WA - Jaahnavi Kandula, 23, killed by police cruiser, Jan ‘23, outrage in Seattle and India after officer‘s callous remark, body cam released, Sep ‘23

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Outrage grew Friday over a Seattle police officer's remark that the life of a young woman killed by a speeding patrol car had “limited value." Diplomats from India are asking for an investigation following the death of the Indian graduate student as people in Seattle protested the officer's callous jokes caught on bodycam video.

65071539e37f6.image.png
Protesters march after body camera footage was released of a Seattle police officer joking about the death of Jaahnavi Kandula, a 23-year-old woman hit and killed in January by officer Kevin Dave in a police cruiser, Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023, in Seattle

Earlier this month, the Seattle Times reported that officer Kevin Dane was driving and responding to a report of an overdose when he hit Kandula, 23, who was crossing the street at a crosswalk. She later died at the hospital from her injuries.

The original SPD report did not identify the officer involved and only shared that they were en route to a “priority one call.”

Following Kandula’s death, another police officer, detective Daniel Auderer, was caught on body-camera footage released by the department joking about the incident.

“She is dead,” Auderer said in the video, before laughing. He could also be heard referring to Kandula as just “a regular person” before saying, “Yeah, just write a check.”

He continued, “$11,000. She was 26 anyway. She had limited value,” he said in the released footage.

I have not seen a whole lot else about this case? The officer overheard on the body cam with the disgusting comments is a detective, do we know his connection to the case? Was he investigating it? Who is he talking to?
The police vehicle that struck Kandula running with its lights/sirens? Did that officer provide first aid and CPR at the scene? I have a lot of questions. But I do think people are right to start demanding some answers. Especially given the "limited value" comment.

I jut read bout this a few minutes ago and wondered if there was a thread. What a total *#&@$. I mean, seriously? you are there to evaluate if the officer who HIT and killed her with his patrol car was under the influence of drugs or alcohol and THIS is what he has to say about the tragic loss of life of an innocent bystander?? Just despicable.

So I just saw an article that answered most of my questions. Trying to re-find it for the link now. The officer was driving 63 mph, not 50, did have lights activated. The officer in the body cam video had been there to test the officer to see if he had been under influence and was on the phone with the union president in the body cam conversation. This bod cam footage come to light whenit was reviewed by someone in the PD and was then given to lawyers.
I'd like to know if any decision has been made whether to charge or even cite the officer that hit the girl? It has been almost 9 months.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back