VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

The latest "Vanished" podcast episode: Episodes

Some interesting insight into the stepfather, the ones Katelin had the affair with, another possible POI and her fiancee and her past with Katelin. Fingers are still being pointed at the stepfather, but some other things here muddy the waters a bit.

I agree... what about this other couple that supposedly “forced themselves” on her.... maybe there was something more going on with that situation and they killed her?

I just wanted to repost this .

So this would mean that Stepdads phone and KA phones are pinging in 2 different locations., 4 minutes apart. He cant be using both phones himself. So this seems to be a huge issue to over come .
How much further south? Couldn’t he be driving....

just bumping this. was following this years ago and regularly find myself thinking about her and wondering what happened. haven't stayed up to date on these threads but it always seemed so secretive/like law enforcement was not sharing everything they knew.

This will be 4 years in December?!?!? I don't get what is up with this case. With all the surveillance cameras I would have thought LE would have something.
They probably don't think that they have enough to secure a conviction without a body. I tend to disagree, but then again I don't know the community from which the jury pool would be drawn. Maybe no-body murder cases don't go over well in Virginia.

They probably don't think that they have enough to secure a conviction without a body. I tend to disagree, but then again I don't know the community from which the jury pool would be drawn. Maybe no-body murder cases don't go over well in Virginia.
Probably the most famous is the Alexis Murphy case where Randy Taylor was convicted. They haven't found her body yet. But they had forensic evidence in his trailer home and it was the second missing persons case he was connected to in Virginia. It can be done, but as you point out they probably don't have enough evidence to secure a conviction.

Same and unfortunately, I moved away from there, so I'm unable to continue the flyers we were doing. She's right around my girls ages and I can guarantee they would have been friends if they knew each other. All I can think of is she should be doing all the things that my girls are doing...college, hanging with friends, etc.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give my input.

When I first came across this case I was 100% sure the SD was responsible, his story doesn't add up and as far as we know he was the last person to see her. However digging further I began to doubt this as some aspects of his story can be explained and don't seem that strange in hindsight. But having read through all the threads here, I think I've reverted back to my original thought that he is indeed responsible.

A few points:

- His cell phone pinging off a tower near his home when he sent the text to LS saying he had "just dropped [Katelin] off at the airport" isn't odd to me. If you think about it, it doesn't mean he literally just dropped her off the moment he sent that text. He could have dropped her off (though we know now he dropped her off at the mall, supposedly), decided to make the lengthy journey back and then send the text to LS saying he had "just" dropped her off. I can imagine doing this myself.

- Not being seen dropping her off by the cameras at the mall isn't that strange when you consider that there were only two (I think? Not many, anyway) covering the entire mall. What are the chances he'd happen to drop her off right in front of one of them? It doesn't mean he never did.

- If Katelin had decided during the car journey that, since she had so much time to spare before her flight, she'd hang around in the mall then make her way to the airport via the metro, then SD not telling LS this isn't all that strange either. Maybe Katelin just told him to say he had dropped her off at the airport to avoid the hassle of having to explain why she was at the mall instead. This also doesn't mean she intended to buy anything, it's just something to do to pass the time and, again, I could see myself doing this rather than hang around in an airport for x number of hours.

- Was this couple she had the threesome with (who had apparently forced themselves on her) looked into more? I think they may have some involvement. From what I've read, they were cleared simply because they were "very honest" and "cooperative" with LE. This doesn't mean anything and should not be enough to clear someone. Guilty parties tend to act this way to seem helpful and less suspicious, in addition to wanting to keep on top of where LE are with the case.

- Continuing from the last point, I have to wonder if Katelin had been in touch with them during the car journey and agreed to meet them at this mall to discuss what happened. Maybe things got out of hand and she was (accidentally?) killed, and this couple used her phone to text LS and AR, as well as dump her luggage by the side of the road on their way back. I am aware this is probably a loose theory and the SD is certainly more suspicious, but has anyone looked at the case from this angle before?

- Further points about the SD: not taking the polygraph isn't too suspect to me. After all polygraphs are not admissible in court for a reason and nowadays it is wise to avoid taking one. Not allowing access to his phone is a little strange but at the same time, it could be more for privacy reasons.

- SD didn't go to work that day but also never went back. Do we know if he actually quit himself or did the company fire him?

Don't get me wrong, I think SD is guilty but not everything about his version of events is suspicious, to me at least.

Last edited:
Why hasn't the step father, JB, been interrogated further?! He works near the place her luggage was found. He lives in Partlow where the pings on his AND her cellphone where made. He lied about going to work the day of her disappearance. He knows something further.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liliyaaa
Back