Verdict Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Becky Holt loves reciting this number. This is also the same amount of time she and the DA's office had to imagine JLY taking the stand and having the opportunity to go for his jugular.

ONE THOUSAND, SIX HUNDRED, AND NINETY THREE DAYS

and they only questioned him for 55 min and most of it was about his affairs.
So people love this judge.

This judge was adamant this case move FAST FAST FAST FAST. Did it need to be THAT fast? Could 1 more week have made a difference? Or was the state's team just not clear on the most important evidence to bring forth and hammer on?

yep yep and another yep. when she said that's all i have my jaw hit the floor. not one question about the hotel stay, the trip, the clothing, the calls, nothing nada zilch.

Yea, Spivey was way too soft spoken.
He needed to show the jury he firmly was convinced JLY is a killer....he did not.

Like that big teddy bear detective in the cooper case. Was his name Daniels? Sorry, I am terrible with names. :( That's why I didn't and still don't understand why those who post here and were of the cooper is innocent opinion, took any remarks of mine personally. I truly don't. I don't recall being nasty or personal to anyone. Just couldn't understand the criticizm of that case in particular, because nothing in it stood out as any different from hundreds of other first degree murder cases I've followed over the years. If anything, the JLY case seemed way too fast IMO. For such a brutal crime, involving totally circumstantial evidence, it went by like the Indy 500 IMO. The Scott Peterson case took months, and had similar circumstantial evidence. Yet I don't recall anybody thinking that case dragged along?

Sorry, ramblings of a mad woman right now. :maddening::maddening:

I'm guessing Gessner isn't looking quite as bad right about now. You can't *RUSH* justice. Neither the prosecution nor the defense. Within reason, trials aren't like sports events, with certain time limits IMHO. Each side takes as long as it needs to present ALL the evidence. MOO MOO MOO

I am seeing the same criticism lodged against Judge Perry in the Casey Anthony trial. Seems he promised some jurors they would be done by July 4th since some expressed they had firm family committments at that time. Ain't likely to happen.

Look don't blame JS. And no JG looks same as he ever did. There are unfortunately things that happen in a jury room that no one can predict. Remember, most here are seasoned in following trials and bring to the table a multitude of viewpoints. After all, they were selected because they did not know anything about this case before the trial. What may be bothering them may not create doubt for us.

I do not believe a unanimous verdict will be reached. I think this is headed for retrial. If it were one or two hung up, possibly, but 6, I just don't see it happening.

ITA - at least with this jury. Sounds like they were 6/6 from the get-go, and never budged.
icon9.gif

Cases are often won or lost the moment a jury is selected.

The Cooper jury was unusual in how quickly and closely they bonded. It worked great because when it came time to deliberate they all worked well together as a team, asked for the evidence they wanted immediately, and I got the feeling they weren't going to allow themselves to hang. They worked through whatever issues they had to get to a unanimous decision that each person could feel comfortable about.

Cases are often won or lost the moment a jury is selected.

The Cooper jury was unusual in how quickly and closely they bonded. It worked great because when it came time to deliberate they all worked well together as a team, asked for the evidence they wanted immediately, and I got the feeling they weren't going to allow themselves to hang. They worked through whatever issues they had to get to a unanimous decision that each person could feel comfortable about.

Maybe all that time they spent in the jury room wasn't such a bad thing after all. :crazy:

Well, it's about time for lunch.

I wonder how long they'll go before they pass another note to the judge saying they're still hung...End of the day?

I think it is better if each juror is independent and comes to their own conclusion. However, the one thing that was so compelling about JY's involvement was his silence for so long. However, jurors could not use that against him. Then he failed to show up for civil suit and schemed out of doing a deposition (as opposed to BC). So, the only time he spoke was at trial. Apparently, he was more believable to them than most of us.

I would guess by the end of the day, they will pass the note back to him. I doubt seriously they are going to reach an agreement.

Curious if any long timers on websleuths remember any old cases with a split this big???? If so, how they turned out...any chance this jury will agree?

Look don't blame JS. And no JG looks same as he ever did. There are unfortunately things that happen in a jury room that no one can predict. Remember, most here are seasoned in following trials and bring to the table a multitude of viewpoints. After all, they were selected because they did not know anything about this case before the trial. What may be bothering them may not create doubt for us.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Judge Stephens made it clear from the get-go, this case would 'move along'. That's all well and good, but not to the detriment of all the witnesses and evidence being thoroughly introduced and examined, for how ever long and involved that takes. IMHO. This case had far too much circumstantial evidence to have moved this quickly, again, IMO. I've thought that right along. Where were certain witnesses, from JLY's other sister to other of Michelle's friends/family. How ever much and many it takes to come to the best understanding one can have of the case as a whole. Many of us wanted to know if anybody examined what Cas said on that tape. Many more questions I can't think of right now, as we are back in the court room.

Back in session. Jury indicated 1:30 for lunch. Judge is going to ask them for their progress. His intention is to let them deliberate until they reach a verdict.

Jury coming back in.

def closely watching jury come back in. IMO, watching their faces.

Judge asked for progress. can't hear answer......still at 6/6. He's not going to force them into making a decision. But he says they're obligated to TRY to come to a verdict. Asking if they're at an impasse. Not going to change.

Asking jury to go back and see if they agree with foreman, not reaching a verdict. :eek: he doesn't want to force them to stay if they aren't going to change.......discussing....................if they all believe no verdict, then he'll accept that and release them from further obligation in the matter. He thinks they're giving an honest attempt to reach a verdict.......jury back to jury room and asked to talk about if they can change their mind or not. If no, he'll let them go to lunch and release them. If they might be able to reach a verdict, he wants them to continue trying.....

Hopelessly divided? This is a new twist! Can Jason get parole until a new trial?

Jury going to decide if they will be able to arrive at a consensus.

I just hope CW decides to retry the case...

Assuming they remain hung, he will probably decide based on the final vote. If majority vote for guilty, but a few holdouts, chances would be better to win on retrial. And he would probably ask Meredith & Linda Fisher about their feelings as well.

It will be up to the Wake Co. District Attorney to make the decision to retry. Maybe we should start writing and calling him today.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of his office when he heard, "hung" and "6/6" - is there still a roof on the courthouse?? Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti