your letters/emails?

That's correct, no one I'm in contact with has confirmed his last name. I certainly haven't been able to remember it yet.

I suggest that the best thing you can do is to keep spreading the 1994 photos of Jason around in the hope that someone who knows his full name & background will see the pix. It's just a matter of patience now.

Thank you so so much for all you are doing and for keeping us informed.

Musicaljoke, those are good ideas. I'm pestering my college sweetheart about that stuff now. She managed to find our phone number scribbled in the back of an Illinibook. She's gonna sift through my epic lover letters tomorrow to see if I ever mentioned Jason. I'm hoping she's able to find Jason in there before she inadvertently falls in love with me again...
I have journals but unfortunately they're 1000 miles away in storage.
If I possessed some random doodle by Jason, which I highly doubt, it too would be buried in storage far from my current location. Good brainstorming though.

Musicaljoke, those are good ideas. I'm pestering my college sweetheart about that stuff now. She managed to find our phone number scribbled in the back of an Illinibook. She's gonna sift through my epic lover letters tomorrow to see if I ever mentioned Jason. I'm hoping she's able to find Jason in there before she inadvertently falls in love with me again...
If I possessed some random doodle by Jason, which I highly doubt, it too would be buried in storage far from my current location. Good brainstorming though.
Finally some comic relief! [emoji7]

I have been lurking and following this case with interest, and I sincerely hope that Jason is identified soon.
Reading one of your posts about searching the surnames C.there is also a spelling variation of this surname, that is spelled C and also C.

I am not sure whether it helps or not, but I just thought that I would throw that out there

Yay! Thanks for the updates plunder. Good to know what has happened throughout the day! :)

P.s I can imagine the shock of your high school sweetheart "So.. you got anything that will help me with information on a 20 year old cold case...?"

I just checked my old hotmail account and it's got "sent" messages back to 1998 when I opened the account. Do you suppose someone who knew him has an email account with "sent" messages that go back even farther?

I just checked my old hotmail account and it's got "sent" messages back to 1998 when I opened the account. Do you suppose someone who knew him has an email account with "sent" messages that go back even farther?
Possibly. It's worth a shot. I was wondering about ICQ or My space, but, the rise of the use Myspace was a while after 1994. Old, old message boards would be worth a shot, the obvious angle being his Grateful Dead interest. Google hisorical searches might provide something.

The internet was really in it's infancy in 1995.

Did Jason/Jay have a NICKNAME?

Back in 95, AOL was in its heyday and many users had an aol email
account.
Also the Usenet message boards (forums) were very popular. Many of them are accessible to this day. One needs a 'newsreader' if I remember correctly. The format was something like reddit and the boards would have been titled something like rec.music.gdead. Maybe over the weekend I'll have a look as I cannot do it from here (work)

Working the "looking for a ride to the GD concert" may be an angle to explore.

Jason/Jay was on all those 1-900 numbers on the phone. If he was able to access a computer, it wouldn't be a stretch he was on those boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769