WA WA - Misty Copsey, 14, Tacoma, 17 Sept 1992

Agreed. The uncle has never been named or questioned, yet he is mentioned in most articles as going with RS to pick Misty up. Doesn't sit right with me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Considering posted a news article up thread that answers the question about the uncle. Little is known about him and he was never interviewed or questioned by law enforcement. He may not even be Rheuban's uncle so to speak.

(Snippet from news article)
"Q: The story refers to Rheuban Schmidt's "uncle" – who is this person and what do police know about him?

A: The only certainty is that Puyallup police never talked to him. There is a name that appears in Puyallup’s records of the Copsey investigation, along with a picture, birthdate, vehicle description, and other identifying information. Police were aware of this person; the records mention him five times between 1993 and 2006 as someone with possible knowledge and a direct connection to Rheuban Schmidt.

What’s not clear is why police were looking at this individual in 1993. The records don’t explain how they got his name. Diana Smith knows the individual’s name. She cannot remember when she first heard it. She recalls telling police about the uncle and what she’d been told about him, but there are no records from the early years of the case file that describe those alleged conversations.

Police never took a formal statement from Diana at the time. Had they done so, the information about the uncle might be clearer, and police could have given themselves a reference point for future investigation. They didn’t, so the uncle has become a flashpoint for rumors in subsequent years. When police re-examined the case in 2006, the record shows that they initially confused the uncle with another man, a convicted killer, who had a very similar name.The News Tribune researched the individual whose name appears in case records. Historical research established that he lived a few blocks from Rheuban at the time of Misty’s disappearance. Diana believes she saw this man with Rheuban in late 1992 – The News Tribune’s findings correspond with her description of the man and the vehicle he was known to be driving at the time.

However, The News Tribune chose not to publish the man’s name. It was a judgment call; the information was too sketchy. Police never interviewed the individual or looked into his movements on key dates. Apart from hearsay statements, there is no direct information to show he was with Rheuban that night. There is no direct information to show that this individual was the “family member” mentioned by Frank Rodriguez, Rheuban’s boss, during an interview with The News Tribune. What’s more, Rheuban Schmidt has a large family – the limited information about the uncle could apply to more than one relative, and the “uncle” may not be an uncle, strictly speaking.

All this gives only a glimpse of the complexities surrounding this individual. There is more to it. As a matter of courtesy, The News Tribune shared portions of its research with Puyallup police. For the moment, it will remain confidential." source: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/special-reports/article25857760.html

I recommend reading the FAQ's article. There are so many confusing things surrounding Misty's case, it definitely clears up a few.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Another key component of the new investigation focused on Rheuban Schmidt and Michael Rhyner, two men with ties to Misty and Tina Bevard. Both are directly linked to the night of the disappearance.

Schmidt, 18 at the time, spoke to Misty on the phone at least once – records suggest more than once. He was a friend. Misty called him to ask for a ride home. Earlier, he had promised to give her a ride, case records say.

Misty had made the arrangement without her mother's knowledge
– but Schmidt backed out when Misty called, saying he didn't have enough gas to pick her up. Two witnesses – Bevard and Schmidt's roommate – overheard the telephone conversation at either end, records say.
Source: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/special-reports/article25859440.html

So the girls made plans for an alternative ride from the fair. Possibility so Trina could see her adult boyfriend that night. I can see them spending their bus money on something at the fair knowing they didn't need it. When Rheuban backs out this makes sense why Trina supposedly gave her more bus money.

I wonder if Trina was ever questioned about the state of RS and Misty's relationship. Just curious. Two teenage girls lying about taking the bus so their adult boyfriends can pick them up seems like the scenario here; however, IMO Misty wasn't interested in him as more than a friend. That could be why he backed out, "ugh, I'm never going to get anywhere with her" attitude. He also could have used the ride as leverage against her. Like 'I went out of my way to pick you up now you owe me something' trying to manipulate her.

We know that Misty called her mother at 8:45 telling her she missed her bus. Her mother told her to call someone for a ride. At 9:20 Misty asks a bus driver about any possibility of getting to Spanaway and while he may have suggested a round-about route, she wasn’t interested. The obvious inference from this is that she had spent the time between 8:45 and 9:20 trying to line up a ride but had given up and still needed a way to get home. This would mean that she never expected Rheuban to pick her up.
The sighting of her at 10:00 on Meridian, if it is accurate, would indicate that she was walking home; a 7 mile trip.

Everyone seems to jump on Rheuban as the likely suspect but all indications are that Misty was not expecting a ride from him or anyone else. I suspect that people are prone to making the same sort of judgment about him as the police police made about Misty and her mother. The stigma of being poor and living in a trailer park is hard to shake.

The real problem in this case is that people were not interviewed right away once it was known Misty was missing. This case was investigated months or years after the fact and nobody’s memory is reliable at that point. I suspect Misty was abducted by predator she accepted a ride from someone she didn’t know because she was miles from home in the middle of the night and pretty desperate.

This case is a sad commentary on bad choices young people make, how parents’ need to work and earn a living limits their ability to be there for their children and how police exercise their judgment when to investigate a possible crime. It also demonstrates the danger that always lurks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We know that Misty called her mother at 8:45 telling her she missed her bus. Her mother told her to call someone for a ride. At 9:20 Misty asks a bus driver about any possibility of getting to Spanaway and while he may have suggested a round-about route, she wasn’t interested. The obvious inference from this is that she had spent the time between 8:45 and 9:20 trying to line up a ride but had given up and still needed a way to get home. This would mean that she never expected Rheuban to pick her up.
The sighting of her at 10:00 on Meridian, if it is accurate, would indicate that she was walking home; a 7 mile trip.

Everyone seems to jump on Rheuban as the likely suspect but all indications are that Misty was not expecting a ride from him or anyone else. I suspect that people are prone to making the same sort of judgment about him as the police police made about Misty and her mother. The stigma of being poor and living in a trailer park is hard to shake.

The real problem in this case is that people were not interviewed right away once it was known Misty was missing. This case was investigated months or years after the fact and nobody’s memory is reliable at that point. I suspect Misty was abducted by predator she accepted a ride from someone she didn’t know because she was miles from home in the middle of the night and pretty desperate.

This case is a sad commentary on bad choices young people make, how parents’ need to work and earn a living limits their ability to be there for their children and how police exercise their judgment when to investigate a possible crime. It also demonstrates the danger that always lurks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I competely understand where you're coming from, but the information about the ride being pre-planned is from a 2011 article highlighting the new investigation on her case.
Schmidt, 18 at the time, spoke to Misty on the phone at least once – records suggest more than once. He was a friend. Misty called him to ask for a ride home. Earlier, he had promised to give her a ride, case records say.
Source: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/special-reports/article25859440.html
We also don't know when the call(or calls) to RS occurred. It could have been right before she called her mother, but we don't know that detail. But we do know RS told her he didn't have enough gas to pick her up, that she told him how to get into her house, and where money is in her room. Other then the bus driver he was one of the last to talk to her.

Rheuban hasn't really looked good early on IMO. Here's why I question his involvement:
  • Diana over heard Misty on the phone with him and he said, "I get horny just looking at you, Misty". Who says that to a friend? Especially an under-aged friend?
  • His roommate even assumed he had picked up Misty with his "Uncle" as he left right after his phone call with her.
  • He bragged about knowing where she's buried to his boss to 'get him off his back'. Why tell your boss, the person in charge of you, something incriminating?
  • He ran when authorities first tried to question him. Why run if you're innocent?
  • He was accused in 1996 of rape by one of Misty's best friends.
    The young woman said Rheuban held a pillow over her face to silence her, an incident report said.
    Two weeks after filing the report, she backed out and refused to press charges.
    source: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/special-reports/article25857754.html
  • His alibi for that night is that he 'blacked out' and woke up at his grandmother's house 60 miles away. And he had no gas earlier? Where did the uncle from earlier go? He also told Diana he was at a party that night
  • In 2006 his wife and the mother of his three children got a domestic violence protective order on him, reasons?
    Rheuban has previously told her that if she ever had him served with a court order he'd
    1) burn her house down with her and her kids in it, and
    2) send ‘some guys' to kick in her door and take money from her.

(She) said Rheuban told her that they'd get money from her if they had to beat her, rape her and then rob her.

(She) said Rheuban told her that if it came to that she ‘wouldn't be breathing' when they were done with her.

— Pierce County Sheriff's report, Nov. 9, 2006
    Source: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/special-reports/article25857754.html
(all in list that is not sourced can be found in this article: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/special-reports/article25859440.html)

Not trying to cause waves or anything. I personally feel sketchy about Rheuban. I agree that we don't know if he was responsible, but if he was he had more benefits than a stranger would since she already trusted him and they were friends.

Not so fast.

Not one person has accused Rheuban based on his economic status. I grew up in very modest circumstances myself, and I am thoroughly convinced that Rheuban raped and murdered Misty, although I don't know whether he did it alone or whether he and his "uncle" were both in on it.

My reasons are similar to the ones listed above by aThousandYearsWide.
1) He had demonsrated an overt sexual interest in Misty.
2) He ran when police wanted to question him.
3) He claims to have blacked out at his grandmother's farm the night Misty disappeared. (He didn't have enough gas to get Misty, but he somehow made it to his grandmother's farm?)
4) One of Misty's friends accused him of rape at a later date. (Apparently being from a trailer park didn't prevent him from thinking he was entitled to sex whenever he wanted it.)
5) The clothes of Misty's that were eventually discovered were found to have been planted at the discovery site a short time before they wete found; tests showed that they had been stored in the same general area as Rheuban's grandmother's farm.
6) He bragged that he knew where Misty was buried. (I think she's buried on or near his grandmother's farm.)
7) He has repeatedly been guilty of theeats and violence against his wife.
8) Rheuban's roommate stated that Rheuban and the "uncle" had left to pick Misty up.

Notice that I didn't list "He lived in a trailer park" as one of my reasons.

Not so fast.

Not one person has accused Rheuban based on his economic status. I grew up in very modest circumstances myself, and I am thoroughly convinced that Rheuban raped and murdered Misty, although I don't know whether he did it alone or whether he and his "uncle" were both in on it.

My reasons are similar to the ones listed above by aThousandYearsWide.
1) He had demonsrated an overt sexual interest in Misty.
2) He ran when police wanted to question him.
3) He claims to have blacked out at his grandmother's farm the night Misty disappeared. (He didn't have enough gas to get Misty, but he somehow made it to his grandmother's farm?)
4) One of Misty's friends accused him of rape at a later date. (Apparently being from a trailer park didn't prevent him from thinking he was entitled to sex whenever he wanted it.)
5) The clothes of Misty's that were eventually discovered were found to have been planted at the discovery site a short time before they wete found; tests showed that they had been stored in the same general area as Rheuban's grandmother's farm.
6) He bragged that he knew where Misty was buried. (I think she's buried on or near his grandmother's farm.)
7) He has repeatedly been guilty of theeats and violence against his wife.
8) Rheuban's roommate stated that Rheuban and the "uncle" had left to pick Misty up.

Notice that I didn't list "He lived in a trailer park" as one of my reasons.
Absolutely agree! One thing to clear up on number 5 though. The clothes were tested and the soil found on them is only found in the Ohop valley in Eatonville, WA. So test concluded they had not sat in the ditch by Mud Mountain for long. Eatonville to Enumclaw is about 45 mins to an hour depending on what route you take and the traffic. Eatonville is also just a town over to Puyallup. RS's grandmother lived in Buckley, however, he has relatives and ties to Eatonville.

Absolutely agree! One thing to clear up on number 5 though. The clothes were tested and the soil found on them is only found in the Ohop valley in Eatonville, WA. So test concluded they had not sat in the ditch by Mud Mountain for long. Eatonville to Enumclaw is about 45 mins to an hour depending on what route you take and the traffic. Eatonville is also just a town over to Puyallup. RS's grandmother lived in Buckley, however, he has relatives and ties to Eatonville.

Thanks! I guess I misremembered that detail, probably because I don't know the area.

Thanks! I guess I misremembered that detail, probably because I don't know the area.
Your pretty spot on in my opinion. I only bring up Eatonville because anyone not familiar with the area would think Eatonville to Enumclaw are far away by looking at maps. If someone is familiar with going back and forth, they would know the less traveled back roads which makes it a pretty easy ride as I am sure RS would have known having family and frequenting both areas.

These Washington children are still missing
Two major announcements on long, unsolved cases involving young children in Western Washington puts the spotlight back on a series of cold cases with either no suspect or trace of the victim.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/these-washington-children-are-still-missing/281-551103228

Fourteen-year-old Misty Copsey vanished from the Puyallup Fair more than 25 years ago. No remains, no suspects.

Police use social media to boost 25-year search for missing Puyallup girl
https://www.king5.com/article/enter...earch-for-missing-puyallup-girl/281-490553854

On September 17, 1992, 14-year-old Misty Copsey vanished after visiting the Puyallup Fair with a friend. Now, 25 years later, detectives with the Puyallup Police Department are trying a unique approach to breathe new life into this cold case.

Puyallup Police Detective Sergeant Jason Visnaw and Captain Scott Engle shared more about their decision to share Misty's story on social media, in her own voice, as well as what new leads this new push is generating.

It's crazy, I lived right across the street from this park from 1996-1998 or so.

I know it means nothing, but I personally don't think they're connected. This girl was simply left there... and Misty has been taken and hidden, it seems. If I remember right, Tacoma-Puyallup is a good 30 minute drive... But then again, it was the state fair and that could have brought anybody around. It was always very crowded.

truck2_1556058148306_15095783_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

My question is, was the clothing that the mother claimed was hers and Misty’s ever tested and shown positive or negative for Misty’s DNA. I think I read something in the past and it said that it was tested but didn’t have misty or her mother’s DNA. I could be completely wrong as I’m having a difficult time finding the link again. Sorry if this was discussed before, my phone takes forever to even load anything.

My question is, was the clothing that the mother claimed was hers and Misty’s ever tested and shown positive or negative for Misty’s DNA. I think I read something in the past and it said that it was tested but didn’t have misty or her mother’s DNA. I could be completely wrong as I’m having a difficult time finding the link again. Sorry if this was discussed before, my phone takes forever to even load anything.

I remember that they found red paint chips on the jeans.

I found this article,

"The News Tribune's 2009 series noted several hairs recovered from the jeans hadn't been tested for DNA purposes, and other debris from the jeans, including paint chips, appeared to have been lost.

Puyallup police, working with the state crime lab, ordered tests of the hairs and found the paint chips, which now are thought be fragments of nail polish.
Another loose end handled, another box checked, and it isn't helping.

The hairs from the jeans don't match Misty's DNA. They don't match Smith's at a secondary level. They don't match profiles of killers and predators already entered into law-enforcement systems. There is no independent way to prove Misty or her mother ever wore them.

"As much as we can do with current technology has been done with those jeans," Portmann said."

I remember that they found red paint chips on the jeans.

I found this article,

"The News Tribune's 2009 series noted several hairs recovered from the jeans hadn't been tested for DNA purposes, and other debris from the jeans, including paint chips, appeared to have been lost.

Puyallup police, working with the state crime lab, ordered tests of the hairs and found the paint chips, which now are thought be fragments of nail polish.
Another loose end handled, another box checked, and it isn't helping.

The hairs from the jeans don't match Misty's DNA. They don't match Smith's at a secondary level. They don't match profiles of killers and predators already entered into law-enforcement systems. There is no independent way to prove Misty or her mother ever wore them.

"As much as we can do with current technology has been done with those jeans," Portmann said."

Thank you @aThousandYearsWide
I find it weird that they found that stuff in the woods but couldn’t link it to anyone, imho it sounds like it may be someone else’s stuff out there, maybe another unfortunate victim? Kinda random for that to be out there? Didn’t they find underwear and a sock nearby the jeans too? And wasn’t a couple other bodies located not too far from where the stuff was found? (Couple miles maybe?)
I hope there is justice for misty soon, it’s been way too long without any solid leads. She was just a little girl, I can’t imagine how her mother feels especially after so long of not knowing anything.

Vanished: 27 years since Misty Copsey, 14, last seen in Puyallup

Sep 17, 2019

"PUYALLUP, Wash. - Spanaway girl Misty Copsey was only 14 when she disappeared from downtown Puyallup 27 years ago Tuesday.

Misty had been at what was then called the Puyallup Fair with some friends on the night of Sept. 17, 1992.

She was headed home to Spanaway, but missed her 8:40 p.m. bus. She was never seen again.

With no remains or physical evidence, what happened to Misty remains a mystery.

In years past, Puyallup police took to social media to try to generate leads and keep her story alive. Once again, on the anniversary of her disappearance Tuesday, they reminded their Facebook followers that she is still out there, somewhere....

Her mother, Diana Smith, is resigned that her daughter is no longer alive, but hopes that one day she'll find out what happened to Misty...."

Vanished: 27 years since Misty Copsey, 14, last seen in Puyallup
---

Puyallup Police‏ @PuyallupPD Sep 17
Today we remember Misty Copsey. Misty was last seen 27 years ago in Puyallup. Please help us bring Misty home. If you have any info about Misty’s disappearance, please contact 253-770-3343 or tips@ci.puyallup.wa.us #MistyCopsey #BringMistyHome

EEJGt5tUYAAJ1oV

I found a Doe found in 2004. She was found in Roy, WA which is approx. 30 minutes away from Puyallup. Her estimated year of death is 1983-2003.

Now I know she is estimated to be Asian, but bear with me. Since the remains were skeletal I take estimated race with a grain of salt. Especially with recent identified Doe's originally believed to be of different race. Randi Booth-Wilson was believed to be Caucasian and was actually Black. Michael Rogers, also Black, was thought to be Asian, and Bobby Whitt who was biracial(Asian/Caucasian) was thought to be Hispanic.

1552UFWA - Unidentified Female
No_Image_Available_female.jpg
CASE%20NUMBER.jpg
Date of Discovery: April 5, 2004
Location of Discovery: Roy, Washington
Estimated Date of Death: 1983-2003
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 13-30 years old
Race: Asian
Sex: Female
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
Partial human skull found in wooded area owned by a timber company.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Pierce County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Lynelle Anderson
Agency Phone Number: (253) 798-7530
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 04-096-0830

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 5671
Former Hot Case Number: n/a

Information Source(s)
NamUs
1552UFWA