WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the homeowner Salem.

Some elder people do have a "get off my lawn" attitude. If something is amiss near their property I can see them calling police.

I might call police if I noticed a strange car parked and empty near my house/driveway.

Thanks darlin gal. Its good to get a different perspective. I wish we knew whether it was in an actual driveway or not, because it seems if it was, it would be making some kind of statement, kwim? Different from just parking in the area and getting in another car or going for a walk. I think it would mean, that if Mackenzie parked the car there herself, that she either thought she knew the people or wanted to call attention to the car for some reason.

Its always in the details, wish we had a few.

Prayers for Mackenzie,

Salem

This article: http://www.kxly.com/news/22553292/detail.html

Says Mackenzie was last seen around 3:00 p.m. and her cell phone either died or was turned off around 5:00 p.m.

That's the first I have heard about the cell phone being turned off/dying. I thought another article said her boyfriend received a text from her around 4:15 p.m. but I can't seem to find the article now.

Salem

ETA: Blog for Mackenzie here: http://mackenzie.nwi.net/

Hundreds attend candlelight vigil for missing teen

On Friday night, a couple of hundred people prayed for the safe return of Mackenzie Cowell.

Her parents, brothers, relatives, friends and people who never met the 17-year-old Orondo teen gathered at a candlelight vigil. They lined up shoulder to shoulder along Wenatchee Avenue in front of the Cherry Creek Radio offices in downtown Wenatchee.

[snip]

Through tears, Mackenzie’s father, Reid Cowell of Orondo, thanked those who attended. “We want her to get home safe and get back to normal,” he said. “This is an amazing show for Mackenzie. She’s just an angel. I’m not sure she knows what we’re seeing here tonight, which is the love for her. This is a welcome-home party for her. ... We’ll do this again when she’s back.”

Afterward, Allen Anderson of Wenatchee led the group in reciting the Lord’s Prayer. “It’s guidance from the good Lord,” said Allen, later. “... I think prayer is the strongest thing in the world, don’t you? I don’t know if there’s anything stronger.”

“She’s a good lady, a good girl. I just hope that she comes back safe and sound,” said Allen, who knows Mackenzie through her parents.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/13/hundreds-attend-candelight-vigil/

Search for Mackenzie Cowell, Missing 17-Year-Old, Continues in Washington

No Suspects: Mackenzie Cowell's Vehicle was Found Locked, One Set of Footprints Leading Away, 40 Miles from Her Home

[snip]

Chelan County Sheriff's Office chief of administration Jerry Moore said, "We don't have a suspect vehicle and we don't have a suspect. We have no witnesses seeing her abducted or taken. We can't verify that she didn't walk away on her own."

Helicopters have failed to catch a glimpse of her. Bloodhounds have failed to pick up a trace of her scent. No one has seen her. A search on the computers at her home turned up nothing suspicious.

Residents in Pitcher Canyon noticed Mackenzie Cowell's car Tuesday night and notified authorities. However, investigators are at a loss as to why the vehicle was parked near a residential driveway in Pitcher Canyon so far from the teen's home. Given her background of good grades and active schedule, investigators do not believe the teen is a runaway. Besides high school and beauty school, Mackenzie Cowell was also a member of the Appes-Ettes Dance Team.

More: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2697359/search_for_mackenzie_cowell_missing.html?cat=8

Police will analyze teen’s phone records

Authorities Saturday will pore over more than 1,000 pages of phone records of Mackenzie Cowell, the 17-year-old Orondo teenager who hasn’t been seen since she left her beauty school Tuesday.

The phone records, dating back to Jan. 1, may offer clues that will help find Cowell, whose locked and abandoned 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix was found up Pitcher Canyon, in the Squilchuck area, on Tuesday night, said Jerry Moore, chief of administration for the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office.

“That will be our major task today. We are going to see if we can develop a pattern,” he said Saturday of the calls Cowell made.

He said authorities do not know where the teen’s cell phone is now, and he does not know if the phone records released through a search warrant by Verizon include any calls made since she disappeared.

More: http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/13/police-will-analyze-teens-phone-records/

girlfawkes - thanks for that local input. I don't have facebook, so won't be able to see the info - but didn't one of the articles say that the boyfriend was with the mom when they reported Mackenzie missing? Also, didn't the boyfriend receive a text shortly after MacKenzie went to get coffee?

I know the info about parking in a driveway is misleading, but I really think the car was parked in such a place/position that it was inconvenient for the homeowner. Why else would the homeowner call LE right away? Yes, the car might have been out of place, so to speak, but if it did not cause the homeowner a problem, then it seems reasonable to think they would have waited a day or so before calling LE to report the car? Do you think the homeowner would have called right away for some reason?

Did I say WELCOME yet? If not, Welcome to Websleuth, we are happy to have you and appreciate your willingness to share what you know with us.

Salem

Well, I drove up there on Wednesday, hadn't been up there in ages. I wasn't sure where the 2300 block was in relation to the topography. Once you get to the top where it becomes dirt, there are "no trespassing" and "no parking" signs everywhere in the area where I think the car was left. The road does continue a little farther past the big clearing with outbuildings and stuff that I described, but it's very very steep beyond that point and the mud is probably 8 inches thick right now. I don't think her sedan could have made it past this area.

Anyway, my point is that with all the signs I think the property owners are well invested in what's going on there. Since the canyon essentially dead ends near where the car was left they are probably sick of people using their property as a turn-around. Maybe I'll head up there and take some pics.

Oh, about the boyfriend- the article said they had texted around 4. I don't think Mackenzie was ever reported missing; I think the car was found first and authorities contacted her father via the registration and he confirm,ed that yes it was his daughters car and yes she was past curfew. Apparently then the whole family plus the BF met up.

Well, I drove up there on Wednesday, hadn't been up there in ages. I wasn't sure where the 2300 block was in relation to the topography. Once you get to the top where it becomes dirt, there are "no trespassing" and "no parking" signs everywhere in the area where I think the car was left. The road does continue a little farther past the big clearing with outbuildings and stuff that I described, but it's very very steep beyond that point and the mud is probably 8 inches thick right now. I don't think her sedan could have made it past this area.

Anyway, my point is that with all the signs I think the property owners are well invested in what's going on there. Since the canyon essentially dead ends near where the car was left they are probably sick of people using their property as a turn-around. Maybe I'll head up there and take some pics.

Oh, about the boyfriend- the article said they had texted around 4. I don't think Mackenzie was ever reported missing; I think the car was found first and authorities contacted her father via the registration and he confirm,ed that yes it was his daughters car and yes she was past curfew. Apparently then the whole family plus the BF met up.

Welcome to Websleuths girlfawkes! Always appreciate the locals who can give us so many more details about the surroundings.

Would this be a road Mackenzie would know about? Used alot by teens as a meeting place? Could she have given someone a lift who told her where to drive and park? Wonder where her boyfriend lives? Thanks and welcome!

Hundreds attend candlelight vigil for missing teen

On Friday night, a couple of hundred people prayed for the safe return of Mackenzie Cowell.

Her parents, brothers, relatives, friends and people who never met the 17-year-old Orondo teen gathered at a candlelight vigil. They lined up shoulder to shoulder along Wenatchee Avenue in front of the Cherry Creek Radio offices in downtown Wenatchee.

[snip]

Through tears, Mackenzie’s father, Reid Cowell of Orondo, thanked those who attended. “We want her to get home safe and get back to normal,” he said. “This is an amazing show for Mackenzie. She’s just an angel. I’m not sure she knows what we’re seeing here tonight, which is the love for her. This is a welcome-home party for her. ... We’ll do this again when she’s back.”

Afterward, Allen Anderson of Wenatchee led the group in reciting the Lord’s Prayer. “It’s guidance from the good Lord,” said Allen, later. “... I think prayer is the strongest thing in the world, don’t you? I don’t know if there’s anything stronger.”

“She’s a good lady, a good girl. I just hope that she comes back safe and sound,” said Allen, who knows Mackenzie through her parents.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/13/hundreds-attend-candelight-vigil/
Ohhh...this just tears my heart out....that poor family....just heartbreaking...

Thanks again for all of your info, girlfawkes. When you drove up there, was there any LE there? Anyone watching the area? Any searches still going on there?

If you do go up again to take pictures, be careful! :) We don't want you to get hurt or stuck, or in trouble for trespassing!

Such a beautiful young lady. Prayers that she is found soon and is safe.

It looks like those writings on editred have been added and/or updated starting on the day of Mackenzie's disappearance. One on the day of her disappearance talks about "seeing her with him" and "Now I gather each piece to find three missing". He added/edited one today called "Fatality".... I wonder if LE knows about this site.

ETA: I would add a link, but don't want to link to it because it says his full name and he's a minor. It is easily found, though.

You know, the drive from Orondo to Wenatchee is a beautiful road along the river. I wonder if the perp dumped her body along the way as there were only 1 set of footprints walking away from vehicle. She could be in sooo many places, but with that short of time I wonder if she may have been dumped in the river. :(

Thanks again for all of your info, girlfawkes. When you drove up there, was there any LE there? Anyone watching the area? Any searches still going on there?

If you do go up again to take pictures, be careful! :) We don't want you to get hurt or stuck, or in trouble for trespassing!

I didn't see anyone at all, but wouldn't be surprised if I was observed. AFAIK LE has been up and down there several times reinterviewing and searching the draw all along the canyon.

If I go up there again I'll stay on the public road like last time.

It looks like those writings on editred have been added and/or updated starting on the day of Mackenzie's disappearance. One on the day of her disappearance talks about "seeing her with him" and "Now I gather each piece to find three missing". He added/edited one today called "Fatality".... I wonder if LE knows about this site.

ETA: I would add a link, but don't want to link to it because it says his full name and he's a minor. It is easily found, though.

Very disturbing IMO. Who the heck writes stuff like that when their GF is missing?

Yes, LE is aware of it. When I found it I showed it to a friend and she called the tip line.

"Fatality

When no one knows what’s right from wrong,
I’ll be okay, I’ll sing my song.
Annunciate my foul intent,
To demonstrate the hate I’ve sent.

For all of those who cannot hear,
I’ll shape your fate in certain blocks.
Making sure the pain exploits your fears,
And scares what remains with black attacking hawks.

Commandeer your every sense,
Then render your body stoic.
Shut off the lights to build suspense,
And finish before you know it.

Once it’s done I’ll feel the power,
Clean up my things and move along.
Strike another within the hour,
Just one more to hear the song."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics