WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

Could someone with NamUs account please check if new people are on the exclusion lists?
These are the three exclusions for Mary Anderson:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1304Elaine Johnson
Date of Last ContactNovember 22, 1990
StateOH
CountyCuyahoga
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP20296Sharman Carey
Date of Last ContactJanuary 17, 1996
StateWA
CountyPierce
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP32573Peggy Wilker
Date of Last ContactOctober 12, 1986
StateWA
CountyPierce

These are the three exclusions for Mary Anderson:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1304Elaine Johnson
Date of Last ContactNovember 22, 1990
StateOH
CountyCuyahoga
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP20296Sharman Carey
Date of Last ContactJanuary 17, 1996
StateWA
CountyPierce
Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP32573Peggy Wilker
Date of Last ContactOctober 12, 1986
StateWA
CountyPierce
Thank you!

I was looking through the LAPD's Wanted Persons (Home of the Los Angeles Police Department - LAPD Online) thinking about a completely different UID and noticed a woman, named Shoshanna Shambi who committed insurance fraud in 1994. She is the same height as Mary Anderson and weighs less (but if her weight was taken from her driver's license, I could understand giving the DMV a lower estimate). Maybe it is just me, but when I look past the big hair, I can really see a resemblance between Shoshanna and Mary. I wish that they provided more information about the wanted person.
View attachment 57423
Shoshana Shambi - LAPD Online
I don't know if you are still on this site or not, Ambercat, but here goes...
I've been away for a long time but haven't given up on Mary at all. I went through all the posts again, and saved notes I had from when I first started posting... 1st, this photo of Shoshana Shambi is haunting. Yes, got to get past the big hair (probably a photo at DMV in mid/late 80's) but she's the right height, and 70 pounds lighter than Mary but lets say this photo is 5 years old, that's still what 14 pounds a year? I don't know about any other ladies here but I've easily gained 10 pounds in less time! Then, her name, Shoshana which when I looked it up says it means: lily or rose, and is a Hebrew first name etc... Which made me think of an old import place in Tel Aviv called Shambi. So, this one like Mary is unfindable - she's disappeared and the business (Shambi in Tel Aviv) appears to be out of business. Insurance fraud was a huge deal back in the late 80's and 90's. We had gangs of people doing this as well as individuals. This would fit into the guesses of others that she wasn't from here, or from this area. The hot velour outfits and winter coat, gloves, leggings, it was almost 80 degrees the day she checked in. A normal temp for this area in early October is mid to high 50's highs, and lows in low 50's or high 40's. (I live here, so I am really familiar with the weather.) I can't imagine her walking in a heavy winter coat, and hot leggings and top with it being near 80. I'd absolutely fall over dead! Her being pre-menopausal (contingent on when you first menstruate and individual woman) exaggerates your feeling too hot.

So, Shoshana like Mary is invisible, no relatives (we know of) like Mary, and she tried to pass herself off as LaToya Jackson an article stated (not sure if that is verified there is absolutely no information on her). So, add 7lbs, 8 years between the time the photo of Shoshana was taken, drinking liquids like Crystal Light and Metamucil mixed with cyanide (Mary is like a mummy almost with decomposition and dehydration, and we have no idea when the poison was drunk or how long the body was in the room - she could have drank it upon arrival as she ordered no food and from what "they" said at the hotel she never left the room)...

And, there's another thing that just bugs the hell out of me here with Mary... cyanide causes spasms/convulsions, choking, it takes the oxygen out of your tissues and organs. She's posed like she's asleep, how could she drink it and not have spazzed out on the bed and mussed up the pillows, the Bible, or herself? Now, granted all this could be in the "Official KCME" report that they will never release to a bunch of non-law enforcement/strangers. Many of the questions we have will never be answered like: what was the contents of her stomach/intestines (maybe why she drank Metamucil and Crystal Light to keep from being hungry so no one could ID what she ate and figure out who she was - bet she had a last supper somewhere before the hotel and someone saw her in a restaurant or maybe room service?), how much cyanide was ingested and what was the TOD... She didn't bring the bowl to poison herself via cyanide fumes as had she researched at the library across the street from the hotel she would have found out the fumes take you out immediately. She had 7 outfits that were new including what she was wearing so... did she have them in case she chickened out? She didn't have enough cash on her to travel anywhere far, so was there a bank account somewhere and if so how could she get to her money? I think this was the end of the road for her and she definitely knew she couldn't delay this any longer.
So, is there a bank account in the US that has unclaimed funds (might only be 5 dollars) and no activity since 1996? So, she got a ride from a cabby - where was she picked up? Did she at one time have breast implants - they would have a serial number as of the early 90's - so she had to have breast reduction surgery to get rid of id'ing her and reduce their size as she was at 240lbs considered medically morbidly obese? I believe the implant removal not applicable but the reduction might have been for comfort reasons. I didn't get hung up on Shoshana's pierced ears - they grow in after less than a year for most people leaving no scars virtually. Plus there's every indication that had the ME found pierced ears w/o earrings that might have been information retained as the case is still open. If LAPD retained a lot of information, like KCME, from the public perhaps a DNA test on next of kin on Shoshana could be done and compared with samples of Mary?

So this post has definitely not added anything to finding out who Mary is, but maybe someone knows something out there, reading this or the other posts, and is finally willing to contact the King County Medical Examiner with possible identity or at least a last known city of residence.

Even in death EVERYBODY deserves their name. I believe we're all connected, we're not alone - even when we feel we are.

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping. I'm hoping Mary will be identified by October. It'll be 27 years next month that she died. Even if it's a case like Lyle Stevik where the family doesn't want her real name made public, I hope she can be identified for her family soon and closure brought to the case.
She’s been on my mind lately, fingers crossed it will be resolved this year

Thanks for bumping. I'm hoping Mary will be identified by October. It'll be 27 years next month that she died. Even if it's a case like Lyle Stevik where the family doesn't want her real name made public, I hope she can be identified for her family soon and closure brought to the case.
Every October it becomes so difficult to realize that this cold case is in the Antarctic frozen in ice and time. I would be so favorably impressed if someone at SPD working cold cases chimed in a brief post and said they were reviewing all the case notes and photo's and trying to reinterview people. The old ME said he was troubled that he missed something so tiny so insignificant, perhaps, but that it might very well get them closer if not get them this case solved. Twenty seven years is too long to be missing. It's an eternity to not have the decency of a name on your headstone. If this case has been solved and the family wishes she remains anonymous, a note here to that effect from the current ME or SPD would make us all not wonder any longer so we could all rest in peace. Until then, I will continue to search missing persons photos with descriptions. I often turn this over in my head as I see the countless babies and children in these photos if perhaps she might have been kidnapped as an infant or child, if it was before DNA or the family gave up hope and never submitted their DNA? We've gone past another year here, I wonder if any of these places that have offered to put her DNA in for a search can reach out to us here and give us any update? (Circling in my fishbowl)

'Mary Anderson' died of cyanide poisoning.
Is cyanide something that can be acquired easily?
Cyanide is difficult to obtain unless you work with gold or are working in the gold mining industry. There are other types of cyanide too. Without any details from the ME on what types of cyanide was tested for, what type was found in her or residue on a receptacle she brought it in, etc... it would be difficult to pinpoint. In 1996 according to the ME, they tested to try to obtain a source but were unable to identify it. The cyanide could have been more easily obtained overseas but there is the mystery. With no flight records (1996 pre 9/11) to show if she was a passenger (we don't have a name even to check a passport) it's a crap shoot. I read an article I had tried to investigate about a man in an apartment complex in California circa 1990's who made jewelry and had a fatal accident with cyanide. The place he was working on the jewelry he made was not sealed off, they had no idea he died of cyanide poisoning, and they took the body out before someone came and told LE that there was cyanide in there. When LE searched they found a tipped over container with white powder in it, and then they sealed off the scene. The entire small apartment complex was evacuated and people couldn't get back into the area until it was cleaned by hazmat crews. LE were taken to the hospital, treated and released. I can only think trying to figure out where cyanide came from will be like this case here with the accidental spill. How many places which have small business jewelers have had accidents in, or had cyanide stored, stolen, or spilled, who knew, was it ever reported? And seriously if it happened once it probably has happened 100's of times. (Edited for typo)

Last edited:
Every October it becomes so difficult to realize that this cold case is in the Antarctic frozen in ice and time. I would be so favorably impressed if someone at SPD working cold cases chimed in a brief post and said they were reviewing all the case notes and photo's and trying to reinterview people. The old ME said he was troubled that he missed something so tiny so insignificant, perhaps, but that it might very well get them closer if not get them this case solved. Twenty seven years is too long to be missing. It's an eternity to not have the decency of a name on your headstone. If this case has been solved and the family wishes she remains anonymous, a note here to that effect from the current ME or SPD would make us all not wonder any longer so we could all rest in peace. Until then, I will continue to search missing persons photos with descriptions. I often turn this over in my head as I see the countless babies and children in these photos if perhaps she might have been kidnapped as an infant or child, if it was before DNA or the family gave up hope and never submitted their DNA? We've gone past another year here, I wonder if any of these places that have offered to put her DNA in for a search can reach out to us here and give us any update? (Circling in my fishbowl)

Othram has this case and it's fully funded, so hopefully it's just a matter of time until resolution. Who is "Mary Anderson" (1996)?

Othram has this case and it's fully funded, so hopefully it's just a matter of time until resolution. Who is "Mary And
Indeed. Case in progress!

Indeed. Case in progress!

Curious here... what is the process once a case is fully funded? (In other words, what is involved in "case in progress?") Also, worst case scenario on how long it would take to run Mary Anderson's DNA against the others you have access to? I realize that a sample might not be available yet on a distant match until the DB has it loaded into it, so the ask on a time frame and process is based solely on what is available at the time of testing.
I know I'm not alone when I say I am so hopeful that we will find a match and thank you and everyone who funded and made this search possible.

Othram could probably answer this faster.... copy paste of the first few sentence of the post above from September 11th

Curious here... what is the process once a case is fully funded? (In other words, what is involved in "case in progress?") Also, worst case scenario on how long it would take to run Mary Anderson's DNA against the others you have access to? I realize that a sample might not be available yet on a distant match until the DB has it loaded into it, so the ask on a time frame and process is based solely on what is available at the time of testing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl
Back