VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male died 26 June 1995 in Virginia

Unidentified White Male
Located on June 26, 1995 in Greensville County, Virginia.
Cause of death was a traffic accident

Vital Statistics

Estimated Age: 16-21 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'7 to 5'9"
Weight: 169 lbs (77 kg)
Hair Color: Light brown to dark blond, curly, shoulder length.
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: His left ear was pierced but he was not wearing an earring. Homemade tattoo of a 5 pointed star on his left arm. Faint veining pattern over the right upper arm resembling a faint tattoo.
Dentals: Available. He had all of his teeth and no dental restoration work. All third molars completely erupted.
Fingerprints: Available with Virginia OCME. Fingerprint have been previously searched in AFIS with negative results.
DNA: nucDNA available at the Virginia Department of Forensic Science ref# C95-7515. Sample sent to UNT for mtDNA.

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Levi Strauss 505 light blue jeans (waist 33 length 32), blue FILA athletic shoes (size 11 1/2), white athletic socks, and a red concert T-shirt of the Grateful Dead, Tour 30th Anniversary 1995.
Jewelry: Macrame and bead necklace

Additional Personal Items: He had a note in his pocket that said: "To Jason, Sorry we had to go. See you around. Caroline O. and Caroline T." The note had a phone number with a 914 prefix. There was no area code. He also had two ticket stubs to Grateful Dead concerts at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. one for June 24, 1994 and another for June 25, 1995.

Case History

On June 26, 1995, the decedent, known as "Jason Doe" was a passenger in a van involved in a fatal accident on Route 58 West, 0.3 miles east of Route 605 in Greensville County, Virginia, that killed him and the driver.

The identified driver apparently fell asleep at the wheel on his way back to South Carolina. Authorities believe the unidentified passenger was picked up while hitchhiking between Fairfax and Gloucester. He didn't have any identification on him and the family of the driver did not know who he was.

The tickets found in the victim's pocket were traced to a Pennsylvania man who brought 20 tickets with him to the concert. Unfortunately, the man could not recall to whom he sold the tickets.

At link below, see:
Forensic artist renderings (1-3) and a composite (4) of the decedent. T-shirt worn by the decedent (5). Decedent's tattoo (6).

Investigators:

If you have any information about this case please contact;

Central District Medical Examiner's Office
Kevin Whaley
Phone: 804-786-3174

Or

NamUs
David Baldwin
Phone: 757-683-8366

Agency Case Number: ME: 123526; NCMEC: NCMU400037

NamUs Case Number: UP #6095

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Sources

The Washington Post
AOL Grateful Dead Forum (1996-97)
NamUs
NCMEC
The Child Protection Education of America
Pulp Radio Magazine Archive
Richmond Times-Dispatch News Archive
The Doe Network: Case File 127UMVA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/127umva.html

Yes, there was a discussion about that guy, if he could be Jason Doe. But I think the conclusion was that he didn't have the right looks, Jasons hair was darker, and the nose was different

Btw, I talked to someone who has seen the pictures os Doe, she said his hair was something like this color

11.jpg

Two and a half months left till 18 years gone!
Are there any plans to run a story in the same local paper as all those years ago?

Who are you Jason?

Attachments

• ipujohygijuf.jpg
    ipujohygijuf.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 78
You would think that if it was a case of his family not claiming him because they had no money at that time, that if they now knew how many people care and want to give him his name back, that they would be willing to disclose.

i thought the same thing, but it could also be that it wasnt motivated by money. maybe they disapproved of his life style, maybe he had a previous history with running away or drugs and when they saw that he had been killed coming home from a dead show, they assumed he was back to old habits. maybe they at the time could not pay and now feel they will be judged harshly if they do come forward, if people find out they let their son sit, nameless, in a police department drawer some where for close to 2 decades.

or, maybe they are not on the grid for one reason or another and don't know people are trying so hard to give him a name.... there was mention many pages ago about him possibly being amish and out on rumspringa (time in the real world). i think thats just as likely as any other possibility...

I have given them a new name to look into. The only thing that doesn't match is the eyecolor. Besides from that they could be twins. Has anyone heard of a case getting solved where they had the wrong eyecolor of the unidentified?

I have given them a new name to look into. The only thing that doesn't match is the eyecolor. Besides from that they could be twins. Has anyone heard of a case getting solved where they had the wrong eyecolor of the unidentified?
Eye color is approximate. His last photo shows brownish greenish eyes.

i'm pretty sure that happens every now and then, either because of an entry error, or sometimes people have different perceptions of what eye color is. i think i've also read things on this site about eye color changing postmortem, but i never followed up on that to see if it was true.

I've always heard that the eyes darken after death and I think I once read an article that after so many hours or days they will all look kind of brown. I assume Jason Doe was found pretty quickly at the accident scene but I am not sure how soon they did an autopsy. I would think that refrigerating the body until autopsy would help prevent the eyes from turning.
People often are mistaken about eye color, even family members. Some family members call my eyes brown and others call them green. They are hazel and in my case are almost all green with just a thin circle of brown around the pupil. My husband's eyes are blue if you look at him straight on but from the side look greenish. Everyone has their own perception of color. So the medical examiner may have called them whatever color he mostly thought them to be. Hazel eyes especially can be tricky. It could be Jason Doe had hazel eyes and the ME wrote them down as brown.

In this case the missing has clear, blue eyes. So I don't have much hope, but they are looking into it

do you mind sharing the name you submitted? im just curious!

Not yet, I don't want to mess it up. But I'll post here as soon as I hear anything

Do you think he might have been Amish and left his family? They found about the accident, called...found out and just let it be?

Do you think he might have been Amish and left his family? They found about the accident, called...found out and just let it be?

He would have had to been separated from his family for a while. I say that because he had long hair and the Amish have short hair. It would have taken a few months for his hair to grow that long. Another thing that's been on my mind is that he had great teeth so obviously he took care of them. So where was his toothbrush? I wonder if he had his stuff stored in a bus depot locker or something.

He would have had to been separated from his family for a while. I say that because he had long hair and the Amish have short hair. It would have taken a few months for his hair to grow that long. Another thing that's been on my mind is that he had great teeth so obviously he took care of them. So where was his toothbrush? I wonder if he had his stuff stored in a bus depot locker or something.

i think it is likely he lost his stuff or had it stolen. it doesn't make sense that he'd have stashed his stuff somewhere, including identification, wallet, cash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haororg