Verdict Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I don't offend anyone who is not so inclined, but I am saying a prayer that those two angels, Michelle & Rylan, will whisper the truth in the ears of the holdouts on that jury.

The one afternoon I was in court I couldn't see most of the jury but I could see 2 jurors. One was a younger man and my gut feel was that younger men on the jury would be less inclined to convict. I don't know if that's true or not, but when I looked at the one of them I didn't get a good feeling in my gut.

Just a side note while JS issues instructions for the forward progress time-line.

All of the attorneys at WC DA Office who are at the superior court level of rotation are excellent. I have one that I despise for his twisting of the law, but that doesn't make him a bad lawyer. It makes him unprofessional and unethical and if it were a defense attorney doing it, we would tear them to shreds. Behavior like that can lead to lengthy appeals and mistrials and possible miscarriage of justice if not reigned in carefully by seasoned professionals.

That having been said, I think this (proof in the juror vote as of now) trial is an example of what happens when the playing field is level, the evidence is debatable and the judge strong and neutral.

I know a lot of you aren't happy with the possible outcome, but I commend all of the players (officers of the court-wise) for having done an excellent job.

The only change I would have made was the cross of JY. I'm with the folks who think it was long in the planning. I think it was a miscalculation on several folks parts to not have that better prepared. However, I am not so sure the defense didn't A) plan it to be a bombshell and B) prepare him for it in a way that played to his chameleon strengths. I am not so sure a harsh cross would have helped. I'm not even sure enough was asked of him to provide for future impeachment by either side.

I do hope they carefully weigh the idea of charging him solely as an accomplice in the future to force everyone's hand.

My other thought is this jury has been unusually concerned about their privacy and safety. They were voicing concerns before they got the case to deliberate. I wonder if something that happened before spooked them?

Actually, the biggest problem I had was with Detective Spivey - IMO he totally blew it on the stand by not tying little pieces of evidence together to create an adequate picture for the jury. BH was somewhat guilty of this as well but Spivey should have poured out his 1,693 days of his life trying to solve this case. Sometimes you absolutely have to draw pictures and connect dots - it did not happen in this trial.

You are 100% correct, rc -- thanks for reminding us of that, too. Did we not bring up Spivey's testimony (till now) because it faded and we had nearly forgotten it? Did the jurors do the same? Good point.

I lost my connection, what happened?

JS sent them back in the jury room to discuss whether or not they all felt they would ever come to a unanimous decision. If they don't feel like they can, he's going to declare a mistrial and send them home.

Hung jury is better than a NG verdict. I don't blame the pros or judge either, I've been impressed with them, with the exception of the cross examination of JY on the stand.

After JY took the stand, Wade Smith commented that jurors always want to see the defendent on the stand, and he usually recommends it. It turns out that was a smart move by the defense in this case.

Still shaking my head... Can anyone else remember the last time Wake County had a hung jury or a NG verdict in a 1st degree murder case?

Curious if any long timers on websleuths remember any old cases with a split this big???? If so, how they turned out...any chance this jury will agree?

I remember Betty Broderick and the Menendez Bros. Similar splits first time around. Much better prosecutions on the second go, convictions resulting.

What is happening now? The camera is open and nothing is happening...are they waiting for something?

My other thought is this jury has been unusually concerned about their privacy and safety. They were voicing concerns before they got the case to deliberate. I wonder if something that happened before spooked them?

Great question!

Everyone is still in courtroom. Waiting for answer from jury, who are in juror' room deciding if they should keep trying or not.

What a nail biter!

:eek:
fran

Wow. Not sure what they told the judge but they're going to lunch.

They're going to continue trying to reach a verdict.

Jurors are not unanimous in whether they are deadlocked. Perhaps this jury can agree on nothing?

I came away from Spivey's testimony feeling like he was a shy puppy. I was not thrilled either by his testimony nor his demeanor.
Maybe I have too much hell in me but I just detest watching people with important testimony, positions, ...... anything..... not showing fire and passion in what they are doing. I just want to shake them. Again, maybe I'm the one with too much passion but good grief I let it show when I need to.
In my next life I'm going to be a prosecutor, I swear.

Oh, I so agree, NCEast -- JY was not charged with jaywalking....
icon9.gif

They are taking a lunch until 2:45 and then then coming back to deliberate more.

I didn't see that coming. I fully expected the jury to come in and say they didn't feel they could ever come to a unanimous decision, and that would be that. Yet another jaw-dropping moment when JS sent them to lunch instead of releasing them. This trial is giving me gray hairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOLLYMOORE73