VA VA - Mineral, MultMale 20-27, UP115072, Skel remains found in wooded area, Dec'23

ProudSuggestion3528

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UID Multiple (White/Hisp/Uncertain) Male
NamUs Case# UP115072
Mineral, VA

Case Numbers​

ME/C Case Number: C2023-02755

Demographics​

Biological Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian, Hispanic / Latino, Uncertain
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): 20-27
Estimated PMI: 15 Years
Height: Cannot Estimate
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances​

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: December 9, 2023
NamUs Case Created: January 22, 2024

Location Found Map

County: Louisa County
Found On Tribal Land: No
Circumstances of Recovery: Skeletal remains found in a wooded area. Per the anthropologist, PMI is estimated to be greater than 3 years and less than 15 years. Remains are very dry, bleached and odorless indicating that they have been exposed outdoors for multiple years. All bones were clean, indicating that they were not buried and then unearthed.

Details of Recovery​

Inventory of Remains:
Torso not recovered
One or more limbs not recovered
One or both hands not recovered

Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Physical Description​

Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinctive Physical Features​

No Information Entered​

Clothing and Accessories​

ItemDescriptionLocation
ClothingCortez 72 right sneaker (black and white)
Remnants of sweater
Green beanie hat
Pink knitted scarf and hat
On the Body

0 MP exclusions

Clothing on this UID would indicate that he died or was killed in cold weather. I think he was killed or died between 2008-2020 give or take a couple of years as indicated from the PMI.

Shoes that this UID wore to give you a good idea of what they looked like.

Last edited:

Carlos Manuel Carballo-Rivas?

Was last seen on November 27, 2021 in Alexandria VA which is a little over an hour and a half from Mineral. NamUs states that he was going to Centreville which is only 29 miles from Alexandria but maybe he went somewhere else and met with foul play? He also wore black sneakers which could be similar to what the UID wore (Not sure if UID wore the white ones with black swoosh or black cortez sneakers with white swoosh).

#MP36048 John Dunwell Samen
NamUs / Charley Project

Samen went missing from South Boston which is ~2.5 hrs by car from Mineral. He was last seen heading north on Route 501 around Brookneal. Most of his family is/was in New York, and drawing a straight line on a map between South Boston and NY puts you a stones throw from Mineral.
Samen disappeared December 6th 2009, which fits with the estimated time of death (3-15y ago).
Samen disappeared in winter, potentially accounting for the decedent's strange outfit. IRL I volunteer with street homeless/rough sleepers and the strange combination of clothing really reminds me of what these folks wear; which is to say anything they can get their hands on.
Samen was likely suffering some mental health symptoms, if not when he disappeared then shortly afterwards as his meds wore off. If he appeared strange or behaved erratically, he may not have had the best luck hitching, slowing his journey down considerably and/or stranding him.
The decedent was found in woodland near what is essentially a fork in the road between two routes, both going north. It's possible he had stopped in Mineral to reassess his route.
Samen apparently had an interest in the outdoors and survival, so his relatively flimsy, expensive footwear is confusing. He also disappeared wearing a somewhat warm hooded jacket, and that was not found with the decedent, which gives me pause.

What do we think?

#MP36048 John Dunwell Samen
NamUs / Charley Project

Samen went missing from South Boston which is ~2.5 hrs by car from Mineral. He was last seen heading north on Route 501 around Brookneal. Most of his family is/was in New York, and drawing a straight line on a map between South Boston and NY puts you a stones throw from Mineral.
Samen disappeared December 6th 2009, which fits with the estimated time of death (3-15y ago).
Samen disappeared in winter, potentially accounting for the decedent's strange outfit. IRL I volunteer with street homeless/rough sleepers and the strange combination of clothing really reminds me of what these folks wear; which is to say anything they can get their hands on.
Samen was likely suffering some mental health symptoms, if not when he disappeared then shortly afterwards as his meds wore off. If he appeared strange or behaved erratically, he may not have had the best luck hitching, slowing his journey down considerably and/or stranding him.
The decedent was found in woodland near what is essentially a fork in the road between two routes, both going north. It's possible he had stopped in Mineral to reassess his route.
Samen apparently had an interest in the outdoors and survival, so his relatively flimsy, expensive footwear is confusing. He also disappeared wearing a somewhat warm hooded jacket, and that was not found with the decedent, which gives me pause.

What do we think?
Samen's only rule out is UP7605 in Clarksville, VA. It looks interesting, maybe submit this to law enforcement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberlynn566
Back