VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this has already happened, or if it has already been addressed but is there a facebook page dedicated to Jason? I would like to share it on my page, just to get the word out. I know a great deal of "Dead Heads" and who knows? Maybe someone knows of him or the Carolines.

ive been trying to read through...does anyone know if james arthur cole has been ruled out ? its the 2nd pic when u scroll that caught my eye.. plus the initials of his name got me .J.A.C

ive been trying to read through...does anyone know if james arthur cole has been ruled out ? its the 2nd pic when u scroll that caught my eye.. plus the initials of his name got me .J.A.C

His pic really resembles the newest reconstruction but I believe one of the articles mentioned a spider tattoo on his right arm. Plus the circumstances of his disappearance leans more towards foul play that happened that night.

I'm sure Maryland Missing said years ago that Cole has been ruled out.

In Post no. 40 of the original thread, Maryland Missing said that James Cole was ruled out. She appears to be incorrect in her recollection that Cole disappeared in '99. He actually disappeared a year before Grateful Doe died.

A thought just occurred to me. LE believes that family or friends may have contacted them after the accident. The accident did not receive coverage nationally that I know of, so we could narrow down the search a great deal if we could determine who among the public could have heard about the UID that early on. In other words, which TV/Radio/Newspapers had covered the story at the time the call was received. Could be a completely blind alley, or Jason Doe may have been pretty close to home. Anyone know how to find that out?

Good thought about the newspaper coverage. One additional thought. Could the story have been carried locally in South Carolina, where the driver was from. Possibly JD was from the same area as the driver.

Does anyone know who they removed as an exclusion? And I wonder why they did it.

i wanted to start a new thread about this but i guess i don't have the permissions to do that...

in my not so distant youth i used to be big into a few band scenes and in high school/college i spent my summers traveling to shows of these bands all around the northeast. one thing i noticed about these groups is that there was a cross section of fans that would pop up at all the shows. it wasnt uncommon to see dead heads at a DMB show, or DMB fans rocking out at a government mule show, etc. i have a very strong feeling that jason wasnt a die hard dead head, but perhaps part of the broader "jam band" culture.

we know the dead was headed west and jason was headed south, so he wasnt on to the next show. maybe he was off to see another band? or maybe he came FROM another scene and we can trace him that way?

similar bands (all rule outs sadly):
-Government Mule (nothing i could see from mid june to mid july - last date before jason died 6/17 - boston)
-Dave Matthews Band (on european tour all of june until mid july)
-String Cheese Incident (only 3 dates i found between june and august, all in colorado)
-Widespread Panic (seems to have take off pretty much all of june, next show was 7/7 in MN)

Possibility:
-Phish (headed north after 6/26 to NY and MA, BUT was in NJ on 6/23 and Rochester NY area on 6/22)

those are the jam bands that came to me off the top of my head... anyone else know of any? a lot of these bands have taping/trading cultures and tailgating traditions... maybe the carolines arent deadheads but are part of one of these communities?

someone knows who jason is.

I think I posted something along this line a few years back, based on the same theory. My list was not as extensive, but as I recall, I also came up with no explanation for heading south to see another show. There were a couple Rainbow tribe/family events in that direction. Hard to say if he was heading home, going to a show or gathering or just heading in some random direction. I suspect you're right that he wasn't necessarily a Deadhead as much as a jam band fan.

i wanted to start a new thread about this but i guess i don't have the permissions to do that...

in my not so distant youth i used to be big into a few band scenes and in high school/college i spent my summers traveling to shows of these bands all around the northeast. one thing i noticed about these groups is that there was a cross section of fans that would pop up at all the shows. it wasnt uncommon to see dead heads at a DMB show, or DMB fans rocking out at a government mule show, etc. i have a very strong feeling that jason wasnt a die hard dead head, but perhaps part of the broader "jam band" culture.

Possibility:
-Phish (headed north after 6/26 to NY and MA, BUT was in NJ on 6/23 and Rochester NY area on 6/22)

those are the jam bands that came to me off the top of my head... anyone else know of any? a lot of these bands have taping/trading cultures and tailgating traditions... maybe the carolines arent deadheads but are part of one of these communities?

someone knows who jason is.

snipped and BBM

-someone somewhere recently on these threads linked to a GD discussion site. One of the posters was talking, complaining actually that those shows that summer were a real turn-off to REAL GD followers. He said they were mainly younger, wild, Phish heads who went to the GD concerts to party.

My sister is a big fan. I will ask her if there are any popular sites and see if she can post some info.

Was Lalapalooza on tour in the area? That had quite the following and a very diverse group of people would attend. I would know been to a feew of them back then.

Lollapalooza '95 locations: http://janesaddiction.org/lollapalooza/lollapalooza-95/

Allman Brothers Band: http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?list=tours&choice=1653

Leftover Salmon was out west in CA, CO, OR, etc.

moe. was also at west coast venues, but headed back to NY in the beginning of July

Bob Dylan was in Europe in July, but sat in for those two GD RFK shows.

Thinking of the USC connection with the driver, I looked up Hootie and the Blowfish, but they did not play in Columbia until 8/30/95.

That's about all I can come up with right now, but I have been using setlist.com as a source to find familiar jam band names that would have been active in '95.

What about this guy? Picture at link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Valley-Mugshots/279285502183184

DESCRIPTION
Date(s) of Birth Used: February 16, 1965
Place of Birth: Iowa
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 180 pounds (in 1994)
NCIC: W798228826
Occupations: Cook,
Photo assistant
Hair: Blond
Eyes: Blue
Sex: Male
Race: White
Nationality: American

Scars and Marks: None known
Remarks: While in high school, West enjoyed playing the drums and after graduating he continued to coach the drum line and also played in a local Cedar Rapids band. West was the co-owner/operator of a tie-dye shop. He was artistic and designed shirts that he attempted to sell at Grateful Dead concerts, which he usually attended during the 1980s and into the 1990s.

CAUTION
Matthew Samuel West is wanted for failure to appear regarding drug-related charges in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. West was involved in a conspiracy to distribute a substance containing LSD. West was convicted after a jury trial on December 2, 1992. He was released on bond while he appealed his conviction, and during this time he fled the state of Iowa.

On April 5, 1994, a federal arrest warrant was issued in the United States District Court, Northern District of Iowa, for West's arrest. He was charged with failure to appear.
If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Field Office: Omaha

the grateful dead tie-in is a good one but grateful doe is 5'8" and this guy is 6'. also, they estimate grateful doe to be 16-21. the wanted man was 30 in 1995. stranger things have happened, though.

I just saw the picture and thought 'I've seen this guy before' - and the making of GD tie-dye shirts - went missing just before the other guy turns up etc.

Also, FBI poster lists his eyes as blue. FWIW, my DGS's (cough) sperm donor has his eyes listed as brown on his inmate info but his mugshot clearly shows they are blue. He 'stayed' with the DOC for six years - you think they would have noticed. :what:

jmo

I just saw the picture and thought 'I've seen this guy before' - and the making of GD tie-dye shirts - went missing just before the other guy turns up etc.

Also, FBI poster lists his eyes as blue. FWIW, my DGS's (cough) sperm donor has his eyes listed as brown on his inmate info but his mugshot clearly shows they are blue. He 'stayed' with the DOC for six years - you think they would have noticed. :what:

jmo

you bring up a good point. in any of these unidentified cold cases at some point we have to start looking at what biographical information might be incorrect, thus causing the lack of identification over the years. stuff like incorrect height, weight, age, eye color, etc could cause us and le to eliminate a possibility based on errant information. considering it's been sixteen years or so in this case, i'd start looking at possibilities that are good matches except for one of the pieces of info we think we know. just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769