VA VA - Quantico, WhtFem 25-52, UP118401, hip tat, poss surgical scar, Found in controlled area of MCB, Sep'76

ProudSuggestion3528

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
NamUs# UP118401
UID White/Caucasian Female
Quantico, VA

Case Numbers​

ME/C Case Number: N1976-09092

Demographics​

Biological Sex: Female
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 60
Estimated Age Range (Years): 25-52
Estimated Year of Death: 1976
Estimated PMI: 1 Months
Height: 5' 1"-5' 4"(61-64 inches) , Estimated
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances​

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: September 26, 1976
NamUs Case Created: March 19, 2024

Location Found Map

County: Prince William County
Found On Tribal Land: No
Circumstances of Recovery: Decomposed remains found in a controlled area of Marine Corps Base Quantico. Remains autopsied at National Naval Medical Center Bethesda

Details of Recovery​

Inventory of Remains: Head not recovered, One or both hands not recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description​

Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: long dark brown or black strands of hair noted with remains
Body Hair Description: dark brown/black pubic hair
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinctive Physical Features​

Scar/Mark: lower abdomen 8 1/2 cm in length, possible surgical scar
Tattoo: right hip (inferolateral tot he anterior-superior iliac spine): 12 x 10 cm; Clair* indistinct figure of a flower* Evelyn

Clothing and Accessories​

Clothing: Green blouse with white polka dots; collared neck and is sleeveless; zipper in the back; label reads "Sunny South Fashions of Dallas"Padded bra, both cups contain foam rubber pads; white/gray in colorYellow-white cloth underpants; wasitline measures 30" and has some elastic-type materialRed Levi's trousers; waist 28" inseam 27"; label reads "Levi's for Gals/Stay Pressed"Beige or tan raincoat labeled "Outer Banks Collection by Jocquin" - On The Body

Quantico, VA |"Quantico Jane Doe" or "Marine Corps Jane Doe" - September 26, 1976.

On September 26, 1976, decomposing human remains were found in a "controlled area" of Marine Corps Base Quantico. The headless remains were sent for an autopsy at National Naval Medical Center Bethesda in Maryland. It was estimated that the Jane Doe had died around a month prior. The remains were determined to be from a white female standing 5' 1"-5' 4" tall within the wide age range of 20s to 50s. The Jane Doe's head was "not recovered" and neither was one or both of her hands. While her head was not recovered, long strands of black or dark brown hair were located within the remains. The body displayed a surgical scar along the abdomen, and had tattoos on the right hip. The tattoo features the names Clair and Evelyn and an "indistinct figure of a flower." Clothing was also found on the body. (per NamUs).

An article archived through JAMA from July of 1979 states that Quantico Jane Doe was found "near the middle branch of the Chopawansic Creek" on the Base. Examination revealed Quantico Doe had an old, healed, nondisplaced fracture of the left ulna (forearm). Examination also revealed that Quantico Doe had 1-2 childbirths and likely experienced severe illnesses during childhood. At present, I can only read the abstract of this article as I don't have a JAMA account.

Quantico Jane Doe was not added to NamUs until March 19, 2024. (ARCHIVE)

Case Numbers:
  • NamUs: UP118401
  • ME/C: N1976-09092
  • Doe Network: N/A
Overview:
  • DBF: September 26, 1976.
  • NamUs Created: March 19, 2024.
  • PMI: 1 MONTH (1976)
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable, decomposing/putrefaction
  • Cause of Death: UNKNOWN
Demographics / Physical:
  • Sex: Female
  • Race/Ethnicity: White
  • Height: 5'1" - 5'4"
  • Weight: UNKNOWN
  • Hair: Dark brown/black (dark pubic hair)
  • Eye: UNKNOWN
Characteristics / Personal Affects
  • Tattoo(s): "Clair," "Evelyn," with "indistinct" flower on right hip
  • Clothing: Green blouse with white polka dots; collared neck and is sleeveless; zipper in the back; label reads "Sunny South Fashions of Dallas;" padded bra, both cups contain foam rubber pads; white/gray in color; yellow-white cloth underpants; waistline measures 30" and has some elastic-type material; red Levi's trousers; waist 28" inseam 27"; label reads "Levi's for Gals/Stay Pressed;" beige or tan raincoat labeled "Outer Banks Collection by Joaquin"

Contacts
  • Office of the Chief Medical Examiner Northern District - Lara Newell (703) 530-2600
  • Naval Criminal Investigative Service Headquarters - S.A. Mark Platt (?)
Links / Sources

"Head not recovered "......??

So, where is her skull then and why would it not be near her body?!

Definitely suspicious.
one or both hands too. very common tactic to hinder identification in the pre-DNA days

Her NamUs was updated on April 4 with images of her tattoos. It looks like they cut the part of her skin with the tattoo(s) off for the photo? Not very graphic but still NSFW.

NamUs #UP118401

Also the OP of this thread and I both posted threads on this Doe independently of one another around the same time. Here is my thread if the mods would like to combine.

Her NamUs was updated on April 4 with images of her tattoos. It looks like they cut the part of her skin with the tattoo(s) off for the photo? Not very graphic but still NSFW.

NamUs #UP118401

Also the OP of this thread and I both posted threads on this Doe independently of one another around the same time. Here is my thread if the mods would like to combine.
Newspaper clipping from namus, with tattoo photo scribbled and blurredScreenshot_20240407-221210_Gallery.jpg

I see that this was a Marine base. That tattoo looks to me like one of the old-fashioned styles you'd see sailors have, so I'm wondering if she got this done at a shop/person that catered to sailors. That is making me also think military wife. MOO, IMO, etc

Wondering about the indistinct flower shape. I can't think of any flower it directly resembles and it of course looks solid black because it's a black and white photo. I wish it specified if the entire tattoo was black (likely faded black) or if there were colors. Colors associated with the indistinct flower could help pinpoint what flower it was supposed to be. I think it looks like a weird winged creature actually.

Interesting article out of Charlotte, NC dated 10/1/76 about the possibility that this woman may be the same woman that went to the Charlotte PD about a month prior stating she had been raped. They did not remember her last name? No report was taken or what?

The article also states that both of her breasts had been removed previously. I do not see this bit of information in the NamUs case reporting. Also, her age was estimated at 25-35.

It’s possible we should be looking for a MP who either had a caesarean section or hysterectomy + breasts removed, so maybe cancer or a preventative procedure + she coukd be from the Charlotte area. (MOO)

Additionally, the article says the tattoo was located on her upper right thigh.

1712542976327.jpeg
1712543022884.jpeg

Internet says "stay pressed" is slang and an equivalent of telling someone to "stay mad about it." I have heard the term "pressed" used in this manner but never "stay pressed." However, if you add "Levi's for Gals" it will bring up pants with the descriptor "sta-prest" (meaning stay pressed) and also the 1960s as a date. You can find these pants on Poshmark, Ebay, Threadup, etc. There are several examples of red pants like these online.

And a search for "Sunny South Fashions of Dallas" indeed yields clothing that dates back to the 1970s.

1712550361261.jpegElaine Lehtinen disappeared from Napa, CA a few months earlier. She had been in Napa for about a year. She was a high ranking naval officer and had transferred from Norfolk, VA. One theory discussed on her thread is that she may have been kidnapped. A Navy regulation manual was found opened to the section on court martial, the reason for reading has never been figured out. Her mother was reported to have committed suicide one month previously. Wonder if there was a connection there. Only posting here due to her connection to Virginia and the military.

There was no apparent reason for Elaine to have disappeared she had excelled in her career with the Navy and currently was a Navy Warrant Officer at Mare Island in Vallejo, California. Elaine had transferred from Norfolk, Virginia in June 1975 a year prior, she was in the program to become a lieutenant commander an exclusive rank for a woman at the time. All thou petite in size Elaine was a well-known marks-woman and had been the Captain of the US Navy Wave team. Over the years Elaine and her team won many awards for their sharp shooting skills. Elaine was also one of (2) women ever selected to compete in the President’s 100 rifle match.

I think its interesting that they give her height as 5'1"-5'4", but someone with a 27in inseam would be 5'7" on average.
I'm 5'3 and wear a 27" inseam. In addition to your height, your inseam depends on your leg length, which can vary greatly even in people of the same height.

I'm 5'3 and wear a 27" inseam. In addition to your height, your inseam depends on your leg length, which can vary greatly even in people of the same height.
Yeah, I'm 5'7" and have a longer torso. I have to turn up all my jeans by at least an inch, because I walk on the back cuffs otherwise. But the length would probably be fine for a lot of people my height.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back