verdict watch 5/8/2013 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grits have no taste. I've added everything from honey, lemon, sugar, molasses, and I still can't like them.

They remind me of lumpy Wallpaper paste... I have honestly tried to like em since moving to the south.. but try as I may I can't eat em.. :moo: :moo:

Just an observation/question after reading on the sequence of events thread, hope this make sense.....
JA claims Travis knew she was coming, if this was true that she and Travis had spoken about her coming for a visit that would be part of her memory correct?
So why in her "fog" does she call Travis after she kills him to tell him she got lost, invites him to a play, etc?
Did the fog erase the memory of the invitation to his home?

Grits have no taste. I've added everything from honey, lemon, sugar, molasses, and I still can't like them.

I am a GirlRaisedInTheSouth and I HATE GRITS!!

The only time I can/could eat them is during a 3:00 a.m. drunk trip to a Waffle House when everybody is starving! (in my much younger days, of course)

I had this terrible dream last night that the jury had asked for the entire testimony of Alice LaViolette to be read back! Took me a few minutes to recover my senses after I awoke. ;)

On a more serious note, I think the more time that goes by, the more I am convinced we're not likely to see a first degree murder conviction. As much as I'd like the jury to see the evidence the way I do, I think they're hung up on a couple of things that Juan (whom I love and adore, BTW) could have hit harder in rebuttal and closing. To me, the "loose ends" are:

1 - I wish the prosecution had brought Chris Hughes to the stand on rebuttal to provide context for the e-mail that ALV 'interpreted' so selectively for the jury. Not only would it have redeemed the damage it did to TA, but it would have reinforced the idea that Jodi was a wacko and that TA's friends didn't trust her and were actively working to "rescue" him from her.

2 - I wish JM had spent more time arguing alternative murder scenarios and not wedded himself to one, emphasizing to the jury that it doesn't matter which weapon came first in the attack, and that they don't need to figure out what happened in that hallway -- only to conclude that the end result, TA's death, was part of Jodi's plan. In that regard, I wish he'd hammered more on the point that the evidence tells us that Jodi brought BOTH deadly weapons with her (TA owned a gun and at least one bullet, but no other ammo? No gun cleaning items or accessories? Ridiculous. No knife in the house was known to be missing, and none in the house matched his wounds). Even if she hadn't brought them with her, the amount of overkill and the fact that she didn't utilize the many opportunities to "escape" completely negates the idea of self-defense. As such, it doesn't matter which weapon she planned to, or did, use first. The plan and the result are still there, established beyond a reasonable doubt -- hence, premeditation.

3 - I wish JM had engaged in a more lengthy discussion to the effect that, "mistakes and messes don't negate premeditation." I have seen intelligent and thoughtful comments from people on this board, who are conversant with all of the evidence, who get hung up on this idea that "Jodi did a shoddy clean-up job, so it couldn't have been premeditated." A plan doesn't have to be fool-proof. It doesn't have to get carried out as intended. A killer doesn't have to do a "good job" in order to be guilty of murder 1. JM could have suggested that her original plan WAS for a "clean kill" in the shower that wouldn't have required a clean-up. Not only that, but Jodi actually DID do an incredibly good job of cleaning up, given the short time frame she had to work with. She spent hours in that house, had sex in at least 2 different locations and brutally slaughtered someone, and the only evidence she left behind was a couple of hairs, a single handprint, and a couple of partial footprints from shoes that can't be located/traced to her? (As for the camera -- I don't think she meant to throw it in the washer, and even if she did, it was a reasonable presumption that deleted photos from a camera washed in bleach were not going to be recoverable!!!) Seriously, not bad. O.J. left 100x more D.N.A. and physical evidence behind, and he was still acquitted.

I don't know what's going on in the jury room any more than anyone else, but I suspect that if they're hung up on some issues, these are likely suspects.

AZ lawyer answered this in the legal thread. you're right---they don't have transcripts.

Thanks! That's why I'm trying to look at all the numbered evidence they got. I remember some, but in his closing, IIRC, JM mentioned something about "The Secret" and that they'd get "to watch" it back there.
JM showed exerpts of the TV interview, but was the WHOLE show entered, or just the snippets?
Just those kinda things.
I'm thinking if the jury has all these shows, etc. to watch, and discuss, then that's a lot to swallow....no pun intended.

:twocents: fwiw :

While I understand that 13 hours to deliberate may not be long to discuss the evidence, etc, it is IMO because this case is a 'no brainer' -- the state clearly PROVED pre-meditated murder !

The evidence against Jodi is overwhelming and Mr. Martinez presented each and every point very succinctly !

I hope the jury is NOT hung-up on discussions about the IRRELEVANT bull that was brought into the trial by the DT -- such as Jodi's childhood, ex-bf's, religion, sex, etc etc etc ...

And I sure hope they are NOT hung-up on discussing Alyce, Samuels and that last so-called expert [can't remember his name] because ALL their testimony should be DISREGARDED ! :liar:

The defense was an EPIC FAIL with lie after lie after lie ... and should have absolutely NO credibility in their decision!

IF they go longer than today, I will really go :scared:

:moo:

I would think that if they agreed on premeditated 1st degree murder, they would have come back more quickly. I am wondering if there are jurors that are hung up on the evidence that shows that they were together that afternoon. There isn't enough evidence to prove that he didn't know she was coming and that he didn't let her in his house. Why didn't she sneak in and kill him once the roomies were gone? Why have contact with him and take pictures? I am wondering if some jurors think this was a crime of passion, and could be 2nd degree murder.

I, myself, think she had a Plan A and a Plan B. I think she went there to salvage the relationship. I do think he had kicked her to the curb and wanted to cut all ties with her. I think she raced over there with pictures and a check for the car payment in an effort to show she would try to get him back. I think Plan B was also thought out because she tried to avoid a paper trail by going over there because she knew if he didn't reciprocate, she would end his life so that she could move on to the next man. I think it is still premeditated, but some jurors might have difficulty with it because she initially wanted to gain his love back. JMO

I grew up in NYC and take my grits with butter, salt, and pepper.

Luv me some grits......but anyway, this seems like a very, very clean-cut M1 verdict in my mind & sensibilities. It's a no-brainer!

Please jurors ------> Justice for TA and the family.......TODAY!
:seeya:

Well; one thing is for certain we are all hungry! I'm not getting up to cook either, yesterday i made cream o celery soup and fresh garden salad and fresh cesasar dressing w roasted garlic. I was tired by the time I was done with it all! I will have that soup for breakfast if we don't shut up about it.
Hoping the jury isn't split or divided in some way. Jean's description of the two female jurors scares me senseless! *bites nails*

Seriously! I sat and watched all the jurors questions through out the night. This Jury has this. I'm not worried. :)

My television will NOT BE ON today! I have a stiff neck from turning my head 360, every time JC made a comment. :banghead:

LMAO Tulessa! Apparently JC thinks she is a human lie detector...I am going to have to speak to Janine Driver about this!!:floorlaugh:

MUSH???? Maybe we should move to the food thread? It's all Tex's fault?

Lol it IS am very sorry I added to that as well. couldn't help it; grits make me think of mush. Yes Mush. :blushing: It's really good if you like sweet cereal. Or Hot Cereals.

OK I'm just hopeful our Jurors have recharged their batteries, eaten slept and are ready to go. I finally slept in but not near as late as I usually do. Grrrrrr on this trial, cant imagine it could be a hung jury .....If there is dissension I need them to resolve it today.

Remember that the PS1 Jury didn't know they could fire their problem foreman that they chose.....

Just an observation/question after reading on the sequence of events thread, hope this make sense.....
JA claims Travis knew she was coming, if this was true that she and Travis had spoken about her coming for a visit that would be part of her memory correct?
So why in her "fog" does she call Travis after she kills him to tell him she got lost, invites him to a play, etc?
Did the fog erase the memory of the invitation to his home?

That is a really good point!

Very interesting read and a great way to WAIT...

Factors Affecting the Length of Time a Jury
Deliberates: Case Characteristics and Jury
Composition

http://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Jury_Composition/file/79e4150e18892d1e76.pdf.

"We examine the time it takes to reach a verdict (deliberation time) using a unique dataset on the
deliberation times of actual juries in criminal and civil cases. Duration model results indicate that case
complexity, the unanimity of verdicts and the process of voir dire affect deliberation times, whereas jury
size, prior juror experience and the gender composition of juries are not significant correlates. The
results shed empirical light on an important correlate of trial accuracy using real-world data, in contrast
to previous research that employed mock jury data."

day 4 of deliberations. Ended my lemon water fasting last night as I was feeling weak LOL. Today is a new day and although I'm still concerned the jury hasn't agreed on M1, I woke with a new faith. Even if there are a few hold outs on M1, I firmly believe that the others will NOT budge. There will be no acquittal, no manslaughter. That I do believe 100%. The people in there that believe her guilt will hang strong, I know it. Not that I want a hung jury but in my opinion, that's way better than the other options.

I feel like today something will happen, a note to the judge, a meeting, maybe to announce they need a push or help etc.

Did anyone see Deanna last night on Dr Drew and hear the baking cookies incident? Hmm, Jodi's version was a little different wasn't it? Why wouldn't Travis ask Jodi to look in on the dog and not drag Deanna who lived an hour away? Some "People" say Deanna is lying and they don't trust her blah blah blah. I believe her 100%. These are the kind of stories I wish the jury could hear. Also, how about all that twitter coming from Jodi. She is going to hang herself! That's ok by me....

I had this terrible dream last night that the jury had asked for the entire testimony of Alice LaViolette to be read back! Took me a few minutes to recover my senses after I awoke. ;)

On a more serious note, I think the more time that goes by, the more I am convinced we're not likely to see a first degree murder conviction. As much as I'd like the jury to see the evidence the way I do, I think they're hung up on a couple of things that Juan (whom I love and adore, BTW) could have hit harder in rebuttal and closing. To me, the "loose ends" are:

1 - I wish the prosecution had brought Chris Hughes to the stand on rebuttal to provide context for the e-mail that ALV 'interpreted' so selectively for the jury. Not only would it have redeemed the damage it did to TA, but it would have reinforced the idea that Jodi was a wacko and that TA's friends didn't trust her and were actively working to "rescue" him from her.

2 - I wish JM had spent more time arguing alternative murder scenarios and not wedded himself to one, emphasizing to the jury that it doesn't matter which weapon came first in the attack, and that they don't need to figure out what happened in that hallway -- only to conclude that the end result, TA's death, was part of Jodi's plan. In that regard, I wish he'd hammered more on the point that the evidence tells us that Jodi brought BOTH deadly weapons with her (TA owned a gun and at least one bullet, but no other ammo? No gun cleaning items or accessories? Ridiculous. No knife in the house was known to be missing, and none in the house matched his wounds). Even if she hadn't brought them with her, the amount of overkill and the fact that she didn't utilize the many opportunities to "escape" completely negates the idea of self-defense. As such, it doesn't matter which weapon she planned to, or did, use first. The plan and the result are still there, established beyond a reasonable doubt -- hence, premeditation.

3 - I wish JM had engaged in a more lengthy discussion to the effect that, "mistakes and messes don't negate premeditation." I have seen intelligent and thoughtful comments from people on this board, who are conversant with all of the evidence, who get hung up on this idea that "Jodi did a shoddy clean-up job, so it couldn't have been premeditated." A plan doesn't have to be fool-proof. It doesn't have to get carried out as intended. A killer doesn't have to do a "good job" in order to be guilty of murder 1. JM could have suggested that her original plan WAS for a "clean kill" in the shower that wouldn't have required a clean-up. Not only that, but Jodi actually DID do an incredibly good job of cleaning up, given the short time frame she had to work with. She spent hours in that house, had sex in at least 2 different locations and brutally slaughtered someone, and the only evidence she left behind was a couple of hairs, a single handprint, and a couple of partial footprints from shoes that can't be located/traced to her? (As for the camera -- I don't think she meant to throw it in the washer, and even if she did, it was a reasonable presumption that deleted photos from a camera washed in bleach were not going to be recoverable!!!) Seriously, not bad. O.J. left 100x more D.N.A. and physical evidence behind, and he was still acquitted.

I don't know what's going on in the jury room any more than anyone else, but I suspect that if they're hung up on some issues, these are likely suspects.

i thought he covered 2 and 3 just fine. as for chris, there's some reason they didn't use him. we just don't know what it was. i also wish he'd been given the opportunity to explain those emails.

Hey everyone, Good Morning :) do you all think this waiting for a verdict is worse than listening to JA on the stand with KN?

Green onions, bacon...

Grits are good...and yes I'll cook plenty :seeya:

After this conviction we are going to have a yearly reunion in Travis' honor and everyone will bring their favorite food to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcd115