WA WA - Cristina Ase, 61, Vancouver, 26 Mar 2024

Good catch to notice that!

Yet, this article says:
“Vancouver police say the last time someone heard from Ase was by phone call early Tuesday morning. They say that morning, they believe she left her apartment.”

I wonder who this “someone” is that received a phone call from her the early morning of her disappearance.

We’ve heard a text was received from her phone around 6:30, I believe, where it said she’d be late to work. But this article says “phone call”, which seems to imply a voice call, to my thinking. But, I don’t know. How would you interpret it?
It is weird that they say phone call and not text. I'm sure I've read text everywhere else. I'm going to tentatively hypothesize that that's a mistake, considering it was one of the early reports of her disappearance and all of the more recent stories call it a text.

Yet, this article says:
“Vancouver police say the last time someone heard from Ase was by phone call early Tuesday morning. They say that morning, they believe she left her apartment.”

I wonder who this “someone” is that received a phone call from her the early morning of her disappearance.

We’ve heard a text was received from her phone around 6:30, I believe, where it said she’d be late to work. But this article says “phone call”, which seems to imply a voice call, to my thinking. But, I don’t know. How would you interpret it?
This is just getting more and more odd. Her car def went over the river for a few hours....well, her phone did, anyway. And she had called in late a few other times as well...and her car was found back at her complex.

Someone has that on ring, they have to. We all have security cameras here, not all record though. The mexican resteraunt may have footage overlooking the complex too. The police office (not station) is only a block away from where she vanished.

Okay, what the heck??

• "Ase's cellphone shows she left her home in Vancouver at 6:34 a.m. on March 26" - so that's an hour later than originally reported
  • "the phone shows Ase took the Southeast Foster Road exit and drove a few blocks through residential neighborhoods before spending more than three hours in a neighborhood north of Glenwood Park"
  • "The police report also shows that Ase misled her husband and her employer on at least three other recent occasions"
  • "The report shares another new detail -- Ase's car was found back at her home in Vancouver, and there was residue of a cleaning product used on some surfaces of the interior."

I was thinking this might be a medical/mental breakdown and she's lost and confused somewhere (like the Michelle Reynolds case), but the fact that she misled her husband and employer previously, and the car had cleaning products in it makes me think that's not the situation at all. Now I really don't know what to think!

If the car had cleaning products, then the car was taken somewhere, with possibly a body in there…car got home, car was cleaned. I’m not thinking a stranger would bring the car back….or be able to pull that off…JMO

I was thinking this might be a medical/mental breakdown and she's lost and confused somewhere (like the Michelle Reynolds case), but the fact that she misled her husband and employer previously, and the car had cleaning products in it makes me think that's not the situation at all. Now I really don't know what to think!
Same here. My original thought was that something had happened to her at or near her home, but now that I know she went to this area previously *and* was hiding it from her husband and her employer, that's just... I don't know. If she went there willingly before, she probably went there willingly this time as well.

What could she have been doing in a residential neighborhood at that time of morning? My mind immediately goes to something like drugs, but who goes out and buys drugs before 7am? I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but I wouldn't have assumed most drug dealers were hard at work that early in the morning. Seems like it would have been a lot easier for her to stop and make an illicit purchase after work, when no misleading of bosses or husbands would be necessary. And would a drug dealer have had a motive to make her disappear? I guess it could be an accidental overdose kind of situation in which the person panics and wants to get rid of the evidence, so to speak. And I guess someone who really wanted to stay out of the spotlight might take the time to bring her car back home and wipe it down to remove any evidence they touched it.

An affair, perhaps? That would explain the appearance of sneaking around, and an affair partner could certainly have become violent if she wanted to break things off. They would probably want to get her car as far away from their home as possible if that were the case, and might very well take it back to her home and leave it after wiping it down.

Neither drugs nor affairs seem to be her style, based on everything I've read about her, but people are human and do sometimes make unwise choices. I don't mean any of this as victim blaming or victim-unfriendly thinking. She certainly didn't deserve whatever happened to her, no matter what she was up to. Just trying to wrap my head around what she could have been doing.

Oh, wow. If anyone can get find details of what other dates she was in the park during March, I'd appreciate knowing... I spent a couple hours hanging out there myself in March, catching Pokemon and playing with the grandchild. Didn't realize she'd gone to a park until I read the new article, and when I looked to see where it was... it was familiar!

We were there in the afternoon on a sunny day. It's a mellow neighborhood park that we happened upon while out looking for "different" playground. Multiple groups of parent with child(ren), no one that seemed concerning at all, though there were a couple of unhoused in the area... I chatted with more than one older female that day, including one of the unhoused.

Not sure why her coworkers are all "it's not an area she'd visit". It's right next to a school and seemed a very calm and peaceful neighborhood by my living-in-the-east-metro-area standards.

This new info of repeat visits to that park make it sound like she was there to visit someone. There's a convenience store at the corner of 92 & Flavel, I wonder if it has cameras?

Yet, this article says:

Yes, that is interesting. The timeline sounds somewhat confused, which seems to be the case in other situations where a spouse goes missing sometimes, leading to suspicions shall we say, closer to home! Oh, but now I just read post #20 by Hestias Fire about an article saying Cristina Ase had mislead work and her hubby before as to where she was going. So things are not as simple as they seem.

Last edited:
Is it possible that she wasn't the one driving her car those places that day? Could she have "disappeared" prior to that, then someone who harmed her took the car, made those stops, cleaned it, & returned the car? (Was the car returned to her house where it normally was or was it just close/nearby/in the area of where she lived but not at her house?)

If the previous days being late to work are true, I wonder what she said to her co-workers/friends there once she arrived? Car trouble? Other things?

Random musings on my part.

I know nothing of her or her situation or her relationships with those around her.

What I do know, from following missing person cases on WS is that there are patterns.

If she were a teenager with oppressive parents, sneaking out may be an impossibility. Instead she'd have to carve out careful minutes before school, say, without being TOO late for school.

If she were any number of women who find themselves in the horrible throes of controlling relationships and are taking timid steps toward separation, that heightened time where women can be at most risk, she might have developed a relationship on the side to rebuild courage. Introducing others into her dynamic. An angry spouse, the new paramour, the paramour wife if there is one, etc.

If she were like countless others who turn to an affair, she may have thought like many do that she'd kept it a well secret and was utterly unaware that fated morning that she'd been discovered....

But I have no way of knowing whether she's like any of those people.

I hope she can be found safe. And soon.

JMO

A few additional details in this article (BBM): Her car 'mysteriously showed back up': New details in case of missing Vancouver woman

"After leaving for work in her car on March 26 and going missing, Ase's car 'mysteriously' turned back up the next day. It was parked outside her apartment complex near her residence, according to the VPD search warrant."

"Detectives said there appeared to be a powdery white residue — like a cleaning agent — coating several surfaces on the interior. VPD seized the vehicle and swabbed it for evidence, collecting numerous swabs and "several apparent hairs."

A few additional details in this article (BBM): Her car 'mysteriously showed back up': New details in case of missing Vancouver woman

"After leaving for work in her car on March 26 and going missing, Ase's car 'mysteriously' turned back up the next day. It was parked outside her apartment complex near her residence, according to the VPD search warrant."

"Detectives said there appeared to be a powdery white residue — like a cleaning agent — coating several surfaces on the interior. VPD seized the vehicle and swabbed it for evidence, collecting numerous swabs and "several apparent hairs."
I want to know what entrance she used to go in and out of the complex. I am sure VPD is looking, that will literally tell them where to go for camera footage. I think there are two entrances to the complex....one on 7th street, the other around the corner which faces a wierd area where residential meets retail.

The hotel doesn't face the entrances, but if the car came or went to Mill Plain, Vs 7th st to Chkalov, it will 100 percent be on camera. The hotel, Investwest managment, on one side should have a ton of security cameras

"Authorities said Ase’s husband reported her missing that night after the Rose Linn Care Center told him she never showed up for her shift. Her coworkers also called authorities that day."

This makes it sound like the coworkers called law enforcement before reaching out to her husband. Does that strike anyone else as a little odd? I think I would try to call my employee's emergency contact to check on them before jumping right to calling the cops. Maybe they tried but couldn't reach him earlier?

"Ase’s 2013 dark gray RAV4 was mysteriously found outside her home a day after her disappearance. Investigators said they found a roll of duct tape and several hairs inside, according to a search warrant document released on April 9."

That made my heart sink. :(

"Officials also said “the rearview mirror was askew and there appeared to be a powdery white residue, like a cleaning agent, coating several surfaces on the interior.”

The rearview mirror being askew could indicate some kind of struggle took place in the vehicle? Or maybe the person who returned it to Cristina's apartment just managed to move it out of place while wiping the vehicle down.

"According to phone records, Ase left her Vancouver apartment for work on Tuesday, as her husband reported, just after 6:30 a.m."

The original reports were that she was last heard from when she left for work at 5:30, so this is quite a change. Were the original reports in error? Maybe she got up at 5:30 and spoke to her husband for a bit before he went back to sleep and then she left the house an hour later? That could account for her leaving at 6:30 but their last interaction being at 5:30.

I wonder... this may be far-fetched, but could someone have been blackmailing Cristina for something? I'm trying to think of scenarios that would lead to her going into that neighborhood multiple times, early in the morning, hiding it from her husband, and also allowing it to make her late for work, seemingly without much notice. I say without much notice because it seems to me that if she knew ahead of time that she needed to go to this mysterious location on a specific day, she could have planned ahead and told work she had an early doctor's appointment or something to explain her lateness rather than sending a text the day of.

“Ase’s 2013 dark gray RAV4 was mysteriously found outside her home a day after her disappearance. Investigators said they found a roll of duct tape and several hairs inside, according to a search warrant document released on April 9.

Officials also said “the rearview mirror was askew and there appeared to be a powdery white residue, like a cleaning agent, coating several surfaces on the interior.”

Search reveals new details in Vancouver woman’s ‘suspicious’ disappearance

aghast.gif

Eta: oh, @Hestia's Fire beat me to it! Same article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back