WI WI - Amos Mortier, 27, Fitchburg, 8 Nov 2004

So often LE closes the parent or parents of a missing person out and refuse to tell them anything. That has to be the most frustrating thing that I can ever imagine. Parents are worried sick and haven't a clue what has happened to their child and then LE are secretive about anything that they might have learned while investigating.

I think this is what happened to Amos's mother. She was totally shut out and was just fed little crumbs. That just didn't work. I realize that LE can't tell everything about a case but for heaven's sake...don't shut the parnets out. They have to know what is going on and what LE have learned if anything. How do they keep their sanity without knowing something. It really is unfair and shouldn't be allowed.

Sometimes parents are told things that they don't want to accept. If the drug thing is true maybe Amos's mother didn't know that he was involved with the selling of drugs...if he was. He was living away from home and maybe he was a real straight kid while growing up and living at home. If that were the case I can understand her being so upset when drugs entered the picture and Amos might have confronted this dealer who owed him money. She wouldn't have had a clue and of course she would have gotten upset.

I hope that the truth is found out in this case and that Amos is found. I hope that he is alive and maybe just hiding somewhere afraid to contact anyone that he knows...even his mother. Maybe he thinks that knowing where he is could be a threat to his mother. It is a sad thing that this mother has been in the dark most of the time her son has been missing. Hopfully that will change soon.

I also found this article just a moment ago:

Dated: SAT., JUL 28, 2007 - 12:57 AM
". . . Mortier, who was attending Madison Area Technical College, was last seen Nov. 8, 2004. His Fitchburg home was found unlocked with records still spinning on a turntable and his wallet and a check for $1,000 on a table. His two vehicles were at the residence, and his dog was found wandering nearby a couple days later.
Investigators also found spots of what they suspected to be blood in a bathroom, and a cadaver dog indicated the presence of potential biological evidence on grass outside . . ."
Note: I added the bolding in the quotes.
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/local/203200

I also found this article just a moment ago:

Dated: SAT., JUL 28, 2007 - 12:57 AM
". . . Mortier, who was attending Madison Area Technical College, was last seen Nov. 8, 2004. His Fitchburg home was found unlocked with records still spinning on a turntable and his wallet and a check for $1,000 on a table. His two vehicles were at the residence, and his dog was found wandering nearby a couple days later.
Investigators also found spots of what they suspected to be blood in a bathroom, and a cadaver dog indicated the presence of potential biological evidence on grass outside . . ."
Note: I added the bolding in the quotes.
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/local/203200

I wonder how throughly LE had questioned the neighbors? If something happened outside maybe someone saw something. Of course the people who lived near Amos then could have moved to who knows where by now. With his vehicles in his driveway and his home looking like he was in the middle of hanging things on the wall someone had to have drug him out of the house because he probably didn't go willingly. Especially if it looked like blood in the bathroom and some type of evidence in the grass.

So often LE closes the parent or parents of a missing person out and refuse to tell them anything. That has to be the most frustrating thing that I can ever imagine. Parents are worried sick and haven't a clue what has happened to their child and then LE are secretive about anything that they might have learned while investigating.

I think this is what happened to Amos's mother. She was totally shut out and was just fed little crumbs. That just didn't work. I realize that LE can't tell everything about a case but for heaven's sake...don't shut the parnets out. They have to know what is going on and what LE have learned if anything. How do they keep their sanity without knowing something. It really is unfair and shouldn't be allowed.

Sometimes parents are told things that they don't want to accept. If the drug thing is true maybe Amos's mother didn't know that he was involved with the selling of drugs...if he was. He was living away from home and maybe he was a real straight kid while growing up and living at home. If that were the case I can understand her being so upset when drugs entered the picture and Amos might have confronted this dealer who owed him money. She wouldn't have had a clue and of course she would have gotten upset.

I hope that the truth is found out in this case and that Amos is found. I hope that he is alive and maybe just hiding somewhere afraid to contact anyone that he knows...even his mother. Maybe he thinks that knowing where he is could be a threat to his mother. It is a sad thing that this mother has been in the dark most of the time her son has been missing. Hopfully that will change soon.

I think you make an excellent point! My mom worked at the DA's office in Madison for about 10 years or so-for what's called Crime response. Basically mom worked with familes who had a member murdered, missing, raped etc. She would get called out onto the scene of the crime so she knew what was going on, then would accompany the detective/cop/coroner to let relatives know what had happened. She was with these familes all the way through the court process as well. More of a liasion between the police and families or victims-b/c like you said police shut them out (my mom says they don't know how to talk to them either :) So the copps knew my mom, shared updated info, and relayed to the family. I wish my mom still worked there....so does she. I think the last case she worked on was a triple homicide in Verona, WI. Anyway, I wish there were more of "crime response" around. I know Julie Foley still works there, she's amazing! Sorry to ramble on.....

Marisa

I think you make an excellent point! My mom worked at the DA's office in Madison for about 10 years or so-for what's called Crime response. Basically mom worked with familes who had a member murdered, missing, raped etc. She would get called out onto the scene of the crime so she knew what was going on, then would accompany the detective/cop/coroner to let relatives know what had happened. She was with these familes all the way through the court process as well. More of a liasion between the police and families or victims-b/c like you said police shut them out (my mom says they don't know how to talk to them either :) So the copps knew my mom, shared updated info, and relayed to the family. I wish my mom still worked there....so does she. I think the last case she worked on was a triple homicide in Verona, WI. Anyway, I wish there were more of "crime response" around. I know Julie Foley still works there, she's amazing! Sorry to ramble on.....

Marisa

Most DA's offices - in fact all in WI, I think - have victim's advocacy liasons. It's a great program. I think the problem here is the unique situation that missing adults have - are they victims, voluntary disappearance, etc...

Can someone tell me why LE would tell Amos' friends to not talk to his mom?

I took it more as his friend not wanting to talk to Amos' mom and just having secluded himself (denial?). Maybe he's worried about the drug world.

Hey guys,
I was checking the local news and this was on the front page of the website, what do you guys think?

Nathan Comp, who now lives in Philadelphia, said he has uncovered evidence that a 41-year-old Madison man might have killed Amos Mortier and dumped his body on a hog farm.
Comp said an unidentified source close to the case gave him sealed grand jury testimony and other documents that point to the man as a prime suspect who was never properly investigated.
Comp said in an Isthmus article Thursday that police have known about an alleged Mortier murder confession since 2005, but in an interview with WISC-TV, Comp claimed that police failed to properly follow up on it.

Comp said that a 2006 witness in the grand jury investigation testified that his former neighbor, a Madison man, confessed to stabbing Mortier over money.
"According to the witness, it had to do in part with the debt he allegedly owed Amos -- $80,000 for marijuana that had been stolen from him," Comp said.
Comp said the Madison man denies any wrongdoing, so he has given him the fictitious name of "Brad Green."
Comp said federal and local police have never properly investigated Green or checked his house or vehicle for evidence. He said even Green admits he wasn't asked where he was the day Mortier disappeared.
Comp said Green allegedly was supposed to meet Mortier for dinner the day he disappeared.
"But instead of going to dinner, 'Brad Green' took Amos to see some land he wanted to purchase. So, he got him into an isolated area and that's where an argument happened and murder allegedly occurred," Comp said.
Comp said that Green apparently told the witness that he'd stabbed Mortier and dumped his body at a pig farm near Poynette because "pigs will eat bones and teeth."
Comp said that U.S. attorneys strangely never asked the grand jury witness about where the hog farm was located or any other details related to the murder confession.

More at link...

http://www.channel3000.com/news/18701805/detail.html

Marisa

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/1470382.html

UPDATE Posted Wednesday September 16, 2009 -- 5:13pm
By Zac Schultz

Fitchburg: Investigators say the DNA from a local man could prove he killed Amos Mortier.

Amos Mortier disappeared in November of 2004. Friends went to his Fitchburg home and found a half-smoked joint in the ashtray and his turntables still running.

His body has never been found, and police believe Mortier was killed over drug debts.

According to a search warrant filed in Dane County Court, Mortier was a high level drug dealer. Each month he received about 80 pounds of marijuana from the east coast and sold it to local dealers.

Police say it was 30 pounds of missing dope that led to Mortier's death.

http://dailyme.com/story/2010081300002394/fitchurg-man-accused-wire-fraud-perjury.html

THE WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL | ED TRELEVEN | Fri, Aug 13, 7:40 AM

Aug. 13--A federal grand jury on Wednesday issued wire fraud and perjury charges against a Fitchburg man awaiting trial for his role in a large-scale marijuana distribution scheme.

Jacob Stadfeld, 34, who police say is also a suspect in the 2004 disappearance of Amos Mortier, was indicted in U.S. District Court on eight counts of wire fraud in connection with his concert promotion business. Some clients said Stadfeld took their money but failed to set up shows that were promised and didn't return their money, according to the indictment.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_bed3f2e0-aefa-11df-88dc-001cc4c03286.html

One of two men who sold marijuana for a missing Fitchburg man pleaded guilty Monday in federal court to taking part in a marijuana distribution conspiracy.

Brent Delzer, 36, who had been scheduled to stand trial next week with Jacob Stadfeld, another alleged dealer who was supplied marijuana by Amos Mortier, now faces a mandatory minimum of five years in prison. Federal prosecutors, however, will ask that Delzer qualify for a "safety valve" provision that will allow U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb to sentence him well below the minimum.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_eb284660-b49b-11df-ae70-001cc4c03286.html

The federal marijuana conspiracy trial of Jacob Stadfeld, said by police and prosecutors to be a suspect in the 2004 disappearance and presumed death of Amos Mortier, got under way Monday with verbal jousts between prosecution witnesses and Stadfeld's attorneys.

But by design, there was no mention of Mortier's disappearance, even though it was the catalyst for the marijuana conspiracy case that has led to the convictions of five others in U.S. District Court in Madison.

I hope that someday, Amos' mother will have answers to what happened to her son.

http://www.findamos.com/

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_f4a07036-b622-11df-92e8-001cc4c03286.html

The marijuana conspiracy trial of a man who was in business with a Fitchburg man who disappeared nearly six years ago ended Wednesday with a guilty verdict.

Jacob Stadfeld, 34, faces up to life in prison, with a mandatory minimum of 10 years

Police consider Stadfeld a prime suspect in Mortier's disappearance. After the verdict, Fitchburg police Lt. Todd Stetzer said the drug case is separate from the investigation into Mortier's presumed death, but the verdict puts Stadfeld "in a location where we know where he is."

The homicide investigation, he said, "is not dead by any means."

Shame it was barred, would have been nice if they were able to question about it to get any possible leads

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_f4a07036-b622-11df-92e8-001cc4c03286.html

The marijuana conspiracy trial of a man who was in business with a Fitchburg man who disappeared nearly six years ago ended Wednesday with a guilty verdict.

Mortier has been missing since November 2004. But mention of his disappearance was barred by U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb during Stadfeld's three-day trial.

"We're disappointed, obviously," by the verdict, said Steven Rueckert, one of Stadfeld's lawyers. He said an appeal is likely on issues such as a decision not to suppress Stadfeld's statement to police.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back