WA WA - Cristina Ase, 61, Vancouver, 26 Mar 2024

If you use those cleanser sponges (magic eraser I think they're called?), you don't have to douse the car in cleaning liquid to leave a film of residue. They look nice and shiny at first but after a few minutes the film develops.
I use magic erasers a lot and I’ve found with the name-brand ones, you have to keep both the sponge and the surface VERY wet or else the eraser will completely fall apart and leaves behind a ton of tiny little white pieces of sponge

(great value brand keeps in tact way better but that’s some off-topic unsolicited info lol)

so to your point. Say you didn’t have access to warm water and you had to use some type of cleaning spray to keep the sponge wet, maybe that Lysol bleach spray ? You would need a lot to keep the sponge from falling apart and That would behind a white film because you’re not rinsing off the sponge and surface with water.

I use magic erasers a lot and I’ve found with the name-brand ones, you have to keep both the sponge and the surface VERY wet or else the eraser will completely fall apart and leaves behind a ton of tiny little white pieces of sponge

(great value brand keeps in tact way better but that’s some off-topic unsolicited info lol)

so to your point. Say you didn’t have access to warm water and you had to use some type of cleaning spray to keep the sponge wet, maybe that Lysol bleach spray ? You would need a lot to keep the sponge from falling apart and That would behind a white film because you’re not rinsing off the sponge and surface with water.

Yes, that's more or less what I was thinking. I used a more generic general cleaner from Home Depot and it left a streaky white film.

IDK, I would think at this point LE would have said something/anything if they have something. IMO.
IMO VPD tends to keep things close to the vest until they make arrests (if that’s where this is going, who knows what’s happening). You can see an example of this with how they handled the Nikki Kuhnhausen case with early press even though they seemed to have an idea of what happened pretty fast (this isn’t the only example, but easier to track with how many articles were written). As a local it doesn’t surprise me at all that they’re being selective about what they release.

Thanks to @carbuff and @grannygates re newfangled “eraser” sponges

I didn’t realize how easy these are to apply without a lot or any liquid (even plain water) on hand while prone to leave behind a tell-tale streak of white in either case. Presumably this is the sloughed-off surface of the foam shed by friction, and not a solvent. Was this just what was on hand, presumed to be better at destroying latent evidence than a rag or sleeve, or misdirection by someone wanting to suggest a (certain) crime? If you’d want to avoid raising that issue, why not just make the car as difficult as possible to find?

I’m going to re-read the entire thread to find out, but I thought I’d ask again just in case I miss it: do we know all of the surfaces this residue was visible on? Seating (presumably fabric) but handles, steering wheel, stick shift? Front half of the cabin only? Lard help me if I missed any description of the trunk/boot.

We still do not know what the swabs and hairs have yielded.

What’s been intentionally made public about the state of the car and CA’s movements in the weeks prior to her disappearance is almost certainly not whole, complete, or exhaustive, but really does sound like an attempt, as you say above @grannygates, at provoking a POI, conspirator before or after the fact, or other reluctant witnesses. Her most vocal allies are co-workers, which almost certainly tells us something about her character, and perhaps her mingling of personal and professional spheres.

Last edited:

I didn’t realize how easy these are to apply without a lot or any liquid (even plain water) on hand while prone to leave behind a tell-tale streak of white in either case. Presumably this is the sloughed-off surface of the foam shed by friction, and not a solvent. Was this just what was on hand, presumed to be better at destroying latent evidence than a rag or sleeve, or misdirection by someone wanting to suggest a crime? If you’d want to avoid raising that issue, why not just make the car as difficult as possible to find?

I’m going to re-read the entire thread to find out, but I thought I’d ask again just in case I miss it: do we know all of the surfaces this residue was visible on? Seating (presumably fabric) but handles, steering wheel, stick shift? Front half of the cabin only? Lard help me if I missed any description of the trunk/boot.

We still do not know what the swabs and hairs have yielded.

What’s been intentionally made public about the state of the car and CA’s movements in the weeks prior to her disappearance is almost certainly not whole, complete, or exhaustive, but really does sound like an attempt, as you say above @grannygates, at provoking a POI, conspirator before or after the fact, or other reluctant witnesses. Her most vocal allies are co-workers, which almost certainly tells us something about her character, and perhaps her mingling of personal and professional spheres.
You know what! I just read over re: the white film and it doesn’t specify what “surfaces” exactly were covered by this film. For whatever reason I defaulted to assuming it would be the plasticy surfaces (dashboard, centre console etc) but it could just as well be the seats, floor, any sort of fabric surfaces as well! Which surfaces were cleaned and covered by this film could say what the point of this cleaning was. Was it trying to erase fingerprints or erase DNA ?

From the article:

The affidavit said the vehicle’s rear-view mirror was askew, and “there appeared to be a powdery white residue — like a cleaning agent — coating several surfaces on the interior.”

Re the vigil on April 26 posted by @grannygates, I wonder if the husband received a personal invitation this time, or has to discover it on Facebook for himself? I may be mistaken, but don’t believe he was invited to the first one.

Also interesting, missing date exactly one month before her birthday …

I didn’t realize how easy these are to apply without a lot or any liquid (even plain water) on hand while prone to leave behind a tell-tale streak of white in either case. Presumably this is the sloughed-off surface of the foam shed by friction, and not a solvent. Was this just what was on hand, presumed to be better at destroying latent evidence than a rag or sleeve, or misdirection by someone wanting to suggest a (certain) crime? If you’d want to avoid raising that issue, why not just make the car as difficult as possible to find?

(snipped)

I mean, no. It's not the kind of thing you would use to clean up evidence*. It's the kind of thing you grab out from under the kitchen sink to clean up where you splashed some of your coffee when you had to hit the brakes hard at a traffic light, or dropped your lipstick and have to wipe a smear off the console. It works better when moistened, but it's still pretty effective dry. It's small, about the size of a kitchen sponge (though they may make larger ones? I'm not sure.) Many people carry one in the car just for accidents like that.

*unless, as you say, you didn't have anything better or were in a hurry.

I mean, no. It's not the kind of thing you would use to clean up evidence*. It's the kind of thing you grab out from under the kitchen sink to clean up where you splashed some of your coffee when you had to hit the brakes hard at a traffic light, or dropped your lipstick and have to wipe a smear off the console. It works better when moistened, but it's still pretty effective dry. It's small, about the size of a kitchen sponge (though they may make larger ones? I'm not sure.) Many people carry one in the car just for accidents like that.

And not enough time to look back and see the residue forming.

I wonder what specific events the police have in mind when alluding to a spectrum that spans “serious crime” to “imminently dangerous medical emergency,” involving a car interior doused in cleaning liquid. I’m guessing this isn’t meant to be taken literally, that they know to some extent she has been victimized, and the “medical emergency” is improbable CYA hedging.
RSBM

I'm not sure, but I can think of a couple of cases when this phrasing was used, and after an arrest it was revealed there was evidence of a large quantity of blood, or the person's essential eyewear, phone and blood dropped next to a concealed parking spot (this same kind of evidence was called 'suspicion of foul play' in the recent kidnapping/ murders in Oklahoma)

IMO, LE usually under-state rather than over-state. They don't publicly jump to worst case, melodramatic scenarios, as long as there is any possibility of a better outcome.

JMO

Perhaps it was only part of what was used, a little detail LE are highlighting to hint to someone, without revealing everything: 'we know about your attempt to clean up.' But they want to keep the person guessing 'how much do they know, is it enough to charge me?'

JMO

Perhaps it was only part of what was used, a little detail LE are highlighting to hint to someone, without revealing everything: 'we know about your attempt to clean up.' But they want to keep the person guessing 'how much do they know, is it enough to charge me?'

JMO
Yes, LE being reticent or misleading is always a possibility...part of what makes it so hard to figure out.

The pronunciation is Az-leen, very similar. I was once gifted the opportunity to pick my god daughter's middle names, and this was what I chose. I have used it as a screen name for many years.

As for the part of town she went to...there is no reason for her to go to Portland to sell or obtain drugs, because it would be available within walking distance. Literally, just walk up to one of the zombie RV's on the back side of 7th street by Kaiser and you would be high. Portland is literally only 10 minutes away.

We have an epidemic of homeless, crime, meth and fetty addictions, and when covid hit, the homeless camps and criminals started to spread out, moving more and more east. Seven years ago her neighborhood here in Vancouver did not have the level of crime it has currently, that was when I moved. I used to live in the complex directly next to hers.
They need to reach out to the Al Angelo company, they own the complex, as well as a ton of other commercial and residential units in the area, some have to have video footage if that car actually left the parking lot

We don't know that it did, only that her phone did.

Honestly, it looks more and more like it is a DV situation, but I don't know that her spouse is the offender. But with the amount of women we lost to DV, I really hope VPD is on this. And I hope yesterday's officer involved shooting death doesn't over shadow her case. (They saved a lot of lives yesterday)
What happened on April 14th that you’re referring to? Was it in Portland or Vancouver? TIA

—-
“Amy Schauer and Nicole Oquist, who have worked with Ase for the past 15 years at the nursing home in West Linn, organized the vigil at Glenwood Park hoping that it would catch the attention of neighbors in the area who may have noticed something the day she vanished.”
—-
“Vancouver police stated they had no updates to share on the case Thursday, April 25.”
—-

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria_Falc
Back