When was the moment you realised Covid was serious?

It was around the middle of March 2020 when it hit me that this was real and would affect me, even though I was safely situated on an island in northern Ontario, Canada. I knew it was serious when our church agreed that we would not meet again until the virus had resolved. Occasionally we would cancel church for winter storms, but never had we cancelled church for an unknown length of time.

I was at the piano that Sunday and as people were leaving, I played the old hymn, 'Til We Meet Again. I had tears flowing down my face, thinking that it could be well into May or June before my beloved church family would get back together again.

I couldn't imagine that there would be children born and walking and we would still be separated.
Tears are running down my cheeks.
Many milestones have occurred to all of us during the pandemic: births, deaths, weddings, etc. Even though we’re still in the midst of the pandemic, we continue to support each other. I have also been able to see the beauty around me. I hug my grandkids harder and longer.

For me, having been following the Coronavirus threads on WS gave me a little heads-up that something bad was looming towards the tail end of February, because I remember thinking about how most of my students would be traveling for spring break (which started in early March 2020) and feeling apprehensive about being back in a classroom with all of them when we returned from break. I shouldn’t’ve worried, though, since we got the notice from my university on the Friday before break that we would be going remote for two weeks following spring break, and those two weeks stretched into almost 72 weeks. Only next week will I be returning to in-class teaching (students, staff, and faculty all fully masked/vaxxed per my university’s requirements), and I feel just about as nervous to do so as I did when I first began teaching at the college level 16 years ago!

I new it was bad when China started shutting everything down in early January 2020.

I was shocked when the schools and businesses in the U.S. shut down but I was glad that they did.

My city wasn't hard hit until April or May 2020.

Now, all of the ICU beds within a couple hundred miles are full again and our hospitals are opening new floors for Covid patients.

Yes, I thought the same. We began hearing about it in December, but it seemed to become a serious problem in China in early January. I remembered how quickly Ebola had spread to the US a few years ago, due to so much casual international travel by air these days.

I began reading in the threads here about how people were preparing and decided to order some N-95 masks in mid-February. Also picked up a large jug of hand sanitizer, etc. when it was still in the stores. There were a lot of good tips here at WS early on in the COVID 19 threads.

Tears are running down my cheeks.
Many milestones have occurred to all of us during the pandemic: births, deaths, weddings, etc. Even though we’re still in the midst of the pandemic, we continue to support each other. I have also been able to see the beauty around me. I hug my grandkids harder and longer.
((((Teche)))))

I first learned about it here. Mid February, we were on vacation, and I kept reading here about it getting worse and spreading. I told my husband about it and he said, "Huh, this might be what kills us all." Yikes. Our plane landed and I made him stop at Sams Club on the way home to buy 2 cases of TP. The next day I went to Walmart and filled a cart with dry goods, paid for it, took it to the car, and returned to the store and filled it again. Clorox wipes, bleach, hand sanitizer, masks, gloves, deoderant, razors, shampoo, toothpaste, tide pods, you name it. I must have spent a thousand dollars and I was damn glad I had it to spend. We've pretty much stayed home, masked up, social distanced and we've not gotten covid. Now we all are vaccinated. We are wearing masks again when we go out now. Two sons that are scientists. We're not messing around.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Sadly and unbelievably, there are still people who believe it is a hoax and a conspiracy by the government to control the citizens--- All I can say is: OY VAY
Yes! I live in Missouri and I'd say fully half the people are still staunch deniers. Also some Internet boards I peek at (but don't agree with) full of deniers.

It was around the middle of March 2020 when it hit me that this was real and would affect me, even though I was safely situated on an island in northern Ontario, Canada. I knew it was serious when our church agreed that we would not meet again until the virus had resolved. Occasionally we would cancel church for winter storms, but never had we cancelled church for an unknown length of time.

I was at the piano that Sunday and as people were leaving, I played the old hymn, 'Til We Meet Again. I had tears flowing down my face, thinking that it could be well into May or June before my beloved church family would get back together again.

I couldn't imagine that there would be children born and walking and we would still be separated.
I read a book about the 1918 flu and it described some small, relatively isolated towns in Canada and the flu sure enough got to them! It went all over the planet!

I read a book about the 1918 flu and it described some small, relatively isolated towns in Canada and the flu sure enough got to them! It went all over the planet!

I had seen a danish documentary on the spanish flu just days before they were starting to report about this strange virus in China, it had 3 waves in 3 years iirc, so it was fresh in my mind and I couldn´t help see the similarities as it progressed.

I had seen a danish documentary on the spanish flu just days before they were starting to report about this strange virus in China, it had 3 waves in 3 years iirc, so it was fresh in my mind and I couldn´t help see the similarities as it progressed.

To my way of thinking it is worse now than in 1918- we have learned nothing from that experience- 675,000 died from the Spanish Flu- that number is soon to be exceeded: we are already at 630,000- and counting. We could have learned so many lessons --but learned nothing and we have TECHNOLOGY- We have a vaccine that should be considered a miracle- it is highly effective in preventing serious illness and death and yet 90 million people have chosen not to utilize this gift of technology. We should have learned that masking is a mitigation tool in our struggle against the virus -instead it has been politicized to the point of absurdity--- We have been let down by our leaders and to some extent by experts ----So the death count continues and so many who survived have long haul syndrome (which I do not think occurred in 1918 with the flu)-- It is a sad and pathetic commentary on a country that had so many tools at its disposal and chose not to use those tools: it is pathetic, sad and maddening.

Last edited:
I am a carer and I remember being on a night shift in February and reading the China virus thread here. I didn’t feel too concerned but spent that night ordering extra PPE and meds and cleaning products.

I care for a wonderful young man with cerebral palsy, he’s CEV due to breathing difficulties already and relies on 2/3 carers 24 hours a day. I took him for his yearly health check in March 2020.
When we got to the surgery there were signs up saying not to enter if we had recently returned from China.

Inside we were shocked to see the receptionists wearing masks and there was a scary atmosphere in there, the usually friendly chatty receptionists seemed quiet and serious.

The man I look after is non verbal and I’ll never forget the fear in his eyes I think we both sensed it was serious then, we had no idea of how terrible the next year would be.

I have said this before on the covid thread but I am so grateful for the advice I got here from fellow posters about items to stock up on.
During the whole pandemic we never ran out of PPE and medication because of the orders I placed on that night shift.

The last 18 months have been difficult, I made the decision to continue working but this meant my partner had to give up his job, I couldn’t go anywhere apart from work in order to guarantee I wouldn’t take covid into work. My step children couldn’t come and stay with us unless I isolated for 2 weeks before returning to work.

I was at work when we first heard they had found a vaccine and we cried. As carers we were all called for the vaccine before the man we look after. I felt so guilty getting it before him. His sister went for her vaccine one evening and she cried and begged the staff and they agreed to give him the vaccine if he came straight away. We rushed him to Boston in his pyjamas and he was vaccinated! We cried tears of relief that night, that was the first time we began to feel hopeful of him getting some parts of his life back.

I have been extremely fortunate to have avoided covid so far, I’m in rural Lincolnshire and only recently have our cases been high. I know lots of people who have covid or are isolating right now.

Thank you everyone for all your replies, it’s quite emotional reading everyone’s stories and experiences. I wasn’t sure whether to start this thread but thought it could be cathartic.

One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, we will look back at this as history. For now, take care and stay safe and keep doing what you’re doing :)

Thank you everyone for all your replies, it’s quite emotional reading everyone’s stories and experiences. I wasn’t sure whether to start this thread but thought it could be cathartic.

One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, we will look back at this as history. For now, take care and stay safe and keep doing what you’re doing :)

Thank you for starting the thread. The last few days I’ve been reflecting a lot on the past year and a half and having flashbacks to certain points, like listening to Boris on the radio saying ‘ I am asking you all to stay at home’ I was driving like a crazy person to Nottingham to pick up my daughter before the lockdown.

I was scared I had visions of police or army doing roadblocks and not being able to pick her up. I didn’t know what the lockdown rules would be, I imaged in to be something like that film Contagion.

I think it’s good for us to be able to share our experiences, I’d avoided the covid thread recently as I just felt overwhelmed by it all but it feels good to talk about it.

I just can’t help worrying we aren’t over the worst of it yet.

I definitely don’t think we are over the worst of it here in US. I told my adult child yesterday...if you get scared for any reason, throw your pets and you in your car and come home. Between those who still live at home with me, we’ll find clothes to fit her and make it work with no preparation. There’s a lot going on in the world right now. All of you stay safe as well please. You’ve been my sanity and reason for months now. I appreciate you all.
Thank you for starting the thread. The last few days I’ve been reflecting a lot on the past year and a half and having flashbacks to certain points, like listening to Boris on the radio saying ‘ I am asking you all to stay at home’ I was driving like a crazy person to Nottingham to pick up my daughter before the lockdown.

I was scared I had visions of police or army doing roadblocks and not being able to pick her up. I didn’t know what the lockdown rules would be, I imaged in to be something like that film Contagion.

I think it’s good for us to be able to share our experiences, I’d avoided the covid thread recently as I just felt overwhelmed by it all but it feels good to talk about it.

I just can’t help worrying we aren’t over the worst of it yet.

I had been reading at WS for some time but I did not want to think this could come across country so quickly….. but on Mardi Gras Day, 2020……I turned on the tv and saw perhaps a million visitors in the New Orleans area…. I was sick. Am a retired nurse…and I knew we were in for trouble. Went to grocery to pick up supplies like we do for hurricanes, and there was a couple….an
MD and his wife who were using gloves and a mask. It was a real eye opener. Would love to thank all of you at WS for all you have done to keep us informed. Hugs, Lato

I was aware of the "mystery pneumonia" in China from December 2019 but I wasn't too alarmed by it initially. For me the moment it hit home that this was serious was late January 2020. The news was constantly showing Chinese construction crews building that massive Huoshenshan hospital in Wuhan for coronavirus patients, which they completed in just 10 days. I was gobsmacked by the scale and urgency of the operation and I knew then that coronavirus would not be confined to China. I had been half-expecting a global pandemic of some sort this decade and this novel coronavirus seemed highly transmissible and like a good candidate to go worldwide. I then started following @Amonet's thread here on WS religiously and I really credit it with preparing me and my family for what was to come.

The moment the pandemic properly affected us here in Ireland was early March 2020 when people who had been skiing in Italy started testing positive for Covid-19 here. But still things went on as normal for a week or so. Then on St Patrick's Day (March 17) our then Taoiseach (prime minister), who was on the annual Paddy's Day state trip to the US, dramatically made an emergency address to Ireland from Washington DC essentially shutting the country down, cancelling all public events, closing all schools and telling everyone to work from home with immediate effect. It was supposed to be "two weeks to flatten the curve". I knew it would take a lot longer than that and here we are a year and a half later, fully vaccinated but dealing with Delta, and with our day-to-day life still fairly unrecognisable compared to 2019. I think we still have a long way to go.

Yah. Eventually we can tell about all the activities we gave up and what we are now able to do again.

Gave up:

1.) Going to the movies
2.) Walking in the Mall
3.) Barns and Noble getting coffee
4.) Visiting my friends
5.) Going to church to volunteer
6.) Flying down to Houston to visit my kids.
7.) Staying in a cabin on a lake
8.) Vacations
9.) Fireworks (cancelled here)
10.) Restaurants
11.) Shopping and browsing other than grocery stores
12.) Dental work I need
13.) Podiatrist

What I will do when I get my 2nd shot

1.) Walking in the Mall
2.) Barnes and Noble browsing with coffee
3.) Visiting friends who are vaccinated
4.) Shopping and browsing in stores
5.) Staying in a cabin on lake Glenn near Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes
6.) Dental work I need
7.) Podiatrist

Still not sure about the rest that entail crowded spaces like .......

Church - planes - restaurants - movies - ?

Last edited:
I was aware of the "mystery pneumonia" in China from December 2019 but I wasn't too alarmed by it initially. For me the moment it hit home that this was serious was late January 2020. The news was constantly showing Chinese construction crews building that massive Huoshenshan hospital in Wuhan for coronavirus patients, which they completed in just 10 days. I was gobsmacked by the scale and urgency of the operation and I knew then that coronavirus would not be confined to China. I had been half-expecting a global pandemic of some sort this decade and this novel coronavirus seemed highly transmissible and like a good candidate to go worldwide. I then started following @Amonet's thread here on WS religiously and I really credit it with preparing me and my family for what was to come.

The moment the pandemic properly affected us here in Ireland was early March 2020 when people who had been skiing in Italy started testing positive for Covid-19 here. But still things went on as normal for a week or so. Then on St Patrick's Day (March 17) our then Taoiseach (prime minister), who was on the annual Paddy's Day state trip to the US, dramatically made an emergency address to Ireland from Washington DC essentially shutting the country down, cancelling all public events, closing all schools and telling everyone to work from home with immediate effect. It was supposed to be "two weeks to flatten the curve". I knew it would take a lot longer than that and here we are a year and a half later, fully vaccinated but dealing with Delta, and with our day-to-day life still fairly unrecognisable compared to 2019. I think we still have a long way to go.

You mention Saint Patrick's day. That reminds me.....

When my 89 yr old dad realized it was serious

Not long before March 17th 2020 we were not going to crowded indoor spaces.

So my dad hadn't "got the message" and was set to go to a pub on Saint Patrick's day.
I desperately did not want him to. Then it happened, Saint Patrick's day March 2020
all the restaurants closed down for indoor dining.

The day before Saint Patrick's day was the last time we could sit and
dine-in, in a restaurant. Dad couldn't go to the pub. :(;)

That' s when he finally got serious about it. He was one of the first to get vaccinated in our area. His family practice Dr's office called him and set up his appointment.

Last edited:
Great thread!

For me, it wasn't a single moment when it hit me, rather it was a slow dawning as certain events unfolded, such as Kansas Gov. Kelly ending the public students' school year a month early, in combination with panic buying and seeing shoppers in masks.

About that same time, we all were finding out that it hit the elderly the hardest, and I felt responsible for making sure my elderly mom was safe. That was the biggest burden for me, since she wasn't happy being isolated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko
Back