WA WA - Susan Redding, 15, Seattle, 8 April 1975

If we could get a local who would be willing to go to the police station, I think they would have a better shot. Or someone who could go look for info at the library. Or both.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I think the key to solving this case is finding a family member. She has DNA on file so someone from her family must've reported her missing sometime after her birthday.

I think the key to solving this case is finding a family member. She has DNA on file so someone from her family must've reported her missing sometime after her birthday.
Have you tried Ancestry.com or Rootsweb?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Any websites where I could search for old Seattle newspapers? That way I can know if there were any media coverage at that time

Out of 521 news articles for "Susan Redding" not a single one of them was her being reported missing. However, it was also quite common then for parents who reported their kids missing to show up in newspaper's police blotter section as a generic "Mrs so and so reported her daughter missing to police at x:xx on blah blah date." With no follow up, no additional information. Remember, newspapers charged by the word to take out an ad back then. A lot of families couldn't afford it.

I have a friend who lives in Seattle. I will try to get ahold of her in the next few days and see if she can assist in getting the word out about this case, in an effort to find family members or at least someone who might remember Susan.

Just sent this on to Clinton County, Iowa Sheriffs office. Will let you know if I get a response.

NamUs #MP20630
Susan Reading, Seattle, Wa missing 4/8/1975

Body found 04/11/75, in river in Clinton County, Iowa.

Age, race, size are all a match.

Just sent this on to Clinton County, Iowa Sheriffs office. Will let you know if I get a response.

NamUs #MP20630
Susan Reading, Seattle, Wa missing 4/8/1975

Body found 04/11/75, in river in Clinton County, Iowa.

Age, race, size are all a match.
Great job Dennis! Fingers crossed!

A co-incidence she went missing on her bday? why so little info on her? If she went missing from her family on her 16th b'day atleast the family should be able to provide some more details, or did she spend the night out with friends and something happened? Perhaps she was pregnant and the father of the child didnt want a baby or she run away from home to be with a manor the family are responsible for her fate. We can just speculate with so little info. Not even the photo of her is any good.

Thanks for the links! It's nice to see someone interested in one of my cases.

4458 is the most similar, except Susan has a scar on her eye, and the Jane Doe on her feet, still I recommend you submit this one.

2415, it's possible as well, same age range. You should submit it.

If you can submit them both, it would be nice. I'm about to get hit by a hurricane and I may be offline for awhile.
Since I live in Sweden I can't submit anyone unfortunately. However, I would be delighted if someone else could submit them for me!

Susan Redding
Original

• susan_redding_1.jpg
Redding, circa 1975 (age sixteen, about eight to ten years prior to her disappearance)

• Missing Since01/01/1983
  • Missing FromDecatur, Georgia
  • ClassificationMissing
  • Date of Birth04/08/1959 (60)
  • Age24 years old
  • Height and Weight5'4, 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Redding's nicknames are Randy and Sue. She has a scar above her right eye. She often wore a wig.
Details of Disappearance
Redding moved from Seattle, Washington to Decatur, Georgia in 1975, when she was sixteen, and there's no indication she ever returned to Washington. She was last heard from when she called her mother and grandmother sometime in the mid-1980s, prior to her father's death in 1987. Few details are available in her case. Washington police are investigating.

King County Sheriff's Office 206-263-2091

Her NamUs profile now says that she is missing from Decatur, Georgia. In case they get deleted, here are the current circumstances from NamUs:

"Circumstances of Disappearance

Susan left Washington and returned to Georgia in 1975. She was last seen by family at her mother's home and there is no information to indicate she went back to Washington State. She was last heard from when she called her mother and grandmother’s homes in the mid-1980s, prior to her father's death in 1987."

Someone who identified as her sister contacted me. According to the exchanges we had, Susan was last seen on April 8th, 1975 in Decatur, Georgia, which was her 16th birthday. She was previously in the Seattle, Washington area. In Seattle, she lived with her brother Frank Redding Jr. but he, according to my source, couldn't deal with Susan when she was starting to rebel. On April 8th, 1975, Susan was in the company of a white male who was a lot older than her. Susan was apparently going to the dry cleaners that day. She hasn't been seen since according to the sister's rendition of events.

Susan fell out with her mother. Apparently, one of the men Susan kept company with almost killed one of her brothers when he protested their relationship. Susan, according to the sister, may have been a prostitute at some points in her life.

A phone call likely happened in October 1982. At that time, the grandmother died and Susan seemed to be calling the grandmother's house to discuss the death with whoever answered the phone. This suggested to me that Susan was in the family grapevine somehow unless she heard about the death through newspapers. Susan's family is large. An aunt was the phone answerer the day she called. Susan hung up abruptly when she heard her mother's voice in the background. If true, Susan seemed to be alive and well in October 1982. In my opinion, this was a voluntary disappearance at first but Susan's fate is still something living family members want information on, including a 96-year old mother as of the time of this post.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua
Back