VA VA - Ralph Leon Jackson, Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter, 4 May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

My view on this thread is the US Public have a right to know the truth about investigative genetic genealogy and what LE and the genealogists have been doing with it. This includes in my opinion that many innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit through the use of investigative genetic genealogy that is scientifically flawed and this in my opinion includes the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. Many of those who in my opinion have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit have not even identified their DNA into any database. In my view we have a very vocal and well financed campaign backed by LE and Private Companies to get innocent people to OPT IN or to enter their DNA into databases for LE to use. In my opinion some of those advocating people OPT in with their DNA have been involved in processes which have been used to wrongly accuse these innocent people of crimes they did not commit:

“This has been slow and painful for us,” she said.

Wojcicki notes that privacy could be a factor. Fears about people’s DNA ending up in the wrong hands might have been heightened in the aftermath of the Golden State Killer case. Criminal investigations honed in on a suspect involved in a decades-old rapes and murders by running DNA found at the scene through a free online database where anyone who got their DNA tested through a company like 23andMe could upload it. A suspect was found because a distant relative had shared their genetic information -- showing how DNA data, unlike other kinds of data, is unique because it’s linked to and potentially exposes information about family members.

23andMe lays off 100 people as DNA test sales decline, CEO says she was 'surprised' to see market turn

Here are details of a Canadian case in which DNA Phenotyping was used:

Autopsy results indicated that the girl had been breathing on her own at some point after she was born.

Police said they made an arrest after reviewing close circuit TV video and compared the pictures to a high-tech image of the mother and the infant created by DNA phenotyping — a process that can predict physical appearance and ancestry.

It was the first time Calgary police have used the technology.

The phenotype and the physical characteristics of the mother are close, Schiavetta said.

"We went back and reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and were eventually able to find a female that appeared to be in medical distress and also purchasing items which would be consistent after child birth," he said.

Mom charged in 2017 death of Calgary infant found in dumpster on Christmas Eve

Here is an interview with one of the people involved with the company that bought the website GEDMATCH recently. Again it is my opinion that GEDMATCH and its profiles was actually used to wrongly accuse many people of crimes they did not commit including in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson:

Here is part of the above report. As I say it as a result of a mistake in the Golden State Killer case that access to these other DNA database were 'opened up' and in my view this has likely lead to other innocent people being wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit in my opinion how Joseph DeAngelo was in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was Ralph Leon Jackson:

The conference’s co-host, a Houston-based direct-to-consumer genetic testing company called Gene by Gene, is allowing law enforcement agencies to submit DNA samples and lab data files from certain kinds of cold cases. Gene by Gene then queries its DNA database, Family Tree DNA, for any matches that investigators can use to track down suspects or identify remains.

Gene by Gene lab director Connie Bormans said the company decided to open its database to law enforcement after news broke that investigative genetic genealogy in 2018 helped catch suspected Golden State killer Joseph DeAngelo, who is accused of at least 13 murders and dozens of rapes and burglaries in California in the 1970s and 1980s.

In the 18 months since, at least 70 cold cases including murders and rapes have been solved, conference presenters said Thursday.

“These are the ones where the perpetrators have really been living undetected — for decades, in some cases — and they are the ones that need to be brought to justice first,” Bormans said.

Bormans acknowledged that letting law enforcement access its database has been controversial. Its customers buy DNA kits and submit their samples, usually to help them find loved ones or build family trees.

Most don’t know or expect that their DNA profiles — even though uploaded into public databases — could be used to help track down a suspect in a criminal case.

But Bormans said Gene by Gene only allows law enforcement to use its services for what she calls the “most heinous crimes” — unsolved homicides, sexual assaults and child abductions — as well as to identify human remains.

And the agencies have to register with Gene by Gene before they can submit any DNA samples from their investigations.

Borman said Gene by Gene’s U.S. customers automatically give consent to let law enforcement search their profiles when they use the company’s services. But customers can manually opt out, if they have privacy or other concerns, she said.

Paul Holes, a retired cold case investigator who spent 24 years trying to track down the Golden State killer, said he thinks there’s a good chance investigative genetic genealogy can help solve Kansas cold cases.

“I’m excited about the idea of Family Tree DNA and Gene by Gene working with Kansas authorities in order to try to get closure for some of these victims’ families,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article239584183.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article239584183.html

Here is another report about investigative genetic genealogy generated by the recent conference on the subject. For what it is worth it is my opinion that some of those attending the conference do not understand the flaws in the science behind the investigative genealogy they are championing and made some serious mistakes including in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. So if I were Kansas LE I would take what they are told with a pinch of salt:

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Here is another report about investigative genetic genealogy generated by the recent conference on the subject. For what it is worth it is my opinion that some of those attending the conference do not understand the flaws in the science behind the investigative genealogy they are championing and made some serious mistakes including in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. So if I were Kansas LE I would take what they are told with a pinch of salt:

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Here is an interesting report about the use of investigative genetic genealogy from Kansas associated with the above report from the Wichita Eagle:

https://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/suzanne-perez/article239606068.html

Here is an interesting report about the use of investigative genetic genealogy from Kansas associated with the above report from the Wichita Eagle:

https://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/suzanne-perez/article239606068.html

It is my opinion based on years of research in the EAR/ONS AKA Golden State Killer case (many more than any investigative genetic genealogist) that investigative genetic genealogy is a flawed 'science' and it has lead to misidentifications and innocent people being wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit including in the Golden State Killer case where in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. Therefore because of this opinion my main sympathies are with the people who I believe have been wrongly accused of crimes through the use of investigative genetic genealogy and of course their families as well but the is any LE Officer in Kansas or elsewhere wants my opinion I would head the advice of this of this article because in the long run it may end up destroying their careers or at least tarnishing them. Here is part of the above report:

And we have plenty of local cold cases — unsolved murders, sexual assaults and child abductions — that linger in police files, waiting for a big break.

So it’s no wonder the Wichita Police Department is considering partnering with Gene by Gene, a Houston-based genetic testing company. Gene by Gene allows law enforcement agencies to submit DNA samples and lab data files and then queries its database — FamilyTreeDNA — for any matches that investigators could use to track down suspects or identify human remains.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/suzanne-perez/article239606068.html#storylink=cpy

I do not know who the offender was in these rapes in Georgia but I want to make a couple of points. Yesterday in my opinion we have again seen an innocent man Joseph DeAngelo in a courtroom suffering for crimes he did not commit because of the mistakes of LE and this has been going on for well over a year. In the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State I believe he is an innocent man wrongly convicted as an unjust legal process that was stacked against him because in my opinion information about the validity of the supposed DNA hit in his case and in other cases like the Golden State Killer case was not made available to his Defence after he pleaded not guilty. This in my opinion gave a legitimacy to the 'science' used by ParaBon Labs and investigative genetic genealogy that was not deserved. Yet after what I believe is this wrongful conviction of Mr Talbott we have seen the continued use of the same investigative genetic genealogy techniques by ParaBon Labs and this includes in this Georgia case where the accused man killed himself and this cannot be right:

Back in 2018, Senior Assistant District Attorney Theresa Schiefer, who is assigned to the Georgia Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (GASAKI) task force, received a request to look into the nearly 20-year-old cases from the Cold Case Unit. They were able to use $10,000 in funds from GASAKI to pay for the advanced genetic genealogy testing and solve the crime. “This is one of those cases that had been sitting in our cold case unit where I said do we have any fresh set of eyes, new testing, ” said Shiefer.

“In early 2019 the profile was obtained and submitted to Parabon NanoLabs, which used phenotyping to ascertain the physical appearance of the donor. Parabon also uploaded the DNA file to the public website GEDmatch.com and determined a potential ancestor of the rapist, then built the genetic tree forward, ultimately highlighting a possible suspect,” the press release detailed.

DNA solves Georgia rape cases, suspect found dead - Thenew Mag

Here is another report associated with a Georgia case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a possible suspect in a series of crimes. Again I know it is easy for me to say and I can not really totally understand but I am very sorry for all the victims of these serious crimes and their relatives:

Georgia cold case rape victim breaks silence after major breakthrough

Here is another report associated with a Georgia case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a possible suspect in a series of crimes. Again I know it is easy for me to say and I can not really totally understand but I am very sorry for all the victims of these serious crimes and their relatives:

Georgia cold case rape victim breaks silence after major breakthrough

As I say it is easy to say if you are lucky not be in their shoes but I care about the victims in these cases and care about them almost as much as CeCe Moore cares about and empathises with the crime victims in the cases she works on. However I ask that people who can just check for me and confirm the man who killed himself in this Georgia case was the actual offender in light of the fact I believe ParaBon Labs may have made mistakes in many of the case they have worked through the use of investigative genetic genealogy they do not understand the scientific flaws in and in my opinion this includes the case of Mr Talbott which was a wrongful conviction because the legitimacy of the supposed DNA was not challenged.

As I say it is easy to say if you are lucky not be in their shoes but I care about the victims in these cases and care about them almost as much as CeCe Moore cares about and empathises with the crime victims in the cases she works on. However I ask that people who can just check for me and confirm the man who killed himself in this Georgia case was the actual offender in light of the fact I believe ParaBon Labs may have made mistakes in many of the case they have worked through the use of investigative genetic genealogy they do not understand the scientific flaws in and in my opinion this includes the case of Mr Talbott which was a wrongful conviction because the legitimacy of the supposed DNA was not challenged.

Here is another recent interview with CeCe Moore Chief Genetic Genealogist and Chief Scientist at ParaBon Labs:

CeCe Moore is a genetic genealogist who has appeared on ABC’s 20/20, 60 Minutes, and for the PBS Television documentary series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates. She discusses DNA used in solving crimes, working on adoption and foundling cases, and how to start your own family search. Chris Sapphire from The Circle on Netflix, a reality show where contestants are isolated with their own apartments, and can only communicate to the other contestants via "The Circle", ostensibly a computer program which transcribes their messages into text as if in a social media app.

Ep - 222 - CECE MOORE FROM 20/20 AND FINDING YOUR ROOTS CHRIS SAPPHIRE FROM THE CIRCLE - Reality Life with Kate Casey | Lyssna här

It appears ParaBon Labs may have been involved in identifying the potential suspect in the recent Georgia rape case through investigative genetic genealogy:

Early last year, the DNA evidence was used by Parabon NanoLabs, which was able to determine a physical appearance using phenotyping, the release says. The lab also submitted the profile to a public DNA and genealogy research website and found a potential ancestor of the rapist, which in turn led to a possible suspect living in Arkansas.

Two investigators traveled to Arkansas last month and, with help from police there, executed a search warrant on 48-year-old Lorinzo Novoa Williams, collecting a DNA sample for comparison. Williams denied committing sexual assaults.

Georgia uses DNA sample and genealogy to solve 1999 rapes

Here is another recent interview with CeCe Moore Chief Genetic Genealogist and Chief Scientist at ParaBon Labs:

CeCe Moore is a genetic genealogist who has appeared on ABC’s 20/20, 60 Minutes, and for the PBS Television documentary series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates. She discusses DNA used in solving crimes, working on adoption and foundling cases, and how to start your own family search. Chris Sapphire from The Circle on Netflix, a reality show where contestants are isolated with their own apartments, and can only communicate to the other contestants via "The Circle", ostensibly a computer program which transcribes their messages into text as if in a social media app.

Ep - 222 - CECE MOORE FROM 20/20 AND FINDING YOUR ROOTS CHRIS SAPPHIRE FROM THE CIRCLE - Reality Life with Kate Casey | Lyssna här

It appears ParaBon Labs may have been involved in identifying the potential suspect in the recent Georgia rape case through investigative genetic genealogy:

Early last year, the DNA evidence was used by Parabon NanoLabs, which was able to determine a physical appearance using phenotyping, the release says. The lab also submitted the profile to a public DNA and genealogy research website and found a potential ancestor of the rapist, which in turn led to a possible suspect living in Arkansas.

Two investigators traveled to Arkansas last month and, with help from police there, executed a search warrant on 48-year-old Lorinzo Novoa Williams, collecting a DNA sample for comparison. Williams denied committing sexual assaults.

This report is from a while ago but here is another interesting report about investigative genetic genealogy and its use by CeCe Moore and ParaBon Labs:

Crime-scene DNA and a family tree aren’t enough to arrest or convict someone or even obtain a search warrant. “They can’t arrest on my word,” Ms. Moore emphasizes. Police therefore must collect fresh DNA from the suspect to confirm the genetic match. In one case Ms. Moore worked on, officers picked up a cup that had fallen out of the suspect’s truck. In the Christy Mirack case, Pennsylvania State Police went undercover at a school event where Mr. Rowe was performing and collected a piece of chewing gum he’d left behind. Last month, Mr. Rowe pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, rape and burglary and was sentenced to life in prison.

Parabon has been fielding dozens of requests from law-enforcement agencies across the country to crack cold cases, and breakthroughs are coming more rapidly as more people upload their data to GEDMatch. In January police in La Mesa, Calif., arrested a 39-year-old man suspected of a machete killing in 2006. A week earlier Parabon identified a suspect who allegedly assaulted two women in Mississippi in 1990.

Ms. Moore is optimistic that within a few years most cold cases will be solvable with public data. GEDMatch contains data from more than 1.2 million individuals and is adding 1,000 to 2,000 genetic profiles each day. A geneticist at MyHeritage figures that profiles from three million Americans of European descent could identify 90% of people within this demographic.

But GEDMatch’s expansion has raised privacy concerns, which were inflamed by Family Tree DNA’s decision last fall to provide the FBI with more than a million genetic profiles. By taking an ancestry test, you could unknowingly be incriminating a relative.

The Making of a DNA Detective – The Wall Street Journal – Geo Gen

As I have said on this thread in my opinion the first problem with investigative genetic genealogy is that it is a flawed 'science' that has lead to the misidentification of innocent men as the offenders in serious crime cases with all the negative consequences this has on those wrongly accused and their families. This is my opinion from the fact that I believe that a man called Ralph Leon Jackson was the actual offender in the Golden State Killer case and since this case it is my opinion that this same flawed investigative genetic genealogy has been used to wrongly accuse many other innocent men in other cases inspired by the Golden State Killer case. Here is a report about DNA data from a Washington Stare publication:

State could put limits on release of DNA data

Here another page with information about the Georgia rape cases where a potential suspect was identified through the use of investigative genetic genealogy and this potential suspect then killed themselves:

According to the International Society of Genetic Genealogists:

Genetic genealogy is the use of DNA testing in combination with traditional genealogical and historical records. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing together with documentary evidence to infer the relationship between individuals.

Between June and October of 1999 three women were raped in Cobb County within a three-mile radius spanning Smyrna and Marietta addresses in the Windy Hill Road area.

Genetic genealogy helps solve three Cobb rape cold cases - Cobb County Courier

Here appears to be the latest case where investigative genetic genealogy has been used to make an arrest in a case involving a dead infant:

Neither Davis nor the DA’s Office announced any additional information on the case which made headlines back in March 2007.

Representatives with the California Department of Justice and FBI will also be present. The FBI was sent the remains of the infant — discovered in a submerged shoebox by a fisherman — in 2007 hoping that any DNA information would be found to make an identification.

On March 29, 2007, the body of the infant boy was discovered by a fisherman in a waterway just east of the City of Woodland. The infant was identified in October 2019, although no formal announcement was made of that identification.

Suspect arrested in 2007 cold case of dead infant found in Woodland slough – Daily Democrat

Here is a list of cases from Wikipedia where investigative genetic genealogy has been used to identify to a possible offender in the crimes. As I have said it is my opinion that there may have been mistakes made because I do not believe it is as scientifically sound as its proponents present it as:

Law enforcement cases solved using genetic genealogy - ISOGG Wiki

There have been a very active, well financed campaign to get innocent people to upload their DNA in databases and then allow LE and their genealogists access to the genetic information in order that they can use it to attempt to solve very serious crimes. Of course crimes need to be solved victims get justice and criminals taken off the streets to protect all of us but the problem is in my opinion through the use of investigative genetic genealogy which is a flawed science LE have actually identified innocent people as potential suspects in serious crime cases by mistake. This in my opinion includes the Golden State Killer case where again in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson who although from Virginia served ten years in the military and was likely stationed at Mather Air Force base in the 1970s and this therefore makes the man who has been held for well over a year by Californian LE with deteriorating health innocent of the crimes in my opinion again. It is also my view that many of the mugshots at the Institute for DNA Justice's Website are actually of innocent people wrongly accused of crimes of they did not commit through the use of this scientifically flawed investigative genealogy that produces erroneous supposed DNA hits that are again in my view in reality non existent. Here is a report about investigative genetic genealogy:

People love a good cold case
California police used the genealogy website GEDmatch to check DNA from dozens of murders and rapes committed by the Golden State Killer from 1976 to 1986, leading to the arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo in April 2018.

DNA submissions to GEDmatch – a public source of user-submitted DNA profiles created to help genealogy hobbyists investigate their family trees – have steadily increased since, founder Curtis Rogers told me.

About a thousand new profiles are uploaded to GEDmatch every day, Rogers says. The site contains over 1.2 million user-submitted DNA kits.

Privacy concerns don't stop people from putting their DNA on the internet to help solve crimes

https://www.institutefordnajustice.org/:

I'M IN FOR JUSTICE!
If you're one of the 26 million Americans have taken a DNA test at Ancestry, 23andMe, or MyHeritage, you can help law enforcement solve cold cases, identify victims of violent crimes, put murders and rapists behind bars, bring justice to families, and help exonerate innocent suspects. BECOME A GENETIC WITNESS.

Please click on BOTH links below to upload your existing DNA profile into these family-matching databases for FREE. Thank you.

Last edited:
There have been a very active, well financed campaign to get innocent people to upload their DNA in databases and then allow LE and their genealogists access to the genetic information in order that they can use it to attempt to solve very serious crimes. Of course crimes need to be solved victims get justice and criminals taken off the streets to protect all of us but the problem is in my opinion through the use of investigative genetic genealogy which is a flawed science LE have actually identified innocent people as potential suspects in serious crime cases by mistake. This in my opinion includes the Golden State Killer case where again in my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson who although from Virginia served ten years in the military and was likely stationed at Mather Air Force base in the 1970s and this therefore makes the man who has been held for well over a year by Californian LE with deteriorating health innocent of the crimes in my opinion again. It is also my view that many of the mugshots at the Institute for DNA Justice's Website are actually of innocent people wrongly accused of crimes of they did not commit through the use of this scientifically flawed investigative genealogy that produces erroneous supposed DNA hits that are again in my view in reality non existent. Here is a report about investigative genetic genealogy:

People love a good cold case
California police used the genealogy website GEDmatch to check DNA from dozens of murders and rapes committed by the Golden State Killer from 1976 to 1986, leading to the arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo in April 2018.

DNA submissions to GEDmatch – a public source of user-submitted DNA profiles created to help genealogy hobbyists investigate their family trees – have steadily increased since, founder Curtis Rogers told me.

About a thousand new profiles are uploaded to GEDmatch every day, Rogers says. The site contains over 1.2 million user-submitted DNA kits.

Privacy concerns don't stop people from putting their DNA on the internet to help solve crimes

https://www.institutefordnajustice.org/:

I'M IN FOR JUSTICE!
If you're one of the 26 million Americans have taken a DNA test at Ancestry, 23andMe, or MyHeritage, you can help law enforcement solve cold cases, identify victims of violent crimes, put murders and rapists behind bars, bring justice to families, and help exonerate innocent suspects. BECOME A GENETIC WITNESS.

Please click on BOTH links below to upload your existing DNA profile into these family-matching databases for FREE. Thank you.

Part of the campaign to get to people to OPT IN has been the encouragement of innocent people to provide their DNA as 'genetic witnesses'. It is my opinion that one of these genetic witnesses had their DNA used to wrongly convict a relative in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State where an erroneous supposed DNA hit was generated by flawed investigative genetic genealogy but the scientific merits of this supposed and in my opinion non existent DNA hit was not challenged:

LANDMARK VERDICT:
MAN FOUND GUILTY IN A MURDER
MYSTERY CRACKED BY COUSIN'S DNA

https://www.institutefordnajustice.org/

Part of the campaign to get to people to OPT IN has been the encouragement of innocent people to provide their DNA as 'genetic witnesses'. It is my opinion that one of these genetic witnesses had their DNA used to wrongly convict a relative in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State where an erroneous supposed DNA hit was generated by flawed investigative genetic genealogy but the scientific merits of this supposed and in my opinion non existent DNA hit was not challenged:

LANDMARK VERDICT:
MAN FOUND GUILTY IN A MURDER
MYSTERY CRACKED BY COUSIN'S DNA

https://www.institutefordnajustice.org/

It is worth making the point that in my opinion many of these wrongly accused people have never entered their own DNA into any databases and have been wrongly accused through the genealogists using other peoples DNA to make their mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv