WA WA - Heidi Peterson, 4, Seattle, 21 Feb 1974

I remember this case vividly as a 10 year old kid in Seattle at that time, and never quite understood why, after being in the media for so long and so continuously, it suddenly dropped off the radar. So I did some research into the newspaper archives of the Seattle TImes and found an article from Sept 20, 1975. A suspect was identified "early in the case" and police and prosecutors were trying to build a case against the suspect and gathering information about the suspect, however there was not enough evidence according to the article, to bring charges. Remember this was in the dark ages of forensic science in crime investigations. Nothing was ever mentioned again directly about the case.
My own gut feeling is that the police knew who did it, didn't have enough evidence, and over time the case was put in a back file and forgotten. <modsnip>
So there was a prime suspect, who that suspect might have been and why the case against the suspect never proceeded, only the Seattle Police Department and the King County Prosecutor's Office can answer.
Yes, they know. Just not enough evidence.

I was seven years old at the time my family moved to Wa from Cali in March 74'. I remember her disappearance was big news story. Then I was pretty much shielded from the news when she was found. I never knew her case hasn't been solved all this time.

What can we say about this?

" I did find the body of kidnap victim Heidi Peterson -- told detectives exactly where to find her on February 6th. I was exactly one year early! I got a call on that date a year later from the detective telling me that I was right after all. "

THis is from Ann Rule´s files. It says there were no clothes.

"When 5-year-old Heidi Peterson vanished in a matter of a few minutes from the sidewalk in front of her house in February 1974, Seattle's heart broke. No child could disappear so fast, but Heidi had. Police and volunteers combed the neighborhood. I remember riding all night with a K9 unit, hoping desperately that the German shepherd accompanying us would help us find her.

But we couldn't find Heidi along her tree-lined block of comfortable Dutch Colonial homes with children's tricycles and bikes on their porches. I remember that it was raining hard and the thought of one little girl lost somewhere close to us was frightening.

There were rumors and tips. Someone said they had heard a child screaming in a house one street over. But when detectives investigated, there was no indication that Heidi had ever been there.

It was the next winter when the snows came before anyone knew where Heidi was. On the corner a half block south of her house there was a vacant lot where wild blackberries had towered eight feet or more over the ground for years. But this snow was heavy enough to make the vines break and flatten to the earth. Heidi's skull was there, and the fractures in it showed the cause of her death--bludgeoning with some heavy object. There was no other evidence left. No clothes. No weapon. Nothing at all that the killer might have left behind.

The homicide investigators continued to check residents in an ever-widening circle with Heidi's house in the center. They found men with records for sexual crimes and younger men whose answers to their questions didn't
quite add up. They had a suspect in mind, but they could never link him to Heidi's murder.

One of the things detectives count on is that even the most secretive murderer usually has to tell someone, either to brag about what he has done or because he feels guilty and is compelled to talk. Allegedly, Heidi Peterson's killer told the woman in his life, and when they broke up, she told someone else. Eventually, word reached Seattle detectives. They were sure they knew the killer's name.

They looked beneath a house where the suspect said he had left evidence, but too much time had passed. It was gone. They could not arrest him.

Heidi's case is a classic example of a case closed "Exceptional." But someday the person who killed her will pay for the horrendous crime against her. One way or the other."

THis is from Ann Rule´s files. It says there were no clothes.

"When 5-year-old Heidi Peterson vanished in a matter of a few minutes from the sidewalk in front of her house in February 1974, Seattle's heart broke. No child could disappear so fast, but Heidi had. Police and volunteers combed the neighborhood. I remember riding all night with a K9 unit, hoping desperately that the German shepherd accompanying us would help us find her.

But we couldn't find Heidi along her tree-lined block of comfortable Dutch Colonial homes with children's tricycles and bikes on their porches. I remember that it was raining hard and the thought of one little girl lost somewhere close to us was frightening.

There were rumors and tips. Someone said they had heard a child screaming in a house one street over. But when detectives investigated, there was no indication that Heidi had ever been there.

It was the next winter when the snows came before anyone knew where Heidi was. On the corner a half block south of her house there was a vacant lot where wild blackberries had towered eight feet or more over the ground for years. But this snow was heavy enough to make the vines break and flatten to the earth. Heidi's skull was there, and the fractures in it showed the cause of her death--bludgeoning with some heavy object. There was no other evidence left. No clothes. No weapon. Nothing at all that the killer might have left behind.

The homicide investigators continued to check residents in an ever-widening circle with Heidi's house in the center. They found men with records for sexual crimes and younger men whose answers to their questions didn't
quite add up. They had a suspect in mind, but they could never link him to Heidi's murder.

One of the things detectives count on is that even the most secretive murderer usually has to tell someone, either to brag about what he has done or because he feels guilty and is compelled to talk. Allegedly, Heidi Peterson's killer told the woman in his life, and when they broke up, she told someone else. Eventually, word reached Seattle detectives. They were sure they knew the killer's name.

They looked beneath a house where the suspect said he had left evidence, but too much time had passed. It was gone. They could not arrest him.

Heidi's case is a classic example of a case closed "Exceptional." But someday the person who killed her will pay for the horrendous crime against her. One way or the other."
I can't see how her body could possibly have been there all along just covered with blackberry bushes. The dogs would have found her and if not there would have been a decomposition smell.

What can we say about this?

" I did find the body of kidnap victim Heidi Peterson -- told detectives exactly where to find her on February 6th. I was exactly one year early! I got a call on that date a year later from the detective telling me that I was right after all. "
I would need documentation to believe this. Anyone can say they knew something a year in advance. If that were true he could have just gone there himself. I think there are some genuine psychics and a lot of fakes.

I can't see how her body could possibly have been there all along just covered with blackberry bushes. The dogs would have found her and if not there would have been a decomposition smell.
What is your theory?
They buried her elsewhere, their crawl space? Basement? And then dumped the bones later?

I was seven years old at the time my family moved to Wa from Cali in March 74'. I remember her disappearance was big news story. Then I was pretty much shielded from the news when she was found. I never knew her case hasn't been solved all this time.
I was 10 and I remembere everything changed in that moment. It no longer felt safe to play outside without parent supervision. Whoever these or this person is I pray he / they get caught.
The Ann Rule book, that someone recently posted on here is quite revealing. Sounds like it’s someone or more than one that lives in the neighborhood. Younger men/teen boys perhaps?

I was 10 and I remembere everything changed in that moment. It no longer felt safe to play outside without parent supervision. Whoever these or this person is I pray he / they get caught.
The Ann Rule book, that someone recently posted on here is quite revealing. Sounds like it’s someone or more than one that lives in the neighborhood. Younger men/teen boys perhaps?
Looking back I think Ted Bundy case over shadowed everything at the time. I wonder if he's a suspect. He was certainly in the area, and active at the time. The height description fits he was 5'10". MOO

“younger men whose answers to their questions didn't quite add up.” THIS is what I hope they continue to look into.

Looking back I think Ted Bundy case over shadowed everything at the time. I wonder if he's a suspect. He was certainly in the area, and active at the time. The height description fits he was 5'10". MOO
What height description? No one saw her leave/be taken except her two-year-old brother who couldn't say anything except "Heidi go."

Was her body or skull ever found? One post says her body (and possibly her clothes) was found in a trash can. Another says only her skull was found in a vacant lot among black berries bushes. Does anyone have a way to check the original paperwork from the police?

Was her body or skull ever found? One post says her body (and possibly her clothes) was found in a trash can. Another says only her skull was found in a vacant lot among black berries bushes. Does anyone have a way to check the original paperwork from the police?

Regarding the original paperwork, you could probably file a public records request with the city.

Many inconsistencies in this case. I have read varying reports. I hear the case is still open and files locked.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milkjug
Back