Found Deceased WA - Jane Tang, Hiker, vehicle found in pkg lot at Heather Lake Trailhead, east of Granite Falls, 2 Mar 2024

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1709801593988.png

GRANITE FALLS, Wash. – The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office is searching for a missing hiker last seen on March 2.

According to the SCSO, Jane Tang's vehicle was found at the Heather Lake Trailhead, east of Granite Falls, but deputies haven't been able to find her after three days of searching. The car she was driving was a silver 2016 Honda HR-V.

The NOAA radar shows that on the afternoon of the 2nd (which on the chart uses coordinated universal time) there was a little light snow here and there that afternoon but if you advance the radar to the THIRD which actually is still the second on the calendar but the third using UTC (which would be late evening on the 2nd) moderately heavy snow and precip is seen in the area. Radar Data

I've hiked this trail before. This is a good narrative description of what the hike is like: Heather Lake

It's a fairly safe hike. No big cliffs or dangerous rock climbing or anything crazy. It's popular with families in the summer. At this time of year, there is still a lot of snow but it's doable if Jane had the proper clothing, gear, and boots. I wonder if she was an experienced hiker?

The Heather Lake trailhead is off the Mountain Loop Highway, which has many trailheads along it. I can't help but think of the other women who have gone missing (or been found deceased) on trails off the Mountain Loop Highway. Susanna Stodden and Mary Cooper (Pinnacle Lake), Sam Sayers (Vesper Peak), Angela Gilbert (Granite Falls), Vera Izhevskiy (Mallardy Creek). I'm sure there are more. These are just off the top of my head.

I hope Jane is located safely soon.

Thanks, @sasha17, for the info. I'm not at all familiar with that area.
Hoping Jane did have the right gear for this hike -- it doesn't sound like a tough challenge, but we don't know enuff about Jane's hiking skills or enuff about the equipment that she had for taking this hike.
A bad fall could happen to anyone, certainly. Could she have gotten lost?
Could she have been meeting someone on this hike?
Would other hikers possibly be in this same hiking area this time of year? Did someone hurt her on purpose?
Hoping she will be found unhurt asap.

The woman, 61, told her family she was going to a state park Saturday around noon, said Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Courtney O’Keefe. That was the last anyone heard from her.

Search operations have been tough due to snowy conditions, O’Keefe said. Rescue crews have used ground teams, trucks, snowmobiles and a helicopter to look for the woman.

They continued searching Thursday.

:(

April 17, 2024

GRANITE FALLS — Authorities have recovered the body of a King County woman who went missing last month near Heather Lake.

Jane Tang, 61, told her family she was going to a state park on March 2, police said. That was the last anyone heard from her.

The official cause and manner of death were pending this week, according to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office.

:(

April 17, 2024

GRANITE FALLS — Authorities have recovered the body of a King County woman who went missing last month near Heather Lake.

Jane Tang, 61, told her family she was going to a state park on March 2, police said. That was the last anyone heard from her.

The official cause and manner of death were pending this week, according to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Sad news. I'm thankful her body was recovered. Hopefully her family can find closure now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saucebat
Back