WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I know what you are talking about, from the IE segment.

What I meant, was that Teddy "never" said that to us. Teddy never said, I don't fit the profile, nor did he ever call either of us, "my good man".

Believe it or not, he was silent. Sticking to his story that the FBI had called him 5 times that night.

Does it ever bother you how aware Himmy and Teddy-boy are that he doesn't fit the profile? Add to that that not only is the profile off, but so were both sketches. And the lead investigator not only etches the profile
in stone, but then carves out an upper ceiling to 55 years later. Why is it that H-B tries to median-ize Cooper's age at 47 when Flo said he was about 40. Given that an interview w/ either or both FA's would have revealed that he was balding, anyone 36 could look 40. Where did those sketches come from? Where did that profile come from, and why was it cemented?

No, according to the book, Teddy called in "out of sincere civic intentions".

When we had lunch with Himmy, he said, no, "ted called in because he didn't want us to think he was the hijacker".

And no light bulb. Straight to the Norjack elimination bin. When was the last time he called? Was this call ever mentioned in Himmy's book?

Teddy never did tell us that he phoned the FBI. Every single time, Teddy denied ever calling the FBI. His story to us, on five different occasions, is that the FBI called him, either 3, 4, or 5 times, depending upon which visit we are talking about.

Confirmed by the KOIN interview, where he said they called 3 times. This discrepancy needs to be on the agenda for the next interview.

You are correct. Why would someone have so many different stories related to that night. Also, FBI sources confirmed to us, that Teddy did in fact call the FBI that night, after Cooper had jumped, and before 10:15pm.

Again, was this in the book and did his superiors know about this? Did you ever notice Teddy's face at the end of the IE interview when he denies being Cooper? It's a little much in the facial English dept. My take is that
anyone telling the truth would never need to be that animated. And....talk about a lobster. That makes two!

Plus, anybody with any instincts, would smell a rat. You have a hijacking, a missing middle-aged man, and boom, two hours later, who calls, but a middle-aged man, with a criminal record for armed robbery, who is a skydiving instructor, and expert, and you don't put two and two together?

And anyone who knows Teddy at all knows he's a rat. If he were to ever attempt something like this it would figure that he'd have an "Air Tight Alibi", he's not stupid. This is why alibis need to be verified, like....uh...the logger's.

Even if HImmy didn't think Teddy was the man, he still should have asked him where he was, or thought about the possibility that he "planned" the heist. Maybe, just maybe, if Himmy called back any of the tipsters, they would have told him that Teddy had just lost his job, had his plane repossessed, lived by the airport, and was pissed at the FAA. Every single thing, that the FBI was looking for in a suspect.

Yes, and due diligence dictates that anyone associated with this needs to be looked into. This is procedure 101, or 01. And someone with a criminal record and a master sky diver, and middle aged calls the night of the heist and he's never even a suspect long enough to say "Rumplestillskin" ???

Somebody has "a lot of answering to do".
left

Yup....Sumpin' 'aint right here. Smells like......Red Lobster.

Old "D"

Does it ever bother you how aware Himmy and Teddy-boy are that he doesn't fit the profile? Add to that that not only is the profile off, but so were both sketches. And the lead investigator not only etches the profile
in stone, but then carves out an upper ceiling to 55 years later. Why is it that H-B tries to median-ize Cooper's age at 47 when Flo said he was about 40. Given that an interview w/ either or both FA's would have revealed that he was balding, anyone 36 could look 40. Where did those sketches come from? Where did that profile come from, and why was it cemented?

It bothers me, bigtime. First of all, why in the world would Himmy take Teddy's call that night? HE is in the middle of a huge case, and some local convicted skydiver calls him, two hours after the jump, and HImmy doesn't think it is unusual?

I have no idea where the Bing Crosby sketch came from. My guess is that the FBI hired a sketch artist.

Right, anybody who is balding, is going to look much older, than a man with a full head of hair. On top of it, he was already bald, and gray, by his mid-30's. Look at the photo on Wiki, the guy is only 38 in that picture. HE looks in his 40's to me. Thing is, Himmy "should" have known better. Plus, there are FBI agents, who were agents in charge of offices, who "swear" McCoy is Cooper, and he was only "29". So, you have other FBI agents, telling you, that maybe, you are estimating the age incorrectly. Yet, you continue to keep this range, with a median age of 47, with no known witnesses describing him as being that old. FS says 40. Then, again, one would have to interview them. IF we could find her, then Himmy could have easily hopped on a plane, and met her at one of her destinations. Why didn't he?

The question I have. How old did Himmy think Teddy was before this case? And how did he know? For example, if you had only met someone a few times, how would you know how old they were? and why would you care? So, it never occurred to Himmy that Teddy looked old for his age? Please.

old dominion said:
And no light bulb. Straight to the Norjack elimination bin. When was the last time he called? Was this call ever mentioned in Himmy's book?

I asked Himmy, and it appears that TEddy only called in once that night. As usual, Himmy didn't know the exact time. But, if you do the math, it was between 9:45, and 10:15pm. I asked Himmy if Teddy had called earlier in the night, and he said he didn't know.

Yes, that one call is in the book. From the information in Himmy's book, it is 100% crystal clear, that the call came at least 90 minutes after Cooper jumped. But, supposedly, Himmy didn't see the irony in this.

I asked Himmy if he thought it odd, that Teddy hadn't called earlier, and he said, "no". I said, didn't it strike you odd that Teddy asked for you personally, and HImmy said, "well, he didn't want us (the fbi), to think he was the hijacker". lol:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:

old dominion said:
Confirmed by the KOIN interview, where he said they called 3 times. This discrepancy needs to be on the agenda for the next interview.

Absolutely. Someone, needs to sit down, and interview Teddy, Himmy, and find out what "their" story is, today. Regardless, of what Teddy says, he has been "recorded", as saying, that he "never" called the FBI that night. Just look at the KOIN report.

old dominion said:
Again, was this in the book and did his superiors know about this? Did you ever notice Teddy's face at the end of the IE interview when he denies being Cooper? It's a little much in the facial English dept. My take is that
anyone telling the truth would never need to be that animated. And....talk about a lobster. That makes two!

IT was in the book, about Teddy calling. Very little else is said about Teddy, other, than he was used as a source to track down another suspect, who Himmy didn't have a name for. Incredibly, Teddy knew this guy, his name, and Himmy tracked down this suspect. IT appears, this other suspect, had a rock solid alibi, and was in jail the night of the Cooper caper. Small world. I wonder why Teddy hadn't given the FBI this guy's name as a potential suspect? I guess he didn't need the 25k.

I have no clue as to what Himmy's superiors knew, and when, or if they know it, to this day. I didn't ask Himmy about it, and wanted to make certain I got the information out of him, before, he became upset with the whole Teddy thing.

Yes, Teddy kind of gives it away, with his answers on IE. The laughing, about not being Cooper, and we want to sell more booksss. Then, laughing, and saying he isn't DB Cooper. Technically, he isn't lying. The name given, was Dan Cooper, not DB Cooper.

old dominion said:
And anyone who knows Teddy at all knows he's a rat. If he were to ever attempt something like this it would figure that he'd have an "Air Tight Alibi", he's not stupid. This is why alibis need to be verified, like....uh...the logger's.

Exactly. That is why originally, I thought that maybe Teddy had one of his friends, or brother, to call the FBI, pretending to be Teddy. But, when I found out that Teddy didn't call until two hours after Cooper jumped, I discounted that theory, since, Teddy doesn't have an alibi at all.

If a bank robbery occurs at 4pm, and you are sighted at a sporting event at 6pm, is it still possible that you robbed the bank? Absolutely. So, why wouldn't Himmy think the same in this case?

To this day, I just don't understand why HImmy would conclude that if a person calls two hours later it couldn't be them on that plane.

It borders on moronic. IT really does.

The million dollar question to HImmy. IF Teddy hadn't called that night, would you have asked him for an alibi for the time of 2pm-10pm, on the 24th?

old dominon said:
Yes, and due diligence dictates that anyone associated with this needs to be looked into. This is procedure 101, or 01. And someone with a criminal record and a master sky diver, and middle aged calls the night of the heist and he's never even a suspect long enough to say "Rumplestillskin" ???

Yup....Sumpin' 'aint right here. Smells like......Red Lobster.

Absolutely. I was watching "the getaway" with Steve McQueen last night, and it made me aware of this case. A guy, in jail for armed robbery, gets out, and makes a plan for a "big take", that will last a lifetime. Only thing, a dirty parole board superviser, is blackmailing him, and trying to set him up.

I do wonder, just what was going on in Portland back in '71. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, by any means, but, this case just doesnt' seem right. The guy never interviews the FA's, eliminates the most likely suspect, without any investigation, and refuses to consider him as a suspect. Why?

You spent at least a million dollars on this case, and you dont' have the intuition to ask the most likely suspect, where he was during the caper?

It just seems very odd. Even the worse cop in the country, would at least show a photo to the FA's. I don't know. Somebody has some explaining to do. IT is stubborness, stupidity, tunnel vision, laziness, not wanting to know, not qualified for the position, or the inability to think outside the box, or worse?

I just don't see how a rational person would not suspect Teddy. His mom, wife, neighbor, maybe, but, a professional FBI agent, never.

left

It bothers me, bigtime. First of all, why in the world would Himmy take Teddy's call that night? HE is in the middle of a huge case, and some local convicted skydiver calls him, two hours after the jump, and HImmy doesn't think it is unusual?

Exactly. But when was the last time (not that night) that Teddy had called Himmy for any reason, even to borrow a set of Golf clubs? Light bulb should go off. That's another question I'd sure like to see on another interview.

I have no idea where the Bing Crosby sketch came from. My guess is that the FBI hired a sketch artist.

My understanding from somewhere on the internet is that Der Bingle came from descriptions from the passengers, not necessarily even the FA's. It makes me wonder if they were even involved with the other sketch, after all how could you miss the balding and "bozo" crest?

The question I have. How old did Himmy think Teddy was before this case? And how did he know? For example, if you had only met someone a few times, how would you know how old they were? and why would you care? So, it never occurred to Himmy that Teddy looked old for his age? Please.

Yup, didn't he tell you Ted's exact age at the time of the heist in an attempt to disqualify him as a suspect? How could he do that if he never investigated him? He must therefore know him better than he lets on.

I asked Himmy, and it appears that TEddy only called in once that night. As usual, Himmy didn't know the exact time. But, if you do the math, it was between 9:45, and 10:15pm. I asked Himmy if Teddy had called earlier in the night, and he said he didn't know.

The question I have is did he call the bureau main line or the direct extension at Himmy's desk? Wouldn't change much, but would definitely
focus this a little.

I asked Himmy if he thought it odd, that Teddy hadn't called earlier, and he said, "no". I said, didn't it strike you odd that Teddy asked for you personally, and HImmy said, "well, he didn't want us (the fbi), to think he was the hijacker". lol:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:

Yes of course. So like a good puppet he doesn't ask any questions, he just dances to the pull of the strings. And he doesn't tell any lies because he's learned from an Italian puppet, and he doesn't want birds using his beak as a perch.

Yes, Teddy kind of gives it away, with his answers on IE. The laughing, about not being Cooper, and we want to sell more booksss. Then, laughing, and saying he isn't DB Cooper. Technically, he isn't lying. The name given, was Dan Cooper, not DB Cooper.

The question is, would that technicality allow him to pass a Poly? The answer is definately not, he knows who/what we're talking about. Besides, since both are fake names, and by and large only one has been used in connection with the heist since a particular article was written, I don't think there's a lot of wiggling room in the lobster tank.

The million dollar question to HImmy. IF Teddy hadn't called that night, would you have asked him for an alibi for the time of 2pm-10pm, on the 24th?

My guess....

Himmy: No because he doesn't fit the profile....My Good Man. And I don't want to waste the taxpayer's money. Besides, you can cover a lot more ground from the air in a Cessna.

Absolutely. I was watching "the getaway" with Steve McQueen last night, and it made me aware of this case. A guy, in jail for armed robbery, gets out, and makes a plan for a "big take", that will last a lifetime. Only thing, a dirty parole board superviser, is blackmailing him, and trying to set him up.

I haven't seen that film in a longtime. Funny that the bad guy is Virgil "the turk" Sollozzo from the original Godfather.

I just don't see how a rational person would not suspect Teddy. His mom, wife, neighbor, maybe, but, a professional FBI agent, never.

left

Well, I've got to believe that many people may have suspected Teddy right off the bat, even relatives and then they breathed a sigh of relief when he was never investigated. After all, his name was called in at least 12 times, and I doubt any of those calls came from relatives or friends.

OD

Exactly. But when was the last time (not that night) that Teddy had called Himmy for any reason, even to borrow a set of Golf clubs? Light bulb should go off. That's another question I'd sure like to see on another interview.

Right, and how did Teddy know that HImmy would even be working the case? I want to know the last time that Himmy and Teddy had either talked on the phone, or seen each other personally, before that night.

old dominion said:
My understanding from somewhere on the internet is that Der Bingle came from descriptions from the passengers, not necessarily even the FA's. It makes me wonder if they were even involved with the other sketch, after all how could you miss the balding and "bozo" crest?

Yes, I do wonder if that is true. The Mitchell kid never had any reason to stare at Cooper, nor did he know a hijacking had occurred. Not only that, but, he was moved to the front of the plane long before it landed. Just what kind of memory does he have?

We've said it before. Only 3 people that I value, as far as witnesses. Alice, Tina, and Flo.

old dominion said:
Yup, didn't he tell you Ted's exact age at the time of the heist in an attempt to disqualify him as a suspect? How could he do that if he never investigated him? He must therefore know him better than he lets on.

Yes, I do think that Himmy insinuated that Teddy was too young. But, I dont' remember if he knew Teddy's exact age or not. Himmy's main points, were that Teddy phoned in, it was his voice, he didn't sound like a guy who just hijacked a jet, and that Cooper was said to have "dark piercing eyes", like a person from India. And, that Teddy didn't smoke. Those were Himmy's main arguments, if I remember correctly. Oh, and that Himmy was under the impression that Teddy was "well off", and did the skydiving as a main source of income. Himmy was rather shocked when I told him that Teddy had in fact been a "truck driver", and lived across the street from the airport.

old dominion said:
The question I have is did he call the bureau main line or the direct extension at Himmy's desk? Wouldn't change much, but would definitely
focus this a little.

Don't know. I do know, that the phone call from Teddy was received at the Portland airport. Himmy was at the airport, when he received that call. My guess, is that the Portland office forwarded the call, or gave Teddy the number at the airport.

The biggest "red flag", is why couldn't Teddy simply relay his information to either the receptionist, or another agent, or have simply waited until the next day? Also, if it was so important, why wait until 10pm to call? And why would Teddy think the hijacker would be able to escape? Why didn't Teddy just wait until the jet landed in Reno, and if the hijacker was gone, then call the FBI? That call was made for one reason, and one reason only. To create an alibi.

I do know, that the phone call from Teddy was received at the Portland airport. Himmy was at the airport, when he received that call. My guess, is that the Portland office forwarded the call, or gave Teddy the number at the airport.

Now why would they ever want to do that? A non family member, non official person wants to speak to Himmy in the thick of a Skyjacking-that is still in progress- and he's transferred right over or given his whereabouts, or the phone number?

The biggest "red flag", is why couldn't Teddy simply relay his information to either the receptionist, or another agent, or have simply waited until the next day? Also, if it was so important, why wait until 10pm to call? And why would Teddy think the hijacker would be able to escape? Why didn't Teddy just wait until the jet landed in Reno, and if the hijacker was gone, then call the FBI? That call was made for one reason, and one reason only. To create an alibi.

It was important that Teddy speak to Himmy directly to quash any doubt by anyone, that he had a accomplice leave a message for an alibi. But why was he certain he'd be able to reach Himmy? No cell phones back then, why wouldn't happenstance have it on a busy night that Himmy left the building or was on his way back to the bureau or home , whereby he'd have never spoken to him? Did Himmy WAIT for the call?

OD

Now why would they ever want to do that? A non family member, non official person wants to speak to Himmy in the thick of a Skyjacking-that is still in progress- and he's transferred right over or given his whereabouts, or the phone number?

Right. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Don't forget, when teddy called Himmy, he had just returned from chasing the 727 in a Huey, that had a top speed of 110 knots. lol

So, how pursuasive was Teddy, that the operator, or receptionist, patched his call through to the Portland airport command center?

And why, didn't a seasoned agent smell a rat? And why, did Himmy spend 15 minutes on the phone, telling Teddy what he knew about the case, when a nutcase was on still loose?

old dominion said:
It was important that Teddy speak to Himmy directly to quash any doubt by anyone, that he had a accomplice leave a message for an alibi. But why was he certain he'd be able to reach Himmy? No cell phones back then, why wouldn't happenstance have it on a busy night that Himmy left the building or was on his way back to the bureau or home , whereby he'd have never spoken to him? Did Himmy WAIT for the call?

Don't know. I do know that Himmy stuck around the airport until 3am. Then, rose early, and was searching for Cooper in his Cessna by 9am. Don't forget, even if Himmy was in his FBI car, dispatch still could have radioed him about the call from Teddy. So, there was so some communication back then, but, obviously, not to the extent of today. Even today, FBI agents normally don't hand out their work numbers to acquaintances, or even friends.

During that call, Teddy filled Himmy's head with ideas, that the hijacker could not land uninjured, or know where he was before jumping, and that Teddy would not duplicate that jump for all the money in the world.

Sure, I'd say the same thing, if I just made a cool 200k, tax free.

Funny thing is, Teddy told IE the exact opposite story, saying he could make the jump, but that he wasn't smart enough to plan it.

left

And why, didn't a seasoned agent smell a rat? And why, did Himmy spend 15 minutes on the phone, telling Teddy what he knew about the case, when a nutcase was on still loose?

Isn't this a guy he supposedly had kicked out of the Portland Airport not too long ago? And this is the first time in who knows how long he's spoken to Teddy-boy and he immediately shares details of the case with him...on the phone? ????

During that call, Teddy filled Himmy's head with ideas, that the hijacker could not land uninjured, or know where he was before jumping, and that Teddy would not duplicate that jump for all the money in the world.

And he hasn't. Once was enough ;).

Funny thing is, Teddy told IE the exact opposite story, saying he could make the jump, but that he wasn't smart enough to plan it.

left

All the information he gave you in your interviews and he never wanted to speculate on where Cooper landed. Interesting.

OD

Isn't this a guy he supposedly had kicked out of the Portland Airport not too long ago? And this is the first time in who knows how long he's spoken to Teddy-boy and he immediately shares details of the case with him...on the phone? ????

Right. Himmy played a part in getting Teddy booted from the Aurora airport, and now, Teddy calls to offer his help. Hmmm?

I agree, it is suspicious, and moronic. Have you ever tried to get anyone in LE to share any information with you, about a case. It's called, "a need to know basis".

Then again, Himmy must have done this in the past, otherwise, how would Teddy even know he was an FBI agent?

I know people in LE, who will lie, and tell people they are telephone installers, etc, when in fact they are in LE. People in LE, usually don't want the world to know their secrets. There are many reasons. They include having neighbors keep on eye on you, waiting for you to break the law, relatives expecting you to be "free" security at wedding receptions, people afraid to become friendly with you, people wanting tickets fixed, etc.

Why Himmy went around town telling the world he is an FBI agent, is beyond me.

old dominion said:
And he hasn't. Once was enough ;).

Right. Kind of. Teddy told the McMinnville paper that he and his friends used to go the area where Cooper was thought to have jumped, and re-created the jump. Now, why all of the interest? Maybe, he was going to this area, looking for Cooper?

Another thing. Teddy mentioned doing this to the McMinnville paper. Yet, he never once mentioned looking for Cooper's remains in the forest, or scanning the forest in his Cessna looking for the loot.

IF you were a skydiver, and lived in Portland, wouldn't you try to figure out where Cooper jumped, and try and find his dead body, and the 200K? don't forget, the money wasn't found until 1980. Interesting.

old dominion said:
All the information he gave you in your interviews and he never wanted to speculate on where Cooper landed. Interesting.

Good point. Yet, like I mentioned earlier, he told the McMinnville paper that he used to go diving after the Cooper case, and the group of divers would duplicate the Cooper jump. So, where was this so called re-creation? By the Aerial Dam, further north, or really close to the location of the placard which was found in 1979? Could the re-creations have been an attempt to justify diving in the area, and looking for the 6k that was lost on the Columbia river?

BTW: The IE piece was run again tonight on Inside Edition.

left

Then again, Himmy must have done this in the past, otherwise, how would Teddy even know he was an FBI agent?

I'm still wondering just how well the two knew each other. I'm still thinking there may be more to this. Another thing that really bothers me is how relatively unfettered H-B was when confronted with Teddy's claim that the FBI called him 3 times. He should have stated emphatically that that was not true. He knows it's not true, there is no doubt about this. Why was he dancing on eggshells with that answer "he and I don't remember that the same way". What was he afraid to hurt Teddy's feelings? Or is there more to it? Together we stand.....or fall?

And why would Teddy deny ever knowing Himmy? He called and asked for him heist night '71 didn't he? What is going on here?

IF you were a skydiver, and lived in Portland, wouldn't you try to figure out where Cooper jumped, and try and find his dead body, and the 200K? don't forget, the money wasn't found until 1980. Interesting.

Hasn't Teddy publicly made no secret of the fact that he thinks (...knows :blushing: ..) that Cooper got away?

Good point. Yet, like I mentioned earlier, he told the McMinnville paper that he used to go diving after the Cooper case, and the group of divers would duplicate the Cooper jump. So, where was this so called re-creation? By the Aerial Dam, further north, or really close to the location of the placard which was found in 1979? Could the re-creations have been an attempt to justify diving in the area, and looking for the 6k that was lost on the Columbia river?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

OD

I'm still wondering just how well the two knew each other. I'm still thinking there may be more to this. Another thing that really bothers me is how relatively unfettered H-B was when confronted with Teddy's claim that the FBI called him 3 times. He should have stated emphatically that that was not true. He knows it's not true, there is no doubt about this. Why was he dancing on eggshells with that answer "he and I don't remember that the same way". What was he afraid to hurt Teddy's feelings? Or is there more to it? Together we stand.....or fall?

And why would Teddy deny ever knowing Himmy? He called and asked for him heist night '71 didn't he? What is going on here?

Great Point OD.

Any other agent, who had a 35 year old cold case, and found out that someone was lying about the specifics of that night, would have their interest "peaked" by such a statement. Especially, since, we told Himmy that Teddy could be Cooper. Plus, Himmy admitted that maybe Teddy planned it. So, excellent point, why didn't Himmy call Teddy on the phone, and say, what is going on here? Why didn't Himmy call the FBI in 2001, when we told him about our suspicions?

2nd part: You have an excellent memory:

Teddy told us, over and over again, and we have it "documented", with undeniable proof, that Teddy said he "never heard of Himmelsbach". Teddy said he doesn't know that name, nor did he call the FBI. So, why would an innocent man, not only lie about knowing Himmy, but, also lie about the FBI calling him? One answer, just look at the sketch and photo, at Wiki.

old dominion said:
Hasn't Teddy publicly made no secret of the fact that he thinks (...knows :blushing: ..) that Cooper got away?

Actually, before we spoke to Teddy about the case, I could not find any quotes from him about the heist. No interviews from 1971, nothing. IT was almost as if he was trying to avoid the press.

IF you owned a local skydiving school, wouldn't you have used the Cooper case to get on TV, or in the newspaper, and give your opinion about the jump? Wouldn't they help your business, to see your name, your company name, etc, on every station in the Portland area, not to mention national?

However, since we started talking to him, Teddy has made it clear that he "knows" Cooper made it. "That man had it planned to a "T"". How he knows this, is beyond me. Teddy also knows, that Cooper and McCoy are not the same person. Again, how does he know this. So, Teddy knows all of this, yet, he won't give us an idea of where he thinks Cooper jumped, or give the FBI any suspect names, and lies about knowing Himmy, and lies about the FBI calling him. Hmm. oh, and "heard", that Cooper was "gentle".

old dominion said:
I'm not sure what you mean here.

In the McMinnville article, Teddy mentions to the writer, that he and other skydivers would travel to the spot where the FBI believes Cooper jumped, and re-create the jump. I don't know if they rented a 727, or just used a Cessna, but, teddy states this in the newspaper article.

My point is simple. When Teddy called Himmy, he told Himmy the jump was impossible, and there is no way the hijacker could land uninjured. Now, if it was that dangerous, why is Teddy duplicating the jump with friends, just for kicks?

Also, why didn't Teddy try and figure out where Cooper jumped, and try to locate the dead man, and the loot. don't forget, he told Himmy back in 71, that Cooper probably landed injured, and that is why Himmy thinks that Cooper was injured, and died. Himmy got that from Teddy, and Teddy alone.

Also, I was kind of joking, and kind of serious. Maybe, just maybe, someone noticed the 6,000 missing, and needed a valid reason for jumping in that area, to see if maybe some of the money was lost during the landing. You know, returning to the scene of the crime? Plus, why is he jumping over the spot where Cooper is thought to have jumped, when he has his own school, his own airport, and his own plane?

On one hand, Teddy tries to act as if he doesn't know exactly how much money Cooper received (Teddy tried to tell us he thought the ransom was 100k, not 200k ,lol), then, we find out, that he is assisting with the investigation, had FBI agents to his school looking at his records, jumping at the scene of the crime, and we're suppose to believe he can't remember how much money Cooper got? BS.

left

Great Point OD.

Any other agent, who had a 35 year old cold case, and found out that someone was lying about the specifics of that night, would have their interest "peaked" by such a statement. Especially, since, we told Himmy that Teddy could be Cooper. Plus, Himmy admitted that maybe Teddy planned it. So, excellent point, why didn't Himmy call Teddy on the phone, and say, what is going on here? Why didn't Himmy call the FBI in 2001, when we told him about our suspicions?

Especially since the Himmy calling Teddy on that night would show some sort of friendship, not that it doesn't already the other way around, and that Himmy knew where he was since there were no cell phones back then. It's just that Himmy has no control over Teddy calling, but if Teddy has stated that Himmy called him, well...it would seem that that has to be corrected for the record. If Himmy doesn't know Teddy any better than one reckless flying incident years before why does he take his call in the thick of a skyjacking and then ask him his opinion? Any why on earth, as Teddy suggested, would Himmy call Teddy 3 times? He supposedly doesn't really know him that well. Doesn't make any sense. Teddy-Regardless of the "PROFILE"-should have been suspect numero uno the minute Peanut-boy got back to the office. No and if's or buts.

Andy why does Himmy tell you at lunch 2000 that Teddy called and said "I didn't want you to think I was the hijacker", and then on the IE segment he tells the American public, that he said "I know you're looking for skydivers and I just want to help any way I can"??? Seems like there's some PR going on here. Add to that that supposedly Teddy's opinion of what happened basically becomes Himmy's w/o consulting any other source? Watching the KX clip, the very next day both ground investigators interviewed concluded that the jacker survived the jump. Doesn't everyone get a second or third opinion just to be sure, especially if you're REALLY interested in solving the case? And even if the opinion is split 50/50, or hell even 20/80 you can't conclude that he didn't survive the jump, especially when there's no evidence to support it.

Teddy told us, over and over again, and we have it "documented", with undeniable proof, that Teddy said he "never heard of Himmelsbach". Teddy said he doesn't know that name, nor did he call the FBI. So, why would an innocent man, not only lie about knowing Himmy, but, also lie about the FBI calling him? One answer, just look at the sketch and photo, at Wiki.

Don't you wish you had brought a copy of Norjack with you? What would he have said then?

Speaking of Wiki, I sure wish UM had asked Mr. Cessna why neither FBI composite is accurate, why they would need to be redone, and why he never interviewed their other guest, Ms. Schaffner. I think those would have been a more than fair questions at the time. And of course the final Himmy question when the Coleman sketch was finished: "Look like anyone you know"? Boy would that be great to have today. Too bad it never happened.

Actually, before we spoke to Teddy about the case, I could not find any quotes from him about the heist. No interviews from 1971, nothing. IT was almost as if he was trying to avoid the press.

That's understandable. I really wonder if there are any unsolved Portland or vicinity area bank heists Teddy-boy could be good for, or maybe he just preferred chop-shopping planes. Gotta' wonder how many people looked everywhere for say a '62 Cessna carburetor, which wasn't made anymore at the time, and Teddy just happened to have one. ;) Where oh where did all those little pieces-parts go?

OD

Especially since the Himmy calling Teddy on that night would show some sort of friendship, not that it doesn't already the other way around, and that Himmy knew where he was since there were no cell phones back then. It's just that Himmy has no control over Teddy calling, but if Teddy has stated that Himmy called him, well...it would seem that that has to be corrected for the record. If Himmy doesn't know Teddy any better than one reckless flying incident years before why does he take his call in the thick of a skyjacking and then ask him his opinion? Any why on earth, as Teddy suggested, would Himmy call Teddy 3 times? He supposedly doesn't really know him that well. Doesn't make any sense. Teddy-Regardless of the "PROFILE"-should have been suspect numero uno the minute Peanut-boy got back to the office. No and if's or buts.

Absolutely. I do want to know, just how many times Himmy and Teddy saw each other, the first time they met, the last, and how many months before the heist, had Teddy and Himmy had a conversation.

FTR: Teddy claims that he doens't know Himmy, never heard of him, and the FBi called Teddy, either 3,4, or 5 times, depending upon which visit.

Teddy's story, is that the FBI called him at his school, the first time, looking for chutes. Teddy told them, he was worried he wasn't going to get them back, and told the FBI about Earl Cossey in Seattle.

Now, I called Earl Cossey, and he said, that his name came up from someone at Sea-tac, whom he had known prior to the hijacking. Cossey never mentioned Teddy's name, and had a whole different story. I never told Cossey that Teddy is telling us, that he gave the FBI his number, since, we didn't want to show our hand.

So, I asked Teddy, who in the FBI called you. What was their name. Teddy had no idea. I said, was it the Seattle, or FBI office. Teddy said he didnt' know.

Teddy then says, the FBi asked for a number that they could reach him, if they needed to speak with him again. According to Teddy, he gave the FBI his girlfriends number, and said, that he is going to dinner with his girlfriend, and they can call him at her place afterwards.

Now, how in the world does this sound like a guy interested in helping the FBI. Plus, how is it that the FBI called him 4 more times? It's almost impossible.

Teddy then says, the FBI called him, after Cooper jumped, and said, "he must have jumped", and Teddy said, well, if he could get the stairs down, then it would be a safe jump, but, I don't know if you can lower the stairs in flight on a 727. Kinda of sounds like Cooper. Since, he didn't know, and that is why he wanted the stairs lowered upon takeoff.

If you listen to teddy's story, it is total bs.

First, he never helped the FBI, or even offered to bring the chutes to the Portland airport, as a backup plan, just in case, the FBI couldn't get a hold of Cossey. How did Teddy know that Cossey would be in town, and have the necessary chutes? Maybe, the same way Cooper did.

Next, how could the FBi possibly have called him 5 times, if you figure it out. Once, before the plane lands, and then Teddy goes to dinner, and then, four times after dinner. Makes no sense.

And an FBI agent calls you five times, and you have no idea which office, or what his name is? Very hard to believe.

And on top of this, he lies, and says, he has never heard of Himmelsbach.

old dominion said:
Andy why does Himmy tell you at lunch 2000 that Teddy called and said "I didn't want you to think I was the hijacker", and then on the IE segment he tells the American public, that he said "I know you're looking for skydivers and I just want to help any way I can"??? Seems like there's some PR going on here. Add to that that supposedly Teddy's opinion of what happened basically becomes Himmy's w/o consulting any other source? Watching the KX clip, the very next day both ground investigators interviewed concluded that the jacker survived the jump. Doesn't everyone get a second or third opinion just to be sure, especially if you're REALLY interested in solving the case? And even if the opinion is split 50/50, or hell even 20/80 you can't conclude that he didn't survive the jump, especially when there's no evidence to support it.

Absolutely. Why didn't Himmy put in the book, that Teddy didn't want him to think he was the hijacker? Was he protecting that Teddy had a record, and didn't want to get sued? OR was he protecting Teddy?

You make a good point. Himmelsbach even mentions other skydivers in his book, who said, that the jump would be a piece of cake. Yet, Himmy, in his own little mind, decides that Cooper must have died.

Plus, when you are an investigator, you never assume anything. You always think, the criminal had everything planned, and made it to safety.

Especially, after McCoy, and others', proved it could be done, without any problem at all. Did McCoy have a limp, or an injury?

old dominion said:
Don't you wish you had brought a copy of Norjack with you? What would he have said then?

I brought the book, but purposely didn't show it to Teddy.

I didn't want him to gain any intelligence from us, nor, did I want him to know we knew he was lying. At any time, he could have shut down, and we would no longer have access to interviewing him. It was obvious, that Teddy had no clue as to the existence of Himmy's book, otherwise, he would have changed his story.imo

old dominion said:
Speaking of Wiki, I sure wish UM had asked Mr. Cessna why neither FBI composite is accurate, why they would need to be redone, and why he never interviewed their other guest, Ms. Schaffner. I think those would have been a more than fair questions at the time. And of course the final Himmy question when the Coleman sketch was finished: "Look like anyone you know"? Boy would that be great to have today. Too bad it never happened.

I agree. I wonder why one of the producers of UM, didn't fly FS to Portland, or Himmy to Missouri, and have all the parties together. It was probably to save money.

But, it would have been nice to ask FS, well, you know Ralph, right. And for her, to say, well, "no". I'd love to for that to be on tape.

On the other hand, didn't FS, think it was odd that she had never met the guy put in charge of solving this case? IF it was me, I would have demanded a meeting, and asked him why he hasn't solved the case.

old dominion said:
That's understandable. I really wonder if there are any unsolved Portland or vicinity area bank heists Teddy-boy could be good for, or maybe he just preferred chop-shopping planes. Gotta' wonder how many people looked everywhere for say a '62 Cessna carburetor, which wasn't made anymore at the time, and Teddy just happened to have one. ;) Where oh where did all those little pieces-parts go?

Good call.

I was looking at the FBI website, and they have released certain documents of this case, under the Freedom of Information Act. One bright agent, from San Diego, busted a guy for bank robbery, and forwarded his name to the Portland office, since this guy was known to have been in Portland in late 71.

So, the "smart" agents, were definitely looking for a suspect with a background in armed robbery, either banks, or otherwise.

I would like to know just how many unsolved bank robberies, stolen planes, etc, there are in the Northwest region during the late 60's, and 70's. One doesn't ususally get caught the first time around, nor, does one usually quit after getting caught.

Just look at the return rate to prison. Something like 70% of parolees, will be re-arrested within 3 years after being released from prison.

Think about this case. IF the judge in the armed robbery case, would have done his job, I can think of at least 10 hijackings that would have never occurred. If Cooper didn't open the door, there is no way, McCoy, or any of the other mental midgets would have duplicated that crime.

left

Good questions OD.

I never thought of that, but, why didn't UM ask Himmy why the FA's were not asked if they were happy with the original sketches.

think about it. A sketch must be way off, in order for a witness to come forward, and make such a bold statment.

I do wonder, why she waited so long to step forward, or if she just assumed the case would be solved soon, and it was a moot point.

Or, FS could simply have more confidence, and be willing to stand up to the other's, and FBI, and say, hey, the sketch is just not right.

Another thing. UM probably just assumed that HImmy had interviewed the FA's during the progression of the case.

I must say, that I have to pat myself on the back, for asking Himmy if he ever interviewed the FA's in person. Most people, would think this would be SOP, especially in the FBI.

Whoever heard of a case, in which the lead investigator never interviewed the main witnesses, personally.

Another good point, is to ask HImmy, hey, this guy look familar?

Whichever way one thinks about this case, it was obvious from 10pm on the 24th, that this case was simply not going to be solved, at least by the FBI.

left

Absolutely. I do want to know, just how many times Himmy and Teddy saw each other, the first time they met, the last, and how many months before the heist, had Teddy and Himmy had a conversation.

I've said it before, there's got to more to this. Just one plane/faa incident?...not so sure. "Never known Teddy to smoke....you?" Doesn't sound like one incident.

FTR: Teddy claims that he doens't know Himmy, never heard of him, and the FBi called Teddy, either 3,4, or 5 times, depending upon which visit.

Teddy's story, is that the FBI called him at his school, the first time, looking for chutes. Teddy told them, he was worried he wasn't going to get them back, and told the FBI about Earl Cossey in Seattle.

You no doubt realize the value of this. With this story, Teddy will *never* be able to write the "they called me/I called them" incident off as a "misunderstanding". A lesson in "never say more than you have to". ;)

So, I asked Teddy, who in the FBI called you. What was their name. Teddy had no idea. I said, was it the Seattle, or FBI office. Teddy said he didnt' know.

Teddy then says, the FBi asked for a number that they could reach him, if they needed to speak with him again. According to Teddy, he gave the FBI his girlfriends number, and said, that he is going to dinner with his girlfriend, and they can call him at her place afterwards.

This is another one for the next segment. I'd love to hear what H-B has to say about this one. The FBI keeps records.

You make a good point. Himmelsbach even mentions other skydivers in his book, who said, that the jump would be a piece of cake. Yet, Himmy, in his own little mind, decides that Cooper must have died.

Given the evidence this would be at least a triple decker "what if". Isn't that an FBI faux pas right out of Himmy's own mouth? He's got a real talent for being able to speak out of both sides at once.

I Brought the book, but purposely didn't show it to Teddy.

I didn't want him to gain any intelligence from us, nor, did I want him to know we knew he was lying. At any time, he could have shut down, and we would no longer have access to interviewing him. It was obvious, that Teddy had no clue as to the existence of Himmy's book, otherwise, he would have changed his story.imo

A very good call I must say. Very good!

I agree. I wonder why one of the producers of UM, didn't fly FS to Portland, or Himmy to Missouri, and have all the parties together. It was probably to save money.

But, it would have been nice to ask FS, well, you know Ralph, right. And for her, to say, well, "no". I'd love to for that to be on tape.

Agree, but they still could have asked the questions of each party. This is part of the problem with television, it's more geared towards entertainment than it is towards pragmatism. Regardless, w/o the UM segment we'd never have what I believe is the only composite that really counts. And that is another one of the peculiarities of this case.

I was looking at the FBI website, and they have released certain documents of this case, under the Freedom of Information Act. One bright agent, from San Diego, busted a guy for bank robbery, and forwarded his name to the Portland office, since this guy was known to have been in Portland in late 71. So, the "smart" agents, were definitely looking for a suspect with a background in armed robbery, either banks, or otherwise.

Interesting thing is that agent had his own case load, his own work to do and yet still cognizant of the value of sharing information with other branches in an attempt to help solve other unsolved cases. What would he think of an agent whose case this was, who rejected the most likely suspect w/o so much as kicking his tires?

If he knew what we know, what would he have to say...and I don't mean officially?

OD

I've said it before, there's got to more to this. Just one plane/faa incident?...not so sure. "Never known Teddy to smoke....you?" Doesn't sound like one incident.

Good point OD. Just how would Himmy know if Teddy smoked?

On the other hand, Himmy could have been covering his butt, in front of another FBI agent. But, if Himmy didn't look at Teddy,since he didn't think he smoked, then, we must order a CT scan on a particular part of the body.

old dominion said:
You no doubt realize the value of this. With this story, Teddy will *never* be able to write the "they called me/I called them" incident off as a "misunderstanding". A lesson in "never say more than you have to". ;)

Exactly. This is what happens when a good investigator actually does some investigating. You catch people in lies. Innocent people, have no reason to lie.

Plus, Himmy said it was never even discussed the possibility of trying to get chutes from Portland. Which makes sense. Part of Cooper's plan, was to make the window so small, that obtaining chutes from another city, would not be an issue.

Interesting quote from Himmy's book: Cooper was getting restless regarding the chutes: Captain Scott told ATC that Cooper is not buying that the chutes could be coming from another area. Hmm. Interesting.

Talk about a case, where a guy, had every angle covered.

old dominion said:
but they still could have asked the questions of each party. This is part of the problem with television, it's more geared towards entertainment than it is towards pragmatism. Regardless, w/o the UM segment we'd never have what I believe is the only composite that really counts. And that is another one of the peculiarities of this case.

Right, the shows simply want a soundbite, and move on.

wE need a show, that will spend 15 minutes, or an hour, explaining the case, and interview Teddy, and HImmy, and put the case together.

Regarding the UM sketch: I'm really the only one who noticed the UM sketch. I just happened to be watching tv, and caught the UM show. Very few media outlets even know about that sketch, or where it came from. If only AMW, would have run this story, may be we would have different results.

But, then again, the first time, that Teddy's name would have been called in, Himmy would have said, "no", we already eliminated him.

There is definitely a huge "hole" in the way the FBI investigates cases, especially cold cases. To not even re-consider someone who has been eliminated is ridiculous. Heck, Teddy was never even looked at, so, I don't even know how you can honestly say he was eliminated. Don't you have to at least know where someone lives, works, and their alibi, for the time of the crime, in order for them to be considered as eliminated?

old dominion said:
Interesting thing is that agent had his own case load, his own work to do and yet still cognizant of the value of sharing information with other branches in an attempt to help solve other unsolved cases. What would he think of an agent whose case this was, who rejected the most likely suspect w/o so much as kicking his tires?

If he knew what we know, what would he have to say...and I don't mean officially?

Right. This guy is obviously an excellent agent. Always thinking.

From what I've heard, the FBI is very much a "closed" organization, for obvious reasons.

In other words, cases are kept confidential, not only from people in the same office, but, from people in other offices.

There is a legitimate reason for this, to keep agents who are undercover safe, to prevent a mole from getting his hands on info. from cases in other offices, etc.

In addition, this only points at how ridiculous the McCoy books really is. Imagine, being a FBI agent, knowing you never worked the Cooper case, know nothing about it, never showed a photo of McCoy to FS, and you write a book claiming McCoy is Cooper, and many gullible people in the US buy it, based on the fact that a retired FBI agent co-wrote the book. IF only the people knew, that Callame never had anything to do with the Cooper case, just listen to his radio show with Rinehart. Heck, he didn't even know the dollar amount, the type of explosive, or any of the details.

left

G
Whichever way one thinks about this case, it was obvious from 10pm on the 24th, that this case was simply not going to be solved, at least by the FBI.

left

I agree, but is it for a different reason? WHAT GIVES LC?

OD

I agree, but is it for a different reason? WHAT GIVES LC?

OD

Well, it's obvious to me that Himmy eliminated Teddy immediately after receiving that phone call. For whatever reason.

Think about it. A middle aged man, hijacks a plane in Portland, and demands chutes at 3pm

From 3pm, until 8pm, not once, did Himmy even think about Teddy?

Not once, did Himmy think that, hey, maybe, Teddy knows where this guy might jump, or maybe Teddy trained the guy, and can help us identify him?

Himmy knew the only guy in POrtland who was a rigger, and had the only skydiving school in Portland. Yet, not once, did HImmy think about Teddy? What was he thinking about?

But, noooo, nothing. No foresight, no planning, no thinking ahead of what Cooper may chose to do once airborne.

Heck, Himmy admits to have flown V-23 in his own plane, before the heist, yet, he never thought ahead as to where Cooper may want to jump.

It never occurred to Himmy, to stake out the designated jumpsites along V-23, or Teddy's school which was along V-23, and was a designated dropzone, or the flat land around Toledo?

The Portland office, had to figure that just maybe Cooper would be flying south. Heck, he couldn't fly north or west, not very far at least.

So, why weren't preparations made, by trying to guess his next move?

Of course, the FBI couldn't predict the exact spot. But, if the Portland FBI had 100 agents on the case, why not put a car every 20 miles or so, along V-23, or I-5, or the roads in the area, and have them waiting for unusual traffic? or a tip from the public?

It just seems, that this entire case, was reactionary, instead of proactive.

And, I believe that Teddy, one way or another, was eliminated as Cooper, on the 24th, at 10pm. And once a certain person makes a decision, he doesn't seem to have the ability to reconsider, which is a huge problem, when your job is to investigate crimes.

left

Well, it's obvious to me that Himmy eliminated Teddy immediately after receiving that phone call. For whatever reason.

Think about it. A middle aged man, hijacks a plane in Portland, and demands chutes at 3pm

From 3pm, until 8pm, not once, did Himmy even think about Teddy?

Not possible. The chutes were req. at Sea-Tac, but the plane originated in Portland. Light bulb!!! Who else?? Oh I fogot, Himmy didn't know any skydivers, or at least none that would pull off a take over.....hmmm....suspended sentence for A/R in 71?? Naw....he's independently wealthy, Himmy outta' know he's never even looked into it.

Himmy knew the only guy in POrtland who was a rigger, and had the only skydiving school in Portland. Yet, not once, did HImmy think about Teddy? What was he thinking about?

Did you ask about this @ lunch 2k?

Of course, the FBI couldn't predict the exact spot. But, if the Portland FBI had 100 agents on the case, why not put a car every 20 miles or so, along V-23, or I-5, or the roads in the area, and have them waiting for unusual traffic? or a tip from the public?

Not a bad idea, but realistically I don't know that I wouldn't have guessed that he might in fact want to settle in refuge friendly Acapulco or Mex. city.

It just seems, that this entire case, was reactionary, instead of proactive.

And, I believe that Teddy, one way or another, was eliminated as Cooper, on the 24th, at 10pm. And once a certain person makes a decision, he doesn't seem to have the ability to reconsider, which is a huge problem, when your job is to investigate crimes.

left

I do believe that one area of "pro activity" was how H-B handled this case w/ superiors and was able to hang on as long as he did. I believe that he was VERY proactive WRT updates, ie memo's in inboxes etc (no email back then) informing superiors of all the "hard work" he's done and how it really looks like the Giffy' Pinchy' may be where Cooper is. Why wait for them to come calling on an update? Hell, his friends don't wait, they call in immediately so that no one thinks they're the perp ;). I'm guessing he put on quite a show as to just how hard he was working and how "far" he's come over the years in this case and that "replacing" him would be a mistake, and that he's "closer than ever" to solving this case. I believe that it's possible that with all the work and responsibilities of his superiors, they quite possibly bought stock in "peanut-man". It's known as a Wild Goose Chase.

Sound crazy? Take a look at this case!

OD

Not possible. The chutes were req. at Sea-Tac, but the plane originated in Portland. Light bulb!!! Who else?? Oh I fogot, Himmy didn't know any skydivers, or at least none that would pull off a take over.....hmmm....suspended sentence for A/R in 71?? Naw....he's independently wealthy, Himmy outta' know he's never even looked into it.

Right. Didn't Himmy ever think, hey, how did Cooper know the FBI would be able to get civilian chutes, the night before Thanksgiving.

It never occurred to Himmy, or the other's, to check out the phone calls Cossey had received prior to the hijacking, to see if anyone had asked him, or Lee Emrich, the owner of the skydiving school, if anyone had called in the past few days, to make certain they would be open that week.

Don't forget, we are talking about the pacific northwest, in late November, one of the coldest days, shortest days, and the most rain of any time of the year. Yet, Cooper somehow knew that the FBI would be able to get civilian parachutes, within a 90 minute window. Hmm. And people wonder why the FBI was so suspicious of Cossey. I asked Teddy about Cossey, and Teddy said, "no", it couldn't be him, he is just a little guy.

old dominion said:
Did you ask about this @ lunch 2k?

OD, this was only a two hour lunch. Himmy talked for 90 minutes, and by the time I mentioned Teddy, I was fortunate that HImmy even stuck around. HE was not happy. So, things happened quickly, not to mention, you have to be careful in your questioning, to avoid the interviewee from getting up and leaving. I was still getting over Himmy's answer that he didn't check out Teddy's alibi. I was 99% confident, that Himmy would laugh at us, and say, of course, I checked out his alibi, do I think I'm an idiot?

old dominion said:
Not a bad idea, but realistically I don't know that I wouldn't have guessed that he might in fact want to settle in refuge friendly Acapulco or Mex. city.

Don't forget, if Cooper really wanted to go to Mexico City, he could have diverted that plane to Reno, or San Fran, and picked up the chutes and money on the way. Instead, Cooper went in the opposite direction of his supposed destination, just, so he could jump where he did.

Plus, don't foget, Cooper wanted chutes, and the aftstairs down during the trip. So, while he could have jumped in Mexico, it seemed unlikely, given those requests, and diverting the plane to Seattle, instead of further south, or even Portland.

heck, I wonder why Cooper didn't just circle Portland, get chutes, money, and head south?:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: Didn't Portland have a dropzone, and a terrific master rigger, and a skydiving school? Plus, we know for a fact that the owner, and master rigger, was at his school, sitting around drinking beer. So, Cooper wasted an ideal situation. He could have been further south, and had the chutes at the airport much earlier, than in Seattle. PLus, the agent in charge in Portland, could have called someone he knew, and arranged for the chutes to be delivered to the airport. And here, I thought cooper had everything planned to a "t".

old dominion said:
I do believe that one area of "pro activity" was how H-B handled this case w/ superiors and was able to hang on as long as he did. I believe that he was VERY proactive WRT updates, ie memo's in inboxes etc (no email back then) informing superiors of all the "hard work" he's done and how it really looks like the Giffy' Pinchy' may be where Cooper is. Why wait for them to come calling on an update? Hell, his friends don't wait, they call in immediately so that no one thinks they're the perp ;). I'm guessing he put on quite a show as to just how hard he was working and how "far" he's come over the years in this case and that "replacing" him would be a mistake, and that he's "closer than ever" to solving this case. I believe that it's possible that with all the work and responsibilities of his superiors, they quite possibly bought stock in "peanut-man". It's known as a Wild Goose Chase.

Sound crazy? Take a look at this case!

I must admit, I'm sure Himmy had his superiors fooled as to his progress in the case.

thing is, why didn't his supervisor even once, say, well, what did the witnesses say regarding this, or that? Did Himmy have a superviser?

I still can't believe that he checks out a logger, with no criminal history, and won't check out a skydiver with an armed robbery conviction.

It really does go against everything they are taught at the academy about criminals being the best source of suspects in crimes.

left

Right. Didn't Himmy ever think, hey, how did Cooper know the FBI would be able to get civilian chutes, the night before Thanksgiving.

It never occurred to Himmy, or the other's, to check out the phone calls Cossey had received prior to the hijacking, to see if anyone had asked him, or Lee Emrich, the owner of the skydiving school, if anyone had called in the past few days, to make certain they would be open that week.

How on earth would he do that, when he can't even check the alibi of the most suspicious call(THAT HE TOOK) the night of the jacking?

OD, this was only a two hour lunch. Himmy talked for 90 minutes, and by the time I mentioned Teddy, I was fortunate that HImmy even stuck around. HE was not happy. So, things happened quickly, not to mention, you have to be careful in your questioning, to avoid the interviewee from getting up and leaving. I was still getting over Himmy's answer that he didn't check out Teddy's alibi. I was 99% confident, that Himmy would laugh at us, and say, of course, I checked out his alibi, do I think I'm an idiot?

Yeah, that's the big one. He's smart enough not to lie, but not checking is beyond credibility.

Don't forget, if Cooper really wanted to go to Mexico City, he could have diverted that plane to Reno, or San Fran, and picked up the chutes and money on the way. Instead, Cooper went in the opposite direction of his supposed destination, just, so he could jump where he did.

Plus, don't foget, Cooper wanted chutes, and the aftstairs down during the trip. So, while he could have jumped in Mexico, it seemed unlikely, given those requests, and diverting the plane to Seattle, instead of further south, or even Portland.

Yes but 20/20 hind is always "wiser". Let's just say he's as smart as he was, why not pull the same caper and the FBI exhausts unbelievable resources between Seattle and Port. only to find he's still on the jet at Reno and now wants the stairs back up. What now? Is he really going to Mex. Cty or will he bail at the next refueling hop and lower the stairs in flight? This could have been a "wise" plan if his real destination was the refuge friendly Mex Cty.

heck, I wonder why Cooper didn't just circle Portland, get chutes, money, and head south?:waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: Didn't Portland have a dropzone, and a terrific master rigger, and a skydiving school? Plus, we know for a fact that the owner, and master rigger, was at his school, sitting around drinking beer. So, Cooper wasted an ideal situation. He could have been further south, and had the chutes at the airport much earlier, than in Seattle. PLus, the agent in charge in Portland, could have called someone he knew, and arranged for the chutes to be delivered to the airport. And here, I thought cooper had everything planned to a "t".

Well, he didn't want to "waste" precious fuel w/o a destination. Besides, that Agent came w/ puppet strings, and word has it if you giggle them just right he'll do anything you want. Besides, he'll be exactly where you want after 9pm heist night (Airport) so you won't have any trouble finding him ;).

Old Dom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member