Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyle's family had a set of his fingerprints that were taken in grade school, as part of a children's identification program. The Sheriff's Department compared those prints with the post mortem prints I took in 2001, and made a positive identification.
Hi again Mr. Youmans! I was thinking of you yesterday as the news was coming out.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

The moderator of lyles reddit sub did offer the family (through LE) to crowdsource funds for relocation and funeral. I don’t think we are allowed to fundraise on WS from what I remember in another case.

I was just coming to edit my post. I started at the bottom then worked up to what I hadn't read. I just found where it was said.

No fund raising on WS but we can do it on FB

There's been an offer extended to the family (as posted on his sub on red) to crowdsource funding for his funeral. If anyone is interested, keep an eye on that.

https://m.facebook.com/WeWontForgetThem/posts/2344502855563738

Hope this Link is okay to share. It’s the only link I found that isn’t reddit.

I knew the info was on Reddit and in Lyle's group so unless people go to either they wouldn't know. I updated the post you linked to and added a new one. The gal that runs Reddit and the FB group is in contact with LE so I knew the info was accurate to post

Lyle's family had a set of his fingerprints that were taken in grade school, as part of a children's identification program. The Sheriff's Department compared those prints with the post mortem prints I took in 2001, and made a positive identification.

When I read the family gave his fingerprints, I thought of those identification kits, thank you for confirming that. Also, thank you for all your hard work and dedication on this case and reaching out to us!

So glad that this young man has been identified by family. My heart aches for them during this difficult time.

I hope one day a photo of him as he lived will be shared with those who didnt know him , but cared about him regardless.

Rest in peace , Young Man. So many people have cared about you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I do hope his family someday reconsiders making his name public. So many of us would like to know who he was.

I do hope his family someday reconsiders making his name public. So many of us would like to know who he was.
Wondering if at least someone could say whether the name Lyle S. was in fact inspired by JCO's book or not, that could be done without saying his real name.imo.

Wow DNA Doe Project is amazing. I'm so glad Lyles family have found him, but so sad that they've thought he's out there for the last 16 years.

I want to thank everyone in the WS community for all of your dedication and hard work to help give Lyle his name and help give his family some closure. You did so much of the leg work and eliminated hundreds of potential matches. I knew from day one that Lyle just wanted to disappear, but I also knew at he had family out there who needed to know what happened to him. I spoke with his father, who was so thankful for everyone's help.

I’m just absolutely thrilled that his family has him back! No matter the reason for estrangement as a parent I would absolutely want to know the fate of my child.

In regard to child id kits, our oldest had a card like this
b2257cc362bea7aacb69ecec87e65df3.jpg
made at school but they apparently stopped doing them before our next child came through. You can have them made through online services now. I ordered these off amazon for our other kids and I think they’re very cool because you can attach hair, make note of dental chart, scars, birthmarks, etc.. A lot of which are likely difficult to remember with specificity in the panic of a missing child. They come in a pack of five for $14.99.
5974f7ea48822f2478e90e87d315b040.jpg
Child ID Kits (5 Pack) - Identification Safety Kits for Kids - Great Handout for Parents, Police Departments, Schools, Moms Clubs & more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS26TY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b8X8Ab4YNK2PK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bringing tears to my eyes to see the "identified" added to the title of this thread. Never thought we'd see the day. My thoughts are with "Lyle's" family. :rose:

Oh wow!!! I was reading in a different thread and saw someone's post that Lyle had been identified!!! So I hurried on over here to catch up!!! I am so glad his family was able to provide what was needed to solve this UID. Like most of you, I too want to know how he was, see pictures of him in life!! But I also respect his family's request for privacy. Maybe one day we will find out who this man really was in life, but until then, I'm just so excited to see he isn't just a nameless person any longer. RIP "Lyle"

I'm so very glad his family has closure. I don't need to know his identity, I just don't. Rest in peace young man.

I made one last paper crane for Lyle yesterday. Honestly, I thought that I'd be making those well into my adulthood. Fly free, friend. No matter what your name is, all that matters is that it's been returned to you.

Oh wauwwww.....I respect the wishes of the family not to publish his name, but I would really like to know who he was. I respect his choice not wanting to "be around" anymore...thinking what pushed him "over the edge". Great and amazing people ,the joint forces, that finally identified him. It all makes me humble and silent..

So glad when I saw 'Identified' in front of the thread title!
Finally 'Lyle' can go home and be laid to rest by his family.

I wish I could see his face. Alive. Real. Maybe even with a twinkle in his eye as he smirked at the camera. But it's ok to just know he's where he is supposed to be and a family has answers. RIP, friend.... You've almost become like a brother to us all!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is wonderful news! But what a roller coaster of emotions for his family. My heart goes out to them. :heartbeat:

Excellent news, well done everyone involved!

Hope Taltos finds his/her brother.

I’m so glad Lyle finally found his family, and they found him. As much of a relief it might be to finally know who Lyle is, I imagine it’s probably also rough to learn their family member walked on so long ago. [emoji22] My heart goes out to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cleo X