WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still find it incredible that a guy named 'L.D. Cooper' who worked at Boeing in Seattle at the time of the highjacking apparently never crossed the FBI's radar before now. Hello...?

I don't know why the FBI doesn't open up all their files on this case. I would want to know what things were done by the police back then. If this happened today (pretending it would even be possible) you would have computers that processed info instantly. If DB Cooper died, you would think in the weeks that followed, somewhere a family member or friend would file a police report for a missing person. Even if no one reported him, I think someone missed him and put two and two together back then. Of course he could be a complete loner so nobody missed him. You would think he had something left behind like abandoned property. But how would you ever do a search for missing people during that time frame now? Can't believe this was his first crime, but it would hardly seem logical that a person who robbed banks, or houses one day decides he wants to jump out of an airplane to get money. He had to be desperate for money or addicted to adventure. I would also think he made several flights in the weeks leading up to develop his plan. As I said in the first sentence, I would like to know all that the police/fbi know. There is probably some note written by some desk cop with a name given by a caller looking for their brother. or someone calling to say that sketch looks like their neighbor...lost and never followed up on.

I still find it incredible that a guy named 'L.D. Cooper' who worked at Boeing in Seattle at the time of the highjacking apparently never crossed the FBI's radar before now. Hello...?

the hijacker used the name Dan Cooper. Probably not even close to his real name. A reporter used the name DB Cooper and it stuck. LD Cooper could even be a woman. where is this name found?

I don't think a hijacker would use his real last name. The uncle does not look like DB Cooper. I doubt someone who carried off this crime would say, "I'm rich, I hijacked a plane" in front of an 8 yr old girl. Someone so careful not to leave fingerprints and took his empty matchbook cover with him is not going to tell an 8 yr old girl his crime. The neice has a book coming out....she may think DB Cooper is her uncle but I don't.

I agree. I was a kid back then, and many people made jokes about being db cooper for years that followed. Maybe an adult with a great imagination and a wish to be true remembers an innocent ribbing by an uncle when they were a child. 8 is really young..a few years earlier the uncle probably convinced her he got her nose..lol.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/ellis_william.html

I know this isn't DB. He's 5'6" where DB was taller. But I was searching for a match for an unidentified on the east coast and as soon as I clicked his picture I said "that looks like DB Cooper!" Then I saw that he went missing in Summer of '71.

Again, don't think it's him, but it is kind of a creepy likeness, no?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/ellis_william.html

I know this isn't DB. He's 5'6" where DB was taller. But I was searching for a match for an unidentified on the east coast and as soon as I clicked his picture I said "that looks like DB Cooper!" Then I saw that he went missing in Summer of '71.

Again, don't think it's him, but it is kind of a creepy likeness, no?

I think you are on the right track..dan cooper, db...if he died..must be missed by someone...hopefully they filed a missing persons and most likely it would have been filed the weeks leading up to or after the hijacking. i also tried a search of missing people but given the time frame, the vast majority are hand written in some unknown police dept if they even still exist. i would be curious to know what the police did back then, looking for missing people. Of course if he survived he was never missing.

40th anniversary of the highjack ransom caper was yesterday, 11.24. So one expects interesting announcements and possible progress.

FBI finds new evidence 40 years after America’s most elusive fugitive parachuted from a hijacked plane (Daily Mail)
---
But, on the 40th anniversary of the notorious skyjacking, new physical evidence the FBI believe could help them close in on the suspect, has emerged.
---
Tom Kaye the lead scientist in the private team said: 'One of the most notable particles that we’ve found, that had us the most excited, was titanium metal.'
---
So....why might this be of interest?
Titanium is now integral in numerous household items from golf clubs to cookware, but was very rare in at the time.
---
Kaye told the station: 'In 1971 there was a big upheaval in the titanium industry with the cancelling of the SST project, which happened to be at Boeing, and that laid a lot of people off in the industry. So Cooper could have been part of the fallout.'

Kaye said that the titanium is pure, not processed like the sort used in the manufacture of planes.

So the team believe he was probably not a Boeing worker but employed at a titanium production plant.
---
And this takes us closer to discovering Cooper's identity....exactly how??
'Because he wore a tie, we think he was an engineer or manager who went out on the shop floor regularly.'

The new leads could be instrumental, Kaye believes.

'Coming up with a profile that narrows him down to hundreds of people instead of millions we think is pretty significant,' he said.
the rest, along with pictures, at Mail link above

The original story from king5.com, with video:

40 years later, new evidence unveiled in DB Cooper case

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/No-fingerprints-found-on-item-in-D-B-Cooper-case-1684566.php

No fingerprints found on item in D.B. Cooper case
FBI says other names not public are being investigated
BY CASEY MCNERTHNEY, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF
Updated 09:36 p.m., Monday, August 1, 2011

...The name of a man not previously investigated was given to the FBI nearly a year ago by a law enforcement colleague, and an item that belongs to him was sent for fingerprint work at the agency's Quantico, Va., forensic lab, agents told seattlepi.com.

"The nature of the material was not good for prints," Gutt said.

He added agents are obtaining other items that may have the suspect's fingerprints in hopes of matching them with prints taken from the Northwest Orient plane after Cooper jumped the night of Nov. 24, 1971.

"It's a matter of vetting the information," Gutt said of the law enforcement lead. "Some of the vetting we have done, and it corroborated the initial lead."...

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...-in-D-B-Cooper-case-1684566.php#ixzz1f2gT1Rwo

I almost hate for them to solve it now. It is a legend that almost goes beyond reality, if the guy isn't alive there would be no prosecution and almost no reason for solving it now.

I almost hate for them to solve it now. It is a legend that almost goes beyond reality, if the guy isn't alive there would be no prosecution and almost no reason for solving it now.

I disagree, while I don't think it's high priority I'd love to know who it was.

And, germane to this thread and also on WS....

DB Cooper at 40: pure titanium & the clip-on tie

I guess we need some sort of D.B. Cooper omnibus thread, inclusive of all info - and there's been a relative glut of it this year. (If we don't have one already, which we may - there's at least one other.)

Great case - Dan Cooper, I imagine, fell to his death that night. As much as I don't want that to be the solution.

As big a mystery as the question of whether or not DB Cooper lived through that night, and as big a mystery as just exactly who DB Cooper was, to me there is a big mystery of all the men who have since claimed to be DB Cooper.

Why would you claim to be DB Cooper if you weren't? Esp. the guy who claimed it on his deathbed.

I guess we need some sort of D.B. Cooper omnibus thread, inclusive of all info - and there's been a relative glut of it this year. (If we don't have one already, which we may - there's at least one other.)

Great case - Dan Cooper, I imagine, fell to his death that night. As much as I don't want that to be the solution.

I was mystified when I couldn't find a DB Cooper forum, let alone a thread.

As big a mystery as the question of whether or not DB Cooper lived through that night, and as big a mystery as just exactly who DB Cooper was, to me there is a big mystery of all the men who have since claimed to be DB Cooper.

Why would you claim to be DB Cooper if you weren't? Esp. the guy who claimed it on his deathbed.

Fame, and the guy on his deathbed was probably doing it so his family could make money. JMO

I entered DB Cooper into the search engine here and nothing came up? :waitasec: Maybe a mod can merge them.

How'd you find those?

Let's see....I posted several times about the gal in Oklahoma City who says her uncle was D.B. Cooper, so I went with "Cooper Oklahoma City," and didn't find it but found the first two; and I remembered that one title I'd seen had the word "legend" in it so "Cooper legend." WS search engine a delicate beast at best of times.

The thing is, if he went missing in that time frame and if the family cared enough to file a report.... with DB Cooper's likeness being in the media after the highjacking wouldn't it be likely that they would see his likeness in the paper or TV and bring someone's attention to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member