VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone....long time lurker, never thought I would actually post anything but here goes.....

Yesterday a pic was posted on the Grateful Doe Facebook page ...have you all seen this? To me, this picture is the closest to "Jason" I have ever seen. I know nothing of the circumstances of the photo, but....wow!

I am just curious what everyone else thinks of this?

I get that people like to theorize about crimes. I find it interesting. I have found interesting info about TT, Synanon, and all kinds of 'different' groups. What I never understand is why people push a link when none exists. Present it as a possibility, yes. But if there are no facts AT ALL to link it to that group, how does it help identify the UID? Doesn't it actually draw attention away from what known facts exist?

For example, I could claim UID was actually a Mormon, and give pages of evidence about what Mormons do, etc.,---- but if there is no factual link to them being Mormon, or Buddhist or anything, what is the point?

The mods are so strict on other forums, I don't get why they aren't on some of these lesser forums.

There is NO link proven to TT. The star tat is no link at all. There is no fact or proof that UID was travelling with the band or part of any group whatsoever.

Honestly, I think the best chance this case has in solving who the UID person is is to stop focussing on the GD angle and focus on the physical logistics/area, and on the physical attributes of the UID. In other words, 'Just the facts, Ma'am".

Just my thoughts.

Here are some of the known facts that lead to us following the Grateful Dead angle:

• Jason had 1 GD ticket stub in pocket for show at RFK Stadium for June 24, 1995
  • Jason had 1 GD ticket stub in pocket for show at RFK Stadium for June 25, 1995
  • Jason was a Grateful Dead tshirt from the 1995 summer tour
  • The driver of the van, Michael Eric Hager was also known to be a Grateful Dead Fan

Now, my reason to move onto research the Rainbow Family really had nothing to do with a star tattoo, it had to do with the fact that the Rainbow Family attended Grateful Dead Shows. I have read that they do like their Dead shows. Another reason to research out the possibility of Jason belonging to the Rainbow family is the fact that the Rainbow Family travels around (nothing more, nothing less). Being it has been so difficult to track down Jason's roots, maybe he moved around a lot??

April, I'm not seeing a link or anything to the picture?? You say it is on Jason Doe's Facebook Page?

Hello everyone....long time lurker, never thought I would actually post anything but here goes.....

Yesterday a pic was posted on the Grateful Doe Facebook page ...have you all seen this? To me, this picture is the closest to "Jason" I have ever seen. I know nothing of the circumstances of the photo, but....wow!

Attachments

• Side by side on facebook.jpg
    Side by side on facebook.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 90
Here is the facebook photo referred to I believe. This is Ronald William Frye missing since 1993 from Coupeville, WA.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

The facebook link is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grateful_Doe/168609286658?ref=ts

This missing young man has been discussed in this forum here:
Possible Match Ronald Wiliam Frye - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The heights are way off -- by 6 inches. The eyes are brown for both young men, but the hair color is wrong. Doe's hair was red -- it doesn't say it was dyed red.

I find it interesting that Mama2Cassidy feels this is a hoax. Actually, as much as I have been following this case through out the years, I would like to know if it were one (weirder things have happened).

Mama2Cassidy, can you claim to have first hand heard about this case prior to 1995 or have seen a handout with similar details prior to '95? It could have been a different case. I don't understand why GD fans would think this was a setup... to catch drug dealers? I'm not getting it, why not just set up a sting with an undercover? It doesn't make sence to me at all.

Dear Jason Doe AKA Grateful Dead Fan...
Wishing we had identified you by this time. We won't give up until we find the answer to the question "Who is Jason Doe"? and we can finally say "RIP" to your "real" name.:blue:

Wishing Jason Doe could be identified - 15 years is a long time. You need a name and need to go home to your family.

Based on the info that (M)EH, the driver, went to USC in Columbia, I'm going to guess that Jason Doe went to Carolina & bummed a ride based on a sticker on the van or gamecocks hat or something. I think the Carolines either were girls from USC, too, or from Queens College (now Univ) in Charlotte & recognized (M)EH either from hs or a college party.

I think it's highly possible that JDoe borrowed some clothes from (M)EH after hooking up to head back to school. A likely scenario to me, given my friends at that time in college who would head out for a long weekend of Dead shows, but were by no means "Dead Heads," would be something like this:

JDoe goes w/ group of ppl from college (USC?) not necessarily friends, but ppl he knows who connect via a "Ride Board." (Remember, we did not have the internet or cell phones, so ride boards were often how you got away for the weekend from college.) They intend to crash with friends of friends, hang out on their own at the shows, and meet back up at X time at Y location to head back to school. JDoe might be running late, so they all head back & figure he caught another ride without really thinking it was a big deal. Nobody was really friends in the first place, so nobody really thinks much of him not showing up or following up later. Things happen, no big deal. We did this all the time. You pay the driver a few dollars to let you ride along wherever. We always assumed it was safe b/c we "went to school together" even if we didn't know the ppl at all.

JMO, but seems pretty likely to me.

Interesting theory, I made the comment on the driver thread l a few days ago that perhaps Jason was wearing clothing that belonged to Michael Eric Hager.
IMO, it seems like a very possible scenario.

Thinking out loud here again, is it possible that the driver, Michael Eric Hager, had been to a Grateful Dead concert during the 1995 summer tour and bought the tshirt himself, the one that Jason was wearing? It is possible that Jason's clothing were so dirty and crusty, yucky and such from not changing for a few days that when Michael and Jason stopped at Michael's dad's home, Jason showered (perhaps that explains the hair dye being "smeared"/"smudged")Michael gave Jason a change of clothing and Jason just threw out the old ones in the trash. I really would like to know what Michael's physical description was.

Also if he were in college one could assume he had parents who would have looked for him...

GDFamily,
I agree, if he were in college, there should be parents looking for him.

I think Jason had on the GD shirt and that is how the connection started. Eric's step-father (I believe actually mom's boyfriend at the time) was a musician. That would imply Eric's mom was into music and probably Eric. I think Eric saw the GD shirt and struck up a conversation.

Jason may have missed a ride, but I don't think it was back to college.

• I do think there is a possibility that the clothing Jason was wearing could have been Michael's clothing.

[*]I don't believe that Jason was attending the same school as Michael.

[*]I believe there is a chance that Jason knew (probably not well) Michael prior to June 26, 1995.

• I don't think there had to be a special reason that Michael would pick Jason up. Meaning, I don't think he would have to be wearing a Grateful Dead T-Shirt in order to be picked up. People (especially young people) pick up hitch hikers all the time, even more so back in the 90's.

I've been lurking for a while now, too, and I am pretty sure I read on another thread here about a week ago that the person in that photo had been ruled out by DNA test.

Based on the info that (M)EH, the driver, went to USC in Columbia, I'm going to guess that Jason Doe went to Carolina & bummed a ride based on a sticker on the van or gamecocks hat or something. I think the Carolines either were girls from USC, too, or from Queens College (now Univ) in Charlotte & recognized (M)EH either from hs or a college party.

I think it's highly possible that JDoe borrowed some clothes from (M)EH after hooking up to head back to school. A likely scenario to me, given my friends at that time in college who would head out for a long weekend of Dead shows, but were by no means "Dead Heads," would be something like this:

JDoe goes w/ group of ppl from college (USC?) not necessarily friends, but ppl he knows who connect via a "Ride Board." (Remember, we did not have the internet or cell phones, so ride boards were often how you got away for the weekend from college.) They intend to crash with friends of friends, hang out on their own at the shows, and meet back up at X time at Y location to head back to school. JDoe might be running late, so they all head back & figure he caught another ride without really thinking it was a big deal. Nobody was really friends in the first place, so nobody really thinks much of him not showing up or following up later. Things happen, no big deal. We did this all the time. You pay the driver a few dollars to let you ride along wherever. We always assumed it was safe b/c we "went to school together" even if we didn't know the ppl at all.

JMO, but seems pretty likely to me.

I'm glad I came across this post, because I began thinking along these same lines after I saw a post with this note that Eric Hager went to USC. I also went to USC in Columbia just a few years later, and as a student you have a lot of acquaintances that your parents wouldn't be familiar with as your friends. Also, I question whether or not Caroline O. and Caroline T. would even remember knowing or meeting Jason, especially when I think back to college and all the people I've forgotten or have trouble putting names with faces of people I hung out with a good bit.
attachment.php

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=WVMgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U88EAAAAIBAJ&dq=eric%20hager&pg=1584%2C2833811

Also, I read this article today about how Lexington Medical Center here in Columbia, SC, is helping with an unsolved case and used a CT scan to create a more accurate depiction of an unidentified man's appearance. I've been following the Grateful Doe posts for a long time now, and I've always wondered if the artist rendering was just way off from what he actually looked like and is what is keeping him from being identified - especially since the sketch and the reconstruction look like two TOTALLY different people. I wish they could use this technology to create a new rendering of Jason...they could be using it to help identify a local, if he did in fact go to USC:

http://lexmed.tv/2010/07/28/lmc-technology-helps-crime-investigation/

One more thing that's been bothering me...what's with the discrepancy in the description of blue FILAs, but the photos of black leather ones? While it might seem like a minor detail, those are two distinctly different fashion vibes, and that right there might throw someone off thinking "no way would the Jason I know be caught dead in those shoes..." The ones in the photo do not look like anything even close to the blue ones I'd envision someone wearing at a Grateful Dead concert in 1995. I had a red pair myself. Does anyone know if those are the actual shoes or just a photo of what someone thought were the shoes? However, from the t-shirt he was wearing and the light colored blue jeans, and having gone to a high school with a bunch of 90s version hippies (and having a cousin that toured with GD and Phish) and also having attended my fair share of Widespread and Phish shows, I do not believe that he was a Grateful Dead follower. This style t-shirt and the pink hair was something more typical of what you'd see around sixth to eighth graders, but would get you poked fun at in high school or later at a "show." Kids in high school and at shows like this could be pretty mean and would probably call someone wearing this a poser. Even though the fans were pretty free spirited, there was still a bit of hippie snobbery in many of those circles. The pink hair was really trendy between '91 and '93, but I don't recall seeing nearly as much of that as late as '95. I do not think he was a regular -- unless he was much younger than the age estimates. IMHO.

Somebody has to be missing Jason and be looking for him. I have been following this for so long, and it just baffles me and I feel like something about his description or rendering has to be way off. I sure hope we can help him find his way home to his family and friends.

JasonDoeGratefulDeadFanCollection.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 484

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 843
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 836