VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the use of the word "safely," I think we need some insight from those who knew her before assuming much from that. I regularly say "safely in [destination]" or "home safe" and I'm fairly certain that I said the same when I was Katelin's age. If Nic is still reading, maybe she can shed some light?

I agree. I think it would depend on her relationship with Mom. We get the impression she was unsure and not accustomed to travelling alone. That is one side. If Mom was of that impression, then Katelin may find it necessary to reassure her with the word "safely" IMO.

Regarding the use of the word "safely," I think we need some insight from those who knew her before assuming much from that. I regularly say "safely in [destination]" or "home safe" and I'm fairly certain that I said the same when I was Katelin's age. If Nic is still reading, maybe she can shed some light?

I would add that not all young people are the same. My daughter would also send me a message like that. She's just thoughtful that way. Actually, last time she traveled she shared an app and gave me her flight plans, neither at my prompting. She told me "that way you can see when we land". To be fair, we have a great relationship and now that she's grown we are best buds. YMMV

I agree. I think it would depend on her relationship with Mom. We get the impression she was unsure and not accustomed to travelling alone. That is one side. If Mom was of that impression, then Katelin may find it necessary to reassure her with the word "safely" IMO.

Since she had never taken the metro by herself, I can clearly understand a text saying she arrived at the airport safely (via the metro) IMO.

This has been swirling away in my thoughts, if Katelin had little or no money, why would she even want to go to the mall? Also, since Katelin expressed to everyone that she was excited to return home, why would she disappear on her own? It makes no sense, to me! Someone knows....

Having only been on the Metro once, and I was a teenager then, I was scared!Had I not been with lots of friends from that area, I wouldn't have gotten on. Now as an adult, nope. It's confusing and too many people.

Still thinking of Katelin and hoping she'swhere she wants to be by her own terms.

I'm not sure the wording of the text matters <modsnip>

I have an 18 yr old who would text "k here, ttyl" and a 17 yr old who would text and tell me every shop she stopped at, the cute top she saw, the weird dude on the corner that looked at her funny and how much he looked like a potential serial killer, and adorable little girl at the airport and what she was wearing - and then say - got here "safely". Not all teens use the same language.

Until we see a screenshot of the actual text, I don't think we can read anything into it at all. It may or may not be accurate. Frankly, some found it odd she texted her mom. Others even thought it strange she didn't call her mom. I find it weird we can quibble over a single word we do not even know for a fact existed in her text. Then again...I have seen some crazy discussions here. LOL

Having only been on the Metro once, and I was a teenager then, I was scared!Had I not been with lots of friends from that area, I wouldn't have gotten on. Now as an adult, nope. It's confusing and too many people.

Still thinking of Katelin and hoping she'swhere she wants to be by her own terms.

I take the Metro daily (its really not worth driving in dc. The city population quadruples in size during the work day, however, crowds aren't too much of an issue on the train on weekends unless there's a home game) and I STILL get turned around sometimes if I'm not paying attention.

I take the Metro daily (its really not worth driving in dc. The city population quadruples in size during the work day, however, crowds aren't too much of an issue on the train on weekends unless there's a home game) and I STILL get turned around sometimes if I'm not paying attention.

This is something I hadn't thought of - I wonder if she too got turned around and took the wrong train . Perhaps she ended up at another station and accepted a ride back to the airport area from someone who harmed her and then ditched the luggage.

I still have to believe video would exist at the Metro even if it would take weeks to comb through to spot her - she would be on it .

Also for those wondering why she arrived so early for her flight - didn't a few articles mention her stepdad said she decided to go shopping for a present at the mall ? I will search for it. I have been following since thread 1 but haven't had anything to add

This is something I hadn't thought of - I wonder if she too got turned around and took the wrong train . Perhaps she ended up at another station and accepted a ride back to the airport area from someone who harmed her and then ditched the luggage.

I still have to believe video would exist at the Metro even if it would take weeks to comb through to spot her - she would be on it .

Also for those wondering why she arrived so early for her flight - didn't a few articles mention her stepdad said she decided to go shopping for a present at the mall ? I will search for it. I have been following since thread 1 but haven't had anything to add

It would be really hard to get turned around if she boarded at Franconia-Springfield. It's the first stop on the blue line, so there's zero chance she got on going in the wrong direction, it's only a blue line station,so there's no chance she got on the wrong line and it's a straight shot ~20min ride to DCA...Nearly impossible to miss the stop. So, I'm not sure how turned around she could get on *that* particular route.

I'm confused, I'm English, what's up with the word "safely"? I don't understand why we're suggesting she can't have sent it because of that particular word.

We can't possibly even begin to analyse her texts without seeing what her usual ones were like.

Anyway, I'm late to this and haven't read #1, what has been said about whether she definitely left the stepdads house?

It would be really hard to get turned around if she boarded at Franconia-Springfield. It's the first stop on the blue line, so there's zero chance she got on going in the wrong direction, it's only a blue line station,so there's no chance she got on the wrong line and it's a straight shot ~20min ride to DCA...Nearly impossible to miss the stop. So, I'm not sure how turned around she could get on *that* particular route.

Not to mention, that LE has said there is NO video of Katelin being dropped off at the mall, only that the stepfather's car was there. (And LE last stated a month ago that they were still going thru video from inside the mall and we haven't heard the results of that search.) You would think that between the mall, the walk to the Metro and the Metro Katelin would've showed up in some video. Of course, LE may have her on video - they're just not telling the public.

I'm not so sure the word 'safely' is a concern. My 21 yr old son just went back to Uni, I said to him "let me know when you're home safe and sound", he's texted me "Just arrived Mum, safe and sound".

I'm not so sure the word 'safely' is a concern. My 21 yr old son just went back to Uni, I said to him "let me know when you're home safe and sound", he's texted me "Just arrived Mum, safe and sound".

Whenever I was travelling as a teenager I'd playfully mock my mam by texting her exactly what she asked for.

E.g. going on holiday: she says "let me know when you've landed safely and checked into your hotel"
"Hi mam I've landed safely and checked into my hotel. Can I enjoy myself now?!"

I don't find the wording weird, if it was as stated.

I'm confused, I'm English, what's up with the word "safely"? I don't understand why we're suggesting she can't have sent it because of that particular word.

We can't possibly even begin to analyse her texts without seeing what her usual ones were like.

Anyway, I'm late to this and haven't read #1, what has been said about whether she definitely left the stepdads house?

Only that the police are sure his car was in the area of the mall. No word on whether it was caught on video.

I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread, but apologies if I missed it. It seems like many on this thread are leaning towards a voluntary disappearance. If that's the case, what reason would Katelin have for not just calling LE, telling them she's fine, and going on with her life? If she did this, LE would announce that she's safe, and the missing persons case would be dropped, which has not happened.

I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread, but apologies if I missed it. It seems like many on this thread are leaning towards a voluntary disappearance. If that's the case, what reason would Katelin have for not just calling LE, telling them she's fine, and going on with her life? If she did this, LE would announce that she's safe, and the missing persons case would be dropped, which has not happened.

I doubt that she's gone off on her own for several reasons. It could be the case I'll admit, but it's highly unlikely.

If someone were to call the LE handling the case and ask for status can the LE advise if it is still indeed a missing case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think *part* of the reason some might suspect Katelin took off of her own accord, may be due to the perceived lack of urgency to find her. Possibly. Just speculating there.

If LE thought she was truly kidnapped. They would have told us her last ping area when sending the texts to mom and Amber. With the hopes of the publics help. Jmo

If they thought she was murdered by someone she knew. They would have been interviewing family members or friends non stop.

If they knew she ran away. They would have said that we are suspending the case because it looks like a voluntary missing adult. But if you sight her. Please let us know so we can confirm this.

But what if they suspect her involvement in something else. They probably wouldn't say anything until they can eliminate that option. Jmo

So imo. Katelin wasnt kidnapped nor murdered which is only my opinion with a side order of Just My Opinion.
I have been thinking along similar lines since day one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member