WA WA - Floatplane crash into Puget Sound off Whidbey Island --9 passengers missing, 1 body recoverd in Mutiny Bay

Last edited:
I live here, why am I just now hearing about this? :confused:

I've NEVER trusted floatplanes and I'm not going to start now! Heck, I don't even like commercial planes...eek! So sad for all the lives lost.
Commerical is the safest way to travel in the world. Unless you want to trust drunk distracted people with 1 ton vehicles on the road.

I know it is, statistically...but I still have a HUGE fear of it. Flying is a nightmare for me.

FACT: 82% of Alaska communities depend on aviation for year-round access.

@Springrain -- fear of flying is actually normal and probably more common than you think. I'm very sorry you've been unable to overcome this fear but I encourage you to examine your triggers so that you can focus on them if/when you have to fly. I mostly hope that your next flight will be a better experience.

I'm from a long line of bush pilots that flocked to Alaska after World War I, and who played (and still play) a key role in developing the Alaska Territory both before and after it became a state in 1959.

Unlike your commercial flight where autopilot is engaged for around 98% of the time that the aircraft is airborne, you can trust those bush pilots-- including the seaplane pilot Jason Winters that lost his life here, must be extremely resourceful and skilled.

Jason was a longtime commercial pilot who had loved aviation since he helped wash and load seaplanes as a high schooler in Manson, Chelan County.

And since you're from "here" -- please visit the Museum of Flight! In addition to the great section honoring our bush pilots, they might be able to help you address your aerophobia.

The body of Spokane civil rights activist and journalist Sandy Williams has been recovered nearly a month after she was presumed dead in a floatplane crash near Whidbey Island, family confirmed Friday.

Six of the 10 victims of the crash have now been recovered, and five of those bodies have been identified, Island County Emergency Management said Friday afternoon. Williams’ brother, Rick Williams, confirmed that she was among those whose bodies had been found.

Deputy director Eric Brooks didn’t name the identified victims from the Labor Day weekend crash in Mutiny Bay and said the coroner would be meeting with victims’ families.

Williams’ partner, Patricia Hicks, was also on the plane, but it wasn’t clear Friday whether she is among those whose remains have been recovered.

I know it is, statistically...but I still have a HUGE fear of it. Flying is a nightmare for me.
I used to be an airline Captain and worked as an air crash investigator until about 10 or so years ago. I know driving is a LOT more dangerous but my husband always laughs at me when I'm in the back as a passenger as I'm the worst "whats that noise? - is that turbulence", I'm just a big baby when it comes to sitting in the back of a plane on vacation.

UPDATE -- 7 OF 10 BODIES HAVE NOW BEEN RECOVERED

1665172394379.png
Human remains that washed ashore in Clallam County on Sept. 16 have been identified as one of the 10 victims of the floatplane crash that went down near Whidbey Island on Sept. 4.

Clallam County Sheriff’s deputies were called to the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge after beachgoers found what appeared to be a female human torso.

The remains were found about 100 yards southwest of where the trail meet the beach.

[..]

On Friday, the Clallam County Coroner’s Office said it had received confirmation from the Washington State Patrol Crime Lab that the victim was identified as 66-year-old Patricia Ann Hicks of Spokane Valley.

Hicks’ family has been notified.

"Island County Emergency Management said the bodies of pilot Jason Winters, Sandra Williams, Ross Mickel, Luke Ludwig and Rebecca Ludwig have been found and identified. A seventh victim, Gabby Hanna, was found shortly after the crash in Mutiny Bay." Officials ID remains of 7 Whidbey Island floatplane crash victims

The body of Patricia Hicks was, as noted above, found washed ashore in Clallam County.

Three passengers (Joanne Mera, Lauren Hilty, and Remy Mickel) remain missing.

Remarkable.

I'm so pleased for the families. To recover every one of the bodies is an incredible feat. Peace, healing, comfort, and support to all.

Not all of the passengers have been found. Three are still missing.

The Seattle Times reports that the Federal Aviation Administration has issued an emergency airworthiness directive concerning Otter seaplanes. Released Tuesday, the directive warned of potential cracks and corrosion in a part called the elevator, a movable surface of the horizontal tail that controls the plane’s pitch.

The newspaper reported the warning was not the result of the investigation into the Sept. 4 crash off Whidbey Island.

According to the directive, federal officials received “multiple recent reports” of cracks in the elevator.

The sudden failure of the elevator can cause a plane to abruptly go nose-down, similar to witness reports of how last month's crash in the waters northwest of Seattle looked, said Douglas Wilson, a Seattle-based seaplane pilot and president of aviation consulting firm FBO Partners.
More at the link.

The FAA has issued an emergency airworthiness directive (AD) for owners and operators of de Havilland Canada DHC–3 Otters in response to multiple recent reports of cracks in the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar.

According to the AD, the FAA analysis of the reports indicates immediate AD action is warranted.

“The FAA is issuing this AD to detect and address cracks, corrosion, and previous repairs to the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar,” the AD continues. “The unsafe condition, if not addressed, could result in elevator flutter leading to elevator failure, with consequent loss of control of the airplane.”

The Seattle Times reports that the Federal Aviation Administration has issued an emergency airworthiness directive concerning Otter seaplanes. Released Tuesday, the directive warned of potential cracks and corrosion in a part called the elevator, a movable surface of the horizontal tail that controls the plane’s pitch.

The newspaper reported the warning was not the result of the investigation into the Sept. 4 crash off Whidbey Island.

According to the directive, federal officials received “multiple recent reports” of cracks in the elevator.

The sudden failure of the elevator can cause a plane to abruptly go nose-down, similar to witness reports of how last month's crash in the waters northwest of Seattle looked, said Douglas Wilson, a Seattle-based seaplane pilot and president of aviation consulting firm FBO Partners.
More at the link
If you read the history of the AD, corrosion in the elevator has been a concern which resulted in an A.D from Transport Canada back in 2018. I'm not going to comment beyond that but here is a link to the document from the FAA Dynamic Regulatory System (their library, so to speak). Dynamic Regulatory System

In part. I've altered some of the formatting to make it easier to read and snipped out some parts:

DATE: October 4, 2022
AD #: 2022-21-51
Emergency Airworthiness Directive (AD) 2022-21-51 is sent to owners and operators of
Viking Air Limited (type certificate previously held by Bombardier Inc. and de Havilland, Inc.)
Model DHC-3 airplanes.
Background
This Emergency AD was prompted by multiple recent reports of cracks in the left -hand
elevator auxiliary spar. The FAA’s analysis of these reports indicates that immediate AD action is warranted. The FAA is issuing this AD to detect and address cracks, corrosion, and previous repairs to the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar. The unsafe condition, if not addressed, could result in elevator flutter leading to elevator failure, with consequent loss of control of the airplane.

The FAA has coordinated this issue with Transport Canada, which is the aviation authority for
Canada. Transport Canada issued AD CF-2018-04, dated January 19, 2018 (Transport Canada AD CF-2018-04), which includes a requirement for inspecting elevator assemblies for corrosion. The FAA issued a notice of proposed rulemaking that published in the Federal Register on February 8, 2022 (87 FR 7059) in response to Transport Canada AD CF-2018-04, and is currently addressing comments.

As an interim action, the FAA is issuing this Emergency AD, as a result of the recent reports, to mandate an inspection of the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar and replacement if necessary.

FAA’s Determination
The FAA is issuing this AD because the agency has determined that an unsafe condition is
likely to exist or develop in other products of the same type design.

AD Requirements
This AD requires repetitive detailed visual inspections of the entire left-hand elevator
auxiliary spar for cracks, corrosion, and previous repairs, and depending on the findings, replacement of the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar. This AD also requires sending the inspection results to the FAA.

Interim Action
The FAA considers this AD to be an interim action. If final action is later identified, the FAA might consider further rulemaking.
<snip>
The FAA is issuing this AD under 49 U.S.C. Section 44701 according to the authority
delegated to me by the Administrator.
<snip>
(d) Subject
Joint Aircraft System Component (JASC) Code 5520, Elevator Structure.

(e) Unsafe Condition
This AD was prompted by multiple recent reports of cracks in the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar. The FAA’s analysis of these reports indicates that immediate AD action is warranted. The FAA is issuing this AD to detect and address cracks, corrosion, and previous repairs to the left-hand elevator auxiliary spar. The unsafe condition, if not addressed, could result in elevator flutter leading to elevator failure, with consequent loss of control of the airplane.
<snip>
(h) Inspection
(1) Within 10 hours time in service (TIS) or 3 days after receipt of this Emergency AD,
whichever occurs first, unless already done within the last 90 days, and thereafter at intervals not to exceed 110 hours TIS, remove the left-hand elevator tab from the elevator and perform a detailed visual inspection of the entire left-hand elevator auxiliary spar for cracks, corrosion, and previous repairs. For the purposes of this AD, structural reinforcements are not considered previous repairs.
(2) If any crack, corrosion beyond Level 1, or previous repair is found during any inspection required by this Emergency AD, before further flight, replace the left -hand elevator auxiliary spar.
<snip>
(k) Related Information
For further information about this AD, contact: James Delisio, Continued Operational Safety Program Manager, COS Program Management Section, Operational Safety Branch, FAA, 1600 Stewart Avenue, Westbury, NY 11590; phone: (516) 228-7300; email: 9-avs-nyaco-cos@faa.gov.

New story about a possible cause of the crash: New report indicates what may have caused floatplane crash that killed 10 people near Whidbey Island

"According to a report released Oct. 24 by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), investigators are focused on a key part of the plane's pitch control system, which allows the pilot to steer the plane up or down. They found the components of the horizontal stabilizer actuator - a barrel-like mechanism in the tail of the aircraft - had separated."

New story about a possible cause of the crash: New report indicates what may have caused floatplane crash that killed 10 people near Whidbey Island

"According to a report released Oct. 24 by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), investigators are focused on a key part of the plane's pitch control system, which allows the pilot to steer the plane up or down. They found the components of the horizontal stabilizer actuator - a barrel-like mechanism in the tail of the aircraft - had separated."
Good warning for other operators but heartbreaking to know 10 lost their lives most likely over a jack screw that appears to have drilled holes too small to properly fit the lock ring. Explains the nose dive and trust all understand there was nothing (Pilot) Jason could do. :(

1666783128382.png

8/24/23

Representatives for eight of the nine passengers killed in the seaplane crash off Whidbey Island are suing the flight’s charter operator and aircraft manufacturer, saying they are responsible for the victims’ deaths.

The three lawsuits, filed Tuesday in King County Superior Court, name Northwest Seaplanes and De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, among other aviation entities, as defendants. The single-engine De Havilland Canada DHC-3 Turbine Otter that crashed was owned by Northwest Seaplanes and operated by Friday Harbor Seaplanes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back